Photos of Clouds and Skies (That you took yourself)

SR1419

Not sure if these are crepuscular rays or just shadows...or even what the difference is...but still pretty cool nonetheless.

IMG_1633.jpeg

Leifer

Possible "hole cloud" noticed over San Francisco bay. (cell shot, 10/2019)
(fallstreak hole)
This hole would be over the (ocean) bay area, and if conditions are right..........
hole_cloud1.jpg

Last edited:

derwoodii

this week evening over Tyabb the long shadows and contrast was lost in my little phone but it reminded me of tune by Shriekback All Lined Up

IMG_20191114_191047.jpg

Trailblazer

Staff member
Pretty patterns yesterday evening. The dots across the top left corner are the remnants of another contrail that had split into vortex rings.

4E78552E-F98C-4741-91E7-4446AFC008BE.jpeg

They drifted off pretty quickly, this is five minutes later:

A1FD3CB7-C0BF-41FB-B6E4-226696620005.jpeg

JMartJr

Not hugely dramatic, but a nice example of low level clouds at sunset already shaded by the Earth,, while higher clouds are still in the sunlight.

Plus gives me a chance to see if, as a new member, I can post a picture correctly.

EDIT to clarify pic is at sunset.

Attachments

Last edited:

JMartJr

While looking for the one time I got pics of anticrepuscular rays, I found a couple of other good pics that are on topic -- what I am thinking are mammatus clouds, and what seems to be a shadow cast by some out-of-sight cloud across the rest of the cloudscape at sunset. And then I found the rays, too. And that's it for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
A nice example of a "dark line" contrails and distrails. This is the first contrail pic with my new camera - a Canon A6400, which has quite a nice dynamic range in the raw images. Boosted.

Metabunk 2020-01-19 05-13-38.jpg