Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png

It's highly recommended that you first read the Posting Guidelines:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/
Hello everyone I’m the Least Weasel and my current pet peeve is blatant disinformation by reality TV.

Hello, I'm a 70 year old man living in western Massachusetts. Like many, I've been long been interested in UFO and paranormal cases that seemed compelling. I've had two seemingly paranormal and inexplicable experiences in my life, but while my mind is open, those haven't led me to become an uncritical observer.

Sadly, an old friend of mine has acquiesced to the anti-VAX and Q Anon conspiracies, due to his relationship with a woman who is deeply into all of that nonsense.

I'm particularly interested in religious cults and cult-like New Age groups, and recommend the Conspirituality podcast, whose hosts' recent book of the same name is a must-read on this subject.

My old friend Steven Hassan (a former Moonie who escaped the cult decades ago with the help of his family), is a prominent, well-respected analyst of, and fighter against, mind control cults, and author of the excellent book Combating Mind Control. While I have not yet read Escaping the Rabbit Hole, Mick's descriptions of it on various podcasts lead me to believe that his recommended approach to helping people get out of conspiracies and cults is very similar to Steve's.

I also recommend the readable but highly scholarly book titled "Yoga Body" by the British academic Mark Singleton, which goes deeply into the (surprisingly short) history of modern physical yoga practices and its most prominent teachers and "schools" ... it's a real eye opener.

I look forward to contributing in some positive way.

Hello all! I just joined after hearing the 2 episodes of "Decoding the Gurus" involving Mick West. I have to say, that podcast has saved my brain from the rot of the conspiracy-heavy twitterverse and seriously unserious fallout of the Intelleckshul Dark Web collapsing into its own navel in various ways. And Mick's very reasoned responses, with nary a speck of ego on display, to Eric Weinstein's fussy-britches approach to a UFO conversation were truly inspiring.
Oh and I'm a guitarist, luthier (repairs only these days), audiobook narrator, singer, recently laid off project manager, and podcaster who's been cranking out episodes of "A History of Rock n' Roll in Film and Rock n' Roll" for the last two and a half years. If you ever listen to Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History", it's like a trashier version of that.

Last edited:
Hello!

Been visiting the site regularly for a few months now. I like to think of myself as pretty sceptical regarding most ufo and the like topics, but find it all fascinating, in an “oooo, that’s weird?” kinda way. Visitors from a distant world would, however, be my favourite explanation (one day, maybe).
Not being skilled in the way many appear to be here, this place has been an excellent first port of call after hearing/reading/seeing recent and past claims of most things odd. I mainly come away from here with a feeling of “well, that makes a lot more sense than… X”.
I doubt I’ll be much of a contributor, more likely I’ll be a “why’s/how’s that?” type.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!

hello all im from texas 31 years old i suffer from alot of anxiety especially when all this ufo stuff got back started in 2017. I found this forum and its been such a great resource to find unbias facts based input from very intelligent folks glad to be here.

Hello! Thanks for the great forum. I've been exposed to tons of paranormal information from my dad, especially regarding UFO's, for over 40 years. I also have a husband who I'm not completely sure isn't trolling me when he points out "chemtrails". It's nice to find a resource that is prepared to counter all the outrageous claims that get so much attention these days. I'm willing to accept there may be some paranormal things going on in our world, but I want to see a lot better evidence than I have so far, and there's a lot of stuff out there I know is BS but I don't have the facts to say why. Thanks for this site!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi everyone! Avid fan of Mick's youtube channel and fellow SW engineer

G'day.

I've ended up on metabunk because I love following the narratives of conspiracy theory and I work long overnight shifts with lots of downtime to read up on what people are diving in too each night.

Hello All, I discovered Metabunk via Mick West's YouTube channel. His UFO debunks pulled me out of a rabbit hole and I'm grateful for that. Thanks Mick! Now I share his videos with others who seem similarly misled. So much misinformation and disinformation. Glad this site exists.

Hello All, I discovered Metabunk via Mick West's YouTube channel. His UFO debunks pulled me out of a rabbit hole and I'm grateful for that. Thanks Mick! Now I share his videos with others who seem similarly misled. So much misinformation and disinformation. Glad this site exists.
Welcome to Metabunk!
Please consider adding your story to the Escaping the Rabbit Hole subforum.
Cheers!

