Does DNA emit light

Ogmion

I am interested to know if anyone has looked at this:

http://www.viewzone.com/dnax.html light emiting from DNA

Looks quite involved with scientific research and I have myself seen light coming out of people's hands and their bodies when other people present say they cannot see anything. Is it possible this 'light' is not in the normal visible spectrum but some people can see it?

I am new to this forum and would say there appears to be a tendency to claim a debunk based upon failing to find papers written in English that support theories that are being pursued in former Russian Federation States often by State funded organisations. This is not a valid reason to debunk because the system that operates there does not share technology or science based papers with the West. They often want comment but dont want to give us information that can give other scientists the edge. A debunk therefore must produce Western investigative negative experiments that prove the case wrong in order to have a true evaluation. I know some people will not like this but it simply is not good enough to say I cant find any documented papers to debunk what is stated as evidence from Russia and published on the web.

I know how the Russian etc work and hence publication only comes at conclusion and when the patents are in position - until then you might get clues but you wont get the whole picture.

Dont get me wrong but I am sceptical of claims that cannot be supported but also understand the evidence of my own eyes. A debunk is not concluded by a lack of published evidence but by checking the claim in a scientific manner. Comments please

regards

Ogmion.

I am new to this forum and would say there appears to be a tendency to claim a debunk based upon failing to find papers written in English that support theories that are being pursued in former Russian Federation States often by State funded organisations.
Really, a tendency? Name five.
(or two)

I have myself seen light coming out of people's hands and their bodies when other people present say they cannot see anything. Is it possible this 'light' is not in the normal visible spectrum but some people can see it?
There is a condition where some people can see UV wavelengths.

Aphakia is the absence of the lens of the eye, due to surgical removal, aperforating wound or ulcer, or congenital anomaly. It causes a loss ofaccommodation, far sightedness (hyperopia), and a deep anterior chamber. Complications include detachment of the vitreous or retina, and glaucoma.

Aphakic people are reported to be able to see ultraviolet wavelengths (400–300 nm) that are normally excluded by the lens.[1] They perceive this light as whitish blue or whitish violet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphakia
Content from External Source
I am interested to know if anyone has looked at this:

http://www.viewzone.com/dnax.html light emiting from DNA

Sounds very sketchy and dubious.

Pjotr Garjajev, had managed to intercept communication from a DNA molecule in the form of ultraviolet photons -- light! What's more, he claimed to have captured this communication from one organism (a frog embryo) with a laser beam and then transmitted it to another organisms DNA (a salamander embryo), causing the latter embryo to develop into a frog!

But this was just the beginning.

Dr. Garjajev claims that this communication is not something that happens only inside the individual cells or between one cell and another. He claims organisms use this "light" to "talk" to other organisms and suggested that this could explain telepathy and ESP. It was like human beings already had their own wireless internet based on our DNA. Wow!
Slightly more credible sounding and interesting below that, but I'm not really qualified to know.

Popp chose to work specifically with UV light because of the experiments of a Russian biologist named Alexander Gurwitsch who, while working with onions in 1923, discovered that roots could stimulate a neighboring plant's roots if the two adjacent plants were in quartz glass pots but not if they were in silicon glass pots. The only difference being that the silicon filtered UV wavelengths of light while the quartz did not. Gurwitsch theorized that onion roots could communicate with each other by ultraviolet light.
Popp was puzzled by this difference, and continued to experiment with UV light and other compounds. He performed his test on 37 different chemicals, some cancer-causing, some not. After a while, he was able to predict which substances could cause cancer. In every instance, the compounds that were carcinogenic took the UV light, absorbed it and changed or scrambled the frequency.

There was another odd property of these compounds: each of the carcinogens reacted only to light at a specific frequency -- 380 nm (nanometres) in the ultra-violet range. Popp kept wondering why a cancer-causing substance would be a light scrambler. He began reading the scientific literature specifically about human biological reactions, and came across information about a phenomenon called 'photorepair'.

Last edited:
There's a wiki page on the subject, it seems to be a real thing but it's not settled science. Interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biophoton

Biophotons were employed by the Stalin regime to diagnose cancer, apparently with such success that Gurwitsch was awarded a prize. The method has not been tested in the west[15] However, more recently there have been claims that, by "harnessing the energy of biophotons", supposed natural cures for cancer are possible.[16][17]

However, failure to replicate his findings and the fact that, though cell growth can be stimulated and directed by radiationthis is possible only at much higher amplitudes, evoked a general skepticism about Gurwitsch's work. In 1953 Irving Langmuir dubbed Gurwitsch's ideas pathological science. Commercial products, therapeutic claims and services supposedly based on his work appear at present to be best regarded as such.

But in the later 20th century Gurwitsch's daughter Anna, Colli, Quickenden and Inaba separately returned to the subject, referring to the phenomenon more neutrally as "dark luminescence", "low level luminescence", "ultraweak bioluminescence", or "ultraweak chemiluminescence". Their common basic hypothesis was that the phenomenon was induced from rare oxidation processes and radical reactions. Gurwitsch's basic observations were vindicated. In the 1970s Fritz-Albert Popp and his research group at the University of Marburg (Germany) showed that the spectral distribution of the emission fell over a wide range of wavelengths, from 200 to 800 nm. Popp proposed that the radiation might be both semi-periodic and coherent.

