2020 US Election - Current Events

Can you find that in the youtube live stream for me? I'm not listening to the whole Trump speech for that bit, and I'd like to know what exactly he said.
likely the same type of stuff he always does. Now hes whipping up people against Pence on Twitter, but 40 secs ago he did post this : dont want to lose police union support :)

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement. They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!" / Twitter

Article:

Senate suddenly recesses, Pence whisked away as protests escalate​

The Senate suddenly recessed Wednesday afternoon around 2:15 p.m. ET as pro-Trump protests escalated.

Vice President Mike Pence was ushered quickly out of the Senate chamber as it recessed and the debate between senators had to stop mid-speech. The House also recessed.

Police are telling staff and reporters to get inside rooms because the building has been breached.
NBC have updated this segment.
Article:

Pro-Trump protesters breach Capitol, Pence whisked away​

The Senate suddenly recessed Wednesday afternoon around 2:15 p.m. ET as pro-Trump protests escalated.

Vice President Mike Pence was ushered quickly out of the Senate chamber as it recessed and the debate between senators had to stop mid-speech. The House also recessed.

Pro-Trump demonstrators breached the barricades and crowded on the Capitol steps, which is normally only accessible to lawmakers. People jumped the barricades surrounding the Capitol and police began running around the hallways and telling people to get away from the windows.

A police officer on the third floor began shouting that protesters had gotten inside the building and that people should take shelter.

Senators were locked inside their chamber on the second floor of the Capitol building and protesters wearing Trump "Make America Great Again" hats and carrying flags were seen gathering outside the chamber doors.

"Immediately seek shelter in the closest office," an announcement over a loudspeaker said across the Capitol, which told people to lock doors as well. “Remain quiet and await further directions.”

I can't believe security was so thin. I thought the mob was going to be met by a decisive show of force. There were only a few Capitol Hill Police; apparently nothing more than a normal watch.

On the NBC stream, I saw (but failed to screenshot) a protestor flying a US flag above a Korean flag on the same pole. What is the meaning of that?

Can you find that in the youtube live stream for me? I'm not listening to the whole Trump speech for that bit, and I'd like to know what exactly he said.
This is from the Guardian Live Blog one hour ago;

It’s important to note that Donald Trump instructed his supporters to march to the Capitol when he addressed rally attendees in Washington this afternoon.

“We’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Ave -- I love Pennsylvania Avenuw -- and we’re going to the Capitol,” the president said.

“We’re going to try and give our Republicans -- the weak ones because the strong ones don’t need any of our help -- we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country,” Trump added. “So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue.”
This was reported in the Guardian live blog;

It’s important to note that Donald Trump instructed his supporters to march to the Capitol when he addressed rally attendees in Washington this afternoon.

“We’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Ave -- I love Pennsylvania Avenuw -- and we’re going to the Capitol,” the president said.

“We’re going to try and give our Republicans -- the weak ones because the strong ones don’t need any of our help -- we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country,” Trump added. “So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue.”

Thank you, @Inti . Reading that together with his Twitter appeal to respect the police, this looks like the call to peaceful protest, which is legal.

There are armed police inside the capitol; it's not clear (and I haven't seen a source confirming anything) who shot whom.

So the GOP members that supported the contesting of the election results, do they believe it or are they pandering to a group that they need? This group is not going anywhere.

A bomb squad destroyed a pipe bomb at the Republican National Convention.
Article:
An explosive device was found at the headquarters of the Republican National Committee in Washington and the nearby headquarters of the Democratic National Committee was evacuated after the discovery of a suspicious package on Wednesday, according to three people briefed on the discoveries.

The device that was found at the R.N.C. was a pipe bomb that was successfully destroyed by a bomb squad, according to an official for the R.N.C.

The package at the D.N.C. has yet to be identified, according to a top Democrat briefed on the matter who was not authorized to speak publicly about it.

The R.N.C. and D.N.C. are headquartered just a few blocks away from the U.S. Capitol, which Mr. Trump’s supporters stormed on Wednesday afternoon soon as Congress had gathered to certify President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory and shortly after the president addressed the crowd near the White House.

