Claim: Picture shows rock formation under WTC caused by nuclear device

It's a neat sedimentary formation, but that is not what vitrification looks like. Vitrified rock can also be quite beautiful, but it's smooth, glassy, and has rounded nodules and bumps on its surface.

Natural formation or formed by WTC collapse?

Manhattan sits on metamorphic rock that has been highly folded. Outcroppings of the bedrock, known as the Manhattan Schist Formation can be seen all over central park.

nycprofile.jpg NY-Central-Park-Rock-7333.jpg

The hole under the WTC is called a glacial pothole. The melt waters of a retreating glacier polished a hole in some folded bedrock.

Here's an image of an actual underground nuclear explosion for comparison. The rocks look much more jagged than the smooth formations in the OP image.

nuke.jpg

I belong to a geology club and we had a very intersting speaker talk about the geology of the World Trade Center.
Charles Merguerian is in the geology department at Hofstra. He studied the excavation and did a presentation called “The Geology of Glacial Underground Waterfalls Discovered in the Excavation for the New World Trade Center.” They found rounded impressions smoothed by boulders under the waterfalls. Here is an article about the geology of the site: "
At Ground Zero, Scenes From the Ice Age"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/nyregion/22rocks.html

@Trigger Hippie I read somewhere that the salts in this area turned magnificent colors of greens and blues after the detonation. I can't find any color photos of this and how in the world was someone able to stand down there without getting radiation poison.

Back