Hi, I'm going to be honest and upfront here. I'm a huge UFO / UAP enthusiast / believer, from way back when i was little and watched Close Encounters.
That aside I'm also keen on the sceptical viewpoint. I dont like to exist in an echo chamber and am always keen to challenge and be challenged.
I'm looking forward to chatting with you all

Hi, I was really struck by the videos when they were released, mostly the gimbal one and how it rotated mid-flight but the background stayed stable. I was thinking the childhood stories that enthralled me looked like they were actually true. Mick's explanations made clear that the overwhelmingly most likely explanations were glare, misunderstood camera effects, and unknown size/distance of the objects. Very glad I came across Mick's explanations.

Hello, i joined because i wanted to say bravo to the majority of people who post on here, Mick West, Mendel, Deirdre K etc, i find the subject of ufo's fascinating, and i've had my doubts about their existence confirmed to a certain degree, partly due to this site. i'm convinced it's a racket, and more about money than the truth, and i can't believe the nonsense spouted by Corbell, Knapp and especially Grusch.I also smell a rat with Fravor, regardless of his service record, and how they get away with it defeats me. i probably won't post much as i haven't got the intellect, and even had to google to see if intellect had two L,s, but will happily give a thumbs up when i agree on a subject. i look forward to watching you pull apart the misinformation thats now being pushed by the media, i'm concerned how something like 29 palms can still be touted as fact, when the first place i came to for info was here, and it was without argument, debunked in a few hours. thanks to all, john.x

Hi, I'm going to be honest and upfront here. I'm a huge UFO / UAP enthusiast / believer, from way back when i was little and watched Close Encounters.
That aside I'm also keen on the sceptical viewpoint. I dont like to exist in an echo chamber and am always keen to challenge and be challenged.
I'm looking forward to chatting with you all
Welcome. I was, back in the day, a pretty strong believer, around the time Close Encounters came out. I'm pretty firmly skeptical at this point (but would be thrilled to be proved wrong!)

But any fan of Close Encounters is a friend of mine! :)

Hi everyone, I'm a very open minded academic from Scandinavia with a past in law enforcement. Since I was a kid I have always been fascinated by all things "magical" like ghosts, aliens, ESP or lost kingdoms like Atlantis- but saddened by the lack of any good evidence and frankly also by the silliness of the followings of said subjects. Very pleased with this forum where I've been lurking for a while.
I'm an avid Sci-Fi consumer and follow politics and culture in the western world with great interest

Hi, as someone who has studied the phenomena for 40 years and had several anomalous experiences myself I joined after lurking for some time to generally bring a further perspective to some discussions and specifically to post my own video from a year ago to see if anyone is able to provide an insight into what the object captured was.

I had intended posting on a certain other site but am not interested in pages of responses from religious zealots, irrational sceptics, people politicising it or declaring it is clearly Venusian in origin. Hope to be able to post soon.

Howdy, been a lurker for a while.

Enjoy reading the posts. With all of the news lately, it's nice to get a rational counterpoint. I want to believe... but need to see hard evidence before that can happen!

Last edited:
Hi. I'm a sci fi nerd who loves stories about aliens and follows legitimate SETI and technosignature research. Would love for aliens to be real and have visited but want hard reproducible evidence.

Hello, everyone. I'm Marko from Croatia, amateur sky enthusiast, trying to record the usual and not so usual stuff happening above.

I took some strange photographs of contrails and contacted Mick for ideas. He suggested that I post them here so that's what I will do now.

Greetings, Meta-folks. I'm a psychologist who, like a few others here I'm sure, grew up both watching The X-Files and reading Carl Sagan. I've been watching the recent US news relating to UAP whistleblowers and needless to say am fascinated by the conviction certain people seem to have that the American government is hiding alien bodies or is otherwise conspiring to keep evidence of ETs (or whatever the preferred terminology is) from the public.

With regards to debunking UFO claims: I'll likely do more reading than contributing, as technical / mechanical analysis is not my forte. And that said I am looking forward to any discussions that trade in either the psychology or sociology of conspiracy theories and related belief systems.

Hi everyone!
I'm a military technology enthusiast and I'm here to discover the latest information about secret military radar reflecting balloon decoys and who is releasing them.

Hi everyone. I just recently found this board and enjoyed reading through previous threads, especially following along your methodical approach and reasoning. I'm a software developer, am quite intrigued by sitrec and can imagine supporting the development. Anyway, I might be only following along, enjoying the thoughtful discussions and might not post that much.

I'm Roger Zabkie & I worked with you at the Reason Center in Sacramento yesterday, figuring out the problems with the laptop -- big screen display interface. Love your book!