PBS is reporting that Maryland is also sending aid.

Source: https://twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/status/1346921299034009603

So the GOP members that supported the contesting of the election results, do they believe it or are they pandering to a group that they need? This group is not going anywhere.
Some of one, some of the other. Because incumbents (especially in the senate) are generally fairly safe in general elections except for the district shuffle every ten years, they very often act and campaign more with the primary in mind than the general.

If I had to name names, I'd say those in the house are more likely to be true believers than "talk talkers." The house is far more vulnerable to primaries and a fair number were already purged in the tea party infighting and this is in many ways an aftershock of that. In the senate, I doubt most are. McConnel has cared more about judicial appointments and his majority leader powers than anything else. Ted Cruz is the only one in the senate I really think has bought in for real.

Some of one, some of the other. Because incumbents (especially in the senate) are generally fairly safe in general elections except for the district shuffle every ten years, they very often act and campaign more with the primary in mind than the general.

If I had to name names, I'd say those in the house are more likely to be true believers than "talk talkers." The house is far more vulnerable to primaries and a fair number were already purged in the tea party infighting and this is in many ways an aftershock of that. In the senate, I doubt most are. McConnel has cared more about judicial appointments and his majority leader powers than anything else. Ted Cruz is the only one in the senate I really think has bought in for real.

I wonder if trump is a true believer or of he's trying to milk it for all it's worth. There is probably an element of his ego being massaged by people who worship him.

More from Mitch McConnell's speech:
Mitch McConnell: Self-government requires a shared commitment to the truth, and a shared respect for the ground rules of our system. We cannot keep drifting apart into two separate tribes with a separate set of facts and separate reality with nothing in common except our hostiliy towards each other and mistrust for the few national institutions that we all still share.
Content from External Source
This is a powerful speech.
Four years too late.

National Association of Manufacturers charges Trump with sedition and asks for his removal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...e-pence-donald-trump-capitol-hill/6571535002/

National Association of Manufacturers President and CEO Jay Timmons said Pence should "seriously consider working with the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment to preserve democracy."

“This is not law and order. This is chaos. It is mob rule. It is dangerous. This is sedition and should be treated as such," [President and CEO Jay] Timmons said in a statement. "The outgoing president incited violence in an attempt to retain power, and any elected leader defending him is violating their oath to the Constitution and rejecting democracy in favor of anarchy. Anyone indulging conspiracy theories to raise campaign dollars is complicit."
Content from External Source
National Association of Manufacturers is a conservative organization.

Last edited:
There's a theory that the idea is to delay the Congressional Certification of the election results until a deadline has passed, at which point there will be a per-state vote to elect the President (i.e. Trump)

I'm not sure if that is what would happen. But it's related to the older thread on the Jan 6 event. https://www.metabunk.org/threads/de...ount-on-jan-6-will-change-the-election.11494/
There's no such deadline and no such per-state vote provided for in the law.
See https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title3/chapter1&edition=prelim

Republican Congressman Mike Gallagher has just said on the PBS News Hour that all the Senators who have objected to the certification of electors may rescind their objections when and if Congress reconvenes tonight.

I have no citation to put here. I just heard it.

Republican Congressman Mike Gallagher has just said on the PBS News Hour that all the Senators who have objected to the certification of electors may rescind their objections when and if Congress reconvenes tonight.

I heard one guy saying he was still going to object but in a more friendly manner, and then later others suggested that the whole process would be streamlinds. There's a strong esprit de corps in the safe room.

Also possible symbolic impeachment.

Article:

Rand Paul: No more objections expected to Electoral College count​

No more objections are expected as lawmakers expect to continue counting the Electoral College votes Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told reporters.

Both chambers of Congress were debating a Republican objection to Arizona's results when supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol, forcing members of the House and the Senate to flee for safety.

Legislators will vote to close debate after they resume, but Paul said he does not expect any more objections to the process. Republican Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and Josh Hawley of Missouri, along with other Republican lawmakers, had previously threatened to object to election results in some states, citing baseless claims of fraud.

This NBC live blog is great, but you're probably going to have to scroll down quite a bit to find the earlier post that I quoted from it.

Back