"Unknown force changing cloud's shape" - form the front page of Reddit

MikeC

Closed Account
As you say it is an old video and explanation - however in this "information age" such things keep getting rediscovered anew by people who haven' seen them before and shouted from the rooftops.

Perhaps in 10-15 years this sort of behavior might be no longer acceptable - but until then all that can be done is point out to people that it isn't new, and why didn't they do a bit of research before posting it.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I'm trying to do is make it as easy as possible for people to find an explanation for the regurgitated things like this. But I'm sure I discussed this here, but now I can't find it....

Consensus was that it was like intra-cloud lighting (or some kind of electrical discharge) changing the orientation ice crystals, so sunlight reflected off them differently. [Edit: just like it says in the linked article]

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Reddit has a culture of posting TIL (Today I Learned) things, which are simply interesting old articles. It's old info, but new to them. Sometimes they go viral.

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/

That's why a good pre-emptive debunking can work very well. Things like the "engine ended up behind the car" start out small, but they can explode suddenly.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Rory Claim: A dog in Manchester could sense its owner's return by unknown means UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 20
N 11.10.18 between 19:50- 20:12 o clock unknown luminous phenomenon spotted over nocturnal sky in Germ Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Explained: Unknown Brewing Company UFO UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West NYT: GIMBAL Video of U.S. Navy Jet Encounter with Unknown Object UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 452
Marine0811 Unknown flying insect or object Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 19
inkwell American Airlines Flight 77 Aircraft Accident Package lists no. of Passengers/Fatalies as "Unknown" Conspiracy Theories 3
JFDee Debunked: Sea Creature in New Zealand (Boat Trail on Google Maps) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 9
Whitebeard Explained: Colorado Man Photographs Flying Jellyfish-Like ‘Critters’ [Water on Lens, Caustic Bokeh] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
solrey Debunked: Nexrad "unknown mode" (dutchsinse version) HAARP 2
Agent K Air Force E-11A Communications Aircraft Crashes And Burns In Afghanistan Current Events 7
MikeG Debunked: Air Force Verifies Chemtrails are Real Contrails and Chemtrails 6
cmnit Chemtrailists articles on Las Vegas Tribune (in 2005) Contrails and Chemtrails 5
ssfor27 Debunked: Dover Air Force Base radar "pulse" HAARP 1
jvnk08 Kristen Meghan, former US Air Force whistle-blower? Contrails and Chemtrails 994
Oxymoron U.S. Seeks World Domination Through Mind Control, Abuse of Force and Lies Conspiracy Theories 2
cloudspotter How Changing Weather Conditions Make Contrails Show Up Contrails and Chemtrails 9
skephu Changing Conspiracy Beliefs through Rationality and Ridiculing Practical Debunking 25
Mick West Debunked: "Blue Marble" Photos show a Changing Earth Flat Earth 40
Mick West Debunked: Paramagnetic Paint - Color Changing Cars [Hoax: After Effects Fake] Science and Pseudoscience 13
Mick West Changing server software Site Feedback & News 10
PCWilliams The Conspiracy is Changing? General Discussion 5
Jay Reynolds Moon shape is changing due to Japanese mining? Conspiracy Theories 19
Related Articles

Related Articles