Atlas V launch - multicoloured 'contrails'

scombrid

Senior Member.
I think that the contrail is not lit in the early photos. The contrail is the dark squiggly somewhat vertical line still in the shadow of the earth. The sun didn't illuminate the contrail until 20-30 minutes later. The broad glowing cloud is the exhaust gas spreading outside the atmosphere and being lit brilliantly by the sun as the vehicle exited both the atmosphere and earth's shadow.

It is interesting to see the different camera angles. I watched from the lagoon in Cocoa so it arced across my field of vision from left to right before heading down range. The photos looking toward the southeast are interesting because it looks like it goes up and then back down.

We are bathed in a maritime subtropical airmass right now that is quite free of particulates so atmospheric transparency is excellent. This morning's launch was probably the most brilliant that I have seen.

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Debunked: 'UFO Trailing Blue Smoke' over airport [Atlas V Rocket Launch] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
JFDee New 2017 Cloud Atlas of the WMO Online Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Jay Reynolds What plane is this? Maybe Azul airlines? [Atlas Air 747] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
TEEJ Pentagon to launch task force to investigate UFO sightings - August 14, 2020 CNN Article UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 28
JFDee Falcon Heavy First Launch - Vertical Rocket Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Leifer Spacex Dec 23 twilight launch, "looked horizontal" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
william wiley Does Damage to MH17 indicate or exclude a Particular Buk Launch Location? Flight MH17 662
Chew Google Earth file of weather balloon launch sites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Jason Debunked: MH17: Supposed satellite video of missile launch [Fake] Flight MH17 14
Jason Evidence for the Buk missile launch site Flight MH17 24
Pete Tar Probably not Ison... (rocket launch remnant) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Delta IV Heavy Launch from Vandenberg, California Contrails and Chemtrails 66
Critical Thinker US 'backed plan to launch chemical weapon attack on Syria, blame it on Assad govt' Conspiracy Theories 5
Oxymoron Norway Spiral. Was it Really a Failed Missile Launch or Was it HAARP (EISCAT) Conspiracy Theories 36
Des O High School Kids launch Weather Balloon Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Pogopoint99 Missile Launch General Discussion 0

Related Articles