Claim: CIA Spy Planes Account for Over 1/2 of all UFO Reports in the '50s and '60s in the US

NorCal Dave

Senior Member.
This subject came up on other threads as part of a larger discussion concerning misinformation and coverups with regard to the US government and UFOs. Unfortunately, it got jumbled up in 1 or 2 other threads and was somewhat off topic. It was an interesting discussion, and one I would like to start a thread on in the future, unless someone else does first.

One of the arguments was that the CIA's use of classified spy planes accounted for over 1/2 of the reported UFO sightings in the '50s and '60s and in turn forced the USAF into lying or giving out misinformation to cover for these classified planes. Whether or not the USAF was untruthful of duplicitous is for another thread, but as for the claim of over 1/2 the UFOs being CIA planes, I thought I'd look into it.

Just for background, aviation buffs can skip over, for the time period we're talking about, mid 20th century, there are 2-3 CIA spy planes.

There is the Lockheed U2 Dragon Lady developed as Project Aquitaine in the mid '50s with the goal of overflying the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe. Though designed and built at the Lockheed "Skunk Works" in Burbank CA, it needed a secret place to be assembled and tested which lead to the creation of Groom Lake/Area 51 in Nevada.

It can be thought of as big jet powered glider with very high-tech for the time cameras. It could fly at ~410mph and an altitude of 80,000' which was believed to be beyond the range of Soviet radar and even if partially detected, beyond the range of the Sovit Surface to Air Missiles (SAMs) and interceptors allowing it to violate Soviet air space and take pictures. Pretty brazen when one looks back at it.

1690297435521.png

Several U2s made a number of overflights of Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union in the late '50s until one piloted by Gary Powers was shot down in 1960. Modernized versions of the U2 are still used today, over 65 years after they were first flown.

The shoot down in 1960 prompted the CIA to look for an even higher and much faster flying aircraft with a smaller radar cross section. Known as Project Oxcart it resulted in the Lockheed A12 which was also built by the Skunk Works and tested at Area 51. The A12 was capable of Mach 3.3 at an altitude of 85,000'. First flown in 1962, they stopped flying in 1966 and were decommissioned in 1968 to be replaced with the similar but slightly larger version was known as the SR71 Blackbird and is what most people are familiar with today.

1690299020877.png

The SR71 Blackbird was officially retired in 1998.

Originally shared by @tobigtofool, was this paywalled NYT article from 1997. Luckly @deirdre found a Wayback version for us:

https://web.archive.org/web/2023060...mits-government-lied-about-ufo-sightings.html

The story is by William Broad and gives some background to CIA spy flights:

While commercial airliners int he 1950's flew at altitudes of up to 30,000 feet, the U-2 soared to more than 60,000 feet and the SR-71 to more than 80,000 feet, or 15 miles, nearly the edge of space.

Rather than acknowledgeing the existence of the top-secret flights or saying nothing about them publicly, the Air Force decided to put out false cover stories, the C.I.A. study says. For instance, unusual observations that were actually spy flights were attributed to atmospheric phenomena like ice crystals and temperature inversions.
Content from External Source
The relevant quote then follows:

''Over half of all U.F.O. reports from the late 1950's through the 1960's were accounted for by manned reconnaissance flights'' over the United States, the C.I.A. study says. ''This led the Air Force to make misleading and deceptive statements to the public in order to allay public fears and to protect an extraordinarily sensitive national security project.''
And is attributed to a CIA study by Gerald Haines:

The study, ''C.I.A.'s Role in the Study of U.F.O.'s. 1947-90,'' was written by Gerald K. Haines and appears in Studies of Intelligence, a secret Central Intelligence Agency journal. Five years ago, the agency began releasing unclassified versions of the journal yearly. The 1997 edition, with the study on unidentified objects, is at http://www.odci. ogv/csi/studies/97unclas/ on the World Wide Web.
The link in the Wayback article is long broken and only takes one to the CIA homepage. However, with a bit of searching I tracked down the original study:

https://www.cia.gov/static/cia-role-study-UFOs.pdf

It reads less like a study and more like a history of the CIA's relation to UFOs, which makes sense giving what it was written for. As noted above, it appeared in Studies in Intelligence, a CIA periodical since 1955, with this as a giving mission statement:

