Amazon bans SH conspiracy book

deirdre

Senior Member.
o_OClaim:

James Fetzer, James Tracy, and a few other PHd holders, collaborated on a thoroughly debunked "book" called "Nobody died at Sandy Hook". "Creative space" approved this book to be sold on Amazon Oct. 22,2015 and on November 20 2015, it was removed from Amazon.

I'm not going to debunk the claim
because you can't prove a negative, esp a negative presented with no evidence.

But i would like to point out that even if Amazon was a hoaxer-supporter, they would have to remove the book. I lost count how many photo copyright infringements are contained within it and on it's cover.

While some of the photos have restrictions such as:
corbisrestrictions.PNG

The example i chose to use (because it's not of people, children or stolen death certificate images) located on page 81 of Fetzers now free PDF book version, has the restrictions stated as:
corbisdemorestrictions.PNG
http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-p...al-photo-showing-demolition-work-near?popup=1

This is Fetzers version from page 81:
p81.PNG

Now the thing about selling (commercial use) a book with illegal photos is - it's illegal. Amazon would have no choice to remove the book from their website once they became aware of these infringement issues. Just as Mick will have to remove my above photo if the license holder does not approve it's use.

Fetzer claims Amazon would not tell him WHY the book was removed. This of course may be true, but Fetzer did decided to immediately offer his book for free, rather than sell it on his website or other conspiracy sites.

I'd also like to note that Amazon does carry Fetzer's other "evil government" conspiracy books still.

Some additional info on "editorial use" of licensed photos (not to imply he actually bought a license for any of the photos used, i have no idea):

bold added by me.

and just because it is weird as all get out... he even used Micks snip (page 166) from the FBI debunk thread! o_O
I mean seriously how hard is it to snip your own snip?
gg.PNG

Last edited:

Efftup

Senior Member.
anything and everything is apparently proof of conspiracy to a certain kind of thinker. Like you said though, if the same author;s other conspiracy and anti government books are still available, it seems a little odd. Maybe he should have asked them to see if they would provide a reason.

deirdre

Senior Member.
anything and everything is apparently proof of conspiracy to a certain kind of thinker. Like you said though, if the same author;s other conspiracy and anti government books are still available, it seems a little odd. Maybe he should have asked them to see if they would provide a reason.
i would think it would be illegal.. no? for them not to provide an answer. it would be discrimination. he should sue.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Now the thing about selling (commercial use) a book with illegal photos is - it's illegal. Amazon would have no choice to remove the book from their website once they became aware of these infringement issues. Just as Mick will have to remove my above photo if the license holder does not approve it's use.
Although Metabunk is not a commercial site (it makes no money), which gives a bit more leeway for fair use. Selling a book that contains the images is another matter.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Some possibly relevant bits from the CreateSpace guidelines:
https://www.createspace.com/Help/Rights/ContentGuidelines.jsp
i would think it would be illegal.. no? for them not to provide an answer. it would be discrimination. he should sue.
Since they reserve the right to make the decision, they are legally free to do it on a whim. (and they don't even need to state they reserve the right, that's just fair warning).

deirdre

Senior Member.
Although Metabunk is not a commercial site (it makes no money), which gives a bit more leeway for fair use. Selling a book that contains the images is another matter.
yea commercial use is completely prohibited without approval.

But when i click to price the photo (and i did not purchase it :oops:... i snipped it from Fetzers book), wouldnt this pricing apply to MB also?. Provided the copyright owner cares, or would this fall under "educational" ??

buy.PNG

JRBids

Senior Member.
I suppose if someone wanted to complain it COULD applybut this type of forum would be a grey area. Look at how many times people's FB pages have photos removed because of copyright, and most are not selling anything. I used to work on obtaining permissions for publishers for print and internet use so as far as that goes there are strict guidelines. In a forum it probably has to do with whether or not the photographer agrees with you.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
People complaining about copyright violations on Metabunk are rare. The most common complaint (and that's only a handful) is lack of attribution (i.e. a link to the photographer's site, and some text like "photo by Joe Blue"). Pretty much all usages are educational, non-commercial, and/or criticism/research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
A fuller reading of the Fair Use factors would indicate that deidre's use of the demolition photo above is a near-perfect example of the something that would be considered fair use (if anything it's a free ad for Corbis). Fetzer's use is commercial and unattributed, so it is much harder to argue.

deirdre

Senior Member.
I suppose if someone wanted to complain it COULD applybut this type of forum would be a grey area. Look at how many times people's FB pages have photos removed because of copyright, and most are not selling anything. I used to work on obtaining permissions for publishers for print and internet use so as far as that goes there are strict guidelines. In a forum it probably has to do with whether or not the photographer agrees with you.
i guess i need to try harder to add the credit to pics i use. so often in published MSM the credits arent on the pics although they are pretty easy to find for the most part with time.

