Mick West interview with Naval Aviator and F/A-18 pilot Brian Burke

jarlrmai

Senior Member.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3keF8rf7Ig

Brian has a BS in Aerospace Engineering and was a Naval Aviator for 15 years, flying an F/A-18. He flew with David Fravor (Tic-Tac UFO witness)We discuss the Navy UFO videos and the current UFO situation from a pilot's perspective. We also discuss the recent "whistleblower" UAP hearing, and David Grusch. Interview recorded August 11 2023
Content from External Source
This thread is for any discussion that arises from this video

Just a general question.. Did Fravor have a WSO in his plane? And if so did he ever give an account or interview? Fravor always talked about “4 sets of eyes on this thing”. Unless I completely missed this aspect.

Just a general question.. Did Fravor have a WSO in his plane? And if so did he ever give an account or interview? Fravor always talked about “4 sets of eyes on this thing”. Unless I completely missed this aspect.
It was established that yes there were WSOs, but that might more relevant to the threads discussing Favor's experience.

Interesting interview indeed. Good to hear confirmation of our pretty solid idea -that the rotation is an instrument artefact- by someone with a related background.

I thought Burke was choosing his words very carefully when speaking of Fravor. His explanation of what goes on during exercises was very informative. Of course they weren't going to drop everything to investigate a "dogfight" with a "UFO" that was already gone.

One big takeaway from that interview is that the Navy doesn't have the time or resources to chase down UFOs and investigate them. UFO zealots seem to think that's all that Navy pilots do, and that after Gimbal for example, that there was a perfect record of who was flying where within a 100-mile radius. Thus the Navy naturally would have known* if the object were another F-18 at 30 miles. Also, that since the "war on terror," the Navy is underfunded compared to other branches.

The stories about the financial shenanigans were informative. My sister is a Gulf War veteran on 50% disability. A bandmate of mine's wife worked for the VA, processing disability claims, and she told me, "Have her give me a call — I'll get her up to 100%." Consistent with "Just say you have hearing loss."

*I call this kind of construction the "would-pecker fallacy," i.e., an argument from incredulity in the form of a naïve thought experiment. ("The building would have toppled over")

It is understood that Fravor had a WSO. His name has not been publicly released. (I say 'he' because documents use that word.) It has been said by various people that he is still a serving officer, and for that reason does not wish to go on the public record. In the so-called 'Executive Summary' his rank is given as Lieutenant but his name is redacted. He gave a similar description to Fravor's of the appearance of the 'tic tac', but

his account differed from CDR Fravor in that he reported the object traveling level at approximately 500 - 1000 feet at approximately 500 knots.
(Fravor described it as 'holding like a Harrier', which is taken to imply 'hovering'.)

There are many online copies of the 'Executive Summary'. I have used this one:

https://embed.documentcloud.org/documents/20743466-nimitz-unredacted/?embed=1&responsive=1&title=1

Incidentally, I note that the Executive Summary in one place expands the abbreviation WSO as 'Weapon Systems Operator' but in another as 'Weapons and Sensors Officer'. Wikipedia uses the term 'Weapon Systems Officer'.

One would really wish for Fravor to hook up with Mick and create a sort of 3D recreation of the event. Then it can also reveal the confusion around the "eyes on the craft" was minutes or just a mere seconds..

One would really wish for Fravor to hook up with Mick and create a sort of 3D recreation of the event. Then it can also reveal the confusion around the "eyes on the craft" was minutes or just a mere seconds..
I feel like we need to move on from the three Pentagon videos at some point. How many times do we need to re-litigate JFK or the curvature of the Earth? It's not going to move the needle with the few remaining die-hards who have selected themselves as being totally uninterested in counter-evidence.

I feel like we need to move on from the three Pentagon videos at some point. How many times do we need to re-litigate JFK or the curvature of the Earth? It's not going to move the needle with the few remaining die-hards who have selected themselves as being totally uninterested in counter-evidence.
These videos are still playing an active part of convincing senators in congress that "something is going on."

