Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

Hi I joined to get quick information and a general public knowledge sample on various subjects. Hopefully good information. I work in a Dr Jeckll technical field by day and a MR Hyde Fringe garage scientist at night.

Hi!
So glad I found this site. I've been arguing with my local organic grocer for about a year on this topic. He is relentless, posts all kinds of geoengineering videos, and calls it the most important issue of our time. So much energy misguided... Help me help him! We've got quite a back and forth going on Facebook... It's almost embarrassing.

For the post above. Let me give my 2 cents.
Look up March 1998 D&PL received approval of a patent for . Genetic Use Restriction Technology aka Control of Plant Gene Expression; Publication number US5723765 A, Publication type Grant, Application number US 08/477,559
Publication date Mar 3, 1998, Filing date Jun 7, 1995, Priority date Aug 1, 1994
Fee status Lapsed
Inventors Melvin John Oliver, Jerry Edwin Quisenberry,Norma Lee Glover Trolinder, Don Lee Keim
Original Assignee Delta And Pine Land Co., BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan
Patent Citations (12), Non-Patent Citations (68), Referenced by (90),Classifications (18), Legal Events (7)
External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet

Monsanto acquired Delta & Pine Land (DPL), who jointly holds 3 US patents on this tech with the US Department of Agriculture. In October 2005, DPL won other similar patents in both Europe and Canada. Also, the multinational seed company Syngenta is requesting a Canadian patent on this tech for potatoes.

Here is what Monsanto says and it is true in word. It is true that they never developed this technology. They bought it.
They promise never to develop it. They wont it already developed. Monsanto promised to never sell it, they wont, but a subsidiary may sell it and that may legally count as Monsanto not selling it.
http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/terminator-seeds.aspx
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/16/business/16seed.html?_r=0
http://www.google.com/patents/US5723765

Let me know if this is true or fake. Bunk or no bunk.
I am curious to know if researching this deep can still lead to getting bunk.

I found your site, after following some threads on Geo- engineering. As a retired, military analyst, and citizen who has children and grandchildren who I am concerned about, I have been researching the origination of "climate" as a tool of control, both of society and of economics.
My desire is to move past the minutia, into a realm of acknowledgement that it is happening and has been for some time.
In my area of poking about, I rarely found it beneficial to discuss results prior to acknowledgment--Where are we on this
base building block. The process is in evidence here in Oregon on a daily basis, and conferences have been held on the subject. Thoughts welcome. From my position, the action is to be suspect -- military experimentation is not new or benign.

I found your site, after following some threads on Geo- engineering. As a retired, military analyst, and citizen who has children and grandchildren who I am concerned about, I have been researching the origination of "climate" as a tool of control, both of society and of economics.
My desire is to move past the minutia, into a realm of acknowledgement that it is happening and has been for some time.
In my area of poking about, I rarely found it beneficial to discuss results prior to acknowledgment--Where are we on this
base building block. The process is in evidence here in Oregon on a daily basis, and conferences have been held on the subject. Thoughts welcome. From my position, the action is to be suspect -- military experimentation is not new or benign.

At present, no one has been able to provide evidence that geoengineering is occurring. Please read the posting guidelines regarding links and evidence https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/

Hello everybody!

I was just looking into history of unethical experiments (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala_syphilis_experiment). I had to investigate the claim that CIA killed 12 with whooping cough, and found it debunked here: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/de...cough-experiment-in-1955-kills-12-people.630/

I've also known a few Truthers and spent a few hours here and there reading about conspiracy theories on the internet.

I value honesty, and I strongly believe that honest communication must strive to be informative about the epistemological basis for everything communicated.

As a result:

1. I'm sympathetic to "conspiracy theorists" who recognize the limits of their knowledge and accept good evidence and arguments.

2. And it upsets me when people assert the falsehood of conspiracies without sufficient justification.

3. And it disgusts me to see honest people unfairly ridiculed for holding false beliefs.

Generally speaking, I have a strong prior against conspiracy and haven't invested much time in gathering evidence about conspiracies, since I do not see much value in it.