But quick question, you probably never ever ran into this situation.. the Connecticut Investigation report has thousands of photos that are used everywhere in "CT circles" (including here). I figure since the police photographer gets paid by tax money those pics belong to all of us. :) any idea if that is true? or should i be crediting the photographer on those too?

add: hhmmm... actually that would have prevented a big Fetzer faux-pas he continues to talk about all over youtube etc. Apparently some guy "allan Powell" sent him hundreds of photos (proving the police set up the crime scenes is the bunk), Powell told Fetzer he received the photos from a [source close to the investigation who wanted to expose SH]. But in actuality, they are police photos in the official report that came available 2 years ago. I believe Fetzer honestly doesnt know this and believed his source. Would have been helpful if the police photos had a marker on them. but they dont.

add2: adding the link to police photo archive in case people reading dont know where they are. http://cspsandyhookreport.ct.gov/

Last edited:

TheRevWells

It would seem to me that since he does have other books on Amazon, maybe this book was done the way it was, so that it would become flagged by Amazon and then removed and by them doing so, one could say to the world - Look, see, its all a conspiracy. My book telling the truth has been censored. They do not want no one to know the truth, etc etc etc...but that is how I see all of this in my own opinion. I do not want to say that is what he did do, but it could be a possibility in order to garner outrage from those in the CT community and in doing so, "verifies" to others in the CT community what they have said, in the past, about cover ups, censorship, etc.

deirdre

Senior Member.
It would seem to me that since he does have other books on Amazon, maybe this book was done the way it was, so that it would become flagged by Amazon and then removed and by them doing so, one could say to the world - Look, see, its all a conspiracy. My book telling the truth has been censored. They do not want no one to know the truth, etc etc etc...but that is how I see all of this in my own opinion. I do not want to say that is what he did do, but it could be a possibility in order to garner outrage from those in the CT community and in doing so, "verifies" to others in the CT community what they have said, in the past, about cover ups, censorship, etc.
It's very possible Amazon chose to take it down due to title (offensiveness) but I don't think the authors purposefully made the book to be in violation. I think as 'bloggers' they really believed they could write the book as is. For instance this Preston guy came up with the title previously

dg.JPG

And this could just be an anomalous coincidence:

In rather unFetzerlike fashion, Mr. Fetzer in a recent article goes out of his way to mention not violating copyright.

all bold highlights mine.

He (or his entourage) has also opened his own website November 25th to sell the book.
http://moonrockbooks.com/?page_id=96

So if that site gets taken down or he gets sued, we'll know for sure if he didnt have copyright permissions. (And of course, I am going to alert the photo owners :) especially Getty and Corbis, now that I know they post-charge people who use their photos without permission.)

Which wouldnt prove Amazon's reasons for removal fo course. It is a bit odd that Infowars removed an article stating that Amazon banned the book. Were they afraid of libel against Amazon? Unlike in Fetzer's book, Info wars DID add the CSP copyright tag to the photo they chose to use. page snag link
iw.PNG

I'm just adding some amazon things for reference sake

According to the Memory Hole by James Tracy, purchased kindle versions of the book were removed by Amazon from customers accounts as well. This is most likely true as Amazon has done it before

Not sure if HE chose to remove his book from Amazon, if that would remove already purchased copies.

I still personally believe he got taken down for copyright infringement. But time will tell i guess.
I am not an expert in copyright law, this is a novice opinion going through the 'book' quickly:

copyright issues vs. Fair Use.
**there may be more, i was OVERLY generous in my interpretation of Fair Use and on "not libel". I did not consider any CSP owned photos an infringement of copright if there was too much text to read. (mostly because i didnt want to read the boring text to see if they were)

***many photos are property of Corbis,Reuters and Getty Images, which i hear very often BILL people for the illegal use of their photos. :)

Back Cover: right to privacy guidelines for schools and schoolchildren on school grounds.
Title: doesnt meet amazon guidelines.

all 6 photos on Cover dont meet fair use. copyright infringement.

copyright issues that dont meet Fair Use. in FREE PDF. (the PDF version doesnt include the book covers)
pg 9. copyright violation.
pg 12. possible CR infringement against hoaxer.
pg 14 possible copyright, full article.
pg 15. copyright infringment. and of children.
pg 19 copyright infringement.
pg 23 copyright infringement.

pag27+28 Lible 12 counts.

pg 30. Lible.

pg34 copyright infringement
pg 47 possible copyright infringemnt.
pg 48 copyright infringement (i'm not telling why :)
pg 52 copyright infringement.

pg60 copyright infringement (is a csp photo, but no text to read really)
pg 62 copyright infringement

pg66 multiple copyright infrngement
pg 68 and 69 copyright infringement csp photos.
pg 70 copyright infringement

pg75 libel. (multiple)
pg76. libel
pg78 Libel.Libel. Libel.

pg79 copyright infringement. Libel.
pg 80 2 copyright infringements.

