Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

Hey, sorry for posting a while back without introducing myself (things were hectic). My name is Zach, and to put it simply, I have always been skeptical of everything. One of my biggest pet peeves is the fact that many CTs love to think they are heroes, simply because they believe they are right, despite being some of the most hateful, arrogant and abrasive people that I have ever encountered on the internet. To most, "utopia" justifies the means, even if it means slitting a few throats, which is ironic, given that many CTs accuse their chosen enemies of the same tactics writ large.

I personally believe that if you are going to defeat someone, you should start by refusing to stoop to their level, and that you should present all of the evidence, rather than the cherry-picked bits that support your theories. This is Metabunk's policy in a nutshell, and it is exactly the reason I joined. Anyway, I'll see everyone on the forums.

(On a side note, I am a Halo fan. Therefore, you can probably expect me to include examples based on things from the Haloverse just for the fun of it.)

Hi guys,

I'm a conspiracy theorist without the knowledge or expertise to back up my outlandish theories. I'm also a terrible speller. I believe the moon landings were faked, the official 911 theory doesn't hold water and jfk was assinated by multiple gun men and I can't prove any of it. In all honesty I've never found a conspiracy theory that convinces me %100, but I like the idea of questioning any official story rather than accepting at face value. I'll probably contribute very little to this community, but I hope to be educated by conspiracy theorists and sceptics alike, although I admit the most my educations comes from skeptics, ( The patient ones, not the condescending ones. I don't care for them.)

Hi Gundersen, and welcome!

Interesting article. The Google Translate version works very well, near perfect translation. It seems Danish must be very close to English underneath.
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=da&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://videnskab.dk/kultur-samfund/hvem-tror-pa-konspirationsteorier&edit-text=&act=url

And their collection of articles:
https://translate.googleusercontent...eorier&usg=ALkJrhi1FfLbTlaL2QZPlybsAIGsDJzaEw
Why don't scientist who research CT's or why people believe in CT's ever contact guys like you Mick. So that you can offer your insight and experience.

I feel Jason's post is a result of my own, ( although that could just be a CT, ;)) so I'd like to say something in defense of so called CTs if I could. Feel free to move this to another thread if need be. The reason I believe in the 'possibility' of some CTs is due to some historical precedents. Here are some
examples of historical events that I would also call conspiracies.

-USS Maine sinking 1898
(The sinking is not a proven conspiracy, but I feel the media blitz blaming it on the Spanish was a deliberate deception to mobilize a nation for war, due to the lack of evidence of Spanish involvement.)
-The Bay of Pigs 1961
-Operation Northwoods 1962
(Never carried out to anyone's knowledge, but still criminal to even consider such tactics.)
-Gulf of Tonkin 1964
-The Pentagon Papers 1971 (multiple lies exposed)
-The IranContra affair 1986
-Kuwaiti baby incubator hoax 1991 - First Gulf War
-WMD's in Iraq 2002 - Second Gulf War, (although not at an absolute lie, there does
appear to have been cherry picking in regards to intelligence collection.)
-US Military operations in Northern Pakistan despite constant government denial.
( One US official stated that people who believed the US was using drones in Pakistan were CTs.)
-AP Zunzeo revelations.

Based on these examples I don't see why it's unreasonable to question official narratives like the 'assassination of Osama Bin Laden' when the establishment produces no physical evidence to support their claims. In fact I find it strange that 'skeptics' believe official narratives like these without physical evidence. Isn't that what 'skeptics' do; remain skeptical until they see the evidence?

I feel Jason's post is a result of my own, ( although that could just be a CT, ;)) so I'd like to say something in defense of so called CTs if I could. Feel free to move this to another thread if need be. The reason I believe in the 'possibility' of some CTs is due to some historical precedents. Here are some
examples of historical events that I would also call conspiracies.