Welcome.
I hope you will find this site attempts to Always discuss the topic, and not ridicule the people.
There is nothing stupid about a false belief. most of us do not have the time to properly research (watching a few youtube vids with scary music is not research) and most of us don;t understand the science.
Therefore we end up having to take a watered down, basic layman's explanation for something with a few keypoints.
It does help if there are links to show where these points come from if people are prepared to read up further.

what is often a problem is clinging on to these beliefs even when shown the belief is false and exactly why.

Hey. Stumbled upon this site by accident when googling for the origins of the "hand in waistcoat" -pose that some people like to use as "proof" that Napoleon & al were freemasons. Found a nice summary of its history by Mick West here (thanks for that), ended up browsing the forum and realized I quite like what I'm seeing.

I'm a 24 year old Finnish dude who used to be a truther for awhile. Having been 11 at the time of 911 I found the whole events fascinating and the conspiracy theories around it were fuel for my vivid imagination so I embraced them. As I got older I naturally wanted to look more into it, and started looking for the evidence for these theories more closely and bit by bit realized that I had been mislead. Since this I have done a lot of debating and discussion online not only about that but all sorts of subjects and conspiracies.

People often say that online discussion is useless because it so often turns into a mess of insults and yelling. And while that does happen, I also believe that most people who believe false things are both willing and able to change their minds as long as they're treated respectfully. They might not come back with "aha, you made me change my mind", but just getting them to question their reasons is good enough for me.

I also believe that most people who believe false things are both willing and able to change their minds as long as they're treated respectfully
I've never observed that myself yet, but glad to hear there is this 'new push' to believe that. I like to believe the people who dont post their thoughts online are helped with the truth though. Hope is what keeps everyone going. So thanks for sharing and Welcome!

There is a forum "out of the rabbit hole" for those who no longer believe certain conspiracies or bunk. and since your name is Bunny, felt it appropriate to entice you to share your story if you'd like to someday.

Howdy, I'm an American ex-pat studying overseas in Munich. I've been using this site as a resource for a while in various discussions, and it only recently occurred to me to sign up after watching AE911's most recent film [...] and doing a point-by-point rebuttal thereof. I'm particularly interested in medical conspiracy theories, bad science, and "woo". :)

(Also, just out of curiosity, would such a rebuttal be welcomed/appropriate in the 9/11 forum?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy, I'm an American ex-pat studying overseas in Munich. I've been using this site as a resource for a while in various discussions, and it only recently occurred to me to sign up after watching AE911's most recent film [...] and doing a point-by-point rebuttal thereof. I'm particularly interested in medical conspiracy theories, bad science, and "woo". :)

Welcome. Had to make a minor edit to your post for politeness. See: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/politeness-policy.1224/

(Also, just out of curiosity, would such a rebuttal be welcomed/appropriate in the 9/11 forum?)

There are some point-by-point rebuttals here, but we prefer to focus on single claims in single threads. A point-by-point ideally would be more of a list of rebuttals, rather than the rebuttals themselves. It just makes it easier to find and discuss individual claims, and avoids duplication.

Hello there everyone!
I have been reading on this site for about a month or so now. I cannot remember exactly how I got here the first time, but I been stuck after the first visit.
So much information and ideas about different things that simply isn't what everyone on facebook says. So after reading here for little over a month now I figured it was time to make an account.
I am a student from Sweden that will soon become jobless. I enjoy reading theories about anything and everything. If I have nothing better to do? Well then I'll read about things on the internet.

I am a student from Sweden that will soon become jobless. I enjoy reading theories about anything and everything. If I have nothing better to do? Well then I'll read about things on the internet.

Welcome. And as well as reading, maybe write a little? :)

I just wanted to say hi real quick. We'll see how that goes.. I just discovered Metabunk. Having read through some of the policies, I have to say I'm a little impressed. (So this is where people go to debunk things properly and not just sling mud at one another?) I think Sagan would be proud of this place. I can't wait to get started.

I'm new to critical thinking and skepticism, having only started a year ago with Steven Novella's primer, Your Deceptive Mind. I'm completely hooked. I listen to SGU constantly, and some friends and I have started an amateur skeptical group on Facebook, The Cadre of Skeptical Oregonians. So, that tells you where I'm from.. Not much else to say at the moment. Looking forward to talking with all the fine people here, and learning about science and skepticism.