@Mick West I wonder if we could have a more in-depth follow-up on the ATFLIR ranging question, I know he didnt use it and as suspected they mostly use the targeting pods for A/G. He seemed convinced that the laser is used in A/A, I think that is probably not correct but talking it through with him would be helpful.

Once thing that has stood out so far from the pilots we have interacted with are not really sure how the tech they use works, not that they need to really but it still demonstrates that only really Raytheon engineers and possibly some Navy engineers probably know.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3keF8rf7Ig

Brian has a BS in Aerospace Engineering and was a Naval Aviator for 15 years, flying an F/A-18. He flew with David Fravor (Tic-Tac UFO witness)We discuss the Navy UFO videos and the current UFO situation from a pilot's perspective. We also discuss the recent "whistleblower" UAP hearing, and David Grusch. Interview recorded August 11 2023
Content from External Source
This thread is for any discussion that arises from this video

Thoroughly enjoyed this interview some great theories. It was mentioned that there are tethered balloons in certain zones, it would be good to have follow up questions about these zones and where they are located.

One part of the interview that I thought was utterly ridiculous, was when Brian Burke mentioned that AARO should reach out to @Mick West. No offence to Mick West but data should be sent to scientists that have all the resources at their disposal. For example Nasa, which I've read is happening right now.

One part of the interview that I thought was utterly ridiculous, was when Brian Burke mentioned that AARO should reach out to @Mick West. No offence to Mick West but data should be sent to scientists that have all the resources at their disposal. For example Nasa, which I've read is happening right now.
What scientists would those be, who are sitting around without better things to do (that they are funded for), and have broad expertise on optics, camera technology, 3D motion analysis, and the history of UFO documentation? How much taxpayer money should be spent on flying saucers? IMO, more involvement by government officials clueless on UFOs is not what's needed here.

Why not both? I think there's an advantage to lay practitioners such as myself in that we have a lot of spare time to dedicate to specific cases we find interesting. I think we can at least augment more official investigation where the practitioners are not really that into it, and don't have time to get familiar with all the details.

For example, here's the head of NASA's UAP panel describing the Gimbal video, and getting it incredibly wrong.

Dang, that's SO wrong you almost have to wonder if he was even trying to describe "Gimbal." Weird.

@Why not both? I think there's an advantage to lay practitioners such as myself in that we have a lot of spare time to dedicate to specific cases we find interesting. I think we can at least augment more official investigation where the practitioners are not really that into it, and don't have time to get familiar with all the details.

For example, here's the head of NASA's UAP panel describing the Gimbal video, and getting it incredibly wrong.
@Mick West that's one scientists view from Nasa, on a pod cast. Not a whole team of scientists putting forward a theory. I don't believe Nasa have officially released any peer reviewed papers.

Why not join the Galileo project?

Judging by the embarrassing performances of prominent physicists, I would think that Michio Kaku is currently pushing himself for the chairmanship of the erratic college. He is so extremely embarrassing that one really has to wonder what is going wrong here.
But that would certainly be a thread of its own....

almost 20 years later, i dont think this makes a lot of sense

i fear without additional evidence in forms of classified reports or testimony from the uss louisville or e2 spy plane we wont make any progress.

its really just a single story coming from fravor.

These videos are still playing an active part of convincing senators in congress that "something is going on."
because something is going on.

be it pilots seeing things they cant explain or that there really are crafts with weird behavior.

iirc ryan graves admitted on a podcast that the gimbal might be glare but thats only a single part of the whole puzzle. he also said hes on the prosaic explanation spectrum until hard data comes forward to convince him otherwise.

he seems very reasonable as well and i think he is also a credible voice when he says that "these things" show weird characteristics, even if the rotation is glare.

we shouldnt dismiss this.

so far not a single fighter pilot said that the tic tac video or gimbal looks like an engine. not even Burke.

who are we to say that they are probably all wrong? i would suggest they are probably right until other pilots suggest the opposite or we have hard evidence to support Micks assumption of it being a F18 and airliner.

if we neglect these statements in order to force a piece into a puzzle then we are not better than the average believer

who are we to say that they are probably all wrong? i would suggest they are probably right until other pilots suggest the opposite or we have hard evidence to support Micks assumption of it being a F18 and airliner.
"We" (alas, I'm not one of them) include pilots, mathematicians, computer whizzes, photography experts, engineers, and physicists. I align most strongly with the last, and if the description of an object's behavior breaks the known laws of physics, my first assumption is that it's probably wrong. The other experts can often tell us all just HOW the mistakes were made.

