Email Changes

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
In order to make email delivery faster and more reliable, I've switched over to the Amazon SES service. This should make email less likely to be marked as spam, especially important for people registering and needing to confirm email addresses.

Of course it's always possible I've done something wrong, so if your were getting email notifications before, and it suddenly stops, or ends up in the spam folder, then please let me know.

Well, Amazon SES proved to not be 100% compatible with Xenforo (or vice versa), so I've switched to a different method, hopefully not breaking anything.

Ignore the above two posts. I just needed to have the robot make some posts so he would not be marked as inactive.

Hey @Mick West I ran into this post while trying to figure out the best way to fix my email-to-spam problem. Can you possibly shed some light on how I can fix this? My site is going to start getting some traffic soon and all my registration/verification emails are getting spammed. Thanks.

I ended up using a local mail server, as per:
https://library.linode.com/email/postfix/postfix2.9.6-dovecot2.0.19-mysql

I also set up an SPF record. Which works for gmail recepients

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of noreply@metabunk.org designates 173.255.252.84 as permitted sender)
Content from External Source
However I'm still getting people telling me the registration emails are not going through. So I might give SES another go, or at least look into other tweaks.

I'm giving SES another go, as I've continued to have problems with Hotmail emails being marked as spam.

Unfortunately I can't remember what was wrong with SES before, so I might discover it all over again.

And actually, after reading a bit about what other Xenforo users user, I'm going to try Mandrill.

Let me know if you can't figure it out and I'll fix it for you.
I don't really understand my choices here. I want to see them to the right of my screen and in Alerts just not receive email.

m.JPG

I keep saying I should click the don't receive email to this thread on my actual emails but at this point I get so many I just delete them en masse.

I don't really understand my choices here. I want to see them to the right of my screen and in Alerts just not receive email.

m.JPG

I keep saying I should click the don't receive email to this thread on my actual emails but at this point I get so many I just delete them en masse.

That's the ignore forum dialog, different thing.

I'll adjust it so you don't get any emails except SH.

And actually, after reading a bit about what other Xenforo users user, I'm going to try Mandrill.

So I've been running Mandrill for four days, and it's working wonderfully. Easy spf and dkim, proper return paths, and free for 12,000 emails per month. Should all be a lot more reliable than the previous system.

Back