Chemtrails/Rainbow Cloud Vortex [Iridescent clouds]

george walker

Observed and photographed this phenomenon in rural West Virginia. I have found one video from New Mexico showing this strange cloud luminescence. The gentleman referred to it as a "Rainbow Cloud Vortex" . The natural spectrum does not delineate color in this manner. The points of Cerulean Blue and Orange seem almost energized. If anyone else has seen this I would be very interested to know. I believe there is some correlation between the aerial spraying most are observing over our area and these odd cloud manifestations/illusions. DSCF1353.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Observed and photographed this phenomenon in rural West Virginia. I have found one video from New Mexico showing this strange cloud luminescence. The gentleman referred to it as a "Rainbow Cloud Vortex" . The natural spectrum does not delineate color in this manner. The points of Cerulean Blue and Orange seem almost energized. If anyone else has seen this I would be very interested to know. I believe there is some correlation between the aerial spraying most are observing over our area and these odd cloud manifestations/illusions. DSCF1353.JPG

[...]

Iridescent clouds, they've been around since water vapor has been a part of the atmosphere.

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/droplets/irid1.htm

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/class/iredsnce.html

I don't have the time right now to chase down the actual comments from this

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v36/n917/abs/036077b0.html

It seems that they go back to the 1800s

Letters to Editor
Nature 36, 77-77 (26 May 1887) | doi:10.1038/036077b0
Iridescent Clouds
T. W. BACKHOUSE
Top of page
Abstract
THE clouds seen by Prof. Stone, as described in NATURE, vol. xxxv. p. 581, may have been of the same character (though I cannot judge positively from the description) as those so extensively observed in the Decembers of 1884 and 1885; if so, it is the only account I have read of their being seen last winter. Those described by Mr. McConnel, writing from St. Moritz, Switzerland (p. 533), are evidently of a totally different character, and I suppose simply the ordinary iridescent clouds which are common everywhere.
[ex/]
Content from External Source

Looks likes cirrus clouds. High altitude stuff. The day I photographed was 70 degrees. Low Stratus. Perhaps 3000-4000 ft. Almost no humidity. Seen many instances of light refraction. This was not scattered sunlight. Save your file photos. [...]

"They look exactly alike" Profound. So does gold and pyrite.

Unless you've got a reason to suspect a cloud of not being what it looks exactly like, then it's just silly to suggest that it's not that thing.

Let's say I see a cloud that looks exactly like a cumulus cloud. Why would I think it is not a cumulus cloud?

If you think there's a reason it's not an iridescent cloud, then explain it.

george walker has a one week ban for being excessively impolite (in deleted posts).

Is there a difference in the cause and nature of the effect at higher altitude versus lower?

The conditions needed are that the cloud be thin, and have similar sized droplets. I think these conditions are found when clouds form on the boundaries of relatively stable air masses, which you don't really find at very low altitude.

So could it be a different optical effect, more like sprinkler rainbows or related to being near the sun?

So could it be a different optical effect, more like sprinkler rainbows or related to being near the sun?

No. Because it's aligned to the shape of the cloud, it has to be related to the size of the drops within the cloud. other optical effects produce bands of color. Here it is with increased color saturation:

It is to do with proximity to the sun in some way though. But not like a 22° Halo.

Last edited:
Clearly people are making an association with the iridescence of dirty puddles with oil or petrol in them, and the same effect in the sky.
What does happen to petroleum product that evaporates, and is there any mechanism which would let it group together in the sky as clouds?

Clearly people are making an association with the iridescence of dirty puddles with oil or petrol in them, and the same effect in the sky.
What does happen to petroleum product that evaporates, and is there any mechanism which would let it group together in the sky as clouds?

That's thin film iridescence, a radically different mechanism. Impossible after evaporation.

I guess if you had enough for the air to be saturated with it. As you say, people associate these colours in the sky with the colours the see in petrol slicks and so assume what they are seeing in the sky must therefore be chemicals. As I understand it though it's a completely different effect.

I guess if you had enough for the air to be saturated with it. As you say, people associate these colours in the sky with the colours the see in petrol slicks and so assume what they are seeing in the sky must therefore be chemicals. As I understand it though it's a completely different effect.
A thin film of a transparent medium can interfere with the passage of light, rather than refract it. Iridescent bird and butterfly plumage work that way. I think oil on water, and the iridescence of a soap film are also examples.

Yes, it's quite interesting, the science behind it. There's a few entirely different ways of splitting light into colors:

1 - Bending light (refraction) Since different wavelength of light bend by different amounts, when you bend light through a prism like an ice crystal (halo)- or in the combination of reflection and refraction in a water drop (rainbows) - you split it into the standard rainbow spectrum of colors.

2 - Selectively Blocking light by Mie scattering. Different sizes of small particle scatter different wavelengths of light, blocking some wavelengths (colors) more than others. Clouds generally are white because all wavelengths are scattered evenly because the particle are large and/or different sizes along the path of the light. But if the cloud forms in an even way, then there can a gradient in particle size, and the particles can be sufficiently small, and limited to that size along the path of light (i.e. a thin cloud, or thin edges to a cloud). This creates a spectrum of colour.

upload_2013-11-9_15-45-55.png

3 - Interference - where some wavelengths of light can constructively or destructively interfere with themselves if reflected off the top and bottom of a thin film that is of a thickness related to the wavelength of the light.
upload_2013-11-9_15-36-28.pngupload_2013-11-9_15-36-33.png
upload_2013-11-9_15-36-53.pngupload_2013-11-9_15-36-58.png

Last edited:
A thin film of a transparent medium can interfere with the passage of light, rather than refract it. Iridescent bird and butterfly plumage work that way. I think oil on water, and the iridescence of a soap film are also examples.

CDs too

Yes, it's quite interesting, the science behind it. There's a few entirely different ways of splitting light into colors

So, is there any way that any of the supposed contents of "chemtrails"- Barium, Strontium et al could be aerosolized in such as to refract or scatter light into the spectrum?

If not, it seems like another utterly refutable point of "evidence" of chemtrails. Whenever, I point it out to Believers, I never seem to get any response- cognitive deafness.

(And just clarify- iridescence is mie scattering- not refraction?)

(And just clarify- iridescence is mie scattering- not refraction?)

Yes, but it's also used to refer to thin-film interference. Like iridescent soap bubbles. So people sometimes think that an iridescent cloud must be something like a oil slick.

So, is there any way that any of the supposed contents of "chemtrails"- Barium, Strontium et al could be aerosolized in such as to refract or scatter light into the spectrum?

No.

The nearest thing would be bismuth crystals, which generate iridescence due to the different thickness of oxide crystals on the surface that cause interference from the light upon itself as it is reflected.

8c2fef3ca5f34ccfacfbb5a173712f61.jpg

No.

The nearest thing would be bismuth crystals, which generate iridescence due to the different thickness of oxide crystals on the surface that cause interference from the light upon itself as it is reflected.

8c2fef3ca5f34ccfacfbb5a173712f61.jpg

That's the interference type of spectrum, not the same thing. If you spray it in the air you are not going to get those colors. It would just look white.

Back