Metabunk 2.0

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded the site software to a new version. This is much nicer for editing posts and general navigation but might break a few things in the short term.

This post will list potential issues that need fixing, and will be updated as things are fixed

If you find any issue at all, please post it here, or send me a PM.

(note, some of there are just admin stuff)

• The old reactions ("Like", "Winner", etc) have not been carried across, other than "Like").
  • The home page is a work in progress. I hope to get it to have a main featured article, and then infinite scrolling of 2-3 columns of other articles.
  • Missing automatic uploading of linked images
  • Missing automatic submit to archive of links.
  • Missing MIME type for PDFs (to open in new window instead of download)
  • Many of the how-to files are now out of date
  • No Pinned Post divider
  • The "Metanew" shortcut (Next unread thread) does not work (custom Mick plugin)
  • "Source" link below Youtube embeds messed up.
  • "Fieldset" and other BB codes not working

Last edited:
Our "Blackened" night mode appears to be borked, had to switch to default to see the black on black writing of main body text.

Screenshot 2019-12-22 at 12.20.00.png

Man, the new design was tripping me out for a minute, but it really looks good. Might make the site more attractive to a broader audience, too.

I like the new design aesthetically. Once thing that I believe was superior about the old design, however, was the suite of reactions you could indicate with respect to any post (agree, disagree, like, dislike, funny, informative, useful, etc.). I felt those were very well tuned to conveying appropriate responses to the types of posts on this site. The new facebook-like reactions seem less appropriate and precise. I think agree, disagree, informative, and useful are particularly apt responses here.

I like the new design aesthetically. Once thing that I believe was superior about the old design, however, was the suite of reactions you could indicate with respect to any post (agree, disagree, like, dislike, funny, informative, useful, etc.). I felt those were very well tuned to conveying appropriate responses to the types of posts on this site. The new facebook-like reactions seem less appropriate and precise. I think agree, disagree, informative, and useful are particularly apt responses here.
agree.png

I'm working on restoring something like the old system

(This is my (Mick's) test account, so I can see what the site looks like for regular folk)

Fixed!

This is my first login since the update, so maybe I'm having a temporary problem from the transition. But:

When viewing the list of "New posts", shouldn't there be a link to the first unread post in a thread? IIRC, this used to be a little icon in front of the thread title.

I see that the thread title link appears to point at unread -- for example:

Code:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/welcome-thread-new-members-post-here.1729/unread

But when I click that, I end up at the beginning of the thread, not the first unread post.

I'm using Firefox 71.0 on Linux, if it matters.

ah good the like or other input notification are now working for me,,, they seemed to be not working in previous version so i never knew who'd liked or not or other of my posts ..

ah good the like or other input notification are now working for me,,, they seemed to be not working in previous version so i never knew who'd liked or not or other of my posts ..
you can always check under your Profile. now it's called "reactions received".

Another "Blackened" issue, with the Content From External Source being a bit hard to see with the light on light writing.

Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 12.25.50.png

Ugh, this feels like browsing Tumblr or a blog on desktop. You don't have a way to view the old site? (Kind of like Reddit kept old.reddit).

browsing Tumblr or a blog on desktop.
ive never browsed Tumbler or a blog on desktop, so not sure what that means. I think the MB browsing set up is the same. is there something you're having trouble finding?
I often use google and prior to your search key words just add "site:metabunk.org" (without the quote marks)

ive never browsed Tumbler or a blog on desktop, so not sure what that means. I think the MB browsing set up is the same. is there something you're having trouble finding?
I often use google and prior to your search key words just add "site:metabunk.org" (without the quote marks)

Hi deirdre, not sure how to explain it but it feels the site is much more mobile friendly and flows north-south with focus on center screen space. That's great for mobile devices (which I'm sure is the majority of use cases). But a bit meh on desktop.

Here's an example from the reddit frontpage, new and old to exemplify:

redditnew.png
redditold.png

weird. yea that's like windows 8/10 vs 7. my redditdotcom (thank God) still looks like the old one.

MB is certainly "bigger". I have to zoom in to 85% or it drives me nuts :)
1578617803076.png

Hi deirdre, not sure how to explain it but it feels the site is much more mobile friendly and flows north-south with focus on center screen space. That's great for mobile devices (which I'm sure is the majority of use cases). But a bit meh on desktop.

redditnew.png
redditold.png

You could try the "Full-Width Style", select it at the bottom left of any page.

giday um where do i find the " Content from external source button"
I have had a look but its not apparent to me

external.PNG

giday um where do i find the " Content from external source button"
I have had a look but its not apparent to me

I just found it myself, thanks!
it's here...there is a little down arrow to the right of the smiley face.
1578755906199.png

You can also manually type it in.
1578755988820.png

I like the "back to top" clickable blue arrow in the lower right.

up_arrow.jpg

This is useful for lazy people like me.
Example, you've reached the end (or middle) of a page with many posts, and instead of repeatable finger-scrolls on a typical mouse wheel to go to the top page post (or click-and-hold/slide to scroll up)....just click on that arrow.
It only appears when you give a slight "up" scroll on the typical center mouse wheel, and lasts as an option for about 2 seconds, then disappears.
It's handy, I have found.
I'm using basic Firefox...if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
@Mick West the Bookmarks did not come over.

the only one I really miss is the link to my browser up button. so im adding the script here so I can bookmark this comment :)

javascript:window.scrollTo(0,0);

Last edited:
Having just signed up, I actually did the unthinkable needful and read the "Terms and rules" and "Metabunk.org Privacy Policy" pages, only to find that there's
  • a superfluous anchor-tag wrapped around the "Metabunk.org Rules" and "Additional Guidelines" sections on the former, and
  • a rogue li-end-tag that's missing it's opening bracket on the latter (on the line that says "confirmation of email address")...
Just thought I'd point it out as a first post... :)

That's apparently "full size" - the imgs being slid between are , and
So in that case, it's not CSS that's making things small, it's the HTML tags pointing to inappropriate images.
yes, it's the thumbnails
but the code (from quoting the post) is
Code:
[compare]
[ATTACH type="full" alt="Metabunk 2018-12-01 12-56-26.jpg"]35163[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH type="full" alt="Metabunk 2018-12-01 12-55-38.jpg"]35162[/ATTACH]
[/compare]

yes, it's the thumbnails
but the code (from quoting the post) is
Code:
[compare]
[ATTACH type="full" alt="Metabunk 2018-12-01 12-56-26.jpg"]35163[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH type="full" alt="Metabunk 2018-12-01 12-55-38.jpg"]35162[/ATTACH]
[/compare]

Yup, problem exists between bbcode and html.

Back