(What's this? A real word editor? I don't have to bounce into open office all the time anymore? I've been in faceland too long.. Lookit that, I can use carriage returns in my comments and everything. No wonder the people here are so nice.)

välkommen...

Yes, and you may wish to view another site called 'Contrail Science' as well.

Enjoy reading, and it's great that you joined. You already have an 'avatar'.....spot on.

Tackar!
I will take a look at that site aswell. :)
The picture just kinda appeared. Im guessing something like gravatar integration or such.

Welcome. And as well as reading, maybe write a little? :)

Hopefully I will have something of use to add to the discussions. After all the reading I done on here so far I feel like my English vocabulary is a bit too small to add something with substance as of yet. But I may be able to cough something together every now and then. :)

I've understood everything you have posted so far mate :)

Well of course! I don't doubt my own skills to have a conversation with someone. However, as soon as things start to get a bit more technical I will struggle. I may be able to understand most of the words, or easily look them up. But I do not know them well enough to use them properly. Not to mention that the subjects I read about here on metabunk is a bit out of my leauge to comment on so far. :)

Well of course! I don't doubt my own skills to have a conversation with someone. However, as soon as things start to get a bit more technical I will struggle. I may be able to understand most of the words, or easily look them up. But I do not know them well enough to use them properly. Not to mention that the subjects I read about here on metabunk is a bit out of my leauge to comment on so far. :)

No worries. But it's interesting to hear your perspective on that. Thanks, it helps. (...sometimes some of us might exist in a "self-imposed bubble" and not realize that not everyone "grasps" what we are saying).

Hello to all. I have been a long time "stalker" of your forum, using parts of it as reference material in near-pointless on-line discussions with others, and seeing no real reason to join. But for the last year, I have been particularly interested in debunking the conspiracy theories that seem to abound, particularly around the Sandy Hook massacre. If you don't mind, I will continue to just observe for a while, and try to learn the ins-and-outs of all the bells and whistles of uploading reference material to fortify any post I may make. Ah, the shortcoming of my generation born before personal computers - I'm starting to appreciate the difficulties people may have had when Gutenberg invented the printing press.

I do have one question - while I don't accept the various theories around the subject of the Kennedy assassination, has there ever been a discussion of the account of a Mr. Abraham Bolden's claims regarding this matter? I speak as someone who knew Mr. Bolden from working with him at a job I held, and I found him to be a quite honorable and conscientious man, and I have a hard time believing he would publicly lie about something like this. While he briefly alluded to things that happened in his past during our many workplace discussions, he did not delve into them in any detail. I am interested into researching this further.

I do have one question - while I don't accept the various theories around the subject of the Kennedy assassination, has there ever been a discussion of the account of a Mr. Abraham Bolden's claims regarding this matter?

Welcome. No, there has not been any discussion of Bolden on Metabunk. But after silence for 44 years, it's pretty much impossible to verify his claims unless there's some actual evidence.

Anyway, this is not the thread for that. If you'd like to start one, you'd probably want to revisit the Posting Guidelines first.
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/

Welcome. No, there has not been any discussion of Bolden on Metabunk. But after silence for 44 years, it's pretty much impossible to verify his claims unless there's some actual evidence.

Anyway, this is not the thread for that. If you'd like to start one, you'd probably want to revisit the Posting Guidelines first.
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/
Thanks for the advice, Mick. I'll wait a while, thank you.

Hi everyone!

I discovered this forum a few months ago by looking up the fake Russian picture of a plane shooting down the MH17. Ever since then, Metabunk has become my #1 reference for any fact checking and debunking.

I am a native French speaker as well and live on the other side of the ocean for many of you, I figured it could be helpful for translation of French bunks or any verification for facts this corner of Europe.

Thanks for reading me and looking forward to read from you all on other threads!

