Flat Earth and Refraction with Oil Platforms Hillhouse and Habitat

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdNhf-Ye1gQ

Oil rigs off the coast of Santa Barbara give us some great opportunities to view the curve of the Earth. But they also provide great opportunities for refraction to confuse the issue. How do we know it's not just refraction on a flat earth that just LOOKS round? I've added the oil-rigs to my refraction simulator, so people can experiment with what refraction is capable of doing. Also to demonstrate that you can't actually make a Flat Earth look round with refraction.

https://www.metabunk.org/refraction...*20Habitat*20Oil*20Rigs*20*28CLEAR*20DAY*29)_

About standard refraction:

Metabunk 2020-03-08 11-23-14.jpg

Raised Platform Habitat, with stretched section:
Metabunk 2020-03-08 11-23-40.jpg

Flat Earth looking round with impossible negative temperature gradient.
Metabunk 2020-03-08 11-24-54.jpg

Rodoxag

I have a question. You've stated that a temperature gradient like the one necessary to simulate a curve on a flat earth is impossible (roughly decreasing 6°C in 110 ft, or -0.05°C/ft), but when simulating refraction on the globe you used basically the same gradient but as an inversion (increasing 4°C in 70 ft, which is 0.05°C/ft). How realistic is that temperature inversion? I couldn't find reliable measurements of temperature gradients within these altitudes.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question. You've stated that a temperature gradient like the one necessary to simulate a curve on a flat earth is impossible (roughly decreasing 6°C in 110 ft, or -0.05°C/ft), but when simulating refraction on the globe you used basically the same gradient but as an inversion (increasing 4°C in 70 ft, which is 0.05°C/ft). How realistic is that temperature inversion? I couldn't find reliable measurements of temperature gradients within these altitudes.
Good point. The reason it's possible to have warm air above cold air in a relatively steep gradient is that cold air sinks. If the ocean is cooling the air above it, then it's not going anywhere. But if the ocean is warming the air, then that air rises. Low altitude hot air is inherently unstable.

It would be interesting to get some numbers here, but there does not seem to be much of a focus on measuring over the first 100 feet. It would seem to be easy to do though, perhaps with a drone carrying a thermometer.

Mendel

It would be interesting to get some numbers here, but there does not seem to be much of a focus on measuring over the first 100 feet. It would seem to be easy to do though, perhaps with a drone carrying a thermometer.
I'm thinking that a drone might cause too much air flow and upset the gradient, perhaps a balloon on a kite line with length markers? There are cheap radio thermometer sensors for home use (so you can place a sensor on the outside wall without the need to drill a hole), but getting the balloon over the water probably requires a boat, making this setup more difficult to implement.

Rodoxag

If someone could do it, it would be a great opportunity to truly validate your refraction model. Nervertheless, I was having a lot of trouble understanding the effects of refraction both on a globe and on a plane, but your model helped me understand a lot better.

Still, it's very interesting to note that these flatearthers claim that the picture in which the crane is behind the curve is under greater atmospheric effects than the one that appears flat, when actually the first one is clearer, and the other one is blurry and with serious distortion.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
H Illusions of Curvature - RC Boat Hidden on Small Pond Flat Earth 10
Wiggles Refraction Variations Over Water to Bell Island Flat Earth 27
Qulaey Explained: 17.61 Mile Mirror Flash Supposedly Proves Flat Earth [Refraction] Flat Earth 5
MisterB Debunked: Isle of Man from Blackpool at water level proves flat earth [refraction] Flat Earth 19
Mick West Curvature and Refraction in Surveying and Leveling Through History. Old Books, etc. Flat Earth 14
jeranism Explained: Observations of Canigou, Curvature of the Earth & Atmospheric Refraction Flat Earth 158
Sandor Szekely Atmospheric sunlight refraction arguments on the Eratosthenes triangulation method Flat Earth 37
David Ridlen Earth curvature refraction experiments - debunking flat/concave Earth Flat Earth 344
J Claim sun paths prove flat earth Flat Earth 41
J Are sun shadows only possible on a flat earth? Flat Earth 5
Code-Beta 300 miles visibility on Antartica? Flat Earth 2
M Bornong Flat Earth vs Oblate Spheroid: Earthquakes Flat Earth 3
Bunkmeister Cosmonaut Miroslaw Hermaczewski allegedly says earth is flat - [joke] Flat Earth 10
Mick West TFTRH #29 - Geoff: Everything is a Hoax, The Earth Might Be Flat Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
Cassi O Google Maps Measure Distance Using Great Circle Flat Earth 0
Mick West TFTRH #14: Rory – Flat Earth Debunking and Spiritual Journeys Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 6
Wiggles I could have spiralled into flat earth belief. Escaping The Rabbit Hole 36
Mick West Demonstrating the Curve of the Earth with observations of Beachy Head from Worthing Flat Earth 38
Mick West Why Flat Earth Laser Tests are Misleading Flat Earth 13
Rory Calculator for viewing angles Tools for Investigating and Debunking 12
Rory Claim: footage of Great South Bay Bridge supports flat earth Flat Earth 11
Rory How can we explain perspective calculations simply? Flat Earth 39
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
Mendel Debunked: Air Map of the World 1945 is a flat Earth map Flat Earth 0
T Observations of a Wind Farm Over the Curve of The Earth Flat Earth 0
Mendel Homemade Gyrocompass finds North by Spin Flat Earth 0
brad fuller Does the inverse-square law apply to the flat-earth debunking tool chest? Flat Earth 4
Rory Earth curve calculator for obstructions Tools for Investigating and Debunking 9
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Rory Debunked: 120-mile shot of San Jacinto proves flat earth Flat Earth 39
Mick West What does the Flat Earth Look Like From Space, with Perspective? Flat Earth 19
Neil Obstat Claim: zooming in on setting sun proves flat earth Flat Earth 23
Mick West Earth's Radius Calculator (from the amount a distant object is obscured) Tools for Investigating and Debunking 0
Whitebeard Quick and easy demonstration of the shape of the Earth Flat Earth 7
I Nathan Oakley's Flat Earth "Debates". Flat Earth 69
Rory Recreating the Bedford Level Experiment Flat Earth 8
danno Using a very long water level to measure Earth's curvature Flat Earth 16
qed Third of millennials NOT convinced Earth is round Flat Earth 27
Mick West Debunking Guidelines for: "Convex Earth - The Documentary" Flat Earth 0
Nth Claim: 146 Mile Microwave Transmission Proves Flat Earth Flat Earth 26
Benjamin Moore Explained: Why Earth Has A Magnetic Core Even Though the core is Molten Metal Flat Earth 2
Mick West RT Promoting Flat Earth? Flat Earth 31
R “Flat Earth” map General Discussion 2
Rory Flat Earth debunked by measuring angles to the sun Flat Earth 36
StarGazer Claim: First Image of Space Taken from V-2 Rocket Proves the Earth is Flat Flat Earth 17
M Do Ibiza and Mallorca prove a Flat Earth? [No, they demonstrate the curve of the globe] Flat Earth 24
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
Mick West What Happened When Engineers Forgot The Earth Was Round Flat Earth 1
Mick West Earth Curvature Simulation by Walter Bislins Flat Earth 9
Related Articles

Related Articles