Debunked: Ottawa Shooting Hoax/Shadow's Prove Wrong Times

CaptainBeefheart

Particularly the claim that the cops were set up and ready for the shoot-out based on this photo ... apparently the Ottawa Police and RCMP should not be seen together like this... and that the shadows prove this was taken at 9:30am

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Particularly the claim that the cops were set up and ready for the shoot-out based on this photo ... apparently the Ottawa Police and RCMP should not be seen together like this... and that the shadows prove this was taken at 9:30am
I have drawn shadows of the three nearest lampposts on Google Earth. They give the Sun azimuth bearings of 136±1° at the time of the photo.
Ottawa shadows.jpg
According to the Sun position calculation for Ottawa on 22 October, this corresponds to the time interval between 10:00 and 10:15 EDT:
Screen shot 2014-11-07 at 11.18.46.png
So it looks like the picture has been taken after the shooting started.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Can you draw in an estimated position of the shadows at 9:30?
Yes, the estimated shadow positions at 9:30 EDT are shown below with yellow lines (bearings 128°):
Ottawa shadows 9-30.jpg

The actual positions (shown with purple lines) have been derived with the help of distinct ground features used for reference: the zebra crossing, the fence pylons, the road markings ('turn left' arrow sign, dark spots, etc).

Last edited:

NoParty

Senior Member.
I have drawn shadows of the three nearest lampposts on Google Earth. They give the Sun azimuth bearings of 136±1° at the time of the photo.
View attachment 10047
According to the Sun position calculation for Ottawa on 22 October, this corresponds to the time interval between 10:00 and 10:15 EDT:
View attachment 10049
So it looks like the picture has been taken after the shooting started.
So you're admitting that the sun was in on it, too? :cool: Nice work, Trailspotter...

BombDr

Senior Member.
But, wouldn't an actual false-flag look more professional? Wouldn't "they" make the CPR look legit rather than full of mistakes that could be "debunked" on Youtube?

Logic does not apply to a lot of Conspiracy Theorists though, unless it is warped logic:

Someone doing CPR incorrectly - possible causes:

1. Someone not trained in CPR
2. Someone acting under extreme stress
2. CRISIS ACTORS AS PART OF FALSE FLAG TO (Insert conspiracy of choice)

deirdre

Senior Member.
The actual positions (shown with purple lines) have been derived with the help of distinct ground features used for reference: the zebra crossing, the brick fence posts, the road markings ('turn left' arrow sign, dark spots, etc).
heres the posting link (from above claim) that shows someone getting a 8:18 time... but using a different sunshadow tool. maybe you can try that one too and see if maybe some of these programs are flawed..would be useful info.

he used suncalc.net

note: I find NO online source for this photo other than CT type blogs and this fb thread below, she seems to be saying her source (she originally uploaded this at 10:50ish on oct 22nd) is only 'claiming' he took the photo at 9:30. no proof was given as far as I can tell from the photo taker...that I can find anyway

so its kinda a "suncalculation program war" (ie which program is right)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...20610779.56929.100000354889246&type=1&theater
https://archive.today/UvFWe

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
heres the posting link (from above claim) that shows someone getting a 8:18 time... but using a different sunshadow tool. maybe you can try that one too and see if maybe some of these programs are flawed..would be useful info.

he used suncalc.net

note: I find NO online source for this photo other than CT type blogs and this fb thread below, she seems to be saying her source (she originally uploaded this at 10:50ish on oct 22nd) is only 'claiming' he took the photo at 9:30. no proof was given as far as I can tell from the photo taker...that I can find anyway

so its kinda a "suncalculation program war" (ie which program is right)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...20610779.56929.100000354889246&type=1&theater
https://archive.today/UvFWe
There is nothing wrong with the SunCalc tool this guy (Pat Jack) used, except it displays times in the user's local time by default.
This is how its results look for me:
Screen shot 2014-11-07 at 19.17.54.png
On the date of 22nd October my local time (BST) was 5 hours ahead of the Ottawa's time (EDT). So my SunCalc result of 15:04 BST is the same 10:04 EDT as in my analysis above. The guy's local time (CDT) was one hour behind the Ottawa's time. Also, he used a wrong date, October 24, that might affect the minute values of his estimate. And I have no idea about how he figured out the shadow directions, as it is not possible to zoom in the satellite image of this area on Google Maps, it switches to a tilted aerial image:
Screen shot 2014-11-07 at 19.43.01.png
If he had used this, the tilt would introduce a significant error.

