AE911 Truth's WTC7 Evaluation Computer Modelling Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will need to read that in context - but - as it stands he may have just committed professional suicide. There is no doubt he has firmly planted himself "truther side".

and sure -- I'm accustomed to reading "spin" and "lies by innuendo" - there is a bit of wriggle room in that his "that's going to do that" is responding to a possible strawman in the poorly defined "just break at the same time". It could be a weasel way out but both "just break" and "same time" are open to him wriggling out by redefining either or both those terms.

I'd better read the full thing. :)

In September, Hulsey said that he would have a report by the end of the year 2018. We are slightly past that date.
Not clear if this would be before or after the AE911T review panel "peer" reviews it.

I just now wrote him an email asking when the report will be done, whether, when and where a draft for public comment will be published, and a bit about the review committee.

Of course I received no response from Hulsey.
In an AE Webinar, Richard Gage in early February mentioned that Hulsey's draft report is expected for mid-March - it's almost the end of March now.

I researched what the UAF team has been doing lately:
Here is J Leroy Hulsey's publication record:
https://scholar.google.de/citations?hl=de&user=TzPOx8kAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate

So far he has 2 papers published in 2019, had 5 papers in 2018, four in 2017 - all about bridges and soil, often with a focus on cold climate conditions. Nothing on WTC.

All of these papers since 2017 feature F(eng) Xiao, the more senior of his project assistants, as co-author - or rather, 9 of 11 papers have Xiao named first among the authors.

Feng Xiao has been an assistant professor at the Nanjing University of Science and Technology in China since December 2017, according to this entry:
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7244-9235

Here is his profile on ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Feng_Xiao22
That profile has an entry for the WTC7-project, made in July 2016: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Computer-Simulation-for-Cause-of-Failure-at-World-Trade-Center -
Project log

Jul 28, 2016
Feng Xiao
added a project goal
Using finite element modeling to evaluate the possible causes of World Trade Center Building 7's collapse.
Content from External Source
That's it! His other two projects have produced several papers and other entries.

I don't believe Xiao is still working with Hulsey on the project - the NUST won't let him spend time without budget.

I can't find any information on the junior partner, Zhili Quan - nothing on Google Scholar, no co-authorships with Hulsey or Xian, nothing.

I can't find any information on the junior partner, Zhili Quan
I thought he went back to China last year. Although I'm not sure where I heard that.

Someone told me that the report was complete and in "peer review", with a planned release for public comments in March, and Publication in May.

Of course, now March is nearly over.

Over at ISF, a bit of intel on what Hulsey has been up to most recently. Starting here and going on until at least post #2583 (which I posted a minute ago):

Hulsey was scheduled to make a presentation at the monthly meeting of the ASCE's Fairbanks chapter on March 20th (2 weeks ago) about his WTC study, but he had to cancel this due to unspecified injuries, from which he has recovered, and his presentation has been rescheduled to May 15th ("Dr. Hulsey will present on 9-11 WTC findings.").

Hulsey was scheduled to make a presentation at the monthly meeting of the ASCE's Fairbanks chapter on March 20th (2 weeks ago) about his WTC study, but ... his presentation has been rescheduled to May 15th ("Dr. Hulsey will present on 9-11 WTC findings.").
This presentation is still on (a week fromn today), according to the ASCE Fairbanks events calendar:
9-11 WTC Recent Findings
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 12:00pm to 1:00pm

Dr. Leroy Hulsey will present on his recent findings about 9-11 WTC research.

I wouldn't expect anything dramatic coming out of the presentation. 'ASCE Fairbanks' is his home town 'club' of like professionals and it is odds on that he is one of their favoured senior members. So they will probably treat him gently.

Also those of us who are active in debate and suitably qualified are familiar with the topic and all the flaws in argument. His local associates almost certainly not informed in any depth.

And in any such group the preponderance of members is towards details focussed 'left brain' types. Such persons are unlikely to identify the fatal flaw of his base logic. The 'cannot prove a negative' in his claim 'Fires could NOT cause collapse of WTC7'. There has been very little recognition of that in online debate among those with significant interest and depth of familiarity.

