WTC 7 (Building 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the credentials to comment. Since I'm new here I don't know the area of expertise of other members. Is there anyone here with a basic knowledge of thermodynamics?
Jazzy seems to be the most vocal about such issues . . . :)

Thermodynamics

Of course it could happen, because it did, but fire didn't do it.

I don't claim to know what happened, I just know that what I'm looking at does not match the explanation offered. I don't go around looking for conspiracies, I would LOVE for someone to come up with something that makes sense.

I have the credentials to comment. Since I'm new here I don't know the area of expertise of other members. Is there anyone here with a basic knowledge of thermodynamics?

Speaking on behalf of structural engineers, I can say, "It didn't happen from fire."

That was it. :(
lol

So... I don't get it. So advanced we only get... What was that?

Well I disagree... The photo's are very much about collapsed buildings, debris and disaster... They portray an aftermath, the fact that 7 is in the distance smoking black smoke without visible flame is incidental to the depiction (NB Black smoke may indicate oxygen starvation although obviously it can also depend on whatever is being burned)... so yes I say it is a deliberate and dishonest attempt to portray 7's fires as far worse than they actually were.

Typical Oxy- bobing and weaving with misdirection and obfuscation.

In a thread on WTC7, I posted pictures of WTC7 burning. You claimed they were "after collapse"- which in fact, they were not after the collapse of WTC7. When the error of your observation is pointed out you simply move the goalposts and claim that posting a picture of WTC7 burning is somehow a "deliberate and dishonest attempt to portray 7's fires as far worse than they actually were".

Utterly inane and nonsensical...reverting to type are you?

That's the extent of my expertise. I don't claim to know more than that and anything else would be speculation on my part. If it's not explosives and it's not fire, then it has to be a combination of those things or another technology that has not been considered so far.

That's the extent of my expertise. I don't claim to know more than that and anything else would be speculation on my part. If it's not explosives and it's not fire, then it has to be a combination of those things or another technology that has not been considered so far.

Then start with the NIST report and show us how your expertise was applied to conclude that it was not possible. I hope that this would be able to be done without copy pasting some response from elsewhere on the web, or reposting photos like Oxy did; or anything of the like. When somebody says expertise; that usually means they can do more than copy/paste from a source and put that on metabunk.

How would you define expertise? Where did you study? What did you study? You said you speak on behalf of structural engineers; how is that possible unless you are a structural engineer?

Then start with the NIST report and show us how your expertise was applied to conclude that it was not possible. I hope that this would be able to be done without copy pasting some response from elsewhere on the web, or reposting photos like Oxy did; or anything of the like. When somebody says expertise; that usually means they can do more than copy/paste from a source and put that on metabunk.

How would you define expertise? Where did you study? What did you study? You said you speak on behalf of structural engineers; how is that possible unless you are a structural engineer?

For starters, a scientific report released for the scientific community is something that can be verified by other people in the industry. That means the original assumptions need to be available before you can do any analysis to see if you can reach the same conclusion. None of that information is available, so the scientific community has nothing to verify. So much for that.

There were several versions of this report initially, and in it's original form it contained scientific language that actually meant something. None of that language remains in this final report. Some of the people creating this report are Nobel Prize winners in physics. In order to satisfy their disbelief in the findings, the scientific language has been removed almost entirely, so what you have is a report written in laymen's language that could mean almost anything and nothing specific.

The final assessment is that it could have happened as described, but very highly unlikely.

But you said that it's not fire. You said you know this because of "thermodynamics".

So back that up. Explain.

For starters, a scientific report released for the scientific community is something that can be verified by other people in the industry. That means the original assumptions need to be available before you can do any analysis to see if you can reach the same conclusion. None of that information is available, so the scientific community has nothing to verify. So much for that.

False. There's a vast amount of verifiable evidence in the report. See:
https://www.metabunk.org/files/NCSTAR_1-9_WTC7_unlocked.pdf

There were several versions of this report initially, and in it's original form it contained scientific language that actually meant something. None of that language remains in this final report. Some of the people creating this report are Nobel Prize winners in physics. In order to satisfy their disbelief in the findings, the scientific language has been removed almost entirely, so what you have is a report written in laymen's language that could mean almost anything and nothing specific.

And how do you know this? Provide evidence.

Last edited:
But you said that it's not fire. You said you know this because of "thermodynamics".

So back that up. Explain.

FEMA report found
• severe corrosion on steel
• oxidation and sulfidation
• intergrannular melting
• eutectic liquid of iron, oxygen and sulfur

This is not addressed by the NIST report, especially interesting is the sulfur. No melted steel was considered at all by the report.