PS From the guy's comment on FB, it looks like he got it wrong by about two hours; one hour probably came from a different time zone, the other could have come from the tilt of the aerial image:

Last edited:

Redwood

The person who put up the "shadow" YouTube has admitted he was wrong and taken down the video. () Like zombies, the claim is unkillable and still circulates on hard core crazy conspiracist YouTube sites like "Free Radio Revolution" which has at least 40 (!) videos up proclaiming it's a hoax, and I'm sure there'll be more.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
PS From the guy's comment on FB, it looks like he got it wrong by about two hours; one hour probably came from a different time zone, the other could have come from the tilt of the aerial image
There is another FB comment by Pat Jack, where he explained his method:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205184932693141&set=p.10205184932693141&type=1&theater

He started with Google Earth, as I did. He used the shadow from the same lamp post (one of the three I used) and got for it the same heading of 136°, as measured by GE ruler tool. This raises the question: why is his calculated time so different from my result? It can't be due to different calculation methods: people have been doing astronomical calculations for centuries and they known to be very accurate.

If Pat Jack had plotted this heading directly on SunCalc, as I did in my previous post by orienting the ORANGE line at 136° to the vertical (that is, to the North on the map), he would get the same time reading about 10:04 EDT, but displayed for him as 9:04 CDT. He knows that he is an hour off, but this is not "because the applet is not set for daylight savings time", it is because it shows the user's local time for a given date. However, his calculated time is about 45 minutes earlier. Why is it? Having followed his instructions, I've reproduced his result as best as I could to get the "estimated time" of 14:18 BST (9:18 EDT):
Screen shot 2014-11-08 at 09.26.08.png
Apparently, he switched to Satellite option to see the lamp post and road markings but ignored the fact that the ground became tilted when he zoomed in. The tilt subtracted about 11° from the actual shadow direction, or 45 minutes from the actual time. Just compare the angles between the white line and vertical edge of his Google Earth screenshot and between the orange line and vertical edge of my reproduction of his SunCalc application. The app is made for the map and "does not know" that ground was tilted.