Hello from sunny Brighton in the UK.
I've been registered here a few weeks now and thought it about time for a quick introduction.
Stumbled across this site during research into orbs and more recently, the pentagon clips after a friend started to slip further into the rabbit hole.
I would say that I'm a skeptic when it comes to claims of paranormal, or alien activity, and have always relied on the lack of concrete [first hand] evidence as support for my counters when it comes to discussions regarding such matters.
Having said that, I guess I still have the tip of my big toe in the hole when it comes to government smoke screens (a good day to bury bad news comes to mind).
Having been diagnosed in adult life as "on the spectrum " I do tend to get singularly obsessed with topics that catch my curiosity, and I've watched more clips and read more articles than I would care to admit so coming across a non sensationalist forum such as this is a godsend!
I have purchased the book in order to try to discover new techniques to help my good friend out as they slip further down as some of their theories are wild! (as they can tend to be)
I'll more likely than not be a 'lurker' around these parts unless of course I have anything new or interesting to say regarding a particular topic, it's a waste of pixels to reply "I agree" on a post in my opinion.
So, looking forward very much to new revelations, solved sightings, and hopefully one day a final resolution to what is becoming a family sized can of worms! :)

I'll more likely than not be a 'lurker' around these parts unless of course I have anything new or interesting to say regarding a particular topic, it's a waste of pixels to reply "I agree" on a post in my opinion.

Welcome! You can express simple opinions through the like/dislike/agree/disagree/etc. icons below each post. (if you're paranoid about website behaviour, only the "like" button is accessible without javascript)

Hello everyone!

I'm a former Texan now living in the Great White North. I found Mick West several years back when I became interested debunking Flat Earth claims, and started hanging around on the website lurking the forum since the UFO stories heated up with the Grusch interviews.

I'm also a former avionics tech, with 7 years in the USAF way back when - funnily enough, I worked on the LANTIRN targeting and navigation pods, very similar systems to the ATFLIR pods that produced the GIMBAL and other videos. There was much sagely nodding of head when I saw Mick discussing the derotation and other quirks of the gimbal mechanisms that very likely produced the odd-looking object behavior in the video.

I decided to finally register to join in the conversations. Looking forward to having fun!

Welcome! You can express simple opinions through the like/dislike/agree/disagree/etc. icons below each post. (if you're paranoid about website behaviour, only the "like" button is accessible without javascript)

Thank you. I have java enabled on my phone but no icons sadly. Perhaps I'm getting old and missing something. :)

Thank you. I have java enabled on my phone but no icons sadly. Perhaps I'm getting old and missing something. :)
That's possibly a site bug that can be reported in the thread here: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/bugs-and-suggestions-for-metabunk-org.1959/

This: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/ is also an essential read, and the other threads it points to - we are fairly strict about trying to keep discussions on the strait and narrow (I only learnt yesterday that it's supposed to be "strait" (also meaning narrow, its a deliberate repetition like "null and void", "aid and abet", etc.), not "straight"!). All long-term onlookers will be saying "but, FatPhil, you're the worst offender, how dare you preach!", and they're right - but I'm working on it, honestly!

I found that the like buttons were not enabled until after the first three posts. Those first three have to be approved by a moderator before they show up. I'm not sure if that's intentional - I couldn't find any info about it.

I found that the like buttons were not enabled until after the first three posts. Those first three have to be approved by a moderator before they show up. I'm not sure if that's intentional - I couldn't find any info about it.
it's intentional. it's to keep the spam robots out.

The forum has had problems with spam bots that join and post spam, or join and send spam private messages to many people. So the first three posts need to be approved, and you can't sent a private message until at least one post has been approved.

I'm new here, of course and am hoping to post to the proper forum. The moniker btw was given to me from the 5 th grade girls circa 1965 as I'd just rec'd my first pair of 'coke bottle' glasses, even then a self-confirmed science geek. Stumbled upon the site via the Apache helicopter3 UFO incident.

Hi everyone. Thanks for allowing me to join this group. I am a retired British cop and now a Psychology student. I have long been fascinated by the interest in UAP. Always concerned when I hear phrases such as Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Policeman was a trained observer. Trained in their particular field perhaps but not in the observation of unusual phenomena or deciphering tricks of the mind. It also bugs me how the use of the term 'Craft' has entered into the language when describing unusual phenomena. I was always taught to follow the evidence to an end result not start at the end result and work backwards.

Back