-USS Maine sinking 1898
(The sinking is not a proven conspiracy, but I feel the media blitz blaming it on the Spanish was a deliberate deception to mobilize a nation for war, due to the lack of evidence of Spanish involvement.)
-The Bay of Pigs 1961
-Operation Northwoods 1962
(Never carried out to anyone's knowledge, but still criminal to even consider such tactics.)
-Gulf of Tonkin 1964
-The Pentagon Papers 1971 (multiple lies exposed)
-The IranContra affair 1986
-Kuwaiti baby incubator hoax 1991 - First Gulf War
-WMD's in Iraq 2002 - Second Gulf War, (although not at an absolute lie, there does
appear to have been cherry picking in regards to intelligence collection.)
-US Military operations in Northern Pakistan despite constant government denial.
( One US official stated that people who believed the US was using drones in Pakistan were CTs.)
-AP Zunzeo revelations.

Based on these examples I don't see why it's unreasonable to question official narratives like the 'assassination of Osama Bin Laden' when the establishment produces no physical evidence to support their claims. In fact I find it strange that 'skeptics' believe official narratives like these without physical evidence. Isn't that what 'skeptics' do; remain skeptical until they see the evidence?

Hi SFL, while interesting, this is rather off-topic for this thread, which is just for posting "Hello, I'm ...." type messages. Please have a look at the Posting Guidelines.

Hi, my name is Bad Vaio and I live in a quiet little town in england, just south of the wall. I am a very firm skeptic. I love reading beforeitsnews and similar sites for their entertainment value but the gullibility of the posters and the sheer arrogance of the 'contributors' annoys me.

I feel like I've lost brain cells after visiting sites such as that, and nutural news (yes, I spelled natural as NUTural), but it is important to check in on what new claims those sources post. I believe it's a priority of any self-proclaimed skeptic to call out bullshit, fairy tales and bunk... especially when it can potentially cause harm to individuals and societies.

I feel like I've lost brain cells after visiting sites such as that, and nutural news (yes, I spelled natural as NUTural), but it is important to check in on what new claims those sources post. I believe it's a priority of any self-proclaimed skeptic to call out bullshit, fairy tales and bunk... especially when it can potentially cause harm to individuals and societies.

But politely :)

Hi guys. I'm retired now, so have more time to check the science behind everything. If you think chemtrails are bad, go have a look at claims being made on "health" sites.

I've lurked here for a while now. My current "big project" is piecing together MH17, the world's biggest jigsaw puzzle. .

Hi, came across this wondeful place after despairing over the whole MH-17 was MH-370 nonsense that appeared.
It's my new comfort blanket when it comes to some of the more out there theories that appear on my Facebook news feed with alarming regularity, so thanks all.

Hi, came across this wondeful place after despairing over the whole MH-17 was MH-370 nonsense that appeared.
It's my new comfort blanket when it comes to some of the more out there theories that appear on my Facebook news feed with alarming regularity, so thanks all.
Welcome aboard

Hello Metabunk,
I've been visiting this site for almost 2 years now, and finally registered.
My first run-in with conspiracy theories was in 2006, when i watched "Loose Change" and I had my doubts about the official 9/11 story. This went on for a couple of months and I even talked about it to my brother and my parents. Fortunately I watched a program on TV one day, that debunked most of the claims. They convinced me because it made a lot more sense than the "inside-job"-argument. I had a good laugh at myself and decided to be more skeptical in the future.
That's what led me to science and debunking. Over the years I've become very interested in Meteorology, Geology and Aviation.
I also speak/write/read french and german, so if anyone ever needs a translation, please just write me :)
Cheers

Hello Metabunk,
I've been visiting this site for almost 2 years now, and finally registered.
My first run-in with conspiracy theories was in 2006, when i watched "Loose Change" and I had my doubts about the official 9/11 story. This went on for a couple of months and I even talked about it to my brother and my parents. Fortunately I watched a program on TV one day, that debunked most of the claims. They convinced me because it made a lot more sense than the "inside-job"-argument. I had a good laugh at myself and decided to be more skeptical in the future.
That's what led me to science and debunking. Over the years I've become very interested in Meteorology, Geology and Aviation.
I also speak/write/read french and german, so if anyone ever needs a translation, please just write me :)
Cheers

Bienvenue sur Metabunk. Comment ca va? I watched Loose Change in high school and believed 9/11 was an inside job for some time. What drove me away was seeing people who agreed the official story was false, yet their theories were incompatible with one another's and they weren't critical of other conspiracy theories, despite those theories conflicting with one another.

