Omega loop contrail over Toronto: Veni Vidi Volavi?.. [Likely Bombardier Test Flight from Montreal]

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
These flickr photos of an unusually shaped contrail were taken on 14-May-2015 in Hamilton, Ontario:
and University of Toronto:
The time of the latter, 13:23, is probably EDT (17:23 UTC), whereas the time of the former, 12:56 is probably EST (17:56 UTC).
A partial contrail loop is also seen above Lake Ontario in the Aqua satellite image taken at 17:40 UTC:

FR24 playback from 17:10 UTC shows that there was indeed a plane making such a turn at 43,000 ft above the area at about 17:20 UTC:
Screen shot 2015-05-15 at 23.17.05.png

This was a Bombardier Global 6000, but, unfortunately, there is no tail number or other ID shown on FR24. Having originated in Montreal, the flight followed a rather odd path and returned back to the origin:
Screen shot 2015-05-15 at 23.04.43.png
The purpose of this flight remains a mystery to me. Perhaps, somebody can shed light to it. I wonder if this contrail was noticed by others and discussed on fora or social networks.

UPDATE: It probably was a test flight, see the comments below. There is another picture of the contrail loop taken in North York, Toronto at about the same time as the Aqua satellite image:

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Likely a test flight from the Mirabel Aerospace Center where Bombardiers are tested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirabel_Aerospace_Centre
Although it did actually do a round trip from YUL (Montreal International), Mirabel is very close.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Although I agree with the most likely explanation of this round trip flight being a manufacturer's test flight, its track seems rather unusual. I tracked analogous test flights before, they usually did rounds not far from their origins. Of course, in a big country, like Canada, there are less geographical constraints for the flight going far to the wilderness and back, but was there a reason for climbing up above the regular air traffic and making a turn over the big city? Was it a salute to its birthplace or a promotion of chemtrail narrative?

Well, the contrail loop was noted by local chemmies and its photo was posted in Toronto Chemtrails FB page:

Sadly, there was no discussion of this observation that could bring more photos.
I must say that I'm rather disappointed by not finding many pictures of this contrail, as at this altitude it ought to be seen from afar. Yet so far, I found only three photos on flickr (in OP) and one on FB :(

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Although I agree with the most likely explanation of this round trip flight being a manufacturer's test flight, its track seems rather unusual. I tracked analogous test flights before, they usually did rounds not far from their origins. Of course, in a big country, like Canada, there are less geographical constraints for the flight going far to the wilderness and back, but was there a reason for climbing up above the regular air traffic and making a turn over the big city? Was it a salute to its birthplace or a promotion of chemtrail narrative?
Here's another YUL-YUL flight on May 14, which went a similar distance, but in the other direction
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CDR687/history/20150514/1300Z/CYUL/CYUL

Attachments

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Here's another YUL-YUL flight on May 14, which went a similar distance, but in the other direction
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CDR687/history/20150514/1300Z/CYUL/CYUL
Yes, but this was a Challenger flying from its nest, whereas a GLEX is a "cuckoo" at the Bombardier factory in YUL. Its track is here (note the flight ID BBA37):
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BBA37/history/20150514/1330Z/CYUL/CYUL
Screen shot 2015-05-16 at 16.34.29.png
I've checked BBA37 flight history (it is done by several different aircraft), the large trapeze loop is a routine track, whereas the detour to Toronto is probably a diversion.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The Global Express is manufactured in Toronto, maybe this was some kind of celebratory flyover. They flew directly over Toronto international. The Global Express factory is at Downsview, nine miles to the East.

Sagittarius

Having lived for many years in Hamilton, I'd agree with you that the loop extending southwards over Lake Ontario towards Hamilton in your satellite image above is the same as the one in the street view at the top of the thread. Judging by the shadows and the smoke plume (from the steel mills), the photo was taken looking north. (If that's any help at all! :D)

TEEJ

Senior Member.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
GLEX … track is here (note the flight ID BBA37):
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BBA37/history/20150514/1330Z/CYUL/CYUL
View attachment 12886
I've checked BBA37 flight history (it is done by several different aircraft), the large trapeze loop is a routine track, whereas the detour to Toronto is probably a diversion.
Interestingly, there is a large difference between the flown and planned distances: Planned: 1,692 sm; Flown: 2,115 sm. The Toronto diversion was not planned, as revealed by switching off the Flown Route in the above flightaware link.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Having lived for many years in Hamilton, I'd agree with you that the loop extending southwards over Lake Ontario towards Hamilton in your satellite image above is the same as the one in the street view at the top of the thread. Judging by the shadows and the smoke plume (from the steel mills), the photo was taken looking north. (If that's any help at all! :D)
I think that the photo was taken looking northeast, judging by its time and the lamppost shadows. This can be verified by finding that particular location on Google StreetView, but there is no need for that. The track from Flightaware matches the contrail in the satellite image by size and shape, but the latter is off by 30 km (20 miles) to the East of South:
Track&trail.jpg
This offset can be explained by the wind, as the turn was completed 15-20 minutes before the satellite photo (it was the Aqua satellite, not Terra, as I mistakenly put in the OP initially). In contrast, the University of Toronto photo was taken at the time of the turn formation, so the track matches the contrail in it well:
Toronto_contrail.jpg

deirdre

Senior Member.
I must say that I'm rather disappointed by not finding many pictures of this contrail, as at this altitude it ought to be seen from afar
yea but if thats a fairly regular thing, the people who live there are used to it most likely. it wouldnt even occur to me to take a pic of a plane turning around, even though ive never seen that over me. the second pic in your OP i might take as the wispy rib cloud is pretty.