It will be a bit different if he is NOT a favoured son. The other possibility being that he has one established rival who always disagrees with him. The rival wont 'win' in the local setting.

As an example of the sort of 'social dynamics' the long standing rivalry between G Szuladzinski and Z Bazant. Bazant has status and few even know of Szuladzinski.

Last edited:
It's always seemed to me that to support the AE911T position... you have to either affirmatively prove that a CD took place or affirmatively prove that fire cannot lead to the collapse of a steel building... such as 7wtc which had no active fire fighting, serious mechanical damage and a structure with multiple load transfer structures in the lower floors. Both of these proofs would be virtually impossible to do. My hunch is that the Hulsey's focus was the proof that fire could not cause the collapse we saw. That in itself seems a very steep hill to climb... especially considering that there is no detailed building complete set of data from before the Plane hit 1wtc until 7wtc collapsed. His "proof" therefore can only assumed and incomplete data.

[Mod: edited for politeness]

Last edited by a moderator:
you have to either affirmatively prove that a CD took place or affirmatively prove that fire cannot lead to the collapse of a steel building...
The second one CANNOT be proved Sander. To prove a negative - in this scenario - he has to falsify ALL the alternate mechanisms. And all of them cannot even be defined. Plus Hulsey et al have only analysed a limited number of scenarios - I don't know how many but it is not all. So the mechanism that could lead to a fire collapse could be one of those not analysed. Therefore the claim is false at the very foundation of his logic.

Then there have been many posts - much discussion - identifying errors in his analysis of the cases he has analysed.
So he is wrong at two levels:
1) The claim cannot be "proved" - all he can show is that he has NOT identified a fire caused collapse mechanism; AND
2) (Tho I have not studied it myself) It looks like he hasn't even proved that because his engineering analysis is flawed for the cases he has analysed.

So he is doubly wrong... :rolleyes:

But... It is an honor to be nominated, I guess.
Yes. But not a winning scenario other than as a neutral reporter. Or "curious visitor". Given that Hulsey's work is dubious at two levels raising EITHER of them would probably raise defences from Hulseys colleagues. If they even recognised the "false foundation logic issue" - most of them would be mainstream left brain engineers who simply would not see it.,

A couple of weeks ago I interviewed Stian Arnesen for my podcast. Stian has been in communication with AE911 about the Alaska report, and we talked about it:

Source: https://youtu.be/kyWi7miH5LE

01:31 yeah well it could it could potentially
01:34 lead to some unintentional consequences
01:39 I feel when when talking to one of the
01:41 peer reviewers what they've done in the
01:43 Alaska report that I got to know today
01:46 is that they've done an entire
01:50 simulation of the collapse of building 7
01:52 from the top down and they've with the
01:57 report being released hopefully before
02:01 the summer they have done modeling where
02:05 they've taken out certain sections of
02:09 the building and done the same as in the
02:11 official World Trade Center 7
02:14 and tried to simulate how things would
02:17 happen and also simulated according to
02:22 him that what would happen if all the
02:24 core columns would have been taken out
02:26 instantly hmm so they've gone through a
02:30 lot of different scenarios to exclude
02:33 the possibility that the official story
02:36 is true and they're hoping to get the
02:40 report within a couple of weeks for for
02:44 peer review the reason for the delay has
02:47 according to him Ben
02:50 because Leroy Halsey has been injured in
02:54 an accident and they've had to change a
02:59 bit of the rhetoric and the report due
03:02 to the language being used in it and I
03:08 think that with our report coming out
03:11 there can be some healthy questions
03:14 that could hopefully bring up some some
03:20 new questions that could lead somewhere
03:22 and I will of course notify you as soon
03:26 as I can when that report becomes
03:28 available in any draft or any in any way
03:31 because I think the more Minds look at
03:33 it with different glasses they the
03:38 better but with the future of 911
03:43 community I think that it will be I
03:45 think it will depend on the Alaska
03:48 report and the lawsuits coming up
I've not heard any update. But it's interesting that they "had to change a bit of the rhetoric and the report due to the language being used in it." That could refer to it being written by a Chinese graduate student, but I suspect it refers to Hulsey being one step away from conspiracy speculation. Years ago when starting out he was doing things like noting the occupants of Building 7 as if it were suspicious or speculating about how banks keep their files in fireproof cabinets, so there wasn't a lot of flammable material. So perhaps some of that found its way in and had to be excised to make it more academic.