Hi there, found your site when poking around online for information to help deal with my chemtrail believer father in law. Great site, really like the fact by fact science based format.

Wishing you luck in helping him to learn some science facts.

Think its gonna be tough. To him its chemtrails, bilderberg, agenda 21, you name it its all connected and "they" are everywhere and its been planned for years.

Thing is, I can't abide the idea of all that crap being put into the minds of my kids when they hang with him. They adore him, and him them, so its worth a try tho.

Think its gonna be tough.

Well, you've come to one of the right places in any case. Hope all works out, and looking forward to your participation and input.

Family issues are touchy, though....eh? (Balance.....).

Oh and, though this thread is not the place for discussion...there are some threads on
"Agenda 21" here also (it is really quite a misconception, some people have):

https://www.metabunk.org/search/1463674/?q=agenda+21&o=relevance

Hello,

I'm new to metabunk, recently posting my first anti-bunks. In a weird way. Which got moderated as such :oops:

I'm starting to understand how this site works (post first, then understand; weird right?)

I have friends and family who forward odd bunk to me, and am looking forward to refuting them online here.

Ex-bunk-believer myself, really. Embarrassed to say... I'm recovering.

EDIT: and family

Bienvenue sur Metabunk. Comment ca va? I watched Loose Change in high school and believed 9/11 was an inside job for some time. What drove me away was seeing people who agreed the official story was false, yet their theories were incompatible with one another's and they weren't critical of other conspiracy theories, despite those theories conflicting with one another.

It's interesting you expected everyone else's views to line up. It's really the government's role to get a single straight story. But i guess humans don't like loose ends, so there are people for just about every conspiracy theory, who make it their life's work to come up with a unified theory for it, and converting others to their view.

Mick suggested up thread to another former believer
https://www.metabunk.org/forums/out-of-the-rabbit-hole-former-believers.29/
make a thread there to tell a bit about how you got into it and out of it. It helps everyone when dealing with new strange theories.

Good day.

My name is Thomas and reading the forums for quite a while now. I live in a small town in South Limburg, a provence of the Netherlands.

I am a father of an autistic son, and as such interested in the debunking of myths around autism. Also I have a strong dislike for quakery, when I was a kid my parents used only quaks and spiritual healers to look for a cure for my asthma. So you can imagine I was not a very happy and healthy kid for quite a few years until I'd seen a real doctor, which made my parents actually furious. Messed me up mentally quite a bit too.

So yeah, I can't stand when reading about parents giving their children MMS, but advocate vaccines are poison.

Anyhoe, finally signed up after the MH-17 plane crash, as a Dutchman I am following this, and there is too much bunk.

Cheers, great forum!

G'day.

I'm Juha, from Finland.

My education is master degree from University(freshwater fish-biology), also I got another degree from fishery, fishery technic, and I've done long mathematics and physics. So, I don't believe anything, expect Albert Einstein. :)

I always wanted to be a pilot, but life took me elsewhere. Hobby became profession. So, I just hang with them and I do some photography. I'm a lazy spotter also.

I just got fed up with these CTs. They are such [...], un-reasonable and against biology & physics. At first I laughed to them as any humor site, but they just got repeating, so most of fun is lost.

Huh, luckily my vacation starts at monday...

Hello all,
New to this forum. I found it by doing some reading on a skeptic blog about contrails, which led me to contrailscience and then here. I have been going through threads for 3 days and finally decided to sign up. Great forum!

A little about me. I am a Navy veteran and currently work for the Army supporting training devices across this country. I am married with 2 boys. For hobbies, I am into golf, scuba diving, and flying. I am a member of a few organizations (VFW, AMVETS, DAV, and another Fraternal Organization (3 guesses as to which one). I am a skeptic at heart and it is one of the reasons I like this forum so much.

Hello, I'll be using the nick Sn0w. I like to argue and sometimes it is wise to remain anonymous. I intend to use links to this site as arguments.