I have to go now and may be gone for a few days. If someone can please come up with a solution, maybe we can end this thread, cheers. ;)

FEMA report found
• intergrannular melting

This is not addressed by the NIST report, especially interesting is the sulfur. No melted steel was considered at all by the report.

I have to go now and may be gone for a few days. If someone can please come up with a solution, maybe we can end this thread, cheers. ;)

The things you list have nothing to do with thermodynamics. It was a chemical reaction that most people assume happened in the month-long fires after the building collapsed.

And how do you know this? Provide evidence.

You said you can look things up. When you release a report, do you release the first draft?

The things you list have nothing to do with thermodynamics. It was a chemical reaction that most people assume happened in the month-long fires after the building collapsed.

And there you have it.

No one in the scientific community assumes this. The presence of sulfur in a fire like this has everything to do with thermodynamics. Where did the sulfur come from?

Wallboard for one source.

A wallboard panel is made of a paper liner wrapped around an inner core made primarily from gypsum plaster. The raw gypsum, CaSO4·2 H2O, (mined or obtained from flue-gas desulfurization (FGD)) must be calcined before use to produce the hemihydrate of calcium sulfate (CaSO4·½ H2O).
Content from External Source
Lots of wallboard in those buildings. Much of it was pulverized.

You said you can look things up. When you release a report, do you release the first draft?

So you can't link to it? How do you know what it said?

No one in the scientific community assumes this. The presence of sulfur in a fire like this has everything to do with thermodynamics. Where did the sulfur come from?

It came from the wallboards, the drywall. Hundreds of tons of Calcium sulfate.

Thermodynamics is the science of heat. Sulphur is covered under chemistry. I think you have your terminology confused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamics
Thermodynamics is a branch of natural science concerned with heat and its relation to energy and work. It defines macroscopic variables (such as temperature, internal energy, entropy, and pressure) that characterize materials and radiation, and explains how they are related and by what laws they change with time.

Thermodynamics is also the science of how chemical reactions occur under heat and pressure. Is there a scientist anywhere on this planet who says that the sulfur came from drywall? LOL

I'm done here. Cheers.

He claims to 'speak for structural engineers'. But then admits he isn't one. and he didn't know what wallboard is made of.

I would like to see a post from him that would encourage me to not just ignore him.

He claims to 'speak for structural engineers'. But then admits he isn't one. and he didn't know what wallboard is made of.

I would like to see a post from him that would encourage me to not just ignore him.

FYI, after structural engineers build something, I sign off on their work. What do you do?

Thermodynamics is also the science of how chemical reactions occur under heat and pressure.

No it's not. Look it up. Just just about where the heat goes. You might be thinking of thermochemistry.

Is there a scientist anywhere on this planet who says that the sulfur came from drywall? LOL

They all agree that drywall contains sulfur.

It sounds like Taz is a building inspector. I wonder why he won't tell us any more? I have a physics/geology background and LOTS of lab science in most fields. I often took a science class as an elective.

It sounds like Taz is a building inspector. I wonder why he won't tell us any more? I have a physics/geology background and LOTS of lab science in most fields. I often took a science class as an elective.

At least he knows what building codes are . . . :) . . . not that you don't . . . but it is his job . . .

I think it's more likely s/he's a realtor. Just signing something after the engineers inspect it.

All of which is irrelevant if Taz is not actually going to discuss anything structural.

or a developer

ther·mo·dy·nam·ics

Physics that deals with the relationships and conversions between heat and other forms of energy.
Taz . . . do you have any formal scientific training or experience? I talked to a very experienced and successful structural engineer one day about 911 . . . about the only thing he would venture was he saw some pictures of vertical steel support columns with 35 to 45 degree shear angles on them . . . he thought that was exactly what he would have expected in such a collapse . . . that is if they were not cut by torches in the clean up phase . . . another engineer . . . not structural engineer thought he felt things were suspect but would not venture why . . . I really think unless experts have the full weight of the information and data they have a hard time saying what they believe about 911 . . .

Typical Oxy- bobing and weaving with misdirection and obfuscation.

SR, you stated earlier...
Originally Posted by SR1419

Sorry Oxy- try again....none of the pictures in that post are after the collapse. You can clearly see WTC7 standing in every photo. So much for being "dishonest"....
In a thread on WTC7, I posted pictures of WTC7 burning. You claimed they were "after collapse"- which in fact, they were not after the collapse of WTC7. When the error of your observation is pointed out you simply move the goalposts and claim that posting a picture of WTC7 burning is somehow a "deliberate and dishonest attempt to portray 7's fires as far worse than they actually were".