I'm sure it will come out eventually.

A couple of weeks ago I interviewed Stian Arnesen for my podcast. Stian has been in communication with AE911 about the Alaska report, and we talked about it:
Can you let on a bit about who Stian Arnesen is, and how come AE911 communicates with him about the Alaska report?

Can you let on a bit about who Stian Arnesen is, and how come AE911 communicates with him about the Alaska report?
I don't really know how his contact with AE911 came about. He contacted me after I was on Joe Rogan. He was trying to get Richard Gage on Rogan with me, and that went as far as a brief Skype video call with me, Stian, and Richard. But I've not heard from Rogan for a while, so that went nowhere.

[Gage seemed much as he appeared on other videos. He told me he was not that interested in debating debunkers, but indicated he would do it if it meant getting a large audience, like on Rogan]

Since then Stain has occasionally chatted with me on Facebook. He's a nice genuine guy. Used to be into crop circles and UFOs. Now less so, and he's also been open to examination of the 9/11 Truth movement.

TFTRH #4 goes into more detail about his past:

Source: https://youtu.be/J9KQUQxyxv0

He told me he was not that interested in debating debunkers, but indicated he would do it if it meant getting a large audience
And there is absolutely no benefit in making the obvious response to that admission. He is confident and assured of the security of his market niche.

From what I've heard it seems they are trying to get something out in time for the Sept 11 anniversary (this year, 2019). Still, so many missed release timeframes that I'll believe it when I see it.

Leroy Hulsey no longer is the Department Chair of UAF's Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering; he is now listed merely as "Faculty" / "Professor":

http://cem.uaf.edu/cee/people.aspx (http://archive.is/6wrba)

Now, as he was born in 1941 and would thus be 77 or 78 years old by now, age may be an excellent reason for him to step back or for UAF to select a fresher Chair. But still one wonders...

The new Chair, Robert Perkins, has been a professor at the UAF-CEE for 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
This report of theirs will never be released.

http://action.ae911truth.org/o/50694/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=1402727

Building 7 Study to be released Sept. 3

In just a couple of weeks, the breakthrough Building 7 Study by Dr. Leroy Hulsey will be released, proving definitively that fire did not cause the destruction of World Trade Center Building 7 on 9/11.

I urgently need your help to raise $50,000 by August 31st to spread the word about this study far and wide.

http://action.ae911truth.org/o/50694/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=1402727

Building 7 Study to be released Sept. 3

In just a couple of weeks, the breakthrough Building 7 Study by Dr. Leroy Hulsey will be released, proving definitively that fire did not cause the destruction of World Trade Center Building 7 on 9/11.

I urgently need your help to raise $50,000 by August 31st to spread the word about this study far and wide.

It'll be interesting to see if any of Prof. Hulsey's research assistants also lent their names to the report. It seems at least one of them ran away from the project as fast as he could.

It's also disappointing that AE911Truth and Prof. Hulsey are seemingly charging along with releasing the report without first subjecting it to any of the peer review processes they previously promised. They first stated that it was their intent to have the paper published by a peer reviewed engineering journal but then later watered that down to only say the report would be subject to a six week comment period for an undefined group of "peers" (which presumably meant those who signed up on the project website to be reviewers, but it could have been intended to be even narrower than that). I believe at one point Prof. Hulsey also threaded the needle by saying in an interview that maybe a European engineering journal would publish it. Now the report is coming out with AE911Truth standing firmly behind its conclusions without any peer review taking place whatsoever, so far as we know. I don't think anyone here is surprised that AE911Truth is pushing it out that way in the end, but I am somewhat surprised that Prof. Hulsey didn't come to his senses and find his integrity during this drawn out process. I strongly suspect that, if the report is not going to be be subjected to any serious, independent review, it's because Prof. Hulsey knows the report would not survive such a review.

