Help debunking local UFO claim

dianadawson

Long-time lurker, first time posting. My hometown's local Facebook group is blowing up with speculation about a cellphone photo of a rainbow that also shows some kind of optical illusion -- a couple of hovering "objects" that repeat twice, in smaller form above the originals, appearing to get smaller in the distance. I would love to be able to tell them definitively what the spots are; barring that, it would be helpful to explain the general type of illusion. I'm sure there's a term for it in the field of optics, but I lack the vocabulary for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Unexplained visual aberration.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea that they're "repeating" could just be a coincidence, given that the angles between them are quite different:

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Specks on a windshield?

The idea that they're "repeating" could just be a coincidence, given that the angles between them are quite different:

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Specks on a windshield?
Yes, that sounds likely to me. Or perhaps raindrops.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-234942-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20211029-234942-01.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 158

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Specks on a windshield?
im wondering if each "set" only 1 thing (like on the right) and the other thing (on the left) is a double pane window deal. but im not sure what happens to reflections depending on what angle you are to the double pane.

Follow the pattern up to the very top of the image, they repeat a third time barely in frame.

Edit... which may be what they mean by "repeats twice," but there are three pairs of specks...

dianadawson, is there any additional info from whoever took the pic? Did they notice the "objects" when they took the picture? Did they do anything, or just hang there? Any detail could help.

Back