Drones reported over Île Longue submarine base, France

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/arti...e_6656098_4408997.html?utm_source=chatgpt.com
External Quote:

[Translated from French]
Five drones were technically detected Thursday evening around 7:30 p.m. [Thursday Dec 4, 2025] over the naval base, which borders the Brest harbor, the gendarmerie announced. A counter-drone and search operation was launched. The marine rifle battalion, which is responsible for protecting the base, carried out several anti-drone strikes, according to the same source.

On Friday evening, the Rennes prosecutor's office informed AFP that no drones had been shot down and that no pilots had been identified. "Therefore, no link to foreign interference has been established ," added Public Prosecutor Frédéric Teillet, specifying that the marines had "used a jammer, not a firearm," against the drones.

The investigation opened by the Rennes public prosecutor's office, which has jurisdiction over military matters, "must, in particular, identify and interview the individuals who made the reports in order to confirm or deny that they are indeed drones" and determine "the type and number of devices ," the prosecutor explained. "It is too early to characterize" the origin of the drones, Mr. Le Rasle added. He did, however, believe that these flights over the submarine base on Île Longue were "intended to alarm the public . "
This has been widely reported as the military "shooting" at drones. But the article makes clear it's just jammers, and they are investigating to see if it was even drones.


ADS-B Exchange Playback Link: ADS-B Exchange

FlightRadar24 Link: FlightRadar24

Google Maps Link: Google Maps
 
More direct:
Article:
Le parquet de Rennes a indiqué à l'AFP qu'"aucun lien avec une ingérence étrangère n'est donc fait", a précisé le procureur Frédéric Teillet, en précisant que les fusiliers marins avaient "procédé à un tir de brouilleur et non pas d'arme à feu".

L'enquête ouverte par le parquet de Rennes, compétent en matière militaire, "doit notamment recenser et entendre les personnes à l'origine des signalements afin de confirmer ou non qu'il s'agit bien de drones" et déterminer "le type et le nombre d'engins", a expliqué le procureur. Il s'agit aussi de préciser s'il y a bien eu plusieurs drones ou un seul drone vu plusieurs fois, a-t-il dit. Selon une source proche du dossier, cinq drones ont été détectés jeudi vers 19h30 au-dessus de la base sous-marine de l'Île Longue.


External Quote:

The Rennes prosecutor's office told AFP that "no link with foreign interference has been made," said prosecutor Frédéric Teillet, specifying that the marine riflemen had "fired a jammer and not a firearm."


The investigation opened by the Rennes prosecutor's office, which has jurisdiction over military matters, "must, in particular, identify and interview the individuals who made the initial reports in order to confirm or deny that these were indeed drones" and determine "the type and number of devices," the prosecutor explained. It is also necessary to clarify whether there were several drones or just one drone seen multiple times, he said. According to a source close to the case, five drones were detected on Thursday around 7:30 p.m. above the Île Longue submarine base.
 
Bunk via headline from The Independent

2025-12-06_09-45-27.jpg
 
Back
Top