Russian, German, and other biophotonics experts, often adopting the term "biophotons" from Popp, have growing evidence that their theories may help explain cell functions, such as mitosis.

Under proper stimulation, any molecule will produce a photon.

In the absence of widely settled science I'd be skeptical of the claim that the conditions under which DNA will or will not do so can have any diagnostic meaning, but to the question of whether it simply does or does not, the answer for any material is "sometimes."

Apparently the original experiments done by Alexander Gurwitsch could not be repeated despite numerous attempts. I find it hard to believe that cells would rely so heavily on photons for signaling, there would be a lot of "noise" involved in a system like that.

It is well known from biological laboratory experiments that if you blast a cell with UV light so that 99 per cent of the cell, including its DNA, is destroyed, you can almost entirely repair the damage in a single day just by illuminating the cell with the same wavelength at a much weaker intensity. To this day, scientists don't understand this phenomenon, called photorepair, but no one has disputed it.
This sounds ridiculous. UV light does not just create repairable dimers in DNA bases, it can and does rip DNA apart. Enough exposure would cause more than enough irreparable damage to kill the cell and 99% of the cell being destroyed is certainly not salvageable.

What has been proposed is that somehow each molecule sends out a unique electromagnetic field that can "sense" the field of the complimentary molecule. It's as if there is a "dance" in the cellular medium and the molecules move to the rythm. The music is supplied by the biophoton.
The cell is remarkably good at compartmentalizing its different reactions. When you then think about the sheer number of one type of molecule existing in a cell at a given time (remember Avogadro's number: 6.02x10^23) and the speed of Brownian motion, then the system doesn't need another explanation of how molecules find each other to perform reactions. Form defines function, and we know that certain enzymes will reject many wrong molecules before accepting the right one and can do it all many times in an incredibly short amount of time. There is no need for a mechanism of photon excitation bringing molecules closer faster to explain all of this.

Popp found that the greater the concentration of ethidium, the more the DNA unravelled, but also the stronger the intensity of light. Conversely, the less he used, the less light was emitted.
Ethidium bromide is used to fluoresce DNA. It just sounds like he is measuring the fluorescence of ethidium bromide here.

Death Transmission via the Paranormal "Light" Channel
They completely lost me here. I can't find anything to follow this paper up with. It sounds very reminiscent of experiments having to do with Lysenkosim.

Could the Russian scientists really have changed a salamander embryo into a frog with lasers?
Well what do you know, that's Lysenkoism. This is called the phantom DNA effect or wave genetics and has been debunked. I think I've even discussed it on this site before. It has not ever been successfully repeated and the mechanism for how it would work has no basis in science. If scientists had such a simple method of turning one cell type into another, let alone one cell into a completely different species, we would have a very different and much more advanced field of tissue engineering.

Last edited:
As silly as Biophotons may seem, stuff like Triboluminescence and Autofluorescence are real things that can sound ridiculous on first hearing.

As @Hevach pointed out, almost all molecules have the ability to produce light under the right circumstances.

Triboluminescence is where light is generated from the breaking of chemical bonds. As ridiculous as it sounds, one could stand in a black room, eat a big tablespoon of sugar and crunch it in your open mouth and someone could observe sparks of light and flashes coming from your mouth! There are lots of videos on youtube of people using innocuous stuff like sticky tape or quartz rocks to create light to the amazement of the comments sections.

Autofluorescence is the natural (normal) emission of light from biological cell components, i.e. mitochondria (which contain DNA). In my job I take advantage of autofluorescence to diagnose cellular problems, but I remember learning about it at university and thinking how preposterous/magical it all seemed at the beginning before learning more about it.

I know a lot of research was done for a brief period of time on Biophotons (as referenced on the wiki page) and the preposed ability of cells to communicate with each other via light, but in recent years hormonal cellular communication is where most research (and understanding) is focused. It's certainly whats easier to observe and monitor on a cellular level!

If biophotons were 'real' you would presume that with all the advances in molecular photography and observation, stuff like this would have been observed by now.

Popp began thinking about light in nature. Light was present in plants and was used during photosynthesis. When we eat plant foods, he thought, it must be that we take up the photons and store them.

When we consume broccoli, for example, and digest it, it is metabolised into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water, plus the light stored from the sun and photosynthesis. We extract the CO2 and eliminate the water, but the light, an EM wave, must be stored. When taken in by the body, the energy of these photons dissipates and becomes distributed over the entire spectrum of EM frequencies, from the lowest to the highest.
It seems very unlikely to me that a theoretical biophysicist could talk about "storing photons". You can't store photons. The photons are absorbed in the process of photosynthesis. Their energy is stored in chemical bonds of f.i. glucose, not being distributed over other EM radiation.

I had this same experience this week when I was sent an article where a Russian (again) scientist, Pjotr Garjajev, had managed to intercept communication from a DNA molecule in the form of ultraviolet photons
I tried to find a scientific journal that had this experiment. All I could find were blogs and other websites that carried the same story
Could the Russian scientists really have changed a salamander embryo into a frog with lasers? I prefer to wait until the actual details of the experiment are published and reviewed
Why not giving the source of this "article"? Dan Eden (Gary Vey) doesn't give any sources at all. That makes it very difficult to trace a specific claim back to its origin. Unless you want to stumble in the jungle of the internet.

Back