USS Kidd (and other Ships) "Drones" Encounter, 2019

jackfrostvc

One thing I find odd, is the retoric I hear that to me makes no sense.

1) It was dark therefor they couldn't see the drones.

Well, NAVY ships have big search lights on them that can light up an aircraft at 30k feet. If there were drones buzzing them at night, they surely would have spotlighted them and taken zoomed in pictures .

And don't the NAVY ships have drones of their own they could have used to check out the mystery drones?

2) They don't have anything to shoot them down, too small

Well they were supposedly 6 foot across if you believe Corbell (Yeah I know). In any event, the destroyers have machine guns and gattling guns they use to fire at close in threats. Some of these machine guns are used to shoot missiles traveling at high speed. They would make mince meat out of a 6 foot drone. Not that they are needed to shoot down a drone hovering near the ship, even farmers are able to shoot tiny DJI drones with rifles. I'm sure they have better sniper type rifles on the NAVY ships

Just two curious things I see repeated that to me, make no sense

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Corbels description on the RADAR video says

* Unknowns were self-illuminated.

However it's not wise to shoot at things that you don't know what they are during a peacetime operation. That's how airliners get accidentally downed.

Alphadunk

"Why don't they shoot at it?"

This question comes up often. Using any sort of ordinance outside of combat is highly controlled. Shooting at an unidentified target outside of combat just isn't something that happens for very obvious reasons. Also, encounters between foreign jets, ships, etc. really aren't uncommon. You can find plenty of videos of Russian jets "buzzing" ships and you can be assured most countries engage in the same sort of theatrics. Not a good idea to shoot at stuff willy nilly.

jackfrostvc

Some more news about that drone base on San Clemente Island I had posted a while ago,

The drone base was built between 2014-2018 (rebuilt old derelict airfield) that's on San Clemente Island is called VC-3

This drone base is used to test among other things -> experimental UAS aircraft ie drones

Notice in the last slide the quadcopters used to support counter UAS training for the fleet

1622818535350.png

1622818737882.png

Source re VC-3
: https://www.dreamlandresort.com/info/san_clemente_aerial.html

Last edited:

Alphadunk

I don't think anyone has ever questioned whether or not San Clemente is used to launch aircraft. Is your contention that the USS Kidd situation can be explained by friendly, yet unidentified for some reason, drones?

jackfrostvc

I don't think anyone has ever questioned whether or not San Clemente is used to launch aircraft. Is your contention that the USS Kidd situation can be explained by friendly, yet unidentified for some reason, drones?

US experimental drones they were testing is a possibility for the drones seen. The other option is foreign drones.

But I think the sightings overall are a little more complex than that. For example the triangle video seems to be bokeh of a commercial airliner
They were also doing training exercises. For example it is now known that on that day of the 14th, the USS Kidd was firing missiles, not that it explains any of the sightings, just that stuff was going on.

Related Articles