Claim: DNA evidence confirms existence of black panthers in the British countryside

Re: This presentation by Shell Lee.
237248128_10165454500595204_112377887289835182_n.jpg

It's important to sort some things out.

These photos were taken on different days, but was the photographer standing in the same place on both days? Yes, I think so.

Why is that important? Because perspective distortion is caused by distance, not by the focal length of the lens.

Why is perspective distortion important? Because of how it affects the relative image size of two objects at different distances.

If one object is very close to the camera and one is very distant, there's a dramatic difference in image size.
hello.jpg

But if both objects are distant from the camera, the image sizes don't differ as much.

Same lens... different distance.
erased-2.jpg
Note that the image size of the car has changed quite a bit but the image size of the distant clouds hasn't changed enough to be noticeable. It's all about geometry. What if the car were hundreds of feet from the camera? How would the relative image sizes of the car and the clouds change?

In this telephoto shot, the cars are all distant from the camera. Even though the cars are quite distant from each other, the image sizes are not dramatically different. Telephoto shots look oddly flat. That's perspective distortion at work. But it's distance, not the lens. It's all about geometry.
telephoto-shot-of-highway-traffic-shot-on-a-cinema-camera-4k-videos_csp68753758.png

These photos were taken from the same spot. The camera didn't move. Only the lenses are different.

I've isolated the 200 mm shot here

And here's a cropped and enlarged image from the 55mm lens shot.

The perspective distortion is just the same. It's distance not the lens. It's all about geometry

But notice how crappy the bottom photo looks. It's in focus; that's not the problem. But the resolution is crappy. That's the real reason we use telephoto lenses instead of just enlarging photos taken with a normal lens.

What's the difference between magnification and resolution?

A magnified image looks bigger. (okay)

But resolution is not about how big the image looks; it's how good it looks. Telescopes are built with big mirrors or lenses to gather more light. A little bitty three inch telescope might magnify at 300 power if you use a strong eyepiece, but the image can't compare to what you'd see through a ten inch telescope that also magnifies at 300 power. The three incher doesn't gather as much light; there isn't as much information. The image in a three incher would be in focus and it would be just as big, but the resolution would be low.

Why do we use telephoto lenses at all? We could just use a "normal lens" and just "blow up" and crop the photos we take. But if you blow up a photo, the resolution goes down. You're spreading out too little information too thin.

Now then, what's the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom? Optical zoom refers to changing the focal length of the lens. If you zoom in optically you're using a telephoto lens.

Digital zoom essentially means the camera is just electronically "blowing up" the image. The lens stays the same. You get a bigger image, but the resolution suffers. It's very much the same as in the example I present above.

Why is that important? Because in the original video taken in August of 2021, the photographer used digital zoom. In the still photo taken a few days later the photographer didn't use digital zoom. She just later blew up the photo. It's essentially the same process. The camera just let's you skip a step. That's why both photos of the cats in question have poor resolution.

Or, perhaps the Stamford Mercury enlarged and cropped the original video.

In the end, there's no significant optical difference. The perspective distortion is essentially the same, because the photographer was standing in the same place.

As presented by Shell Lee, the image of the "normal cat" is smaller than the image of the "black panther" even though the black panther is more distant. Checkmate, Skeptics.

237248128_10165454500595204_112377887289835182_n.jpg

As has been pointed out, this presentation is deceptive. We shouldn't talk about the zoom factor though. We should talk about how much each photo has been blown up. In the presentation by Shell Lee, the image of the purported black panther is blown up more than that of the normal cat. This may have been done unconsciously, or half-consciously. Lee had to manually enlarge the domestic cat photos, but didn't take care to do it properly.

It's a bit tricky to blow them up to the same degree, but that has been done here to a good approximation by Trailblazer. Well done, Trailblazer. cat6 (1).png

The images of the two cats are much the same size. It doesn't matter if they are the same domestic cat or two different domestic cats. Because of perspective distortion, the image size for both will be much the same, even though one is more distant.

And it doesn't matter how "muscular" or heavily built the purported black panther seems to be. Maybe that's what Shell Lee was trying to emphasize rather than image size. The image size is the decisive factor because it's a more easily measurable and extreme factor, rather than a heartfelt judgement.

If the more distant cat were truly a leopard, the image size of the leopard would have to be many times larger than that of the kitty... because a leopard is much bigger than a domestic cat. It would be a dramatic and unmistakable difference.

This telephoto shot is a good analogy.
telephoto-lens-traffic-110-freeway-087416754_prevstill.png
The bus is bigger than the cars. The image size of the more distant bus is greater than the image size of the closer cars.

