Metabunk Flat Earth Route Simulator

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
20170507-181006-wrhy8.jpg

https://www.metabunk.org/flat/

I wrote a flat vs. globe route simulator over the weekend. It shows the shortest route between two points on a globe, a flat earth, and an standard map. The lengths of each route are calculated for the globe and the flat earth.

(Note: does not work on mobile devices, works best with Chrome)

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of projection are you calling "standard"? Mercator? What does that route mean, if anything?

It's equirectangular, it's the map you see there.

The route shown by the yellow line is similar to a rhumb line course, which is a reasonable route for short distance navigation. You just follow a fixed compass heading. It's longer than a great circle, but the great circle route needs constant changes to compass heading.

A straight line on a Mercator map is a true rhumb line, but you can't get the whole world onto a Mercator map.
905px-Mercator_projection_SW.jpg

The Mercator map is essentially evidence of the globularity of the world, as if the world were flat the map would shrink at the bottom, and not expand.

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This page has good explanations and illustrations of the differences between a rhumb line on a Mercator vs. equirectangular (same as Equidistant cylindrical) maps.
http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Normal/CartProp/Rhumb/rhumb.html20170508-172639-hw9qr.jpg
20170508-172704-bhpvf.jpg
(Note there's 5° missing off the top and bottom of this mercator projection)

True Rhumb lines might be a good addition to the simulator at some point. But I'm done programming for a while.

Last edited:

Steve Ross

View attachment 26684

https://www.metabunk.org/flat/

I wrote a flat vs. globe route simulator over the weekend. It shows the shortest route between two points on a globe, a flat earth, and an standard map. The lengths of each route are calculated for the globe and the flat earth.

(Note: does not work on mobile devices, works best with Chrome)
Hi Mike
I tried opening the program on my PC. I have Chrome. Only the screen of the example opens and i cannot access it. Please assist.

Rory

Senior Member.
Tried for first time today, using Chrome, but doesn't seem to work. Only things that responds to clicking was the sphere in the lower right, which will turn, and move up and down with arrow keys (couldn't scroll the text down, for example).

deirdre

Senior Member.
Tried for first time today, using Chrome, but doesn't seem to work. Only things that responds to clicking was the sphere in the lower right, which will turn, and move up and down with arrow keys (couldn't scroll the text down, for example).
i had to open my window big enough to see all the text. Did you try grabbing the ends of the lines on the flat map?

it's working ok for me.
3-25-2018 10-40-10 AM.png

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It's certainly messed up a bit with some changes to Chrome, but it still works dragging the very ends of the lines. I put this in the appropriate thread:
Metabunk 2018-03-25 07-55-05.jpg

(Note the white sections of the actual route are just straight lines joining the ends of available data, green is actual positions)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I've updated it to be a bit more forgiving when clicking on things. Also patched the issue with retina displays. And turned off the yellow line by default to simplify things.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible that it's a PC-chrome thing? Still doesn't seem to work on mine.
It works on a fairly clean Windows 10 with a fresh install of Chrome. So possibly a conflict with a plugin.
Try the developer tools/Console, see if there's an error message.
Metabunk 2018-03-26 13-21-05.jpg

Rory

Senior Member.
Developer tools gives me the same output as you show in your window. Incognito window reveals the full text (can't scroll to the bottom in normal window).

Both still not quite working though. Lines disappear and it's hard to find the ends.

(Running Windows 10 on an i3 Acer s3.)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Developer tools gives me the same output as you show in your window. Incognito window reveals the full text (can't scroll to the bottom in normal window).

Both still not quite working though. Lines disappear and it's hard to find the ends.

(Running Windows 10 on an i3 Acer s3.)

I suspect it's a WebGL issue with your graphics card. Unfortunately hard to troubleshoot.

alarmour

It's certainly messed up a bit with some changes to Chrome, but it still works dragging the very ends of the lines. I put this in the appropriate thread:
View attachment 32404

(Note the white sections of the actual route are just straight lines joining the ends of available data, green is actual positions)
I think you mean QF9 or QF10 (depending on direction) - QF8 is DFW-SYD.