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Redwood Debunked: Google photos show Ottawa Parliament bullet holes are fake Conspiracy Theories 115
Mick West Debunked: Pentagon has Evidence of "Off-World Vehicles Not Made on this Earth" UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 14
derrick06 Debunked: United Nations creates a "NWO" website Conspiracy Theories 2
N Debunked: Google Mail icon shows linkage to Freemasons Conspiracy Theories 4
Mendel Debunked: The WHO did not take the Taiwan CDC seriously Coronavirus COVID-19 0
A Why 9/11 Truthers Are Wrong About The Facts | (Part 1 w/ Mick West) 9/11 1
Mendel Debunked: Radar Waves Affect Clouds General Discussion 0
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
M Ufos arrive to the central zone of Chile. (Debunked). Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Jesse3959 FE Debunked with water tube level - 187 foot building 21.2 miles away below eye level Flat Earth 0
H Debunked: Cadillac Mountain from 220 miles Flat Earth 7
Jesse3959 FE Claim Debunked: JTolan Epic Gravity Experiment - Flat earther disproves Perspective! (or his instruments.) Flat Earth 0
Mick West Debunked: DoD prepares for martial law in CONUS: Conspiracy Theories 0
Oystein Debunked: AE911T: CNBC Anchor Ron Insana claims Building 7 a Controlled Implosion 9/11 13
A Debunked: NASA tampered with the original television audio of the Apollo 11 moon landing Conspiracy Theories 1
Greylandra Debunked: media headline "Judea declares war on Germany" [boycott] Conspiracy Theories 20
Mick West Discovery Channel's "Contact: Declassified Breakthrough" was debunked 2.5 years ago UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
Joe Hill Debunked: "The North Face of Building 7 Was Pulled Inward" 9/11 66
A Debunked : Fake Set Moon Landing with TV Camera and Stairs Conspiracy Theories 3
Mick West Debunked: Photo with Sun Rays at Odd Angles Flat Earth 0
Staffan Debunked: Wikileaks releases unused footage of moon landing (Capricorn One movie scenes) Conspiracy Theories 2
Mick West Debunked: Neil deGrasse Tyson : "That Stuff is Flat" Flat Earth 10
Mendel Debunked: Air Map of the World 1945 is a flat Earth map Flat Earth 0
Trailblazer Debunked: Trees being cut down "because they block 5G" (tree replacement in Belgium) 5G and Other EMF Health Concerns 44
deirdre Debunked: Exemption from military service doc proves Jews had foreknowledge of WW2 (fake leaflet) General Discussion 0
Trailblazer Debunked: Obama called Michelle "Michael" in a speech. (Referring to Michael Mullen Jr) Quotes Debunked 0
Rory Debunked: 120-mile shot of San Jacinto proves flat earth Flat Earth 39
Rory Debunked: The Lunar Cycle affects birth rates Health and Quackery 26
Rory Debunked: Study shows link between menstrual cycle and the moon Health and Quackery 30
novatron Debunked: California Wildfires Match the Exactly Path of the Proposed Rail System Wildfires 3
Rory Debunked: "You must love yourself before you love another" - fake Buddha quote Quotes Debunked 7
W Debunked: Qanon claims there have been 51k sealed indictments filed this year. Current Events 11
K Debunked: Audio of David Rockefeller "leaked" speech in 1991 [Audio Simulation] General Discussion 2
tadaaa Debunked: Fake photos-Novichok attack Russian 'agents' (side by side gates) General Discussion 34
Mick West Debunked: XYO Device Replacing GPS, Saving $2 Million a Day General Discussion 23
Mick West Debunked: "Tip Top" as a QAnon Clue from Trump [He's said it before] Conspiracy Theories 3
Whitebeard Debunked: Nibiru FOUND? Mysterious gigantic rogue planet spotted lurking outside our solar system Science and Pseudoscience 1
Mick West Debunked: "There Exists a Shadowy Government" — Daniel Inouye Quotes Debunked 0
Mick West Debunked: Delta Lambda Compression General Discussion 16
MisterB Debunked: Isle of Man from Blackpool at water level proves flat earth [refraction] Flat Earth 19
JFDee Debunked: Wernher von Braun confirmed that rockets can't leave earth Conspiracy Theories 23
Mick West Debunked: Missing $21 Trillion / $6.5 Trillion / $2.3 Trillion - Journal Vouchers Conspiracy Theories 33
MikeG Debunked: Obamacare Article 54 (Satire FB Page) General Discussion 2
Mick West Debunked: "Deadly Ultraviolet UV-C and UV-B Penetration to Earth’s Surface:" [Stray Light] Contrails and Chemtrails 30
Astro Debunked: Apollo Lunar Module Hatch Too Small for Spacesuit Science and Pseudoscience 0
Mick West Debunked: NIST's Lack of Explanation for WTC7 Freefall [They Have One - Column Buckling] 9/11 38
Jedo Debunked: WTC7 was the only building not on the WTC block that had a fire on 9/11 9/11 0
Mick West Debunked: Thermite Slag on WTC beams [Oxy Cutting Slag] 9/11 2
Mick West Debunked: The WTC 9/11 Angle Cut Column. [Not Thermite, Cut Later] 9/11 137
Mick West Debunked: AE911Truth's Analysis of Slag Residue from WTC Debris 9/11 20
Related Articles

Related Articles