Operation Paperclip etymology

I understand the book you're referencing, that's not my point. I'm saying I have not actually seen it referenced or presented by the government itself, which is entirely capable of doing so. It is referenced and presented by external parties, and has not been corroborated by the government to my understanding. We have neither the historical study McGovern quoted, nor do we have the memo itself. That does not mean it is inaccurate. I also did not state anything about "versions", and isn't really what I was getting at.
Then I did misunderstand, apologies. To reiterate, I have not seen the memo in primary form (as I stated) but was willing (for now) to accept its citation in McGovern to be accurate (as I stated).
It wasn't you Tezcatlipoca but an unnamed third person who stated I was claiming the JCS memo as a "version". And queried it. Twice.

The two versions I observe relate to whether the Paperclip name was inspired by paperclips or random.
My gut says it was selected intentionally because of the name of an affiliated operation.

Operation LUSTY was the Technical Air Intelligence operation to recover physical samples of Luftwaffe aircraft. LUSTY wasn't randomly assigned or "Lusty." It stood for LUftwaffe Secret TechnologY.

My gut says it was selected intentionally because of the name of an affiliated operation.

Operation LUSTY was the Technical Air Intelligence operation to recover physical samples of Luftwaffe aircraft. LUSTY wasn't randomly assigned or "Lusty." It stood for LUftwaffe Secret TechnologY.
How is the word "paperclip" related to "lusty"?

Nobody said it was, nor would it need to be for the point to be a valid one. If you meant "what was your point, I missed it?", then that is the question you should have asked.

I'll try and get some time to look it up and provide a proper reference but I thought that Operational names and Project names were chosen differently.

Both must come from a centralised system in order to avoid double up's but Operations could be related to the actual operation, Project names being issued in alphabetical order from a pre-populated list.

That "LUSTY" wasn't randomly selected and was intentionally backronym. It makes me think that they intentionally selected Paperclip because it meant something to the team, not a randomly assigned codename, based on an affiliated program picking their own name instead of being assigned "Operation Chinchilla" or something.

I was at Johns Hopkins the Summer the Hubble came on line.
There were quite a few of the original German scientists at each ceremony.
One told me "we were all Nazis whether we wanted to be or not".
Knowing what would happen to them if they strayed kept many of them saluting and clicking their heals.
The ones in party politics needed the white washing.

Back