Pre 1995 Persistent Contrail Archive

Tea I Look Rum

The Department of Defense started using "cirrus shields," aka chemtrails, during the Vietnam War to make high altitude reconnaissance and special operations aircraft undetectable by ground observation. The idea that persistent contrails only appeared after 1995, and, therefore, photos of these trails pre-1995 prove they are only water vapor trails from jet aircraft is a fallacy I would expect to find in a forum run by someone without a science or military background.

Additionally, many of the photos posted have captured cirrus fibratus clouds, which are easily mistaken for contrails by the untrained eye, and contain neither contrails nor chemtrails.

What is especially ridiculous is to think the readers of this forum won't realize that an actual contrail made by a jet aircraft traveling 6-7 miles per minute during the 1960s is incapable of producing a very long trail in a photo that took only a fraction of a second to capture.

Also, the southwest, where most movies were filmed, is more arid than locations in the mid-west or east, causing the air above to be cold enough to sustain visible water vapor trails much longer than usual.

Mattnik

I would like to see the info about these "cirrus shields", please.

It is worth noting that the 1995 date is addressed specifically as it's a claim regularly made by proponents of chemtrails.

cloudspotter

Senior Member.
What is especially ridiculous is to think the readers of this forum won't realize that an actual contrail made by a jet aircraft traveling 6-7 miles per minute during the 1960s is incapable of producing a very long trail in a photo that took only a fraction of a second to capture.
You mean you don't believe a plane could leave a trail that long? How long do you think they should last?

Ross Marsden

Senior Member.
Also, the southwest, where most movies were filmed, is more arid than locations in the mid-west or east, causing the air above to be cold enough to sustain visible water vapor trails much longer than usual.
This is interesting.
Can you explain why you thing aridity at ground level causes the air at cruise altitude to "be cold enough"? Do you mean colder than above non-arid regions.
Also can you explain why cold air would would cause contrails to persist longer?

These questions also relate to the one that cloudspotter asked in the post just above here.

scombrid

Senior Member.
The idea that persistent contrails only appeared after 1995, and, therefore, photos of these trails pre-1995 prove they are only water vapor trails from jet aircraft is a fallacy I would expect to find in a forum run by someone without a science or military background.
The Chemtrail Believers are most often the ones insisting that persistent contrails only appears after 1995 (or often a more recent year). Hence this thread.

scombrid

Senior Member.
Additionally, many of the photos posted have captured cirrus fibratus clouds, which are easily mistaken for contrails by the untrained eye, and contain neither contrails nor chemtrails.
Chemtrail Beleivers often point at various cloud types and insist that those cloud types are unnatural and that they did not exist before XXXX year. Hence the presence of photos of those cloud types in this thread. No confusion of natural cirrus and contrails needed.

So here you tell us that trails wouldn't persist behind a jet during the 1960s long enough to show up in a photograph.

Now in the very next sentence you tell us that conditions were special in the west such that trails did persist. Seems to be a contradiction.

Mumbles

A very interesting English scientific paper about contrails dating from 1946. Persistent contrail formation in ice-supersaturated air is also explained.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/c/3/1946_Brewer_condensation_trails.pdf

View attachment 5041 View attachment 5042

Good find, and another useful link for the "only post-war jets make contrails" types. While the page is dated 1946, the images are almost certainly from a few years earlier. The Spitfire appears to be one of the earlier merlin engined Photo Reconaissance versions (maybe a PR.VII?) from pre-1944, and the markings on the Marauder are also suggestive of an earlier era (the RAF ones likely all being scrapped by 1946 anyway). The Marauder is interesting in that I haven't often seen visible wing-tip vortices from aircraft of that era in level flight.

Joe

IM not sure how to post a screen shot of this old Twilight Zone from the early sixties @ 50 minutes pans toward the sky looks like persistent contrails ?

Landru

Staff member
IM not sure how to post a screen shot of this old Twilight Zone from the early sixties @ 50 minutes pans toward the sky looks like persistent contrails ?
Rod Serling's statement, "prove it isn't true," would have carried no ice here. The 'I Dream of Jeanie' thing was funny though.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
THis WWII photo was new to me:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsheley/4319045821/sizes/l/

Part of a great photoset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsheley/sets/72157607353942605/with/4312698101/

Also:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsheley/4289892356/in/set-72157607353942605/

Interesting contrails here, almost as if the planes were either shot down, or otherwise went into very steep descent. [Edit: not actually contrails there, they are subsequently described as "target markers" or "release markers" - smoke bombs that either show where the bomb hit, or indicated following bomber where to release their bombs]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsheley/4291614047/in/set-72157607353942605/

Last edited:

Mark Barrington

This other image from the same series also shows multiple contrails:

I happen to have a copy of the American People's Encyclopedia from 1956, along with yearbooks from 56-71 and found a few pictures of contrails in there. The reproduction quality isn't great, but if I get a chance I'll scan them in. Since I've had these books in my possession since the early 80s, there's no question of the images being faked.

