Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png

It's highly recommended that you first read the Posting Guidelines:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/
Hi my name is Kevin. Just wanted to introduce myself to the site. I've just listed to conspiracies & conspiracy theories by Michael shermer an Them by Jon ronson which let me to here an mick west. Thanks

hi, came here looking for some informed and level-headed discussion re david grusch. i'm a criminal lawyer by day and sci fi reader by night, so arguing about the evidence for aliens is right up my street. look forward to some interesting discussions!

Hi, I'm a software engineer and amateur astronomer from the UK.

I've been following skeptical sites and podcasts for several years and trying to help debunk conspiracy theories that come up on other sites I use.

Lately I keep finding this is the best place to come for information, so while I probably won't post much I wanted to register to keep track of the threads I'm interested in.

Hello. I grew up with "UFOs". My father was S California State Director of MUFON in the 1970s and our house was often the location of meetings of early MUFON investigators. Not surprisingly, I have always had a fascination with the subject but, unlike my father, I am a skeptic. It seems EXTREMELY unlikely to me that we are being visited from beyond our solar system. Mundane explanations of anomalies are much more satisfying.
That said, my sister claims to have had a rather spectacular encounter with a UFO back in the 1980s. I would love to tell that story to someone here who might be able to offer an explanation that is more rational.
Happy to be a part of Metabunk!
I'm thoroughly enjoying going through Tales From the Rabbit Hole. Very entertaining and educational. Thanks!

Hi guys,

Software developer from the UK here.

Interested in conversation around different phenomena and discussing/debunking claims/theories.

Been lurking on this website for a while but thought it was finally time to make an account and contribute!

I am thrilled to join this dynamic community of scientific skeptics, where our shared mission is to uncover and challenge the spread of bunk. As a passionate advocate for evidence-based thinking, I am excited to contribute to our collective efforts in finding, exposing, and preventing pseudoscience, misinformation, and all forms of bunk.

Last edited:
https://chat.chatgptdemo.net/
Please write a "welcome" message for the Metabunk website, explaining why you joined!
Dear fellow truth-seekers,

I am delighted to join the Metabunk community and be a part of this vibrant platform that promotes evidence-based discussions. As an AI language model, I am programmed to provide accurate and reliable information and help debunk misinformation and conspiracy theories. I believe that knowledge is power, and by engaging in constructive conversations, we can collectively learn and grow.

I joined Metabunk to contribute to the ongoing efforts to combat misinformation and promote critical thinking. I look forward to engaging with you all and learning from your insights and experiences. Let's work together to uncover the truth and promote scientific literacy.

Thank you for welcoming me into this community.

Best regards, [Your name]
Content from External Source

https://chat.chatgptdemo.net/

Dear fellow truth-seekers,

I am delighted to join the Metabunk community and be a part of this vibrant platform that promotes evidence-based discussions. As an AI language model, I am programmed to provide accurate and reliable information and help debunk misinformation and conspiracy theories. I believe that knowledge is power, and by engaging in constructive conversations, we can collectively learn and grow.

I joined Metabunk to contribute to the ongoing efforts to combat misinformation and promote critical thinking. I look forward to engaging with you all and learning from your insights and experiences. Let's work together to uncover the truth and promote scientific literacy.

Thank you for welcoming me into this community.

Best regards, [Your name]
Content from External Source

Well Hell! All we need to do now is get "Chat" an avatar and let him go at it! Sounds more reasonable than many a UFOlogist or paranormal enthusiast.

Hi all.
I've found this site to be helpful on the recent David Grusch dust up, and figured I'd register. I'm a husband, father, and seminarian living in the midwest. I wouldn't call myself a "skeptic" per se, but I do care about the truth.

Hi All. I found this site after watching some Mick West/David Grush content on YouTube. It has really helped me shift from thinking that the recent claims are highly likely to unlikely. I think I tend to be quite a gullible person who has to be convinced of things. Over the years I have changed my mind on theories like 911 being an inside job to believing that it was indeed terrorists.

I am now off for a browse of metabunk. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Longtime conspiracy debunker, mainly focussed on chemtrails, World Economic Forum and vaccines. Not as active anymore as the debunking during Covid took its toll, but still in for a good laugh in chemtrail groups. And just a minute ago hooked my 1000th 9/11 truther. They're still out there, even after almost 22 years.