The mission of Studies in Intelligence is to stimulate within the Intelligence Community the constructive discussion of important issues of the day, to expand knowledge of lessons learned from past experiences, to increase understanding of the history of the profession, and to provide readers with considered reviews of public media concerning intelligence. The journal is administered by the Center for the Study of Intelligence, which includes the CIA’s History Staff, Lessons Learned and Emerging Trends Programs, and the CIA Museum.
https://www.cia.gov/static/dce5fdfdd711572e69c678bae6c19abb/Studies-67-2-Extracts-June2023.pdf

In the study the author makes 2 claims relevant here, first that UFO sighting went up with the introduction of the U2 (this is from a PDF that does not copy well, I tried to clean it up after pasting but some things may look wonky):

In November 1954, CIA had entered into the world of high technology with its U-2 overhead reconnaissance project. Working with Lockheeds Advanced Development facility in Burbank, California, known as the Skunk Works, and Kelly Johnson, an eminent aeronautical engineer, the Agency by August 1955 was testing ahigh-altitude experimental aircraft the U-2. It could fly at 60,000 feet; in the mid-1950s, most commercial airliners flew between 10,000 feet and 20,000 feet. Consequently, once the U-2 started test flights, commercial pilots and air traffic controllers began reporting a large increase in UFO sightings.44
Secondly, the already quoted claim of over 1/2 the sightings being caused by spy planes:

According to later estimates from CIA officials who worked on the U2 project and the OXCART (SR-71, or Blackbird) project, over half of all UFO reports from the late 1950s through the I960s were accounted for by manned reconnaissance flights (namely the U-2) over the UnitedStates.45
So, this is the source of the quote in the NYT article, and it appeared in other places I found including a MUFON article about it. But what is Haines source for the claims? The above quotes are footnoted 44, and 45 which leads to:

44. See Gregory W. Pedlow and DonaldE. Welzenbach, The Central Intelligence Agency and Overhead Reconnaissance. The U-2 and OXCART Programs, 1954-1974(Washington, DC: CIA History Staff,1992), pp. 72-73.
45. See Pedlow and Welzenbach, Overhead Reconnaissance, pp. 72-73. This also was confirmed in a telephone interview between the author and John Parongosky, 26 July 1994. Parongosky oversaw the day-to-day affairs of the OXCART program.
This leads to yet another CIA publication from 1992 which I tracked down here:

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000190094.pdf

This is a non-copiable pdf, so screen shots are needed. I'll just post the complete relevant passages in full, which the Haines article seems to quote almost verbatim:

1690248218006.png
1690248276547.png

Though a bit hard to read, the main claim is footnoted 49 which is at the bottom of the page:

1690249238436.png

So, if we take the 2 primary sources for this claim, we have John Parongoski and James Cunningham saying the U2 and the Oxcart/A12/SR71 accounted for over 1/2 of all UFO sightings in the US in the late '50s and '60s. In the case of Parongoski, this seems to be a recollection offered over the phone in 1994, or 30+ years after the fact.

This also was confirmed in a telephone interview between the author and John Parongosky, 26 July 1994. Parongosky oversaw the day-to-day affairs of the OXCART program.
Also note that in the Haines article the U2 is credited with the majority of UFO sightings:

...accounted for by manned reconnaissance flights (namely the U-2) over the UnitedStates.
But Parongoski worked on the later Oxcart program, how much operational info did he have about the U2 project to make this assertion?