As you might expect I've been arguing with somebody crazy about UFOs. He provided proof as photos of contrails and while looking for similar images I came to find this site. I would like to hear your expert opinion on his sequence of images. I think the correct thread to post them is Squiggly Sinusoidal Thin Trails Over Europe .
BTW, this article have another similar photo, but I don't see it in the thread.

I've never seen or heard convincing chem-trail argument, so I've never been much into it. I probably won't be regular on this site, even though it looks like a wonderful place, with a lot of useful data, pictures and well structured explanations.

I'm Lord Hexagon of The BeeHive (a title for fun & to stimulate an understanding that together, we're all a collective). I arrived here by an intriguing thread I found from a browser search.

Ironically, the topic dealt with honesty of leaders and the press; hence VERY appropriate I arrived to the metabunk website.

I can't promise I will arrive often; because I'm pulled in many directions. I have a saying, "we do what we can, when we can." The time in our lives is now our most precious commodity. Coincidentally, I also believe this will happen (time will be a form on monetary trade).

Regardless, I'm glad I arrived; I will take a look around and I will attempt on ocassion to make the website an additional citation or knowledge resource.

Now having said all that; let's see some funk in the bunk, I will try to dunk - so as to not let my boat be sunk.

Welcome newcomers.... I would recommend becoming familiar with how to avoid using logical fallacies in presenting your case, these mistakes will not sway anyone on here and will often be pointed out when employed. Please provide a link to where information you are citing can be found and verified. Also, there is a lot of subject matter covered in these forums and quite often a newcomer will bring up a subject that has already been thoroughly covered, it would save time and energy to search the forums to see if something has already been addressed and either proven or debunked. http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html

I like law #2 "Poe's Law." This happens frequently in social media discussion groups.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...s-and-laws-the-top-10-from-Godwin-to-Poe.html

Welcome newcomers.... I would recommend becoming familiar with how to avoid using logical fallacies in presenting your case, these mistakes will not sway anyone on here and will often be pointed out when employed. Please provide a link to where information you are citing can be found and verified. Also, there is a lot of subject matter covered in these forums and quite often a newcomer will bring up a subject that has already been thoroughly covered, it would save time and energy to search the forums to see if something has already been addressed and either proven or debunked. http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html

Thanks Critical Thinkers for this link. I've enjoyed reading (some of the info I remembered), but much was forgotten. I will work towards full discernment, so I own it and I'm more effective at debate/collaboration.

Hi all,
I am an Italian physicist working as a consultant in computer science, more precisely in HPC (High Performance Computing) and technical computing.
Since I am appalled by the rise and popularity of absurd conspiracy theories, especially online, I am trying to actively contrast this by means of twitter posts (@cmnit) and a blog (mostly in Italian): zettayotta.wordpress.com
You could enjoy also my microblog where I post interest on minor stuff such as instagram photos and interesting quotes: cmnit.tumblr.com
Wrt this forum, I am interested in debunking chemtrails, antivax claims, anti-GMO unsupported claims, etc.

Congrats for the efforts of this forum and I hope to contribute a little and to learn a lot!

Wrt this forum, I am interested in debunking chemtrails...

Welcome. Since you are Italian, and one of your debunking interests is "chem"trails, are you aware of a fellow Italian who spouts "chem"trail nonsense, using the Internet handle "TankerEnemy"? He/she posts voluminously on YouTube. Has a dedicated website, too.

Welcome. Since you are Italian, and one of your debunking interests is "chem"trails, are you aware of a fellow Italian who spouts "chem"trail nonsense, using the Internet handle "TankerEnemy"? He/she posts voluminously on YouTube. Has a dedicated website, too.

Hi, yes of course I know him, Rosario Marcianò! He has been debunked endless times by Italian debunkers, but he has still some ways to get into the media, most of the times in fringe outlets. There are other organized groups as well, of course. Cheers

Hi, yes of course I know him, Rosario Marcianò! He has been debunked endless times by Italian debunkers, but he has still some ways to get into the media, most of the times in fringe outlets. There are other organized groups as well, of course. Cheers
I'm curious to know, what are some popular Italian conspiracy theories or European ones if you don't mind sharing

Back