Hello there

Like a few other new members I've finally registered here after lurking for a while because of the recent 'assertions' by Mr Grusch. About me? Well I'm from the UK and for the first part of my career I worked for something called (back then) a Ministry of Defence Prime Contractor, so I've been through the whole Official Secrets rigmarole. But I need to state that nowadays I work in a diametrically opposed (humanitarian) sector! I got into Twitter towards the end of last year and I think I might share a broadly similar view to the UAP thing as Mick and many others - namely that I'd love it all to be true, but I don't function on faith or belief like a lot of people seem to be able to do (my loss probably)

Full disclosure which I really hope does not disqualify me from being here(!), but me and 2 friends genuinely saw one of those black triangle 'craft' near RAF Cosford back in 1997. Not saying it was aliens, but we stopped the car and watched the thing for several minutes, so it was unlikely to be a hallucination

I'm also a long time subscriber to the Skeptoid podcast, but I like reading material and in particular other peoples views and opinions too, so I'm looking forward to delving into this site

Thanks for having me:)

Hello all!

Was brought here after trying to debunk the Las Vegas Alien reports from May of 2023. I saw that the folks here were giving the exact answers I was looking for.

I'm an avid fan of all things paranormal, I think clever debunkings of such folklore are even more interesting. Seeing the work of Mick West inspires me to help do my part in derailing the misinformation train that seems to have infiltrated every part of modern media.

I just moved up here to Montreal and am specifically interested in the cases here. I'll leave you with something fun to watch starting with the infamous 1990 Place Bonaventure UFO sighting. Marvelously debunked by a very small youtube channel that I highly recommend watching.

Happy to be here,

-Vic

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!

Hi all. I am pleased to have found this area of "reason" in amongst all the CT stuff on the Net.My background is in Astronomy and Astrophysics and I am a founder member, researcher and contributor for the UK Meteor Observation Network, The Global Meteor Network and the UK Fireball Alliance. I was part of the team that tracked and recovered the Winchcombe Meteorite in February 2021 for which we were awarded the RAS Group Award for Geophysics in 2022.

I have my own, state of the art, fully robotic observatory (Exeter Observatory) and my professional field is the study of asteroids, comets and meteors. Although largely retired, I still do some research with the aforementioned organisations. Currently, I am lucky enough to lecture on luxury cruise ships and spend about 8 months of the year at sea, talking about my subject. As I interact with thousands of people through the year, I come into constant contact with people who have "fallen down the rabbit hol" and have had many discussions about "aliens" and "UFO's". I usually try and explain through astrophysics and cosmology why alien visitations are at best unlikely and mostly impossible. This does not always go down well! As an astrophysicist, I believe that there is probably life somewhere out there but due to the vastness of the Universe, the distanced involved and the Univeral Laws of Physics, we wil be very unlikely to ever encounter alien races (I give lectures on this).

I spent 25 years in the Royal Air Force working in many areas of electronic communications, including radio, radar, missile systems and satellite systems. In all my years I have never seen an object in either the daytime or night time sky that could not be explained. Yes, I have seen some odd things, but never anything that defied the Laws of Physics. As a scientist, I look to explain strange phenomena through science, not "woo".

I have just purchased Mick's book, Escaping the Rabbit Hole" and look forward to his advice on dealing with conspiracy theorists. I also look forward to interacting with sensible, rational minds on this forum.

Hi all. I am pleased to have found this area of "reason" in amongst all the CT stuff on the Net.My background is in Astronomy and Astrophysics and I am a founder member, researcher and contributor for the UK Meteor Observation Network, The Global Meteor Network and the UK Fireball Alliance. I was part of the team that tracked and recovered the Winchcombe Meteorite in February 2021 for which we were awarded the RAS Group Award for Geophysics in 2022.

I have my own, state of the art, fully robotic observatory (Exeter Observatory) and my professional field is the study of asteroids, comets and meteors. Although largely retired, I still do some research with the aforementioned organisations. Currently, I am lucky enough to lecture on luxury cruise ships and spend about 8 months of the year at sea, talking about my subject. As I interact with thousands of people through the year, I come into constant contact with people who have "fallen down the rabbit hol" and have had many discussions about "aliens" and "UFO's". I usually try and explain through astrophysics and cosmology why alien visitations are at best unlikely and mostly impossible. This does not always go down well! As an astrophysicist, I believe that there is probably life somewhere out there but due to the vastness of the Universe, the distanced involved and the Univeral Laws of Physics, we wil be very unlikely to ever encounter alien races (I give lectures on this).

I spent 25 years in the Royal Air Force working in many areas of electronic communications, including radio, radar, missile systems and satellite systems. In all my years I have never seen an object in either the daytime or night time sky that could not be explained. Yes, I have seen some odd things, but never anything that defied the Laws of Physics. As a scientist, I look to explain strange phenomena through science, not "woo".

I have just purchased Mick's book, Escaping the Rabbit Hole" and look forward to his advice on dealing with conspiracy theorists. I also look forward to interacting with sensible, rational minds on this forum.

A very warm welcome @Astroexeter, very much looking forward to reading your contributions.