I think this is just one more false sighting. It's a dramatic story, but it doesn't hold up.

It's another case of a common issue in UFO sightings. Big and distant, or closer and smaller? If the witness is primed to see it as larger, the witness perceives it as larger. The big black panther makes for a more dramatic story, therefore the witness is primed to see the cat as big.

Just something to think about. In the Southwestern U.S., how many mountain lions are falsely perceived as kittys?

Last edited:
This one. Looks like a large shed or farm outbuilding?
i think it is this (green arrow)..but the blue arrow bit is maybe a pop up tent or pickup truck cap? lying in front of the building.

?
1684164276566.png

add:eek:h and maybe this is the tank (blue arrow) i thought it was further from the building but relooking at roof line the tree is likely hiding the end of the building. ah. i feel better now, it was driving me nuts :)
1684164437561.png

From 1997-2007, I spend a great deal of time in Buckinghamshire ("Bucks County" to the locals), usually staying in/near Gerrards Cross or Beaconsfield. There were a number of big cat sightings in that area of what the locals referred to as the "Beast of Bucks." Some were black, others sounded more like mountain lions or lynx.

One night in an ancient pub ("Royal Standard of England") just outside Beaconsfield, I heard a group of six older men discussing a (then) recent sighting. My curiosity got the better of me, and I asked if I could join them. They were surprisingly welcoming, although my offering to stand a round of drinks probably helped.

What was particularly interesting to me was none of them could recall hearing reports of big cat sightings in that area as they were growing up. The youngest of the group, a guy of about my age who was the son of one of the older men, said the earliest he remembered a reported sighting was while he was still in school in the mid 70s. To me that suggested a fairly recent phenomena, as opposed to longstanding folklore, at least in that area.

It looks like there is a black tank, maybe an oil tank, behind and to the left of the animal. Also looks like a pipe extending to the right and then turning 90 degrees downwards.
i think the "downwards" pariedolia is just the edge of the barn/house.

this shape kinda matches. the biggest one 500 gallons is 64 inches high.
the 200 gallon is 56 inches high. (just if it helps with anyones math to have estimated heights.)
note :says it can be used for nonpotable water too.
1684168293302.pnghttps://pbmtanksupply.com/products/...nks/500-gallon-spherical-pump-tank-40785.html

From 1997-2007, I spend a great deal of time in Buckinghamshire ("Bucks County" to the locals), usually staying in/near Gerrards Cross or Beaconsfield. There were a number of big cat sightings in that area of what the locals referred to as the "Beast of Bucks." Some were black, others sounded more like mountain lions or lynx.

One night in an ancient pub ("Royal Standard of England") just outside Beaconsfield, I heard a group of six older men discussing a (then) recent sighting. My curiosity got the better of me, and I asked if I could join them. They were surprisingly welcoming, although my offering to stand a round of drinks probably helped.

What was particularly interesting to me was none of them could recall hearing reports of big cat sightings in that area as they were growing up. The youngest of the group, a guy of about my age who was the son of one of the older men, said the earliest he remembered a reported sighting was while he was still in school in the mid 70s. To me that suggested a fairly recent phenomena, as opposed to longstanding folklore, at least in that area.

Growing up in the bit of London just inside the Herts./Bucks. boundary, I do remember Beaconsfield mentioned in the context of such beasts in the late 70s. "Beasts" plural, because the Beast of Bodmin Boor was particularly popular at the time ("a phantom wild cat purported to live in Cornwall, England. Bodmin Moor became a centre of purported sightings after 1978, with occasional reports of mutilated slain livestock" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Bodmin_Moor). Maybe we were just jealous of Cornwall's fame, and wanted some of our own?

Big and distant, or closer and smaller? If the witness is primed to see it as larger, the witness perceives it as larger. The big black panther makes for a more dramatic story, therefore the witness is primed to see the cat as big.

From the excellent series Father Ted, written by Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews, Channel 4 (UK).