Hello. I'm James. Stumbled on this site while 'investigating' some of the claims of those who believe the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax. I have a child who was in the first grade at the time and the whole thing really hit home. Imagining the horror those kids faced and the torture the parents have endured is overwhelming sometimes. Then to see people be so callous and dismissive of that pain truly amazes me. It's just good to see that their ridiculous fantasies are not left completely unchecked. Hopefully sites like this will prevent at least some from being roped In to such lunacy. And maybe even bring some back from the edge.
I may not have much to offer but I have already learned quite a bit. So thanks for that.

Hi, Im Thom and came across your site when researching all the conspiracy claims about the France shooting. It was interesting to see people attempting and often successfully debunking certain topics. I must be totally honest though, I do not believe in the official story of 911, and if that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it. I am wondering what this sites definition of a conspiracy theorist is, I dont believe it is fair to stroke with a broad brush on this. There are people who think the planes were a hologram, of course, this is ridiculous. They are called conspiracy theorists, but there are reasonable, intelligent, articulate, and educated people that do not believe in the official story, and I believe that lumping them in with the fringe crowd is unfair and intellectually dishonest. So, let me reassure everyone, I am not here to start trouble, I am here to honestly assess the information presented on topics, contribute from time to time, ask questions, and ... yes ... from time to time, challenge some assertions with respect and honest curiosity.

I am wondering what this sites definition of a conspiracy theorist is
There are threads discussing what individual people feel the definition of "conspiracy theorists" is. Can be found with the search option
Or you can start a thread in 'chit chat' or 'general discussion' but please read posting guidelines first. Whcih can be found in the menu top of page.

Metabunk, though, is not about conspiracy theories. It just appears that way sometimes because many topics of Bunk just happen to be attached to conspiracy theories. So, yes, that topic is often discussed.

All polite input/insight is helpful! so Welcome!

..., I do not believe in the official story of 911, and if that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it. I am wondering what this sites definition of a conspiracy theorist is, I dont believe it is fair to stroke with a broad brush on this....
When you get evidence for 911 claims counter to 19 terrorists doing 911 with 4 planes, whatever they are, you can team with a newspaper and do what no one in 911 truth has done for 13 plus year; earn the biggest Pulitzer prize since Watergate.
You came to the right place, for reality. welcome, where is the evidence

Hi.

I discovered this site through research sparked by the Charlie Hebdo shootings. In particular, I got really annoyed at the CT nonsense showing up in my Facebook feed.

Instead of getting annoyed and screaming at the idiots, I want to learn how to handle CT type people properly. The rational folks here seem to be a good place to start learning. (I have read the politeness guidelines and will keep my screaming to this side of the keyboard!)

I generally have given up on wingnuts, but I'd like to do my best to stem their propagation! lol.

I've always been a skeptic, atheist and rationalist. Though my debunking history is currently limited to posting snopes links in response to utter nonsense on Facebook!

So, very pleased to meet you, Mick et al! Glad I found you.

Hi everyone,

my real name is Trevor, living in Las Vegas, I'd consider myself a life long skeptic/atheist raised by skeptical atheist who's now trying to raise his own little skeptic (he can choose to believe a religion if he'd like)

I'm joining mainly because I enjoy intelligent/polite discussion and when I read your guys rules that seems to be what you're all about.

I'm not to much of a poster (I'm probably not gonna start many threads) but If I feel I have something to add to the discussion or to add a point maybe no one has addressed you might see me?

OHHH and my dad hasn't joined but he lurks and wanted me to jokingly ask you guys "where the hell were you guys and the internet when I needed you in the 70’s-80’s" lol

But anyway, great forum guys, great discussions.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once it has been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png
Hello
I found your great site from a link someone posted in the comments section of an article at Natural News.
Great work you're doing here.
I am retired, and a little bio here:
http://www.twitter.com/phineasflapdood

Cheers,
Stephen Jones

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once it has been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png
HI! and Hello I am here because I am a electrical engineer and a mechanical engineer and I am looking to get debunked not to argue any theories,if this is ok let me know

Hey all,

I've been visiting this site for quite some time for all my debunking needs and decided it's finally time to join. I probably won't post too much in the way of new threads, aside maybe one about Gordon Duff/Veterans Today. That site really irks me for some reason. Anyway, I look forward to contributing where I can and trying out this whole debunking thing.

Back