User Banner for Verified Expertise? [No]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
@David Coulter brought up an interesting point:

This has become the problem. Stories that quote press releases without any verification. I hope the BBC can work on that; CNN, Sky, Fox, etc certainly don't have an educated science staff to do the job. The problem is that they can't afford a team of scientists that can vet stories. Hopefully metabunk will become a recognized source for the media, but participants need to post their full credentials to be taken seriously (see my profile, my Linkedin info is disclosed).

So I was wondering, for the people who are not anonymous, would it be helpful to have a banner under the user profile, saying what their areas of expertise are? Just a simple thing like "Meteorologist", "Pilot", "Geologist", etc. Like:

I don't really see what's so 'elite' about being a pilot. <which seems to be the bulk of members with 'applicable credentials'. On the other hand, how do you determine 'expertise'?, for ex. you Mick, know as much about atmosphere and clouds as many meteorologists-maybe even more.

Have to disagree Deirdre sorry - quoting qualifications becomes an exercise in argument from authority IMO.

Yeah, and then you'd have people from AE911Truth wanting their badges, and pointing out my lack of "Architect" badge, and hence "winning" an argument.

Negatives outweigh the slight positives of letting people know your background.

Idea nixed!

Yeah, and then you'd have people from AE911Truth wanting their badges, and pointing out my lack of "Architect" badge, and hence "winning" an argument.

Negatives outweigh the slight positives of letting people know your background.

Idea nixed!
I think people's expertise speak clearly and loudly through their opinions on this forum. For a lay person such as myself, I was able to tell immediately this wasn't your typical forum, and even commended Mick and others for their rationale and incredibly informed responses to CT questions or proposals. Having a banner would just invite additional nonsensical criticism.

Interesting concept. Me thinks it could be done on private "Conversations" for those that would like to participate. But in general I agree. It would open a can of worms and accomplish little!!

The latest Mt Shasta talkfest has three pilots giving their opinions.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...40764340182.1073741828.623381344356124&type=1

All of them list their qualifications, which mean nothing when we find that two of them are "former" airline pilots whom I doubt ever flew heavy jets, and the other is a Vietnam era helicopter pilot.

That is the sort of appealing to authority that MB should avoid. The facts presented should speak for themselves.

And besides...people like myself wouldn't have any real qualifications at all except for "rational thinker" maybe.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Content from External Source

Budgies? We don't need no stinkin' budgies!

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 6.57.43 PM.png

All kidding aside, the idea is tempting, but probably would
be abused to such a degree that it would be a net loss
re. quality intercourse.

I wouldnt mind a badge that said "King of the Nerds" but Id probably have to fight the vast majority of the site for that title...

Seriously though, its a good idea but you guys hit the nail on the head.. itd be seen more as waving something in people's faces or automatically put them off/on the defensive, and there's enough of that as is.

Yeah, I really don't think the idea would work.
Facts can speak for themselves as members here ALWAYS post their sources.
It's when a website or forum poster just posts stuff as "Fact" without backing it up, that it becomes obvious they are regurgitating something without really checking or just simply making stuff up.

@David Coulter brought up an interesting point:

So I was wondering, for the people who are not anonymous, would it be helpful to have a banner under the user profile, saying what their areas of expertise are? Just a simple thing like "Meteorologist", "Pilot", "Geologist", etc. Like:

Any member can see my public LinkedIn profile by checking my Metabunk profile. A single word label doesn't really convey a person's level of expertise.

Huh. I've never heard it used that way. I even googled before I posted to make sure there wasn't another definition, but I guess I didn't look hard enough. I stand corrected.

Do you mean discourse? I mean, quality intercourse is cool too, but there are other sites for that. :p
I would've expected Weedwhacker to have beaten you to that one. :)

No, I really did mean intercourse...despite all the filthy minded peoples out there who I anticipated would giggle...

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 11.02.08 AM.png

ETA...D'oh! As I leisurely typed this, Mick slipped in virtually the same thing...

And while we're on the subject of banners, does having senior member, meta member, active, or new member add any weight to the opinions given. Sometimes I feel like participants "assume" senior members are all aligned with Mick and kind of throw everyone into the same category.

And while we're on the subject of banners, does having senior member, meta member, active, or new member add any weight to the opinions given. Sometimes I feel like participants "assume" senior members are all aligned with Mick and kind of throw everyone into the same category.
it just means you talk a lot. ; )

I think at least seeing if a member is new or not is useful. The "New", "Active" and "Senior" and labels are just default with Xenforo. I removed the "meta" designator before because of the negative perceptions. They are all just functions of various things like number of posts and likes.

it just means you talk a lot. ; )
I agree, among us. But to an outsider looking in, they might assume otherwise. I've seen new participants automatically discount opinions based on the fact that they either agreed with Mick or because they are senior members. I can't recount specifics, but I've seen it a few times to be honest with you.

I agree, though, that it's probably not a big deal. Just some minor insight

I've seen new participants automatically discount opinions based on the fact that they either agreed with Mick or because they are senior members
I agree with you. personally, to me it just makes everyone look like old people. :(

When I first joined the site, yes it did effect my perceptions a bit.. but after I was here for a few weeks, reading (read lurking) and figuring out personalities I began to sort the wheat from the chaff... I didnt assign my trust in someone based on the lil tags alone.. I figure out who the hot heads were, who the drama queens were, who the scientifically minded were, who the average joes who were here to read and learn/expand their knowledge (like me) were.

The same would apply to anyone who's here for more than just a drive by Limbaughing (thats stopping by long enough to scream and shout at the top of your lungs how wrong everyone around you is, and then carry on).. Like Deirdre said... the tags just tell you who types a lot.

I figure out who the hot heads were, who the drama queens were, who the scientifically minded were, who the average joes who were here to read and learn/expand their knowledge (like me) were.

Can I please get that info, in chart form...preferably laminated? :D

Can I please get that info, in chart form...preferably laminated? :D
And where would it end, sure there are pilots on here, biologist, physicist, and other PhD type of titles, but what about the bar tenders, truck drivers, and garbage men/women who are here to learn as @Svartbjørn stated. Sometimes there opinions bear as much weight as the analytical opinions of the intellectual "elitist" (lol).

...(thats stopping by long enough to scream and shout at the top of your lungs how wrong everyone around you is, and then carry on)..

I do that a LOT when I drive....I mean, do people NOT have a sense of perspective???

I see people stopped at red lights, they leave TWO car lengths in front of them!!! (Usually, I see them looking down...guessing it's FRIGGIN' cell-phone in their lap!!!).

And where would it end, sure there are pilots on here, biologist, physicist, and other PhD type of titles, but what about the bar tenders, truck drivers, and garbage men/women who are here to learn as @Svartbjørn stated. Sometimes there opinions bear as much weight as the analytical opinions of the intellectual "elitist" (lol).

"Bar tenders"....perhaps some of the SMARTEST people on the planet...(except dolphins, of course).

DOLPHINS:

SORRY if way OT....this was the BEST bit in the movie version of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Last edited:
Normally Id say yes, but it changes nearly daily. I blame it all on @Jason

:p

(J/K Jason)
Very funny! But you're right. I'm still a newbie at this and all I'm trying to do is learn as much as possible. If that makes me go down one road or another in pursuit of that knowledge so be it. I'm not worried about how I'm perceived by others at this point and maybe that's selfish but its honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back