As for continued sightings (which seem unlikely to cease), Discovery offers a plausible, slightly insulting explanation for humans' repeated insistence that the animals they're seeing are not, could not possibly be, just cats: "People are simply not very good at estimating the size of objects, especially when they are excited or alarmed."
Content from External Source
"The Week", 08/01/2015 https://theweek.com/articles/444317/mystery-britains-alien-big-cats

the Beast of Bodmin Boor was particularly popular at the time

I remember the Beast of Bodmin- and the Beast of Exmoor in 1983, which has a Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Exmoor)
where, under "Explanations" it's written

Most observers and scientists believe that the sightings are merely of escaped domestic cats whose size has been greatly exaggerated, or else of large dogs that have been misidentified. The livestock deaths have often been attributed to these large dogs
...though of course modest-sized dogs can also savage sheep (and do);

“It is hard for people to imagine their friendly family pet could chase, injure or kill another animal - but all dogs are capable of this, regardless of breed or size.
“If there is an attack, it is important people accept responsibility and report it, either to the police or a local farmer, so that the injured animals are not left suffering.”
-Hannah Binns of the National Farmer's Union, quoted on Greatest Hits Radio website,
link to article Dog attacks on livestock cost farmers almost £2 million

In response to "the Beast of Exmoor", The UK government deployed some Royal Marines snipers on Exmoor for a short time
(picture from The Daily Telegraph article "Big cats in Britain: In pictures" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatpicturegalleries/9504485/Big-cats-in-Britain-in-pictures.html
RM moggie stalkers.JPG

There's a report about "the Beast of Exmoor" that might support Z.W. Wolf's point about apparent size:
If the witness is primed to see it as larger, the witness perceives it as larger

In 1983 the panther-like Beast of Exmoor caused so much concern that marines were called in to hunt it down. In her book on the beast, Di Francis recounts how a marine sniper had the animal in his sights, but did not fire because he thought it was too far away for a safe shot.
Afterwards, he was puzzled when he paced the distance and found that the beast had been easily in range. His mistake was probably in assuming it was a large animal; it is likely the animal was much smaller and much closer than he thought.
From "It's a lion... no it's a cat", The Guardian, David Hambling 19/07/2001 (the article is about size estimates in ABC reports) (https://www.theguardian.com/science/2001/jul/19/highereducation.education

The Marines didn't kill or capture any animals, but
the number of attacks on livestock dwindled
...according to Wikipedia's "Beast of Exmoor".

I think it's possible that there's a causal link between the marine's presence and the fall in livestock attacks.
Big cats don't watch the news or read newspapers, and some Royal Marines have excellent fieldcraft and tracking skills, but if any big cats were "spooked" and displaced by the marine's presence, there was no resultant increase in sightings or attacks in adjacent areas AFAIK.
However- and I am speculating- I'm guessing that the number of dog-walkers, campers/ hikers accompanied by dogs, and certainly poachers with dogs would have fallen pretty dramatically during this period. Maybe some locals were a bit more careful in ensuring that their dogs were secure.

I'm not aware that any "big cat" attack on British livestock has ever been witnessed. A lynx may have been seen killing chickens.
There undoubtedly have been big cats (but no leopards, lions or tigers) which have escaped or been released in Britain, but in the main they seem to get captured, or meet a sticky end pretty quickly- they don't seem used to living in the wild or indeed near roads.

Regarding a puma caught in Inverness-shire (Scotland),
Zoo director Eddie Orbell concluded that the animal had been tamed and might not have been released for long, noting that it enjoyed being tickled.
From Wikipedia, "British big cats", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_big_cats, which records several documented instances of large-ish felids captured, road-killed or shot.

The Gloucestershire DNA evidence of a leopard is interesting, but considering what I think are problems with the credibility of the one previous "find" of leopard DNA (also from hair- strangely found close to the site of the Centre for Fortean Zoology) it's not conclusive (for me anyway).
Leopards are big cats, they need to eat and while they have broad diets they preferentially hunt ungulates.
Average intervals between ungulate kills range from seven[30] to 12–13 days.
(Wikipedia, African leopard).
Sheep are easy to catch, widely found in Britain and a leopard won't change its diet as part of a plan to conceal its existence!
If one were at large, I think a pattern of predation would be apparent within a few weeks.

Despite my scepticism, I am reassured in the knowledge that my local police, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary, take such sightings seriously (and attempt a humane capture if possible):

"Typical tiger country has three main features... ...It will always have good cover, it will always be close to water and plenty of prey."
So perhaps it should have come as no surprise to Hampshire police when they were alerted to the presence of a white tiger in a field in Hedge End, near Southampton on the south coast.

The force quickly liaised with a local zoo to arrange a tranquilliser dart, before scrambling a helicopter and team of police officers to pursue the beast
A police spokeswoman is quoted,

"After a brief stalk through the Hedge End savannah, the officer realised the tiger was not moving and the air support using their cameras realised there was a lack of heat source," the spokeswoman said.