Of course they are after collapse... after collapse of 1 & 2... the place looks like a moonscape and disaster area... which it is... but we were discussing 7 and the severity of the fires... The pictures give no indication of the severity of the fires in 7.... only a non related issue designed to conflate the issue and embroil it into the shock and awe of the terrible surrounding destruction. You cannot see any fires in 7 and the smoke source is unclear... so what was the point of the pictures if they were not to conflate?

What visual evidence do you have for the severity of the fires? How about some video showing 'total involvement of 7 in fire'?

Last edited by a moderator:
The NIST report covers it in great detail

The building was not totally involved, but substantial portions of several floors were, and it varied over time as the fire grew and moved.
The question becomes . . . were the fires hot enough in the proper locations . . . with the available fuel to attain and maintain the temperatures required to cause the failures . . . the NIST experts obviously think so but they have no choice but to conclude that they did . . . we have no direct thermal evidence except the failures . . .

8.4.1 Column Failure by Heating
Heating of a column could occur as a result of a building contents fire, or as had been suggested, from a diesel fire resulting from rupture of a fuel line supplying one of several emergency generators in the building. Prediction of growth and spread of building contents fires (Section 9.3.2) indicated that such
fires moved from one location to the next (e.g., from one office cubicle to the next) and burned intensely in any one location for roughly 20 min to 30 min. However, the large floor area surrounding Column 79 would have had sufficient combustibles (i.e., cubicles) to support fires in that area for two to three hours.
A diesel fuel fire could also have occurred in the vicinity of Column 79, but analyses have shown (Section 9.2) that the duration of such a fire would be limited to less than two hours. A thermal analysis was conducted of Column 79, typical of the geometry found on lower floors, i.e., a W14x730 section with cover plates and thermal insulation (see Chapter 9). Based on the knowledge that the yield strength of steel is reduced to roughly 50 percent of its room temperature value at steel temperatures of around 500 ºC to 600 ºC, it was found that it would take roughly 6 h of continuous exposure from a fully developed fire (gas temperatures of around 1100 ºC) to reach these temperatures. Therefore, it would not have been possible for a building contents fire to have heated a massive, insulated column such as Column 79 to the point of failure.
Sections 9.2 and 8.9.1 show that the worst-case scenarios associated with ruptured fuel lines generated fires that could not be sustained long enough, would have produced too little heat to raise the temperatures of the steel to the point of significant loss of strength, and/or would have led to the flowing of smoke out the ventilation louvers, which contradicts the visual evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question becomes . . . were the fires hot enough in the proper locations . . . with the available fuel to attain and maintain the temperatures required to cause the failures . . . the NIST experts obviously think so but they have no choice but to conclude that they did . . . we have no direct thermal evidence except the failures . . .

Absent that evidence, the best questions to ask is: "was it possible?".

Or maybe "is there any evidence that it was impossible?"

Wallboard for one source.

A wallboard panel is made of a paper liner wrapped around an inner core made primarily from gypsum plaster. The raw gypsum, CaSO4·2 H2O, (mined or obtained from flue-gas desulfurization (FGD)) must be calcined before use to produce the hemihydrate of calcium sulfate (CaSO4·½ H2O).
Lots of wallboard in those buildings. Much of it was pulverized.
This is also the answer the BBC offered at the conclusion of its Conspiracy Files programme on WTC 7. However, the programme did not ask the question of what kind of reaction might actually be required to isolate elemental sulfur from calcium sulfate. Have you? It is by no means as "simple" as baking it in a rubble pile.

FEMA had steel from WTC 7 that was evidence of a "hot corrosion" attack.

NIST ignored it.

"No metallography could be carried out because no steel was recovered from WTC 7"
- NCSTAR 1-3, page 115

FEMA report found
• intergrannular melting

We could end the thread, or at least your part of it, if you would stop beating around the bush and say something. I feel like I'm watching a soap opera, I can tune in next month and the action will not have moved on, you will not have gotten to your point.

Absent that evidence, the best questions to ask is: "was it possible?".

Or maybe "is there any evidence that it was impossible?"
In the above #1283 Post (cited and inserted quote) NIST questions IMO their own findings . . . Me thinks they did what you just said . . . it is the best fit . . . that is all . . . if you exclude any skullduggery . . . that is . . . :)

I think it's more likely s/he's a realtor. Just signing something after the engineers inspect it.

All of which is irrelevant if Taz is not actually going to discuss anything structural.

I'm a Realtor, I don't sign anything after an engineer inspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back