Is geoengineering occuring?

How would that be different? They still have to operate on earth in some country, and that country would have to take responsibility for their actions.
Possibly, but the CIA contracts other companies in other countries, etc. they sure conducted activities only surfaced after WikiLeaks illuminated them . . . we are talking about maybe as few as 14 aircraft flown by a third party contractor within the territory of Russia, Canada and so forth . . . could the countries turn their head and stay above public criticism . . . ? Good question?

Jay, do you not think the current public debate and political posturing make it more likely now than before the possibility of a unilateral geoengineering effort?

I don't see any sign of public debate or political posturing on this. It is about as public as a mouse and no politician is posturing. You need to get some perspective,
George. Ask 1000 people on the street what geoengineering is, or ask 10 random politicians and then get back to me. None of will have any idea.

Ask an aerosol scientist if they would notice an increase atmospheric aerosol optical density leading to a decrease in solar transmission. That is what you said you would do. At that point you would have something more to say than asking speculative leading questions.
Is it such a bad thing to 'ask questions'?
If James Lovelock had not asked questions we may well be still Geoengineering inadvertently by releasing CFC's.
I am not necessarily against it. I would just like it to be openly discussed and evaluated, particularly by those who have expertise in the field.

George is no James Lovelock, for instance, Lovelock has been able to actually admit he was wrong about climate change(he was very pessimistic at one time).

Good to bring up Lovelock. George should probably try to get him to comment on his questions. He is available at his website:
http://www.jameslovelock.org/
In fact, George, I challenge you to write him. Show us the letter. Show you are serious. Ask questions of people with specific expertise to the question.

Possibly, but the CIA contracts other companies in other countries, etc. they sure conducted activities only surfaced after WikiLeaks illuminated them . . . we are talking about maybe as few as 14 aircraft flown by a third party contractor within the territory of Russia, Canada and so forth . . . could the countries turn their head and stay above public criticism . . . ? Good question?

Moot question. If geoengineering were undertaken, it would have to have enough effect to be detectable, then it would be detected. There is simply no way to hide geoengineering, George. Geoengineering isn't something that can be hidden in the background. If it were having an effect, the effect would be measurable. We went through this many times before when you were asking about such a covert James Bond scheme. Now you took a vacation and want to ride that same donkey all over again. You cannot hide the sun and no one notice, George. To speculate that you can is simply to ignore that you cannot. Don't be like all the other chemtrail believers and try to hide that you have been shown this already. Don't try and hide your agenda in sophistric questions. We easily see through all of that.

I don't see any sign of public debate or political posturing on this. It is about as public as a mouse and no politician is posturing. You need to get some perspective,
George. Ask 1000 people on the street what geoengineering is, or ask 10 random politicians and then get back to me. None of will have any idea.

Ask an aerosol scientist if they would notice an increase atmospheric aerosol optical density leading to a decrease in solar transmission. That is what you said you would do. At that point you would have something more to say than asking speculative leading questions.

George is no James Lovelock, for instance, Lovelock has been able to actually admit he was wrong about climate change(he was very pessimistic at one time).

Good to bring up Lovelock. George should probably try to get him to comment on his questions. He is available at his website:
http://www.jameslovelock.org/
In fact, George, I challenge you to write him. Show us the letter. Show you are serious. Ask questions of people with specific expertise to the question.

Here is some public discussion and polls . . .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...y-seeding-stratosphere-sulfare_n_1564288.html

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/geoengineering-poll/

Poll Finds Support for Geoengineering by Blocking Sunshine
So-called solar radiation management is popular according to a recent poll

By Julia Pyper and ClimateWire

A new study finds that the majority of people in America, Canada and Britain approve of more research in the nascent field of climate manipulation known as geoengineering.
A full 72 percent of participants in the survey, published in Environmental Research Letters, said they "supported" or "somewhat supported" the study of solar radiation management (SRM). The technique seeks to inject sulfur into the atmosphere to reflect sunlight and offset the warming caused by carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.
"I think that level of support was higher than my co-authors and I were expecting," said Ashley Mercer, lead author and a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Calgary in Alberta. Mercer said she became interested in SRM because of the ethical implications of the climate-manipulating practice and a lack of documented public input on the matter.
The Internet-based poll of 3,105 people from Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States is the first international analysis on the public perception of geoengineering and SRM.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-support-for-geoengineering-blocking-sunshine

Content from External Source
Political posturing . . .

Russia urges UN climate report to include geoengineering
The Russian government is asking for 'planet hacking' to be included in the climate science report, leaked documents show
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/19/russia-un-climate-report-geoengineering

Last edited:
And if it
You are splitting unnecessary hairs . . . what difference does it make?

Really? you think that the difference between the actual concentration and the rate of change of concentration is splitting hairs?

The defence rests m'lud - there is clearly no reason to continue paying any attention to this witness.

But what point are you making?
I don't know if the scientific community is paying enough attention to the potential of unilateral actions in the area of geoengineering . . . I think it is very difficult to detect if said activities are under way or being planned . . .

