Hi Everyone

SquillagusNiggle

Hi!

I have finally given in and opened a metabunk account.

I've engaged with the Flat Earth crowd for a good while, mostly on YouTube; I've often found this forum to be a good source of supplementary understanding when faced with their overwhelming consternation and self-absorption.

I am an amateur astrophotographer, and got into this whole thing by 'defending' various astronomy videos from self-styled 'truth seekers' calling everything scientific a grand conspiracy.

Occasionally I post my (very small) public gallery of astrophotos when one of them is telling me that galaxies and nebulae don't exist, that they are all CGI and we are living under a dome of glass and the stars are just 'little lights'.

One particularly tragic individual responded with, "I don't need to answer, those pics say it all". I asked him what they said.... but he mysteriously abandoned the thread.

I may lurk about a bit, I'll try not to break any forum rules too badly.

Cheers,

~Sq

PS - as the posting guidelines say I have to back up my claims with links, here you go: http://www.astrobin.com/users/Stratis/ ;)

Welcome Squillarus.

I Like your Pics, especially the rosette nebulae.
Astrophotography would be very interesting, I just never got around buying a telescope. (so expensive..)

One particularly tragic individual responded with, "I don't need to answer, those pics say it all". I asked him what they said.... but he mysteriously abandoned the thread.
Yepp, thats about the normal behaviour of most of the CT people.

Astrophotography would be very interesting, I just never got around buying a telescope. (so expensive..)
I won't lie, it's an expensive hobby... my imaging setup cost me about £5k, and that is a fraction of what it should have cost if I hadn't gotten very lucky with some eBay items...

I won't lie, it's an expensive hobby... my imaging setup cost me about £5k, and that is a fraction of what it should have cost if I hadn't gotten very lucky with some eBay items...

Well my camera-gear already cost about a third of that(not counting all the lenses) >.<
and a telesope wouldn't be the only thing i'd need to get.. I guess I'll stay with landscape photography for a while ^^

Well my camera-gear already cost about a third of that(not counting all the lenses) >.<
and a telesope wouldn't be the only thing i'd need to get.. I guess I'll stay with landscape photography for a while ^^
Ah well if you have a DSLR you have a head start... a cheap little apochromat (Altair Astro ED72-R would be ideal) and a small equatorial mount (ZEQ-25) would be a very cheap way to get there, but you will need to master the science of autoguiding to really get good results. A tiny little 50mm guidescope and SX Lodestar guider and you'd be set :)

Alternatively, get an AstroTrac, and do pretty damn good astrophotography with all your existing equipment and expertise :D

Hey thanks for this info :) getting an image what really would be needed is a good thing. But as I don't have a few thousends to spare right now, i'm gonna bookmark AstroTrac. Might be an more feasable approach for some first steps.

Back