In all these claims, no numbers are ever giving or reported, though some numbers are available. According to Project Blue Book, between 1947 and 1969 there were 12,618 sightings that they worked on:

From 1947 to 1969, the Air Force investigated Unidentified Flying Objects under Project Blue Book. The project, headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, was terminated on December 17, 1969. Of a total of 12,618 sightings reported to Project Blue Book, 701 remained "unidentified."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Blue_Book

Breaking it down by years is a little tough, but the claim is that sightings increased once the U2 started flying. If Bluebook handled 12,618 sightings in a 22 year period, that's an average of ~573 sightings a year. The U2 started flying in 1955 and the A12/Oxcart started flying in 1962:

Article 341 was the original U-2 prototype, and it never received a USAF serial.[63] The first flight took place at Groom Lake on 1 August 1955, during what was intended to be only a high-speed taxi test
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_U-2

After development and production at the Skunk Works, in Burbank, California, the first A-12 was transferred to Groom Lake test facility (Area 51).[14] On 25 April 1962 it was taken on its first (unofficial and unannounced) flight with Lockheed test pilot Louis Schalk at the controls
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_A-12

Just going with the average of 573 sightings per year we would get 8022 sightings between '55 and '69. If we are to go with the increase in sightings claimed after the U2 started flying that could be up to 10,000 sightings I suppose. But sticking with the 8022 figures, that would put "over 1/2 of the sightings" somewhere north of 4011.

The Wiki page for the A12 says there were a total of 18 aircraft built and they made 2,850 test flights, presumably between 1964 and their retirement in 1966:

In June 1964, the last A-12 was delivered to Groom Lake,[22] from where the fleet made a total of 2,850 test flights.[21] A total of 18 aircraft were built through the program's production run.
The source for that is a paywalled LAT article from the Arts and Entertainment section by Annie Jacobsen. As I've noted in other threads, Jacobsen's book on the history of Area 51 is considered fairly accurate when discussing the U2 and A12 programs, before it goes off the rails and suggests ex-Nazis helped Stalin create/breed hideous dwarf humans to pilot small flying saucers. So, I guess will go with 2,850 for now:

21 Jacobsen, Annie. "The Road to Area 51." Los Angeles Times, 5 April 2009.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_A-12

So, using the average of 573 sightings per year for the 2+ year period of '64-'66 that would be 1146 total sightings 1/2 of which is back to 573 and there were 2,850 test flights of the A12. So, only a 1/4 of those test flight could account for 1/2 of the UFO sightings, at least for that 2-year period. And that assumes pilots can actually "see" an A12. They were often at 80,000'+ and cruised at Mach 3.

Now does that extrapolate out to more than 4000 sightings between '55 and '69? I don't know.

By the late '50s the U2 was not completely unknown. It had been staged in the UK, Turkey, West Germany and Tiwan, in secret, but it's a big black glider like plane and hard to hide. Its cover story was that it was a weather research plane, something Israeli pilots thought when they intercepted one in 1959 (bold by me):

On 11 March 1959, two Israeli Super Mystère fighters were directed to intercept a U-2 detected over Israel by Israeli ground-based radar. Although the aircraft were unable to make an intercept, the formation leader, Major Yosef Alon, managed to get a good look at the aircraft. He subsequently identified it out of a book as a U-2, registered as a weather reconnaissance aircraft to the US Weather Service. On 22 July 1959, after an overflight was detected, an Israeli Air Force Vautour jet was deployed to photograph the mysterious aircraft. The Vautour came within visual range and the U-2 was successfully photographed. In spite of this, it was not until the 1960 shootdown of a U-2 over the Soviet Union and its subsequent public exposure as a spy plane that the Israeli government understood the identity of the mystery aircraft.[81][82][70]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_U-2

It's just the fact that it was spy plane that was concealed.

The numbers suggest that the central claim is plausible, but no numbers are giving to support it. Giving that the main source is ultimately 2 guys telling some CIA writers that this is what they thought in the '90s, I think a bit of hyperbole might be involved. It's very likely that the U2 and A12/SR71 accounted for a number of UFO sightings during their development, testing, training, and deployment. But after the 1960 shootdown, the U2 already known as a weather research plane, was outed. Pilots were increasingly aware that the US had high flying capabilities. As far as accounting for over 4000 sightings in a 15 year period, I'm not so sure, but maybe?

