Claim: Brazil "Night of the UFOs" and "Moment of Contact" film claims

derrick06

So an article came along my timeline from the oh so hyped Barstool Sports containing a clip with released audio featured in a recent documentary film "Moment of Contact" from a Brazilian fighter pilot confused over the sighting of apparently "a dozen UFOs" going approximately "11,500mph" over Sao Paulo in 1986

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog...in-an-encounter-with-a-dozen-ufos-over-brazil
The actual amount of audio is quite short and it goes along with the following,

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 2.13.20 AM.png
From here the film claims the events were viewed by "hundreds on the ground" and that the event is called the "Night of the UFOs". and was apparently discussed in a hearing at the Brazilian senate about UFO's in June of this year referencing an article from nypost

https://nypost.com/2022/06/23/brazilian-pilots-meet-11-500mph-craft-during-night-of-the-ufos/

The clip from the documentary referenced also states photos were taken from Brazilian Naval vessels of UFO's but they look very 50's sci/fi

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 2.14.48 AM.png

This leads me to two key questions.

1. Is there any previous discussion about this "Night of the UFO's" and how does the phenomenon described relate to more recent UFO from fighter jet sightings? Because this is from 1986 it would not be things like Starlink flares and such for example.

2. How do we know the photos shown in the clip from this documentary are actually from the Brazilian military?

I suppose the article/film don't really give any evidence but rather throw out some interesting claims. Is anyone else more aware of this particular incident or this documentary film in general?

So an article came along my timeline from the oh so hyped Barstool Sports containing a clip with released audio featured in a recent documentary film "Moment of Contact" from a Brazilian fighter pilot confused over the sighting of apparently "a dozen UFOs" going approximately "11,500mph" over Sao Paulo in 1986

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog...in-an-encounter-with-a-dozen-ufos-over-brazil
The actual amount of audio is quite short and it goes along with the following,

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 2.13.20 AM.png
From here the film claims the events were viewed by "hundreds on the ground" and that the event is called the "Night of the UFOs". and was apparently discussed in a hearing at the Brazilian senate about UFO's in June of this year referencing an article from nypost

https://nypost.com/2022/06/23/brazilian-pilots-meet-11-500mph-craft-during-night-of-the-ufos/

The clip from the documentary referenced also states photos were taken from Brazilian Naval vessels of UFO's but they look very 50's sci/fi

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 2.14.48 AM.png

This is a famous photo from the late 50s taken over an island off the coast of Brazil. I don't have time to look up the details, but I'm pretty sure it was a hoax.

You hit the nail in the head, time-wise. Pic is one of a series taken off Trindade Island in 1958.
Having trouble copy pasting on my phone, but here's a screenshot.

Screenshot_20221112-094314_Chrome.jpg
Source: http://www.project1947.com/shg/tom/bios_trindade.htm

I remembered seeing the pics in UFO books when I was in high school... good nostalgia moment.

@Topbunk 2.0 Haha that one is actually quite amusing. He used two spoons!
@Duke Your intuition was right.
How about that documentary "Point of Contact" Has anyone else seen the entire thing yet? I will probably eventually getting around to seeing the rest of the claims from it but I have seen it referenced on here on several occasions by other members. If anyone can address the first claim in this post or other claims from the film maybe we can address the film here.

@Topbunk 2.0 Haha that one is actually quite amusing. He used two spoons!
@Duke Your intuition was right.
How about that documentary "Point of Contact" Has anyone else seen the entire thing yet? I will probably eventually getting around to seeing the rest of the claims from it but I have seen it referenced on here on several occasions by other members. If anyone can address the first claim in this post or other claims from the film maybe we can address the film here.
More memory than intuition. I remember that "sighting" because it was one of, if not the, first "rings of Saturn" like UFO reports.

the film claims the events were viewed by "hundreds on the ground"
The James Fox film does not make this claim. The "hundreds on the ground" is editorial from the Sun article you link to
Hundreds of witnesses are reported to have seen the objects

The 1958 Barauna photos and the supposed 1986 "Night of the UFOs" are different events but get mentioned in a section of Fox's film called "A brief history" which, in typical James Fox fashion, elides a number of different cases over many years to imply coherence.

What Fox does do (in the Tweet, in the article you link to) is juxtapose archive footage of the pilot Lt Marinho talking about the 1986 event with the photos from 1958 event but without mentioning the different year. The impression given is that they are concurrent. They are not.

If you want to learn more about the declassified Brazilian gov cases go to them directly.
https://www.gov.br/en/government-of-brazil/latest-news/2022/official-ufo-night-in-brazil

Last edited:
I remember that "sighting" because it was one of, if not the, first "rings of Saturn" like UFO reports.
And allegedly faked it using a couple of spoons stuck together, as has been alluded to above.
On august 15th, the TV show Fantástico, by Rede Globo TV, located and interviewed a friend of Baraúna’s family, the publicist Emilia Bittencourt.

She said that she heard from Baraúna, 34 years after the event, the confirmation that his photos were just a joke. "I had the opportunity to visit him 18 years ago, in Saquarema (RJ), and he told me how the story was made. He was on the Navy ship around the Trindade Island and began to look to the sky and say, \'Look there an object, what is it, something flying\'. When he got home, he decided to make a joke. He grabbed two kitchen metal spoons, put them together, and made a spaceship. He used the backdrop of the refrigerator in his house and lit a lamp. He calculated the time and precisely where the source of light came from. He was very precise, very smart. Then, from there on, he managed to enlarge a photo of the flying saucer, which had as its background the Trindade Island and the two spoons that would be the spacecraft. That\'s how he made the fraud of the photos". According to Emilia, Baraúna was amused to remember the facts and laughed a lot at the whole episode.

It is interesting that after this fake image come out, the Rings of Saturn UFO becomes a thing for awhile. I think it is unlikely the aliens liked the look of the picture and started building similar spaceships (later deciding that triangles were much cooler, and most recently switching over to tick-tacks!) The alternative explanation might be that hoaxers follow the popular trend, and people making mistaken observations do the same.

Back