1) How sensitive are the monitoring systems to warn of such actions . . . ?
2) How seriously does anyone think actions could be taken . . ?
3) and if discovered could it be stopped?

And if it

Really? you think that the difference between the actual concentration and the rate of change of concentration is splitting hairs?

The defence rests m'lud - there is clearly no reason to continue paying any attention to this witness.
Within the context in which I was stating the obvious . . . No . . . the point is . . . the way to manage SO2 concentration in the stratosphere is extremely complicated and the where, when, how frequent and how long it stays in the Stratosphere whether the concentrations are increasing or decreasing is the only point . . .

Moot question. If geoengineering were undertaken, it would have to have enough effect to be detectable, then it would be detected. There is simply no way to hide geoengineering, George. Geoengineering isn't something that can be hidden in the background. If it were having an effect, the effect would be measurable. We went through this many times before when you were asking about such a covert James Bond scheme. Now you took a vacation and want to ride that same donkey all over again. You cannot hide the sun and no one notice, George. To speculate that you can is simply to ignore that you cannot. Don't be like all the other chemtrail believers and try to hide that you have been shown this already. Don't try and hide your agenda in sophistric questions. We easily see through all of that.
How many times do I have to say I don't buy your argument any more than you buy mine . . . effects can be felt, measured, etc. and scientists can be fooled (SO2 has no finger prints) or confused about the real sources . . . it has happened, it did happen and it can happen again . . . especially if they ignore a possible explanation because of bias . . .

I will address my questions to the appropriate authority when I have the questions appropriately drafted . . . I asked for your input . . . I suppose you chose not to give any . . . I will research James Lovelock. . .

Last edited:
No not like Blackwater, because we're talking about geoengineering.
No kidding ? I was just pointing out how there was no accountibility with third party contractors by government . So it would make perfect sense to use a third party to geoengineer .

Sometimes I really don't think you get my point at all . . . I am not saying geoengineering is occurring presently . . . I am saying . . . a well thought out sulfur injection program if initiated would be very difficult to detect especially in the first several months or possibly years. Because of the recent and continual political leveraging going on it is much more likely someone, for example, Russia could act unilaterally . . . and if we are not looking closely and accept geoengineering is possible the scientific community could miss it . . .

I'm going to say a big no george

Within the context in which I was stating the obvious . . . No . . . the point is . . . the way to manage SO2 concentration in the stratosphere is extremely complicated and the where, when, how frequent and how long it stays in the Stratosphere whether the concentrations are increasing or decreasing is the only point . . .

And that just speaks more to the silliness of your argument that somehow you think the amount of SO2 isn't important.....

No kidding ? I was just pointing out how there was no accountibility with third party contractors by government . So it would make perfect sense to use a third party to geoengineer .
But if a contract exists between them to do something, they would still be responsible.
Getting a third-party to geoengineer the planet for a government is a very specific act with no ambiguity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most . . . yes . . . the question presently is . . . is there now a greater chance politically for unilateral action by a country, countries or private third party to initiate a geoengineering program and if they did could they be stopped . . .

I don't know. Is there?

Are you making any claims of evidence?

I don't know. Is there?

There has been speculation and an article cited earlier in the thread about Russia pushing to keep geoengineering on the table . . .

Russia urges UN climate report to include geoengineering
The Russian government is asking for 'planet hacking' to be included in the climate science report, leaked documents show
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/19/russia-un-climate-report-geoengineering
In 2010, Russia joined with Japan in an attempt to water down a resolution to restrict research into geoengineering at a meeting of the Convention on Biological Diversity.

In pursuing the climate engineering agenda, a Russian government is likely to face fewer domestic constraints than more developed democracies. Pro-geoengineering analysts writing for a US conservative thinktank have argued thatnations with weak environmental lobbies (meaning China and Russia) will be able to deploy "solar radiation management" with muted internal opposition.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/24/why-geoengineering-suits-russias-carbon-agenda

There has been speculation and an article cited earlier in the thread about Russia pushing to keep geoengineering on the table . . .

Yes. Russia apparently wants to research geoengineering. So what? George, what point are you trying to make?

Although these speculative explorations of yours might make for interesting conversations, I wonder if this is the proper forum for them. As you don't make any claims of evidence, you leave nothing to debunk.

Yes. Russia apparently wants to research geoengineering. So what? George, what point are you trying to make?

Although these speculative explorations of yours might make for interesting conversations, I wonder if this is the proper forum for them. As you don't make any claims of evidence, you leave nothing to debunk.
The following is all . . . the question presently is . . . is there now a greater chance politically for unilateral action by a country, countries or private third party to initiate a geoengineering program and if they did . . Could they be stopped . . Is IMO an important question. . .

The following is all . . . the question presently is . . . is there now a greater chance politically for unilateral action by a country, countries or private third party to initiate a geoengineering program and if they did . . Could they be stopped . . Is IMO an important question. . .

I don't know. Is there? Could they be?

I don't know. Is there? Could they be?

I took the position that any nation or private foundation could not be stopped because there was no law or Treaty which would prevent them . . . if you would like to debunk that be my guest . . .

