Pre 1995 Persistent Contrail Archive

Tupolev TU-104 (1960's?)

Another Tu-104, again early 60's, note persistent contrail in background

Tu-144 landing in Paris, 1977, again see contrails in sky

First Hydrogen Fueled Aircraft Flight Martin B-57 Canberra (1955)

On 13 February 1957, the first of three successful flights was made and the fuel system worked well.27The transition to hydrogen was made in two steps. The hydrogen lines were first purged, then the engine was operated on JP-4 and gaseous hydrogen simultaneously. After two minutes of operations on the mixture, Algranti switched to hydrogen alone. The transition was relatively smooth and there was no appreciable [107] change in engine speed or tailpipe temperature. The engine ran for about 20 minutes on hydrogen. The pilots found that the engine responded well to throttle changes when using hydrogen. When the supply was almost exhausted, the speed began to drop. As this became apparent, Algranti switched back to JP-4 and the engine accelerated smoothly to its operating speed. The engine burning hydrogen had produced a dense and persistent condensation trail, while the other engine operating on JP-4 left no trail.
Content from External Source
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4404/ch6-4.htm

NB-52 'mothership, carrying X-15 rocket research plane with T-38 chase plane. date unknown, but pre-1968

Douglas D-558-2 Skyrocket and P2B 'mothership' (early 1950's)

These aren't strictly pre-1995 - they're from July 1995, but I thought they were worth posting here as they're from somewhere a bit different.

I took these on Mount Kenya in East Africa when I was 18. They certainly look like contrails. They could be natural linear formations, but you can bet they'd be flagged up as "chemtrails" by believers.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

And going back a bit earlier, these are from my first school ski trip, in March 1991, in Les Deux-Alpes, France.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Two nice trails in that last photo, one just cutting across the top right corner. Shame I didn't get a shot slightly to the right!

These aren't strictly pre-1995 - they're from July 1995, but I thought they were worth posting here as they're from somewhere a bit different.

I took these on Mount Kenya in East Africa when I was 18. They certainly look like contrails. They could be natural linear formations, but you can bet they'd be flagged up as "chemtrails" by believers.

I think that those are probably just natural clouds. In the first photo it's in-line with a larger bank of clouds.

The French Alps photos are contrails though.

I think that those are probably just natural clouds. In the first photo it's in-line with a larger bank of clouds.

The French Alps photos are contrails though.
Yes I wasn't sure about the Kenya ones. The last photo does look a lot like contrails though. And, of course, in chemtrail circles any vaguely linear cloud is a chemtrail!

Some old photo's of buses in the UK with contrails in the background

London Northern C334BUV (1991)

Leyland Tiger, Buchannan station, scotland (1981)

AC- regent, Leeds 1969

Various buses in Coventry 1970's

From Red Dawn, 1984.

Got me thinking, there is apparently a contrail 'blooper' in the 1959 version of Ben Hur and another in 'Quest For Fire' (1981). can't find stills or clips to confirm that at the moment, but in my quest so far has turned up this.

A rare british aircraft disaster flick from 1959, note contrail at 1:23. (actually stock footage of what appears to be an RAF Supermarine Swift rather than a doomed jet liner)

Good find, but with Chemtrail believers thinking as per the 'Red Dawn' that the conspiracy is busy going around altering films, then even finding a copy of the original film would not prove that the vapour trails were there to begin with.

As a side note I do know that changes do happen to films over the years. The dialog for the VHS versions of "The Hunt for Red October" was altered slightly before the DVD release. When the captain of the USS Dallas is sending the secret morse code message, his line ends "...or the dimensions of Playboy of the month." in the VHS version, it's omitted in the DVD version.

And of course there are the games George Lucas played with the first Star Wars film...

Good find, but with Chemtrail believers thinking as per the 'Red Dawn' that the conspiracy is busy going around altering films, then even finding a copy of the original film would not prove that the vapour trails were there to begin with.

As a side note I do know that changes do happen to films over the years. The dialog for the VHS versions of "The Hunt for Red October" was altered slightly before the DVD release. When the captain of the USS Dallas is sending the secret morse code message, his line ends "...or the dimensions of Playboy of the month." in the VHS version, it's omitted in the DVD version.

And of course there are the games George Lucas played with the first Star Wars film...
I've looked at chemtrail sites that claim, "chemtrails being edited into old movies". The sites I've seen use as their evidence the Virgin Air commercial from 2005, in which a clip from the film "The Railway Children" was, along with footage from other old films, used in the making of the commercial. I consider this to be a prime example of the chemtrail sites' lack of journalistic integrity. This is bait-and-switch, in which a headline is posted for a article that differs in content from the headline's claim. It is far more accurate to state that a clip from an old (or vintage) film was used in the making of a contemporary commercial, and that a contrail was added to the clip, as well as a modern apartment building, to convey a sense of modernity.

Not clear exactly how persistent this is, but an interesting page:

That is an amazing find, and a great addition to this discussion.

'CAT' ('Clear Air Turbulence') can be intuited at lower altitudes due to orthographic flows (the previous term when entered into an Internet search function will provide 'reams' of information). The "Standing Lenticular" type of cloud is just one indication for pilots to be aware of, also....when air patterns at certain altitude/moisture content combinations are present.

The very term 'CAT' invokes what it describes: ALL pilots understand certain cloud formations, and expect turbulence based on clouds that they can see (if at night, then weather radar is a useful tool).

However, Earth's atmosphere can be incredibly complex and "IF" conditions for condensation of water vapor (to become visible) aren't present? Then the sheering and thus "Clear-Air" turbulence can be undetectable, beforehand.

I went to the library today and took a side trip to the aviation section. I found one of the most famous B-17 contrail photos in a book by Robert Jackson.

Famous B-17.JPG

From this book:
Famous B-17 cover.JPG

Published in 1976:
Famous B-17 published.JPG

I also found a WW2 contrail photo I've never seen before.

Liberator album contrails.JPG

From this book:
Liberator album.JPG

Published in 1998. I know it's not pre-1995 but hey.

Liberator album published.JPG

Back