Attachments

• 1690249837175.png
    1690249837175.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 69
Oh doggone it, we have too many overlapping threads for me to find an earlier post I did on the subject, but I pointed out the discrepancy between different quotes on the subject. The oft-repeated one is "Half the UFOs are our spy planes", but one (that I suspect may be the source) gives the much more believable statement "Half our spy planes have been called UFOs". Those two statements are obviously not equivalent, as in one case the "half" refers to sightings and in the other it refers to planes, but it's an easy transposition to make, especially by those who either scan it quickly or are not well versed in statistics.

The numbers suggest that the central claim is plausible, but no numbers are giving to support it. Giving that the main source is ultimately 2 guys telling some CIA writers that this is what they thought in the '90s, I think a bit of hyperbole might be involved.
sorry if i missed it, a very long OP..how many 'normal people' reports are in Project Blue book vs say pilots. Mostly im thinking how would normal people back then even know where to report a sighting..so it kinda makes sense to me anyway that pilots or people who live around military bases would be the primary reporters as they would have some idea who to report to.

??

Oh doggone it, we have too many overlapping threads for me to find an earlier post I did on the subject, but I pointed out the discrepancy between different quotes on the subject. The oft-repeated one is "Half the UFOs are our spy planes", but one (that I suspect may be the source) gives the much more believable statement "Half our spy planes have been called UFOs". Those two statements are obviously not equivalent, as in one case the "half" refers to sightings and in the other it refers to planes, but it's an easy transposition to make, especially by those who either scan it quickly or are not well versed in statistics.
this thread is only about this claim..hard to find in a wall of blue quotes i know.
1690312535963.png

side test [bunk]just seeing if this tag still works[/bunk]

I would not be at all surprised if some UFO reports from the 50s and 60s were due to U2 or other high altitude craft. But I think the claim of 'half' is almost certainly nonsense, because UFO reports are generally highly varied...with a wide range of distances, craft shape and size, time of day, etc. The likelihood that half of all UFO reports were high altitude spy planes seen by pilots is pretty small, when one considers the 12,600 cases reported to Project Blue Book...in which even a casual glance shows most cases do not match that signature.

sorry if i missed it, a very long OP..how many 'normal people' reports are in Project Blue book vs say pilots. Mostly im thinking how would normal people back then even know where to report a sighting..so it kinda makes sense to me anyway that pilots or people who live around military bases would be the primary reporters as they would have some idea who to report to.

??
Yeah, good question. When the claim is made "1/2 of all UFO sightings", there is no source or even a number of sightings giving. The article talks about Project Bluebook having to check with the U2/A12 project to cross reference sightings with flights, so I used the Bluebook numbers. I'm not really sure if it was only military and pilot UFOs that were investigated, it seems they looked into a number of cases from civilian sightings.

There were a variety of civilian UFO clubs and organizations that also collected sightings some of which eventually morphed into NICAP, APRO and MUFON among others. They would have had their own collection of UFO sighting with a number of them presumably crossing over with Bluebook, but it would suggest the number of 12,000 could have been much more.

I also found that in 1953 the USAF started a separate investigation group that took more sensitive cases. Maybe this is where cases of the spy planes being seen ended up:

The same month, investigative duties started to be taken on by the newly formed 4602nd Air Intelligence Squadron (AISS) of the Air Defense Command. The 4602nd AISS was assigned the task of investigating only the most important UFO cases with intelligence or national security implications. These cases were deliberately siphoned away from Blue Book, leaving Blue Book to deal with the more trivial reports.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Blue_Book

My suggestion in the earlier thread was that 1/2 of all unexplained UFO reports may have been caused by spy planes and reconnaissance plane testing.

According to Gerald Haines in the article quoted earlier;
https://sgp.fas.org/library/ciaufo.html#rft45
The percentage of what the Air Force considered unexplained UFO sightings fell to 5.9 percent in 1955 and to 4 percent in 1956

So in 1956, 96% of UFO sightings already had explanations according to the USAF. I do not imagine that the fraction of explained sightings would change suddenly because of the launch of reconnaissance planes; approximately the same phenomena would be mistaken for alien spacecraft in 1957 as in 1956.

It seems very reasonable to believe that John Parongoski and James Cunningham intended this statistic only to refer to unexplained UFOs, but by carelessness or imprecision, they instead stated that 50% or more of all UFOs were caused by U2 and OXCART, a ridiculous assertion.