"The tiger then rolled over in the down draught and it was at that point it became obvious it was a stuffed life-size toy." It is understood that the tranquilliser dart was not used.
Hants tiger.JPG
"White tiger toy scare causes Hampshire police alert", The Guardian, Adam Gabbatt 22/05/2011
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/22/white-tiger-toy-alert-police-southampton

Last edited:
that's so funny. i was just watching a new tv comedy called "Animal Control" and that was one of the scenarios. I thought it was a bit much (ie. lame) even for a comedy show. It's much funnier now that i know something like that really happened lol
I once was startled when I saw there was a body lying down at the bottom of a nearby waterfall. But while I reached for my phone to call the police, I realised it was a nude inflatable sex doll. :D

I just remembered black panthers have been spotted in Italy too, the following article is dated 26 April 2021:

1684327560747.png
https://www.lagazzettadelmezzogiorn...ro-felino-africano-eccola-con-i-cuccioli.html

[My translation]
Bari - After the last sighting in Salento, less than one week ago, the black panther has been seen again in Puglia. It was spotted in San Paolo district of Bari, after reports from some residents who alerted the police when they saw the outline of the big cat. But the mistery of the black feline has been solved thanks to surveillance with drones from above: it's a serval (the scientific name being Leptailurs serval), a wild cat native to Africa. The news were given by TGNorba [a local newstation, NdT] The alleged panther, which has been sighted here and there in Puglia for months, then, does not exist, and according to those who located the animal in the countryside north of Bari the specimen is a black female serval. The big feline [medium, actually, NdT] is a protected species whose commercialization is forbidden. She has some pups with her, probably after mating with a different species of feline [the sub-title of the article suggests it was a domestic cat, NdT]. Efforts are been taken to capture mother and puppies and relocate them in a safe place.

The serval is about the size of a bobcat (9-18 kg according to wikipedia).

By Bob - Picasa Web Albums, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12365626

Last edited:
I digged a bit deeper on the Apulian black panther and, while the survival in the wild of a serval in Puglia surely has a much higher prior probability than the survival of a leopard in England (given the size of the cat and the different climates) it seems even the serval evaporated away after a little time. I could only find news articles about a female black cat caught in a trap some days later (subsequently released) and an article from the Italian Veterinary Doctors Association (SIVAS Zoo) which basically says it was always black dogs or black cats from the start (see link below, the article is in Italian).

An interesting piece of added information is this:
Inoltre, "tutti i reperti ritrovati, come orme e carcasse di animali morti, confermavano, a parere di professionisti esperti, l’appartenenza ad esemplari di canidae come lupi o cani di grossa taglia".
https://www.anmvioggi.it/rubriche/attualita/71036-avvistamento-di-pantere.html
[My translation] Moreover, "all the evidence found, such as footprints and dead animals, were confirmed, according to experts professionals, to be related to canidae such as wolves or big dogs".

Which means both footprints and dead animals were claimed to be proof of the existence of the 'black panther' (which is a rather common theme among dubious claims).

After this, the Apulian black panther apparently vanished from the news (I guess the veterinaries were right).

I once was startled when I saw there was a body lying down at the bottom of a nearby waterfall. But while I reached for my phone to call the police, I realised it was a nude inflatable sex doll. :D
that might still warrant a call to police. any guy who would throw his inflatable sex doll over a cliff probably has some rather serious issues with women. :(

that might still warrant a call to police. any guy who would throw his inflatable sex doll over a cliff probably has some rather serious issues with women. :(
My guess is that teenagers did it to produce a YouTube video.

any guy who would throw his inflatable sex doll over a cliff probably has some rather serious issues with women.
-or nosy refuse collectors.
Or maybe he's a depressingly inconsiderate lover. He probably got the doll after he found his favourite sock on the driver's seat of his car, hosepipe from the exhaust through the window, engine running.

-or nosy refuse collectors.
Or maybe he's a depressingly inconsiderate lover. He probably got the doll after he found his favourite sock on the driver's seat of his car, hosepipe from the exhaust through the window, engine running.
Let's stay on topic please.

Nothing materially new to add to the discussion, other than the July 2023 issue of "Fortean Times" (FT 433) has an article,
"Proof of Alien Big Cats in Britain?", which discusses the case raised by the OP, serpentdebunker.

I was tempted to paste the complete article, but "fair use" and all that, and I doubt the FT staff are getting massively rich from the magazine. No author is cited; so probably one of the Fortean Times' staff.

The article briefly describes the original claim- that hair found on a barbed wire fence by a filmmaker team, near where a lamb had been killed, had been DNA tested and found to be a "99.9%" match for a leopard (Panthera pardus). It's noted that this would seem to be significant evidence for a leopard at large in the English countryside.

However, the article continues that the claim has
...some serious flaws that undermine its credibility.
(Fortean Times 433, "Proof of Alien Big Cats in Britain?")

