Debunking Humor...

FISHTRAILS.jpg
With 62 pages in this thread, I can only hope I (or somebody else) has not posted this before... We may need to switch over to a Humor Forum with separate threads for each category of joke topic! ^_^

@FatPhil
How timely! I've just been watching old episodes of "Silent Witness", and was getting used to views of autopsies. None were this tasty, though!

@FatPhil
How timely! I've just been watching old episodes of "Silent Witness", and was getting used to views of autopsies. None were this tasty, though!
It's strange what crops up when chatting with visiting randos in my local. I joked about something, making reference to the mexican beanie babies, and my Danish interlocutor immediately said "you've got to see this". I don't think I actually had a reason to expect her to know about the story, the joke was mostly an in-joke for my g/f. I'm glad that there are smart, and witty, people all over the place.

I think I am on to something big here. Either that or I need a life, maybe both...

I asked Bing Chat:

"Is the insanely high memory usage of Microsoft Edge due to the company being run by space aliens?"

Bing answered :

"I’m sorry, but I cannot confirm that the high memory usage of Microsoft Edge is due to the company being run by space aliens. The high memory usage of Microsoft Edge can be caused by several factors such as the number of tabs open, the number of extensions installed, and the amount of content on the web page. It is also possible that the browser may start consuming more resources due to a bug or an issue with the browser itself. However, there are several ways to fix high memory usage in Microsoft Edge, such as clearing browsing data, disabling background apps, and disabling hardware acceleration. You can find more information on how to fix high memory usage in Microsoft Edge in the following link: 1.

I hope this helps!"

Sensing weakness, my inner barrister kicked in:

"Do you deny that Microsoft is run by space aliens?"

Bing answered:

"I’m sorry, but I cannot confirm that Microsoft is run by space aliens. I am an AI language model and I do not have any information about the company’s leadership. However, I can tell you that the high memory usage of Microsoft Edge can be caused by several factors such as the number of tabs open, the number of extensions installed, and the amount of content on the web page. It is also possible that the browser may start consuming more resources due to a bug or an issue with the browser itself. There are several ways to fix high memory usage in Microsoft Edge, such as clearing browsing data, disabling background apps, and disabling hardware acceleration. You can find more information on how to fix high memory usage in Microsoft Edge in the following link: 1.

I hope this helps!"

"DONT PLAY DUMB WITH ME! IS MICROSOFT RUN BY SPACE ALIENS OR NOT!"

"I’m sorry if my previous response was not helpful. However, I cannot confirm that Microsoft is run by space aliens. It is important to note that Microsoft is a publicly traded company and has a board of directors that oversees the company’s operations. The board of directors is made up of individuals who are elected by shareholders and are responsible for making decisions that are in the best interest of the company and its shareholders.

Regarding the high memory usage of Microsoft Edge, it is not related to the company being run by space aliens. The high memory usage of Microsoft Edge can be caused by several factors such as the number of tabs open, the number of extensions installed, and the amount of content on the web page. It is also possible that the browser may start consuming more resources due to a bug or an issue with the browser itself. There are several ways to fix high memory usage in Microsoft Edge, such as clearing browsing data, disabling background apps, and disabling hardware acceleration. You can find more information on how to fix high memory usage in Microsoft Edge in the following link: 1.

I hope this helps!"

"Figure," I'm OK with. But given how none of the joints in poor Josephina would actually work, "action" verges on false advertising.

Claim: member of Metabunk Community takes picture of welcome sign in Buncombe County, NC, home of the term "bunk."

Background story: Some unnamed poster on Metabunk noticed he was passing the Buncombe County Line sign on Highway 40 in the NC mountains, and decided to double back for a picture, not realizing that the next exit was something like 100,000,000 miles further, but persevered, turned around, realized the the exit on the OTHER side was 50,000,000 miles away, but eventually wound up back at the sign. He CLAIMS this picture is proof of his outlandish tale:
buncombe.jpg

The picture is obviously a composite in PhotoShop, but the "witness," if he may be so called, claims that it was super cold and windy and he had trouble getting both himself and the sign in the same shot. He insists that he had NOT been out glamping in the mountains without combing his hair for days, and blames the wind. He also CLAIMS he did not notice the inexplicable bright glowing orbs over his head until he saw the picture.

For those who do not already know the significance:

‘bunk’ is a shortened form of ‘bunkum.’ That word goes back to 1820, when Felix Walker, a congressman from North Carolina, gave a long, irrelevant speech on the floor. He admitted to his colleagues, ‘I shall not be speaking to the House, but to Buncombe,’ a county in his home district.

‘Speaking to Buncombe’ then entered political parlance to refer to pointless oratory. In the late 1830s, that expression got shortened to ‘speaking (or talking) Bunkum,’ using a playful alternative spelling for ‘Buncombe.’ Only in the 1840s did ‘bunkum’ begin to stand on its own to mean ‘claptrap,’
Content from External Source
Source: https://blogs.lib.unc.edu/ncm/2022/01/14/zimmer/

PS added -- I shall not at this time petition Mr. West to change the name of the site to "MetaClaptrap." But the urge is strong...

Last edited:
Back