Recent Activity: Removed "Likes", longer snippets

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The "Likes" in the Recent Activity stream did not really serve any purpose, so I removed them. I also made the snippet length there bigger (250 chars, was 140), which means we now have a lot more information in less space.

(Existing "likes" will stay there until they fall off the list).

While testing this, I randomly "liked" a few posting, thinking I was on my test site. So don't read too much into it :)

The like button is still there. It just does not clutter up the "Recent Activity" feed any more. Likes are listed under a post, and you get alerts when someone likes your post (unless you switched that off).

It's still there - it's just the recent activity notification that says 'x liked x's post', he's removed that.
I like liking well-put posts, but sometimes they can distract from an argument - the person on the less 'liked' side of the debate can be focused on the likes rather than the content and feel ganged up on, though it's an irrational response.
It has been used as a criticism before, 'sitting around liking each others posts and not being interested in real debate.' I don't think it's a valid one though.
I just think it's a useful way to say either 'thanks that explained things well for me', or 'I enjoyed the way you put that', without having to spam the thread with unnecessary posts.

Anyway I don't use recent activity, I just do 'new posts'.

I mostly use "like" as an alternative to "I agree", "this!", or "me too!"

But also "thanks!", and "I like this post".

I mostly use "like" as an alternative to "I agree", "this!", or "me too!"

But also "thanks!", and "I like this post".

Meh. You never like anything I say. Still, for some mad reason you made me a Meta member. I'm chuffed, but sometimes I think I should feel undeserving.

When feelings get hurt over likes on the internet, you need to step back and realise it's classic Pavlov conditioning, an addiction to shallow tokens of social acceptance.
(although social acceptance is a big deal I guess)

When feelings get hurt over likes on the internet, you need to step back and realise it's classic Pavlov conditioning, an addiction to shallow tokens of social acceptance.
(although social acceptance is a big deal I guess)

I hope you felt the punny irony of my like and it made you salivate a bit :)

Back