The fact that the location is being kept secret is said to reduce the value of the evidence because the filmmaker's story can't be verified. More significantly (in the view of the FT writer), the lab which performed the DNA analysis has (according to the film team) requested anonymity, something the FT describes as "...highly unusual".

That only one lab was asked to do the DNA testing is also raised as a factor weakening the evidence- it's mentioned that the Centre for Fortean Zoology used two identified independent labs (Durham University, Copenhagen University) for a hair sample found in 2010 near Woolsery, Devon (positive for leopard DNA) and that Warwick University openly performed tests on claimed ABC evidence (which proved negative).

The FT writer states that, as other researchers are unable to verify any details about the sheep kill or the lab analysis of the hair, we only have the filmmaker's claims that either actually occurred.

...Dragonfly Films are seeking a platform for the latest version of their Panthera Britannica documentary... ...so have a vested interest in hyping the results, and this cannot help but raise questions.
(FT 433, as above).

The earlier finding of Leopard DNA in a hair sample from near the small village of Woolsery, Devon (more formally, Woolfardisworthy, see Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolfardisworthy,_Torridge) is only mentioned in relation to the transparency of laboratories used. By a striking coincidence, Woolsery is the home of the Centre for Fortean Zoology (a fact not mentioned by the Fortean Times), something which I feel "...cannot help but raise questions" about their sample.

Incidentally (and a little off-topic), Fortean Times 431, May 2023, had an interesting article which examined the claimed sightings of Nessie, AKA the Loch Ness Monster over the past 90 years, the subsequent press coverage, and the knowledge/ beliefs of the local people.
Maybe surprisingly for the FT (which isn't by any means a skeptical journal) the findings- which are well-reasoned, I think- might disappoint Nessie fans.

The article over-stretches things with 'big cats'....plural....as all the DNA test establishes is the existence of one big cat. Some argue that there has to be more than one to keep a population going, but I find that argument absurd as it relies on multiple big cat 'escapes' within relatively small areas, and on the escapees being opposite sex, and so on. As we have no idea when any big cat may have escaped into the wild ( or even if it was smuggled here ) we cannot say there is more than one.

If there were big cats wild in the English countryside, sheep farmers would soon know about it. And farmers invariably have dogs, which would soon sniff out the evidence. I would quite like the stories to be true, but I doubt it.

Here is a post on the lion video by an expert who was correct even though German animal researchers were saying it was "definitely" a lion. https://tetzoo.com/blog/2023/7/20/kleinmachnow-lion-not-a-lion

Edit: I meant to add that even some experts are readily fooled. (I think we can all account for the countless times that happens, yet people insist it should not.) It is unreliable to insist that locals (particularly hunters) know the animals in the area and when an animal is not one of them. This has been shown to be false repeatedly.

A photo or even a video is just not good enough. That has to be supported by other physical evidence beyond eyewitnesses. In the Kleinmachnow case, people said they saw a "lion", even police officers said they did but these did not pan out. We have a case of the "Red Panda" effect - when neighbors of the Rotterdam zoo in 1978 were aware that a red panda had escaped and they reported many sightings of it, except it has been killed near the zoo and could not have been seen. Eyewitnesses had been primed to see the animal and so, that's what they "saw".

Last edited:
Here is a post on the lion video by an expert who was correct even though German animal researchers were saying it was "definitely" a lion. https://tetzoo.com/blog/2023/7/20/kleinmachnow-lion-not-a-lion
Over the past day (20th July 2023), social media accounts have been sharing a brief snippet of mobile phone footage purporting to show a lion (specifically, a lioness) walking at the edge of woodland in the Berlin suburb of Kleinmachnow…

Those familiar with weird animal reports will know that ‘escaped lions’ appear fairly often in the global media, the usual story being that the animal is a suspected escapee from a zoo, circus or private collection. Said animal usually turns out to be misidentified house cat or even a pet dog.

In this case, the ‘lion’ definitely isn’t a lion. Look at these montages I knocked up…

[...]

But if the animal isn’t a lion, what is it? My initial thought was young cow. But cows generally have a very horizontal dorsal border to the spine and don’t put as much curve into the spine as the Kleinmachnow animal does in the footage. There are boar in the area, so could it be one of them? That’s not a bad idea: my initial response to this was that boars have a comparatively short, slender tail that isn’t tipped with a large brush, but this isn’t true across all individuals. Some do indeed have such a tail. Boars can also put this sort of curvature into the spine when foraging, and the ear shape is right too. If this identification is right, this must be a pale boar, presumably a young one. This would also explain the high-set position of the ears and comparatively large head.