BTW - As another data point - the pages is working correctly on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS/Chromium 65.0.3325.181

A better flight to demonstrate the totally unrealistic nature of Southern Hemisphere flights on a FE model is QF63/64 between SYD and JNB...

upload_2018-4-4_22-43-51.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Metabunk 2.0 Site Feedback & News 34
A How to use the refraction approximation in the metabunk curve calculator Flat Earth 0
Mick West Tales From the Rabbit Hole - A Mick West / Metabunk Podcast Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 20
Mick West I'm displaying ads for ETRH on Metabunk Site Feedback & News 8
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
Inti Presenting the good stuff in Metabunk and Contrail Science in a different way? Practical Debunking 6
MikeC Metabunk linked from Cracked.com article on "Truthers" Sandy Hook 2
Mick West Metabunk is Five Years Old Site Feedback & News 15
Libertarian Monetizing Metabunk? Site Feedback & News 22
Mick West The Linode/Metabunk Power Outage Site Feedback & News 5
Critical Thinker How to search for an image on Metabunk (and other websites) How To 9
Mick West Metabunk is Four Years Old Site Feedback & News 16
Sine metu Metabunk is my new rabbit hole Escaping The Rabbit Hole 12
Mick West Metabunk is Three Years Old Site Feedback & News 6
MikeC Has Trolling Increased, here on Metabunk? Site Feedback & News 11
Clock The members of Metabunk are a "Disinformation Group" General Discussion 18
Mick West How to Post an Image on Metabunk How To 5
Mick West About Metabunk Site Feedback & News 0
Mick West Metabunk facebook page Site Feedback & News 6
Mick West Do you want to be a moderator on Metabunk? Site Feedback & News 26
Clock List of 9/11 threads on Metabunk General Discussion 0
Mick West Metabunk is now on ForumRunner for iPhone, iPad and Android Site Feedback & News 0
Mick West Is Metabunk slow for you Site Feedback & News 8
Mick West Contrail Science and Metabunk on the Critical Wit Podcast General Discussion 0
J Claim sun paths prove flat earth Flat Earth 41
J Are sun shadows only possible on a flat earth? Flat Earth 5
Mick West Flat Earth and Refraction with Oil Platforms Hillhouse and Habitat Flat Earth 5
Code-Beta 300 miles visibility on Antartica? Flat Earth 2
H Illusions of Curvature - RC Boat Hidden on Small Pond Flat Earth 10
M Bornong Flat Earth vs Oblate Spheroid: Earthquakes Flat Earth 3
Jesse3959 FE Claim Debunked: JTolan Epic Gravity Experiment - Flat earther disproves Perspective! (or his instruments.) Flat Earth 0
Bunkmeister Cosmonaut Miroslaw Hermaczewski allegedly says earth is flat - [joke] Flat Earth 10
Mick West TFTRH #29 - Geoff: Everything is a Hoax, The Earth Might Be Flat Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
Cassi O Google Maps Measure Distance Using Great Circle Flat Earth 0
Mick West TFTRH #14: Rory – Flat Earth Debunking and Spiritual Journeys Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 6
Wiggles Refraction Variations Over Water to Bell Island Flat Earth 27
Mick West TFTRH #8 - Sasha: Chatting with a Flat Earther Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 66
Wiggles I could have spiralled into flat earth belief. Escaping The Rabbit Hole 36
Mick West Demonstrating the Curve of the Earth with observations of Beachy Head from Worthing Flat Earth 38
Mick West Debunked: Neil deGrasse Tyson : "That Stuff is Flat" Flat Earth 10
Qulaey Explained: 17.61 Mile Mirror Flash Supposedly Proves Flat Earth [Refraction] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Why Flat Earth Laser Tests are Misleading Flat Earth 13
Rory Calculator for viewing angles Tools for Investigating and Debunking 12
Rory Claim: footage of Great South Bay Bridge supports flat earth Flat Earth 11
Rory How can we explain perspective calculations simply? Flat Earth 39
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
Mendel Debunked: Air Map of the World 1945 is a flat Earth map Flat Earth 0
T Observations of a Wind Farm Over the Curve of The Earth Flat Earth 0
Mendel Homemade Gyrocompass finds North by Spin Flat Earth 0
brad fuller Does the inverse-square law apply to the flat-earth debunking tool chest? Flat Earth 4
Related Articles

Related Articles