On the whole 3rd party thing...

IMG_1505.JPG

Uh oh... Am I in trouble? I wrote "Metabunk" to demonstrate provenance. Perhaps my username would have been a better choice?

I took the position that any nation or private foundation could not be stopped because there was no law or Treaty which would prevent them

That's an interesting position. Although somewhat off topic considering the thread is titled "Is geoengineering occurring?" and not "Can geoengineering be stopped?"

Russ George the entrepreneur, rogue geoengineer, carbon credit schemer, champion of fish, scientist (with apparently no formal education) was twice prevented from conducting iron fertilization "experiments" without any laws or treaties in place. When he finally managed to dump 100 tons of iron in the ocean, he was fired from his own company, lost financial backing and is going before the courts to answer for his actions.

The latest word from the people who contracted Russ is that perhaps they will explore alternate avenues for increasing salmon stocks.:rolleyes:

Let's get back on topic George. Is geoengineering occurring?

That's an interesting position. Although somewhat off topic considering the thread is titled "Is geoengineering occurring?" and not "Can geoengineering be stopped?"

Russ George the entrepreneur, rogue geoengineer, carbon credit schemer, champion of fish, scientist (with apparently no formal education) was twice prevented from conducting iron fertilization "experiments" without any laws or treaties in place. When he finally managed to dump 100 tons of iron in the ocean, he was fired from his own company, lost financial backing and is going before the courts to answer for his actions.

The latest word from the people who contracted Russ is that perhaps they will explore alternate avenues for increasing salmon stocks.:rolleyes:

Let's get back on topic George. Is geoengineering occurring?

I think there is no convincing evidence there is . . . but I don't think I can eliminate the possibility there may be some efforts to initiate some program . . . and I think it would be difficult to discover a well planned and managed program unless the people managing said program went public . . .

I think there is no convincing evidence there is . . . but I don't think I can eliminate the possibility there may be some efforts to initiate some program . . . and I think it would be difficult to discover a well planned and managed program unless the people managing said program went public . . .

Did you really need to add that last sentence? Before you edited your post, I was about to like your response because you actually provided a concise and on topic reply.

Regarding your last point, I agree... an undetectable geoengineering program would be impossible to detect.

Last edited:
Off topic but a while ago I went to a lecture simply called "Geoengineering Africa". (I know I live a rock and roll lifestyle ;-) ). Anyway it was mainly all about desert greening and the present technologies used. The final section and Q&A discussed future possibilities, the use of GM in pioneer species or rainforest development, massive solar power schemes, canal building etc. It was all very exciting and more of this is going to enter public discussion in the next year.

The reason I mention it is that during the Q&A one person asked why there was no mention about SAG. He was told that the subject was about terrestrial avenues that are in action at the moment. When the chap claimed spraying was happening he was laughed out of the theatre. I guess he attended purely due to geoengineering in the title and presumed chemtrails where all encompassing

Would diverting sewerage inland to dry desert areas to fertilise and green them qualify as geo-engineering?

Because I think it can happen . . . and I think the scientific community is not alert to the possibility and could miss the opportunity to limit potential damage . . .

Many things "can" happen but aren't.
1) Things are sometimes not detected because no one is paying attention . . . no one believes some one would take unilateral action . . . so detection is in essence not impossible but like a magician uses slight of hand to distract an audience the people initiating geoengineering are counting on evidence being easily explained away because geoengineering is rejected as a possible explanation . . .

It seems like a lot of people are paying attention to what the skies look like. Look at the amount of "chemtrail" information on the web.

2) I suggest the scientific community should seriously consider the possibility that this could occur . . . and it could be detected if they were diligent and consider the possibility it could be happening or might happen in the near future . . .

I think the scientific community knows geoengineering could occur. What makes you think they don't? THere are papers that are misquoted all over the place to "prove" it is happening already.

I also believe that if it were occurring there would be scientists falling all over themselves to prove it was. Look at all the new information about evolution, fossils, etc, that comes out time and again.
3) IMO the ground work is being laid to either convince the world community geoengineering is essential in the near future or they are buying time and trying to immunize themselves from the potential of massive blowback once their existing actions are discovered . . . Interference could sink their plans . . . the lead time for such an undertaking is significant . .

You're moving to fantasy scenarios and plans.

If James Lovelock had not asked questions we may well be still Geoengineering inadvertently by releasing CFC's..

Well, there you have it. There are a LOT of people Just Asking Questions all over the place but they still don't have answers they want to hear, so they keep asking questions.

How in the world did you conclude that??

Because you said it right here on this page just 4 days ago:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay, do you not think the current public debate and political posturing make it more likely now than before the possibility of a unilateral geoengineering effort?

Unilateral, do you mean more than one country cooperating to do it? Nope.

When Mount Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, spewing tons of sulfate particles in the atmosphere, it temporarily whitened the sky.
Someone mentioned this, didn't they? That it would be noticable?

I don't know if the scientific community is paying enough attention to the potential of unilateral actions in the area of geoengineering . . . I think it is very difficult to detect if said activities are under way or being planned . . .

See above.

Back