The A.P.E. had a deal, if you bought the encyclopedia, you got a coffee table to store them in, so I found the coffee table at a garage sale and bought it, books included. The books are pretty musty, but they're interesting to look at.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
P.S. What are guidelines for posting copyrighted material?
Basically you can post it if you think it's Fair Use. If the copyright holder requests, then I'll remove it. I've only had a handful of complains in the last three years.

Mark Barrington

Basically you can post it if you think it's Fair Use. If the copyright holder requests, then I'll remove it. I've only had a handful of complains in the last three years.
Anything from a magazine or other publication is most likely fair use. I posted a link above from a stock photo agency instead of the image because the stock photo agencies tend to be pretty aggressive about making people pay to use their images. Almost any other source is fairly safe.

Buildy

Municipal Stadium, Kansas City, MO. Demolished 1976.
09e305501af469170a1856a8d9d94a0e.jpg

I must say, as both a contrail and baseball geek, I'm enjoying this hunting of images! :)

MikeC

Closed Account
you do realize that all of these old images have actually been doctored to insert chemtrails in order to desensitize us don't you??

See also this metabunk thread which starts with that video.

LOOK UP!

;)

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Graham2001 Contrails in literary fiction - Pre 1995 Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Leifer 1951 airplane spotters guide, USAF Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
cmnit Contrails in satellite images pre-1995 Contrails and Chemtrails 23
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
Trailblazer Persistent contrails at 26,000ft Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Tapir-mâché Curious-- how low can persistent contrails form? Contrails and Chemtrails 25
Mick West Persistent Trails Survey Shows Chemtrail Believers Only Recently Noticed Persistent Trails Contrails and Chemtrails 32
Mick West 1952 - Condensation Trails From Aircraft - With a 1937 Persistent Contrail Photo - Oldest Ever? Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West An unusual persistent aerodynamic contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
MikeG "Non-Persistent" and "Non-Visible Chemtrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 29
Mick West Persistent Cumuliform Contrails at 25,000 feet over California? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
S Persistent Spreading Contrail Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Trailspotter Persistent Blue Spiral in the Gulf of Oman General Discussion 8
D [NeedInfo]Persistent Contrails Picture Show Contrails and Chemtrails 2
M Converting Relative Humidity with regards to water, to Relative Humidity with regards to ice Contrails and Chemtrails 3
O More on debunking "no persistent contrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 12
cmnit Debunked: No persistent contrails in Russia Contrails and Chemtrails 67
Mick West Debunked: The Science Claims of Global March Against Chemtrails and Geoengineering Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Trailblazer Busy Sky over Southern UK - July 30 2014 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Dylmar Are there more persistent contrails these days? Contrails and Chemtrails 49
Mick West Debunking "Contrails don't Persist" with a Study of 70 Years of Books on Clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 98
Ross Marsden Aerodynamic and Exhaust Mediated Persistent Contrails - When do they Form? Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Jay Reynolds Debunked: "Hygroscopic Smoke" Produces Persistent Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 1
mrfintoil Discussion: False memories and "No persistent trails in the past" Contrails and Chemtrails 46
WavedRhyme Persistent contrails and overcast the day after Contrails and Chemtrails 12
George B Debunk Global Warming can reduce the number of Persistent Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West Michael J. Murphy Admits Persistent Contrails Exist. Can't tell the difference. Contrails and Chemtrails 26
M Relative humidity difference between persistent and non-persistent contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 41
G Persistent Contrail Since 1919 Contrails and Chemtrails 0
JFDee Research: Consequences of Travel Shutdown for Contrail Coverage Contrails and Chemtrails 1
TEEJ Sunlit contrail, Cambridgeshire, UK causing media flap 15th April 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Curt Collins UFO: Contrail over Canada? Jackhead, Manitoba UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 32
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Sunset Contrail "UFO" over Denver, Nov 23 2018 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
C Explanation Strange contrail like structures over English Bay, Vancouver 8:30 PM Aug 5 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Cut off contrail at sunrise with Corona Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Illusion of Contrail Asymmetry from Flying perpendicular to the Sun Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
JFDee Falcon Heavy First Launch - Vertical Rocket Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Mick West Late Distrail and Later Contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Tracking the Contrail of ANA173 with GOES-16 Images Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Mick West Zigzag contrail on Terra Image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
StarGazer SpaceX Falcon 9 Captures Video of its own Contrail from Space UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Related Articles

Related Articles