pg81 copyright infringement
pg82 copyright infringement

pg82 +83 Libel

pg87 copyright infringement
pg 101 copyright infringement
pg111 copyright infringement
pg 117 copyright infringement

then i got bored...the book is 426 pages... but i think you get the point.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
BlueCollarCritic Just Like Gun Bans, Forced Smart Meters Is Just Bunk Right? Conspiracy Theories 19
Agent K Ghislaine Maxwell was arrested in New Hampshire Current Events 7
A Why 9/11 Truthers Are Wrong About The Facts | (Part 1 w/ Mick West) 9/11 1
Mick West Discussing 5G EMF Concerns, Theories, and Conspiracy Theories 5G and Other EMF Health Concerns 15
JFDee 9/11 Conspiracy Idea Slipped into Academic Course Material (France) 9/11 8
Mick West TFTRH #33 – Anthony Magnabosco: Street Epistemology and Conspiracy Theories Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 1
Mick West TFTRH #31: Professor Elizabeth Loftus – Memory and Conspiracy Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 6
Mick West TFTRH #15: Brad - Math vs. Conspiracy Theories Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 21
Mick West TFTRH #13: Professor David Keith – Geoengineering Research and the Chemtrails Conspiracy Theory Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
Marin B Facebook moderators believing in conspiracy theories Conspiracy Theories 4
Critical Thinker Russia's role in promoting conspiracy theories General Discussion 20
Rory The Conspiracy Theory Spectrum Practical Debunking 12
Mick West Conspiracy Theory or "Devil Theory" of Politics Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Alex Jones Deplatforming and Related Conspiracy Theories Current Events 49
Mick West Paper: How paranoid are conspiracy believers? Practical Debunking 21
Mick West Eruption of Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii – Conspiracies and Science Current Events 34
Mick West Perspective on the popularity of conspiracy theories. Practical Debunking 23
Leifer The Where's Waldo game, and the Conspiracy version. General Discussion 15
qed Roy Moore yearbook signature faked? Conspiracy Theories 111
M Bornong Can Belief in Chemtrails and/or other Conspiracy Theories Lead to Violence? Contrails and Chemtrails 4
G Applications of Game Theory to Assessing the Plausibility of Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 1
skephu Solar geoengineering and the chemtrails conspiracy on social media Contrails and Chemtrails 3
DannyBoy2k Are There Any Professional Groups Rebutting 9/11 Conspiracy Theories? 9/11 13
Mick West Explained: Unburned trees next to burned down structures as evidence of secret "energy weapons" Wildfires 119
Cube Radio What British Muslims think about 9/11 Conspiracy Theories 9/11 26
ZoomBubba Las Vegas Massacre - Surveillance Footage? Conspiracy Theories 115
Mick West Debunked: Hurricane Harvey, Project Stormfury, Conspiracy Theories Current Events 40
Mick West Dylan Avery - Director of the 9/11 Conspiracy Film "Loose Change" Escaping The Rabbit Hole 2
Mick West Hurricane Harvey. Cat 4. Major flooding. Conspiracy Theories. Current Events 10
Mick West Consensus Messaging vs. Message Targeting in Science Communication Practical Debunking 16
Mick West 2016 Berlin Truck Attack Conspiracy Theories Current Events 13
Mick West Current Events Forum Guidelines Current Events 0
skephu Changing Conspiracy Beliefs through Rationality and Ridiculing Practical Debunking 25
Marin B Garrett Graff : "Bungling" is a more likely explanation for government conspiracy theories Conspiracy Theories 7
Dick Holman How many people follow multiple conspiracy theories? Practical Debunking 12
Jay Reynolds New Dutch paper Analyzes how Conspiracy Theorists see themselves Conspiracy Theories 3
Mick West Conspiracy? Trump Repeating Falsely Attributed Quote from Russian Media. Conspiracy Theories 26
txt29 Conspiracy Theory: No blood on truck in Nice Conspiracy Theories 34
qed On Skeptoid's definition of Conspiracy Theory General Discussion 15
Mick West When Absence of Evidence is Evidence of Absence in Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 35
endoplasmic_reticulum Debunked: iPhone in 350-year-old painting [Letter, Tim Cook was Joking, Obviously] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
MikeG Body Armor Order Indicates Major Military Deployments Conspiracy Theories 1
Whitebeard Manchester Terror Drill and bad reporting. General Discussion 1
Mick West Explained: Head Of The Army Admits to "Little Green Men" [Covert Russian Agents] Conspiracy Theories 7
Mick West Vice: 'It Was Like a Cult': Leaving the World of Online Conspiracy Theories Escaping The Rabbit Hole 4
Mackdog Justice Scalia death: No autopsy as evidence of conspiracy Conspiracy Theories 15
deirdre Zika Virus: News, microcephaly and conspiracy theories Health and Quackery 14
MikeG Giant Snowflakes [Rimed Dendrites] Contrails and Chemtrails 24
Critical Thinker Fareed Zakaria: An angry victim of the Internet misinformation websites, speaks out Practical Debunking 11
Mick West Pete Santilli's Malheur (Burns, Oregon) FBI False Flag Conspiracy Theory Conspiracy Theories 4
Related Articles

Related Articles