Contrast your post with what Mendel provided. His has links and exposition. Yours has a link with minimal exposition. The Posting Guidelines require a bit more.
Yes true, sorry ATM only on phone, internet is dodgy, working 7 days a week ATM, other stuff etc. Yes all excuses, but since it's been a couple of days and no writing here about this news I thought it was fair game, if you pardon the pun.
I have no qualms about others writing better or more fully about it

I'd just want to add my two cents as a conservation biologist. Caveat: I do not work with big cats, or wildlife conservation. It is not my area of expertise.

Anyway, the notion that the British countryside would be able to sustain a breeding population of any big cat species for decades without leaving any traces is extremely implausible for several reasons.

1. Since there are no native species of big cat in Britain, they would have to come from released/escaped specimens, and the odds of enough animals a) escaping, b) surviving and c) finding each other in order to form a founding population are very, very small.

2. Even if someone released several individuals of the same species at roughly the same time in roughly the same area, I wouldn't expect them to be able to establish a breeding population for long because of the small number of founding animals. The population would be below the extinction threshold already from its beginning and would die off eventually.

3. A large terrestrial apex predator such as a big cat needs a lot of resources and a large home range. Most big cats (leopards included) are solitary animals as well and do not like to have much overlap between their home ranges. Farmers wouldn't find just one sheep missing once every few years or so. They would find a lot of dead and missing sheep, and often there would be way more animals killed than seemingly necessary, because that is what happens when a large, wild predator gets into a livestock enclosure. And even if they would completely avoid attacking farm animals, their presence would be detected in the form of scats, markings, leftover carcasses from deer and the local/regional effects predation would have on prey species. If there was a continuously existing population of big cats living anywhere in Britain, it would nearly impossible to miss.

So, how about escaped pets, then? Just a single animal during a few years in a local area? Sure, that's possible, and has happened in the past. But they usually get caught and/or killed and most often quite soon after their escape. A "pet" leopard would probably keep rather close to human settlements since humans have been its source of food for most, if not all, of its life. It would be (relatively) poor hunter since it would not have had the opportunity to learn from its mother. Hunger would drive it to seek out populated areas, where it would either kill pets or livestock or get spotted by humans when looking for food.

In theory, a single leopard that had escaped in a very rural area and somehow managed to be enough of an effective hunter on wild prey to be able to fully avoid human settlements, could arguably survive. Doing some quick guesstimates I'd say it would probably need a much larger home range than usual, since the population densities of suitable prey species are much smaller in Britain than in say, Serengeti, in the leopard's native range. Even if we disregard that, finding a secluded area large enough to house even one female leopard in Britain (~14 km²) without anyone noticing for several years is hard. Not to mention that somehow the leopard would have to find its way there too, and stay there instead of looking for better hunting grounds closer to human settlements where prey is usually more abundant.

In conclusion: there are no wild leopards (or other big cats other than large domestic cats) living in Britain, except for the very infrequent escapee that usually gets caught within a short period of time and until I see a reputable, identified lab having double-checked the lab work of these claimed hairs, I will assume it's a hoax, and even after that, I will assume the film makers planted the hairs (so, still a hoax) until someone reputable can show proof that there really is an leopard on the loose.

The original poster @serpentdebunker told us about the claim by a film company, Dragonfly, to have found a sample of leopard hair in the British countryside; OP quoting (link) Metro, 11 May 2023:

''DNA from a black hair caught on a barbwire fence following a sheep attack has offered 'definitive proof' big cats are roaming the British countryside.
...The findings have come to light as part of filming for an upcoming documentary -Panthera Britannia Declassified - which investigates claims of big cat sightings in Britain.''

The film-makers who (with astonishing luck) found the leopard hair while researching for their TV program
"Panthera Britannia Declassified" now claim to have

"Probably the best photo of a British big cat that exists".
-Dragonfly Films producer Tim Whittard, quoted (page 24) in Fortean Times 436, October 2023.
The photo:

debunked.jpg

The photo was supposedly taken in Smallthorne, an area of the city of Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Fortean Times (FT) relates that Carl Marshall at the Centre for Fortean Zoology (CFZ) was going through archives when he found the photo, accompanied by a handwritten note without a full name or sender's address.
The FT comments that this makes verifying the photo very difficult; there is nothing to tie it with a specific witness, location or date. (FT isn't formally connected to the Centre for Fortean Zoology).

Centre for Fortean Zoology website, https://cfz.org.uk/ -some interesting tales, quite a lot of Woo.