My prediction: Prof. Hulsey merely formalized his previous power point presentation, glaring flaws and all, and added some additional analysis re just-so collapse models wherein he induced collapses caused by simulated demolition events.

It'll be interesting to see if any of Prof. Hulsey's research assistants also lent their names to the report. It seems at least one of them ran away from the project as fast as he could.

It's also disappointing that AE911Truth and Prof. Hulsey are seemingly charging along with releasing the report without first subjecting it to any of the peer review processes they previously promised. They first stated that it was their intent to have the paper published by a peer reviewed engineering journal but then later watered that down to only say the report would be subject to a six week comment period for an undefined group of "peers" (which presumably meant those who signed up on the project website to be reviewers, but it could have been intended to be even narrower than that). I believe at one point Prof. Hulsey also threaded the needle by saying in an interview that maybe a European engineering journal would publish it. Now the report is coming out with AE911Truth standing firmly behind its conclusions without any peer review taking place whatsoever, so far as we know. I don't think anyone here is surprised that AE911Truth is pushing it out that way in the end, but I am somewhat surprised that Prof. Hulsey didn't come to his senses and find his integrity during this drawn out process. I strongly suspect that, if the report is not going to be be subjected to any serious, independent review, it's because Prof. Hulsey knows the report would not survive such a review.

My prediction: Prof. Hulsey merely formalized his previous power point presentation, glaring flaws and all, and added some additional analysis re just-so collapse models wherein he induced collapses caused by simulated demolition events.

I have a feeling you are correct... change the font and do a spell check and issue his previous offering as the final report. Truthers don't do well when they have to defend or debate with people who understand engineering and science.

It's also disappointing that AE911Truth and Prof. Hulsey are seemingly charging along with releasing the report without first subjecting it to any of the peer review processes they previously promised.

In another press reslease they describe it as a draft.
https://www.ae911truth.org/news/543...years-later-september-2019-schedule-of-events

In the first week of September, AE911Truth will participate in releasing the draft report of the groundbreaking World Trade Center Building 7 Study by researchers at the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF).

The release of this report will include a livestreamed presentation by the study’s principal investigator, Dr. Leroy Hulsey, at UAF’s Schaible Auditorium on September 3, 2019, followed by a second presentation from Dr. Hulsey at the UC Berkeley Faculty Club on September 5, 2019. The draft report will be published that same week at http://ine.uaf.edu/wtc7 — as well as at AE911Truth.org — and will be open for public comment for a six-week period ending October 15, 2019.
The livestream will be here:
https://media.uaf.edu/media/t/0_770r6b6b

In another press reslease they describe it as a draft.
https://www.ae911truth.org/news/543...years-later-september-2019-schedule-of-events

In the first week of September, AE911Truth will participate in releasing the draft report of the groundbreaking World Trade Center Building 7 Study by researchers at the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF).

The release of this report will include a livestreamed presentation by the study’s principal investigator, Dr. Leroy Hulsey, at UAF’s Schaible Auditorium on September 3, 2019, followed by a second presentation from Dr. Hulsey at the UC Berkeley Faculty Club on September 5, 2019. The draft report will be published that same week at http://ine.uaf.edu/wtc7 — as well as at AE911Truth.org — and will be open for public comment for a six-week period ending October 15, 2019.
The livestream will be here:
https://media.uaf.edu/media/t/0_770r6b6b

Sounds about right... go for publicity with the old stuff...

I have a feeling you are correct... change the font and do a spell check and issue his previous offering as the final report. Truthers don't do well when they have to defend or debate with people who understand engineering and science.

I suspect you are wrong here. His previous offering was just a PowerPoint presentation. Now they are going to also present the results of various simulation of the full building model they have created. They will show some where they tweaked it to look like the videos of the collapse. They will probably show some where they set up what they think NIST described, and show how it differs.