TEEJ

Senior Member.
C-GZDY from Plane Finder.

upload_2015-5-17_11-59-9.png

An aviation enthusiast/photographer, Bill Fawcett, photographed C-GZDY landing back at its operating base in the Montreal area on 14th May 2015.

upload_2015-5-17_12-3-50.png

https://www.flickr.com/groups/yul/

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
yea but if thats a fairly regular thing, the people who live there are used to it most likely. it wouldnt even occur to me to take a pic of a plane turning around, even though ive never seen that over me. the second pic in your OP i might take as the wispy rib cloud is pretty.
I do not think that was a fairly regular thing. The detour and flyover were not a part of a regular test route, although there were different excursion from this route previously (KMZ files with the selected flight tracks is attached):
BBA37 tracks.jpg
On February 3, 2015, the same plane flew over Toronto but turned directly to Montreal.

I think that the photos are few because the contrail loop was too big to fit into a single frame, when filmed from Toronto itself. The chemtrail activists, who know that "this cannot be from a commercial plane" took videos instead. One was clearly in a hurry to capture it (the second youtube video in the first @TEEJ post above). Interestingly, he managed to fit the entire loop into the frame. This was because he was filming from Alliston Wallmart, some 35 miles to the north of the Toronto Airport (the centre of the loop):
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 14.51.28.png
Alliston_view.jpg
As the video were taken at the time of the turn formation, the trail matches the flight track well.

Attachments

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
As the video were taken at the time of the turn formation, the trail matches the flight track well
i only half understand what youre saying :) but that second pic of the vid from the bottom of your post is a nice shot of how as the planes get further away the trail is closer to the horizon.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
i only half understand what youre saying :) but that second pic of the vid from the bottom of your post is a nice shot of how as the planes get further away the trail is closer to the horizon.
What I meant is little time lapsed since the contrail loop was formed, so it was not blown far away from the track by the wind:)

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
the second pic in your OP i might take as the wispy rib cloud is pretty.
It looks pretty because that photo was enhanced. I found another photo of the same contrail loop taken from a nearby location at about the same time. it looks dull and was taken mainly because the photographer spotted something within and then outside the loop:

http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/circular-jet-pattern-on-may-14-2015-ufo-1#slide=2

Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.

Looks exactly like a bird would look like at that resolution.
From other images, I would tentatively identify it as a crow;)
Anyway, no similar objects appear within or near the contrail loop in other images taken at about the same time but from different locations. This means the object almost certainly was much lower than the trail.

Santa's sidekick

yea but if thats a fairly regular thing, the people who live there are used to it most likely. it wouldnt even occur to me to take a pic of a plane turning around, even though ive never seen that over me.
It's not a regular thing - I lived in Toronto (North York) until I was seventeen and would often lay on a grassy knoll and watch the sky, but cannot recall ever seeing an aircraft do that.

Efftup

Senior Member.
Sadly, neither Chrétien nor Harper ever drove by. :mad:

:)
They flew over your head you idiot!!! you had the wrong weapon.

Seriously though, I think it's great that the technology exists for normal people to track stuff like this. But makers have to test their stuff somewhere and any trails they make will be visible for up to 200 miles away.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Leifer Posting a YouTube loop ? Site Feedback & News 13
SR1419 Water Vapor loop Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
JFDee Research: Consequences of Travel Shutdown for Contrail Coverage Contrails and Chemtrails 1
TEEJ Sunlit contrail, Cambridgeshire, UK causing media flap 15th April 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Curt Collins UFO: Contrail over Canada? Jackhead, Manitoba UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 32
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Sunset Contrail "UFO" over Denver, Nov 23 2018 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
C Explanation Strange contrail like structures over English Bay, Vancouver 8:30 PM Aug 5 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Cut off contrail at sunrise with Corona Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Illusion of Contrail Asymmetry from Flying perpendicular to the Sun Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
JFDee Falcon Heavy First Launch - Vertical Rocket Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Mick West Late Distrail and Later Contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Tracking the Contrail of ANA173 with GOES-16 Images Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Mick West Zigzag contrail on Terra Image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
StarGazer SpaceX Falcon 9 Captures Video of its own Contrail from Space UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
B Black line in sky seen from plane (contrail?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailblazer Contrail videos on social media Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Rocket Contrail, South of Monterey, California [ Trident II Test] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Zooming in on a Sunset Contrail "UFO" Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailspotter Where did the third trail go? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Explained: Exmouth UFO Flying Saucer - Sunlit Contrail and Motion Blur Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 70
Mick West Double "Black Beam" Contrail Edge Shadow over Mt Shasta Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Black and White Contrail - Above or Below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 10
steve holmes Why only one contrail today? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West A Sunlit Contrail Viewed From the Side Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Relative Humidity at Flight Altitudes. Resources and Contrail prediction. Contrails and Chemtrails 11
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West What's the Highest Contrail You've Taken a Photo Of? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Trailspotter Helicopter aerodynamic dashed linear contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
cloudspotter Unusual Contrail Off Norway Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 15
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
TEEJ Claim that Airliners are at risk of collision - Northern Ireland, 9th July 2016 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West A Faint Asymmetric Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
JFDee Exemplary contrail shadow over Montreal Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Trailblazer Explained: Contrail Cross in Florida, June 2 2016 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Trailblazer 2012 Western Australia "meteor" identified? (contrail) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West A Dark Contrail near Salt Lake Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Inti Presenting the good stuff in Metabunk and Contrail Science in a different way? Practical Debunking 6
AumuA Transit of Mercury, with contrail. Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West NASA502 GLF3 Earthquake Survey Plane leaves giant curving contrails again Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Marin B contrail or long skinny cirrus? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Related Articles

Related Articles