• MH370 speculation has become excessive recently. Metabunk is not a forum for creating theories by speculation. It's a forum for examining claims, and seeing if they hold up. Please respect this and keep threads on-topic. There are many other forums where speculation is welcome.

Great News: Now We are Back to Square One

zebra100

According to CNN: "Authorities now almost universally believe the pings did not come from the onboard data or cockpit voice recorders, but instead came from some other man-made source unrelated to the jetliner that disappeared on March 8, according to Michael Dean, the Navy's deputy director of ocean engineering."
Details see here.

So that means the only possible physical evidence to support the Inmarsat theory to physically put MH370 in the South India Ocean is gone. It was certainly suspicious in the first place that Inmarsat got the theory and the searchers got the pings in the area with even some third party's manipulation.

Now what? Apart from Inmarsat's raw data which are not that "raw", we have nothing. What we need is to reconsider every legitimate possibility of theories and eye witness accounts being dismissed to verify them again.

According to CNN: "Authorities now almost universally believe the pings did not come from the onboard data or cockpit voice recorders, but instead came from some other man-made source unrelated to the jetliner that disappeared on March 8, according to Michael Dean, the Navy's deputy director of ocean engineering."
Details see here.

So that means the only possible physical evidence to support the Inmarsat theory to physically put MH370 in the South India Ocean is gone. It was certainly suspicious in the first place that Inmarsat got the theory and the searchers got the pings in the area with even some third party's manipulation.

Now what? Apart from Inmarsat's raw data which are not that "raw", we have nothing. What we need is to reconsider every legitimate possibility of theories and eye witness accounts being dismissed to verify them again.
I read somewhere a few days ago this very thing and posted it under MH370 Speculation. Apparently, the megahertz wasn't right either, it was something like 37.5, and not the 33htz they were looking for. They seem to be putting the blame on the Australian PM for announcing the find before they had a chance to review the data. I think they are making a case that the pings they heard most likely came from an whale that was tagged, which lends credence to why they heard the pings so far apart. There was even speculation that the currents might have dragged the black box to explain why they heard the pings some 300 miles apart.

They seem to be putting the blame on the Australian PM for announcing the find before they had a chance to review the data.
Good, he is the most odious toad we've been dumb enough to give power to. Hopefully he's about to be overthrown by his own party members.

This sounds REALLY bad, but its nice to see that other countries have political leaders that are as dumb as the ones here in the US... and kind of scary too.

One person's statement does not back to the beginning make

A US Navy spokesman has dismissed as "speculative and premature" an American expert's reported comments that the acoustic "pings" at the centre of the search for the missing Malaysian plane did not come from the jet's black boxes
Content from External Source
- article

Wouldn't they have known it was the wrong acoustic signature right from the get go? I mean there is a clear distinction between 33 and 37.5 and the fact that the pings were heard 300 miles apart should've given them a clue that it was mostly likely a marine mammal. Why Prime Minister would go on the media with the wrong information in such an important search and rescue is still giving me pause. Obviously a PM doesn't just get a phone call in the middle of the night. His cabinet is advised of the situation and they debate the proper way to bring this information to light, but before doing so in such a tragedy they probably use caution and fact check their information first, at least you would think they would. So i'm a little lost, are they searching this area or searched this area solely on the basis of the pings heard, or because of the Inmarsat data?

I'm still sort of sure they had absolutely ruled out dolphin or whale tag signals, now they seem to be back on the table?
I think the discrepancy in frequency was given leeway because of likely underwater distortions and fluctuating power levels, but I don't know exactly what a difference of 4 htz actually makes, if it's a big change or relatively small.

Well that's kind of the impression I had, as all anti-ping reports were from 'anonymous experts' with no definitive proof against the pings, just dissatisfaction with the verification process.

(that quote doesn't appear to be at that link, or am I only getting half the article?)

Now they said the "pings" might come from whales or other ocean mammals-but I first read that the frequency set at 37.5 khz was deliberately to avoid the voice spectrum of any ocean mammals and the recordings showed that it came with that one second intervals which were very unlikely from mammals. It's more likely from a human invented source-either ocean animal satellite tracking devices or vessels there. Also I am bewildered that the Chinese team first found the pings about 400 miles away and the personnel used the ping detector provided by the manufacturer and I knew for fact the guys from that group had use the same equipment and the pings to locate a downed helicopter in Yangtze River in China-other words, they are very experienced and the first guy listened for more than 200 pings before sure and gave to others to confirm--though they didn't record the pings. And no one followed on that clue yet. It seemed to me that somebody deliberately put some pings in the area.

It seemed to me that somebody deliberately put some pings in the area.
Why do you or who do you suspect of doing such a thing? If you're going to propose that someone deliberately put pings in the area to throw off the search and rescue of 239 people, you have to give us more, ie; who and what was the motivation for doing such a thing. I'll admit the whole thing seems a bit fishy, but incompetence could be the culprit.

Certainly there are some CTs. If everything was deliberately planned, there was a possibility that some one could fake the whole thing-- even faked the inmarsat pings-- what I am saying some one was one step ahead of all the us--that's still a possibility. Sure there would be big money and purpose involved, but it's possible.

Certainly there are some CTs. If everything was deliberately planned, there was a possibility that some one could fake the whole thing-- even faked the inmarsat pings-- what I am saying some one was one step ahead of all the us--that's still a possibility. Sure there would be big money and purpose involved, but it's possible.
This isn't a conspiracy theory forum it's a debunking forum so you can't come up with crackpot theories like that with the only explanation of them as "it's possible." Anything is possible. There's no evidence that anybody dropped a pinging device in the ocean. That's ludicrous. I also don't know where the notion that the pings came from an animal originated from. In the actual report, they attribute the pings to the Navy ship that was in the area. "Our best theory at this point is that (the pings were) likely some sound produced by the ship ... or within the electronics of the Towed Pinger Locator," Mr Dean told CNN on Wednesday.

I also don't know where the notion that the pings came from an animal originated from
It's been planted as a possibility, eg. this paragraph inserted in a story about the pings (which doesn't actually make any real statement, but it's inclusion is very leading)...

Dolphins can produce echolocation signals of anywhere between 0.2kHz and 150kHz to obtain sonic information about their environment.

Experts say dolphins' lower frequency vocalizations (between about 0.2 and 50kHz) are likely used in social communication while higher frequency clicks (40 to 150 kHz) are primarily used for spacial awareness.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ost-tracking-prevent-flight-disappearing.html
and this video inlcuded in a malaysian story about the pings.
http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=288071:crucial-pings-not-from-mh370’-scientists-abbott-and-najib-were-playing-politics&Itemid=2

Deliberate wild-goose chase: Pings most likely came from whales?

But it seems that's not really a theory anyone really agrees with, it's just been a bit irresponsibly suggested. None of the criticism actually suggests they are wildlife related, now that I read things more closely.

Back