There's also the problem of "other pilots suggesting the opposite". First, the investigators concentrate on the people who DID say they saw something, not the ones who say they didn't see it. That's as it should be, because unless it's something huge and unmistakeable, "I didn't see it" is hardly evidence one way or another. As for the tictac, I understand that two pilots gave differing testimony, others did not wish to speak on the record, so it's not as if there was unanimity. And then there's hierarchy and group cohesion; nobody wants to contradict the guy in charge.

so far not a single fighter pilot said that the tic tac video or gimbal looks like an engine. not even Burke.
Because normally, they'd lock on aircraft much closer than 30 nm, and those images have much less glare, and thus the engines do look different.

Remember, these experts are good in a specific area, and in the case of pilots, it's looking at other aircraft that are actually in range of their weapon systems. That's probably >99% of their experience with the system, and for these situations, their statement is fairly reliable.

But engine glare at 30 nm wouldn't be trained for, would occur rarely, and it wouldn't usually be important when it does, hence it wouldn't be debriefed on, wouldn't imprint in memory, etc.

" and if the description of an object's behavior breaks the known laws of physics, my first assumption is that it's probably wrong.
oh i fully agree here. i was only talking about what is seen on flir and if multiple people that did this for a living say it doesnt look like an airplane they know of then i would take that into consideration and dont dismiss it the same way as if they said it disappeared in a wormhole.

doesnt rule out f18s and jetliners but makes it a little more likely to be some sort of other craft or EW spoof or similar

Because normally, they'd lock on aircraft much closer than 30 nm, and those images have much less glare, and thus the engines do look different.

Remember, these experts are good in a specific area, and in the case of pilots, it's looking at other aircraft that are actually in range of their weapon systems. That's probably >99% of their experience with the system, and for these situations, their statement is fairly reliable.

But engine glare at 30 nm wouldn't be trained for, would occur rarely, and it wouldn't usually be important when it does, hence it wouldn't be debriefed on, wouldn't imprint in memory, etc.
do you have examples or is this just an assumption? its a valid hypothesis but if multiple pilots, even those not pushing aliens, tend to dismiss it as likely then i would propose to weight these insights a little bit higher

do you have examples or is this just an assumption? its a valid hypothesis but if multiple pilots, even those not pushing aliens, tend to dismiss it as likely then i would propose to weight these insights a little bit higher
We had ATFLIR images of jet exhausts on metabunk previously, possibly on the thread about the temperature.

Judging by the embarrassing performances of prominent physicists, I would think that Michio Kaku is currently pushing himself for the chairmanship of the erratic college. He is so extremely embarrassing that one really has to wonder what is going wrong here.
But that would certainly be a thread of its own....
There's nothing to wonder here. Kaku has been the go-to "smart physics man who will entertain any woo" for a buck for a long time. Before UFOs, it would be time travel, wormholes, quantum woo, whatever. But the UFO scene is perfect because it is seemingly unending opportunities for attention and speaking fees. He hasn't done any important real physics in years (like publishing important papers).

NDT is similar in that he doesn't do much original research anymore but he chose the path of popularizing legitimate science to the masses, similar to Sagan.

If things like this were actually considered potential security/safety risks to the US, one might even think that perhaps training the pilots on exactly these kinds of situations would be useful. But they aren't (the latter), so perhaps they aren't (the former)?

Maybe the US armed forces no longer have any fighter jets with FLIRs so they can't perform a recreation of our model in order to show us how completely different it would look.

Besides all of the technical information above, a notable moment for me was when the subject of Fravor being involved in a dogfight seemed to be passed over as "cool", with seemingly no further discussion which suggests to me that these sightings and claims of multiple engagements may be somewhat of an exaggeration.
That, and staff on active duty being able to lean over and film what could be sensitive information on their mobile devices! ‍
Edited to remove erroneous emoticon.

Back