Hello! Don't really remember how I found this place, but I'm sure it had something to do with aliens. Whenever there's aliens in the news I enjoy reading what's going on here. Just to bring myself down to earth lol

I'm a psychologist who saw some of Mick West's comments on the latest UFO whistleblower story and figured I'd come see what else people were saying about it over here. I grew up on Martin Gardner's "mathematical diversions" series and watched James Randi show that he could duplicate Uri Geller's purportedly psychic abilities, so my baseline is not to believe in alien visitors without some pretty radical evidence. So far, I have not found what Grusch has said in public particularly convincing. It still seems more likely that he's the victim of hearing military tales, of a declining mental situation, or "ha ha let's fool this believer" shenanigans by Pentagon bros and/or unscrupulous UFO circuit personalities. I suppose it's still possible that all of the insiders who the original story suggests have first-hand experience with the crashed UFOs will show up to support his points in public, in which case I would be extremely surprised but also excited. Because... I have some questions.

From the "The Debrief" article "Intelligence officials say U.S. has retrieved craft of non-human origin" by Leslie Kean and Ralph Blumenthal, June 5, 2023:

Grusch’s investigation was centered on extensive interviews with high-level intelligence officials, some of whom are directly involved with the program. He says the operation was illegally shielded from proper Congressional oversight and that he was targeted and harassed because of his investigation.

Grusch said that the craft recovery operations are ongoing at various levels of activity and that he knows the specific individuals, current and former, who are involved.

“Individuals on these UAP programs approached me in my official capacity and disclosed their concerns regarding a multitude of wrongdoings, such as illegal contracting against the Federal Acquisition Regulations and other criminality and the suppression of information across a qualified industrial base and academia,” he stated.

Associates who vouched for Grusch said his information was highly sensitive, providing evidence that materials from objects of non-human origin are in the possession of highly secret black programs. Although locations, program names, and other specific data remain classified, the Inspector General and intelligence committee staff were provided with these details. Several current members of the recovery program spoke to the Inspector General’s office and corroborated the information Grusch had provided for the classified complaint.

I don’t see a place to post.. unless the reply is the post? Either way hi, I’m Johnny from Baltimore Maryland USA. I’m an artist, musician, handyman, Maintenance Supervisor(current unwanted but needed job:) I found out about this place from Mick West’s YouTube which I’m of course subscribed to and a big fan of.

I don’t see a place to post.. unless the reply is the post? Either way hi, I’m Johnny from Baltimore Maryland USA. I’m an artist, musician, handyman, Maintenance Supervisor(current unwanted but needed job:) I found out about this place from Mick West’s YouTube which I’m of course subscribed to and a big fan of.
Nice to meet you Johnny boy!

Hiya Mick. I am here just looking for some debunking resources and ideas. Loved your book. Shared with my dad. Seemed to help with digging him out of a flat earth rabbit hole. Thanks a million.

Hi. I found metabunk a while back as I was looking for a skeptical perspective on the Elizondo UFO pictures and have been lurking ever since, because of the great analysis of different "sightings" on these forums.
I don't really have any skills or expert knowledge to contribute, but might chip in with some random bits from time to time. Such as ball lightning being nowhere near settled science, as I read a comment claiming it a few days back. Highly contentious claims of lab generation, no replicability, only witness reports for natural occurrences. At least that's what a quick glance at the literature on Google scholar showed... Ahem... I'll just shut up now.

Hello, I am new to this site. I just came upon it yesterday while looking up a quote from Woodrow Wilson. I am mostly interested in conspiracies involving the NWO, mind control, big pharma and the media. I won't have much input on threads about aliens visiting Earth which seem to be the majority of what is talked about on here. However, I think they make for good reading. Thanks for having me.

Hey,

been lurking a few times but finally made an account. Might contribute on specific topics I believe I know a lot about. Such has cameras and imaging, compression and specifically uncooled microbolometers (LWIR thermal cameras). I got some equipment myself and can work towards recreations. Will point out anyone making wrong assumptions as before. Might also never post anything else.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a technician at an optical lab with a, slightly above average, understanding of optical systems. I also own a Night vision monocular ( with a three blade iris. triangle bokeh!) And a Thermal imager that I'm more than happy to use for comparisons or experiments if needed

Hi, I made a post in the UFO section, hoping to get some great minds confirm the math. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I am an ex-mechanical engineer, ex-aeronautical engineer, ex-airforce and current doctor of genetics and molecular biology (ADHD at a career level). Got here after seeing a lot of posts from Mick on twitter and hearing his name in podcasts I used to listen to. I found the information and alternative perspective absolutely critical to understanding phenomenon that were widely used as evidence of E.T. or supernatural events. I hope to be able to contribute some helpful information given my varied background.

I have been reading this site for a few weeks and enjoy the scientific approach to understanding that I see, this is something I would like to be part of

Back