Half of all unexplained sightings (4%) would be only 2% of all sightings. This is a significantly different proposition, and may conceivably be true,.

Perhaps.
We really don't have much data to confirm this. It sounds more like a back-of-the-envelope calculation rather than a reliable estimate.

It seems very reasonable to believe that John Parongoski and James Cunningham intended this statistic only to refer to unexplained UFOs, but by carelessness or imprecision, they instead stated that 50% or more of all UFOs were caused by U2 and OXCART, a ridiculous assertion.
We really don't have much data to confirm this. It sounds more like a back-of-the-envelope calculation rather than a reliable estimate.

If nothing else, for me this was a good exercise in sourcing and how what seems to be a good source is actually much more amorphous than it appeared.

It started as a quote in the NYT which most people put above British tabloids and Fox News. The Times was quoting a CIA study, so that seemed legit. But it turned out the source for the CIA study was another CIA study and a 30 year old recollection from a single person told over the phone. And that other CIA study that was 1/2 of the source seemed to be doing the same thing, getting a 30 recollection from a single guy.

What is presented as a solid researched claim, was in fact the opinion and memories of 2 guys, 30 years after the events took place.

IF (and this is a big if when dealing with Jacobson, but presumably she got these hard numbers from records) Jacobson's number of 2,850 test flights for Project Oxcart are correct and these took place over a few years, Parongoski was a very busy guy back then. There where a total of 18 A12s so that's an average of over 150 flights per plane. He would have had multiple planes in the air at a time then cycling them through maintenance and all with a radically new and advanced design aircraft.

One can imagine the phone conversation 30 years later:

Haines: "Mr. Parongoski, I understand you were in charge of flights for Project Oxcart?"

Parongoski:"Yes I was, we had these new fangled planes up in the sky all the time, thousands of flights. I was busy as hell and everything was classified and top secret."

Haines: " I read in a CIA report that according to a John Cunningham, the U2 may have accounted for over 1/2 of all UFO reports during it's testing and deployment."

Parongoski: "By God I'd think so. I bet all the A12's I was juggling in the sky accounted for over 1/2 of the UFO sightings, certainly in the mid '60s."

Haines hangs up and writes in his notebook: "Parongoski confirms earlier CIA study saying over 1/2 of all UFO reports are caused by spy planes."

One day in the 1970s, a friend and I were at play in his yard when we looked up and spotted an unusual, never-before-seen (by us) black, triangular aircraft moving through clouds at high altitude. Thanks to mine and my friend's military aviation family backgrounds (his dad came out and watched it with us), it was determined the craft was likely a subsonic SR-71 Blackbird descending to a nearby (130 miles away -- nearby for a Blackbird) air force base.

For years I've always wondered about that, since the base it was headed to was not an operations hub for the Blackbird. But I was sure it was a Blackbird. Well... Google just landed me on a 2011 Blackbird forum discussion where a retired airman from the base in question delightfully recounted the time a Blackbird had an in-flight emergency and diverted to land at this base... in the 1970s. :)

we looked up and spotted an unusual, never-before-seen (by us) black, triangular aircraft moving through clouds at high altitude.

Had you parents not had an inkling what it was, it could have remained a "Black Triangle UFO" sighting.

I saw one once back in the '90s when they were still active, and I was living in Sacramento. Driving along I80 and there it was heading north! Certainly looked unique. I don't know if it was going to land at one of the Sacramento air bases (now decommissioned) or was heading to its home base at Beal AFB where U2s still operate out of.

1692288102294.png

Had you parents not had an inkling what it was, it could have remained a "Black Triangle UFO" sighting.
Indeed. I connected a few dots in the days & years after this sighting, dismissing all the stories I'd read about cigar shaped and triangular UFOs.

My Navy pilot brother once told me about a suspicious high speed, high altitude radar contact one of his buddy's at-sea unit dealt with. I'm not certain of the time frame, but the description he gave me sure sounded like a Blackbird overflight -- and the unit was indeed advised to let the contact pass.

Back