Presumably the Centre for Fortean Zoology supplied the photo (or a copy) to Dragonfly staff.

The Centre for Fortean Zoology, like Dragonfly films, has also claimed to have found hair with Leopard DNA in Britain
(quote from Wikipedia, British big cats)
In 2011 it was announced by the Centre for Fortean Zoology that DNA testing, carried out by Durham University on hairs found in north-Devon, showed that a leopard was living in the area...
...hairs found in woods near Woolfardisworthy had been positively identified as those of a leopard.
In the Wikipedia article "Woolfardisworthy, Torridge", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolfardisworthy,_Torridge we read
The Centre for Fortean Zoology is based here.
In the above linked-to post I mused that this challenges credibility: the small Devon village of Woolfardisworthy just happens to be the home of the Centre for Fortean Zoology. Coincidences do happen- but this is a remarkable coincidence.

Now the Centre for Fortean Zoology has found, in mysterious circumstances, "...the best photo of a British big cat that exists".

FT continues: wildlife film maker and photographer Martin Belderson suspected the image was faked. After some investigating he concluded that the leopard is from a poster sold by US company Allposters, titled "Black Panther Sitting in Grass". The image had been rotated approx. 1 degree clockwise and may be very slightly stretched.
Allposters' original image below left; cropped "...best photo of a British big cat that exists" below right for comparison.

allposters.com Black Panther Sitting in Grass.jpgdebunked.jpg

FT concludes

"So, while it is an excellent photo of a big cat, it is not an excellent photo of a big cat in Britain, and is, in fact, a deliberately created composite of two different images. ...why it was used to promote the documentary is unclear..."
I think it's fairly clear: filmmakers Dragonfly, who have made some popular documentaries (usually human-interest stories, such as One Born Every Minute, an award-winning series set in labour wards) don't really take "alien big cats" seriously, and are happy to use extremely shaky evidence to promote their films on the subject if it raises interest- -and to hell with whether it actually helps with establishing the facts of the matter or not.

Maybe "believers" should be as wary of this approach as "skeptics"; surely we want to know the facts, not just have a greater number of people who share our beliefs based on incorrect information from media types whose main motivations are numbers of viewers and sales made, not factual information delivered or mysteries solved.

The Centre for Fortean Zoology has now had two "extraordinary" pieces of evidence appear (leopard hair, now the photograph) in their immediate environs, without adequate explanation. Perhaps some sort of internal review is required- it would be a shame if their credibility were tarnished by someone close to home taking a less-than-scientific approach to establishing the truth about anomalous animals.

After some investigating he concluded that the leopard is from a poster sold by US company Allposters, titled "Black Panther Sitting in Grass". The image had been rotated approx. 1 degree clockwise and may be very slightly stretched.
If it is indeed the same panther pic, it looks like some panther has been shaved off along the side of his face (viewers' left in the claimed British image), to get the eye "in contact" with the edge of the face, and to make the ear a bit skinnier on that side. The opposite ear may have been trimmed a bit too, as the slight notch in that ear is not visible.

Seems odd to go to the trouble of messing so much with the image (totally new grass shopped in, etc.) to change a picture of a panther that could have been taken anywhere into a picture of a panther that could have been taken anywhere. For that effort, I'd want something British in my new picture -- maybe not as obvious as a phone box or double-decker bus, but SOMETHING, some background scenery or a local bird species or the like.

even the kinda far outskirts that looks like i t might have some untended grass, doesnt have enough grass to hide a leopard. April:
1697422764376.png

where did you read this? small thorne doesnt have alot of grass area. and its all super manicured.
Agreed- none of it seems very likely (and that's before we consider the existence of the probable original image).

I don't know the area, but get the impression that Smallthorne is now a rather quiet suburb of Stoke-on-Trent (most people would just say "Stoke") with a high percentage of retired people
Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallthorne

Fortean Times 436, October 2023:

The picture is supposed to show a black panther-like cat lying in long grass in Smallthorne, Staffordshire, but its provenance leaves a lot to be desired.
The only source for the claimed location must be the hand-written note found with the photo by Carl Marshall at the Centre for Fortean Zoology.
The Fortean Times article doesn't state that Smallthorne is part of the city of Stoke- I'd never heard of it before and (until I looked at a map) initially assumed it must be a small village in Staffordshire.

