Debunked: Paige Yore - The Reluctant Wal-Mart Hero

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
Ok so.. Ive been seeing this thing pop up all over Facebook, and Im sure a lot of you have too.

This lady look familiar? Her name's Paige, and she tells this very awesome story about how some poor kid working at Wal-Mart is getting run through the ringer by some bitchy woman in line ahead of her. Our storyteller, Paige here, steps up and defends the kid who then comes around the counter and sobs into her shoulder, hugging her and thanking her for standing up for him.. You see, his mother just committed suicide that morning, and now he's got to pay all the bills, etc. Pam breaks down into tears in her video and talks about how we all have our own battles to fight that no one sees. Its a very sweet and touching story. So me being me, I did some digging.

Turns out that our hero made the whole thing up. Now, dont get me wrong... The message behind the story is a good one.. just be nice to people. Its one, I think, we can all agree on. What ISNT so good, is the delivery. I dont find it very cool at all that someone would make themselves out to be this Samaritan hero who just "happend to be at the right place at the right time" to step in and help some poor soul in need. You end up destroying your own message that way. Unfortunately, this isnt the first time she's done this. If you check out her Youtube and Facebook pages, youll see that she's had several right time, right place videos... a few TOO many.

The Wal-Mart this supposedly took place in, confirms that she was in the store that day, but that the mother of the clerk in this story (or who they believe is the clerk she's referring to based on the date she gives in the video) is alive and doing very well (see snopes link below). Several outlets that I dug into had tried to confirm the story but they all came up dry. If you read the comments there's the usual diatribe about Wal-Mart denying everything yadda yadda.. but youd think that Wal-Mart would USE this story in their PR Campaign, ESPECIALLY this time of year. Itd be perfect, yet I cant find a single link or mention of it anywhere on their website or PR sites.

Might sound like Im being a bit harsh on Ms Yore here, but the video the image above comes from, has gotten over 11 MILLION Views. Thats a lot of clicks, a lot of views, and a fair chunk of change if she's got it monetized.

Just as a side note, I came across a link from Snopes where they debunked it as well. Dont get me wrong, I like the message, I DONT like it when people make themselves out to be the hero in a story thats about making all of mankind a little better.

http://www.snopes.com/paige-yore-walmart/

Last edited:
Yes, Ms. Yore seems to be laying low after Walmart found the surveillance video and interviewed the poor kid.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...life-has-been-shared-790000-times-on-facebook

If you look at her YouTube videos she seems to be trying to get an audience with short, extremely generic, vague
little vids. Not my taste, but I realize that some people seem to find comfort/inspiration in such things.

To me, she really gives the game away when discussing the popularity of the sketchy Walmart story:

"Subscribe to my youtube channel, Paige Yore, P-A-I-G-E Y-O-R-E, follow that, see my videos weekly.
I hope to have another couple experiences like I did Friday and be able to inspire people."
;)

Seems like she already had plans to follow up on the "inspiring" theme with more conveniently incredible adventures...
until Walmart had to go and ruin the plan.

Kinda makes me miss the integrity of Jasmine Tridevil...

I think what tipped me off was the Buzz Phrase she used. Everyone fights battles that no one sees... Has FB sappy picture post written all over it

I consider it one of the modern worlds oddities that becoming a viral youtube personality is actually considered a viable career move. I still react in horror at the thought of appearing in visible form on the internet at all.
One for the 'selfie' generation only. (though some older people seem to adopt that behaviour fairly easily)

Back