The graphic they put in the fundraiser is a good indication of this:

I suspect you are wrong here. His previous offering was just a PowerPoint presentation. Now they are going to also present the results of various simulation of the full building model they have created. They will show some where they tweaked it to look like the videos of the collapse. They will probably show some where they set up what they think NIST described, and show how it differs.

The graphic they put in the fundraiser is a good indication of this:

Just to clarify (because it was my quote to which @Jeffrey Orling was responding)--I expect them to focus a significant portion of the report on their collapse models, which will be new to the public. But the heart of their report is still going to be the analyses they previously included in the power point presentation, which was collectively debunked here. Those analyses (flawed as they were) were taken as Prof. Hulsey as "proof" that fire could not cause the collapse of the building and so he moved on to separately analyze a global model of the building with the goal of demonstrating what could cause the collapse. It is a logically tortured way to conduct a study, but that's more or less how Hulsey has described his process over the years.

Feng Xiao is now an (assistant?) professor at a Chinese university (Nanjing, if memory serves), and has had until most recently papers published where he collaborated with Hulsey (all on bridges) - so I assume you are talking of Zhili Quan?

It's also disappointing that AE911Truth and Prof. Hulsey are seemingly charging along with releasing the report without first subjecting it to any of the peer review processes they previously promised. They first stated that it was their intent to have the paper published by a peer reviewed engineering journal but then later watered that down to only say the report would be subject to a six week comment period for an undefined group of "peers" (which presumably meant those who signed up on the project website to be reviewers, but it could have been intended to be even narrower than that).
I think you are conflating a few things here.
First, they have a "review panel", presumably hand-picked by Gage by the criterion "dyed-in-the-wool Truther". Not sure what their exact role is - I imagine they vetted and guided Hulsey's draft before the upcoming publication of the same.
Then, they promised a sex-week period for public comments - and that is still on, as I documented in my post earlier today
And finally, he had said he would seek to publish in peer-reviewed journals. Now that would not, could not apply to the entire report - journals accept papers, not full-fledged study reports. This is probably not going to happen.

I believe at one point Prof. Hulsey also threaded the needle by saying in an interview that maybe a European engineering journal would publish it.
Yes - true as regards journal papers.

Now the report is coming out with AE911Truth standing firmly behind its conclusions without any peer review taking place whatsoever, so far as we know.
Read my previous post!
I am somewhat surprised that Prof. Hulsey didn't come to his senses and find his integrity during this drawn out process. I strongly suspect that, if the report is not going to be be subjected to any serious, independent review, it's because Prof. Hulsey knows the report would not survive such a review.

I am less sure than you that Hulsey is not himself a dyed-in-the-wool Truther. I had privately entered the hope, which I considered rather unlikely, that he would end up with a big NYAAANYAAA HAHA IT WAS FIRE AFTER ALL up the noses of Gage and co. - but that hope has now sailed. Evidently, AE911Truth knows the draft report already, and they are pleased with it.

Oh wait ... I didn't post here :D

Anyway, the AE911Truth website had two news items out yesterday: One was "Building 7 Study to Be Released September 3" and does not mention any "draft" or "six weeks", but the other does:

Science, Truth, and Justice 18 Years Later: September 2019 Schedule of Events

This article says:
The draft report will be published that same week at http://ine.uaf.edu/wtc7 — as well as at AE911Truth.org — and will be open for public comment for a six-week period ending October 15, 2019.
So: Public review until October 15th.

Source: https://soundcloud.com/user-989685163/911-breakthroughs-on-the-horizon-as-18th-anniversary-nears-richard-gage-and-ted-walter

Here they discuss the upcoming report, Some points:
  • It's 130 pages, which they mention several times
  • There will be a 6 week public comment period
  • (20:35) They ran a simulation of removing six floors worth of columns, and the building fell straight down (why they need to run a simulation for that is not clear).
  • Hulsey will do a live (streamed) presentation on Sept 3rd, 5PM Pacific in Alaska.
  • Hulsey will fly down to do another presentation at UC Berkely, sept 5th, 5PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back