I don't want to do the anonymous photographer's bunk work for them, but Smallthorne is close to the north-east edge of Stoke and less than a km (0.62 miles) from a very modest nature reserve which at its northern end meets countryside beyond, through a narrow green isthmus.

a2.JPG

a1.JPG

There's moorland a few km to the east, but it's not exactly the plains of Kenya.
I doubt the staff of Jacksons Nurseries, Tea Room & Farm Shop have to put their Dangerous Predator Emergency Plan into action very often... :)

Last edited:
couldnt bring myself to distort his beautiful face and give him those weird googley eyes like the beast photo..but the sun does seem to be hitting the two exactly the same
debunked22.jpg

leopard.png

Fortean Times 436, October 2023:

The picture is supposed to show a black panther-like cat lying in long grass in Smallthorne, Staffordshire, but its provenance leaves a lot to be desired.
That's putting it mildly, given that someone at the Centre for Fortean Zoology has filed the "the best photo of a British big cat that exists" away without telling anyone, and throwing away the envelope it came in.

I find this slightly less likely than the person who runs the Centre sending away any hair they find stuck on a fence to be DNA tested.

I find this slightly less likely than the person who runs the Centre sending away any hair they find stuck on a fence to be DNA tested.
"Alien Big Cats" have been a "thing" in Britain for decades now, so I could believe a motivated cryptozoologist getting some tuition from a zoo, or a conventional zoologist, in identifying big cat spoor/ hair/ signs of predation etc., but finding it in the same small village as where their cryptozoology enterprise is based...

And now the mystery photo- which as Mendel points out, we are asked to believe was filed by someone at CFZ who didn't think to keep the envelope (or note how it arrived if not posted), and presumably didn't think it was of interest at the time- it takes a lot of swallowing.
If it is indeed the same panther pic, it looks like some panther has been shaved off along the side of his face (viewers' left in the claimed British image), to get the eye "in contact" with the edge of the face
Yes, I hadn't noticed that.
To make it harder for AI image recognition to flag it as a copyright violation.
-Also maybe some minor editing was done (as well as the horizontal flip and slight rotation- very nicely demonstrated by @deirdre, thank you) in the hope it would confound a reverse image search.

I think this pretty much confirms the "Smallthorne" photo is a fake. Each cat has a visible droopy whisker at the same angle, and a light-coloured spot or splodge of something just below where the whiskers emerge from the face.

Looks like the Fortean Times (and Martin Belderson) called it right- you've got to be a bit careful with the FT (though it doesn't claim to be a skeptical magazine)- the very same issue (436) has an account written by the Zoological Director of the Centre for Fortean Zoology, Richard Freeman, about

...two jointly mounted trips to The Isle of Man in search of traces of Gef the Talking Mongoose
("The Gef Pilgrimage", Richard Freeman, Fortean Times 436, October 2023).
And they do mean a TALKING mongoose. :D

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For that effort, I'd want something British in my new picture -- maybe not as obvious as a phone box or double-decker bus, but SOMETHING, some background scenery or a local bird species or the like.
Wow, you people are such a tough audience!

Untitled.jpg

"Alien Big Cats" have been a "thing" in Britain for decades now, so I could believe a motivated cryptozoologist getting some tuition from a zoo, or a conventional zoologist, in identifying big cat spoor/ hair/ signs of predation etc., but finding it in the same small village as where their cryptozoology enterprise is based...
The idea here is that nobody bothers sending in any random hair they find stuck on a fence to be DNA-tested, but the person running the centre might do that with any hair they encounter on their daily afternoon walk. So if any such hair (and nothing else) is identified, it'd have to come from them. But obviously we skeptics are going to have trust issues when such evidence cominh from a believer is easily manufactured.

What we really want is sightings reported by several witnesses in a specific area, then an independent zoologist/hunter investigating and finding tracks and droppings, and then a positive DNA test would feel somewhat plausible.

I would personally like to see the meadow (or any meadow) in Britain dominated by a grass or sedge that broadleaved. The colour is also an "interesting" choice. Am I supposed to think the leopard is standing (or has lied down on a hidden platform?) in a field of common reed or maybe Carex riparia?

Also, regarding the other picture where they tried to make their case with the "normal" black cat a bit closer: 1697720957521.jpeg
I think the white flowers in the background are Leucanthemum vulgare (just based on intuition and experience, not from actual identification), and the rest of the vegetation just looks like every unmowed garden ever, making it very likely to have a maximum height of maybe 1 m, and in all probability less. If it is a leopard, it should have a shoulder height of 60-70 cm. Lets say it's a really small leopard, at 50 cm shoulder height. That still makes the top of the vegetation patch ~150 cm high. For a full size leopard, it would be pushing 2 m. For a more reasonable height of the patch of 60-80 cm, we instead get down to 20-25 cm shoulder height, and that just happens to be the size of a completely normal house cat.

Back