Flight Magazine- Source of Aviation history

Jay Reynolds

Senior Member.
Anyone interested in aviation history, including photos, might find this magazine archive of interest:
The Flightglobal Archive invites you to explore 100 years of aviation history as it appeared in the original pages of Flight Magazine from 1909-2005.
•Every issue of Flight Magazine published between 1909-2005, digitally scanned and fully searchable
•Thumbnail browser interface allowing for rapid issue viewing
•Save and print your favourite articles
•Topic pages, plus unique archive photo and cutaway galleries
•100% FREE ACCESS – forever. In fact we’re positively encouraging you to link to, copy and paste from, and contribute to the development of this unique record of aerospace and aviation history

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

I ran across this description of contrail shadows:
View attachment 668

looks like I duplicated this thread, feel free to delete, Mick.

I see some of the articles from the 40's showed people struggling to explain what condensation and vortex trails were caused by. Most got it about right, and I'm sure that there was concern among the warring parties about revealing secrets which might give the other an edge. There could have even been disinformation from either side during the war. Eventually, the subject got covered and became part of scientific knowledge.

Here is one discussing Arctic flights in 1944, they seem to understand it:

Flight 1944 582.jpg

Flight also often uses the term "vapour trails" (note the spelling) for contrails, especially for articles in and before WW2.

And congratulations to R.G. Bull for what must surely be the earliest example of two of the chemtrailers' claims: trails being switched off artificially, and unnatural refraction!

upload_2016-1-12_18-42-21.png

upload_2016-1-12_18-45-29.png

Back