2020 US Election - Current Events

Mendel

Senior Member.
Article:
The co-creator of the Punisher, Marvel’s murderously violent vigilante crimefighter, is calling on comic-book artists to create artworks reclaiming the character’s famous skull logo in the name of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Writer Gerry Conway opposes the appropriation of the symbol by police officers, some of whom have been seen wearing it at demonstrations protesting the killing of George Floyd

Article:
When this article was first published on November 16, 2017, ahead of the release of Netflix’s show The Punisher, relations between many Americans and the police were unquestionably tense. Now, in June 2020, that dynamic has combusted into national protests against state-sanctioned violence. One media figure unambiguously on the side of the state is Fox News’ Sean Hannity, who went on air recently wearing a skull-shaped lapel pin. It is the logo of the Punisher, a violent vigilante from Marvel Comics who has become something of a totem for cops and soldiers. We’re republishing this article to offer background on the role the Punisher plays in the self-conception of many members of the police and military professions.

It’s a relationship that became explicitly incongruous last year when the Punisher himself canonically addressed it. In July 2019, writer Matthew Rosenberg
inserted a scene into an issue of Punisher in which a group of officers run into the outlaw, whose name is Frank Castle, and fawn over him. “We believe in you,” one of them says while pointing to a Punisher-skull sticker on his car. Frank rips the sticker off and says, “We’re not the same. You took an oath to uphold the law. You help people. I gave all that up a long time ago. You don’t do what I do. Nobody does.” A cop replies, “Like it or not, you started something. You showed us how it’s done.” Frank is unmoved. “If I find out you are trying to do what I do,” he murmurs, “I’ll come for you next.” Here are panels from that issue, with our original story below it.
5868d9da7abcace8ea266c016b6ad24e94-punisher-2.w710.jpg
a9ddeeb963d30117cce01cfdddd3b5c583-punisher-1.w710.jpg

The punisher is a symbol for abandoning the democratic cornerstone of due process, and stripping human rights from those whom you perceive as criminals.

It's unethical in any philosophy that respects the human individual.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
One of the militia who was inside the chamber bore a motif of a flag that looked like the traditional stars and stripes with a stylised skull overlaid on it. Googling for that was futile, as it kept returning skulls with US flags on them, rather than US flags with skulls on them - any idea what group or ideology that represents?
Tip: Put a search in quotes to get more focussed results

2021-01-13_09-36-23.jpg

Without seeing the image (please post screen captures if possible), I'd guess a Punisher flag (vigilante justice), but it's also a common biker motif symbolizing piracy (independence) and patriotism.

Often the symbolism plays second fiddle to coolness, so don't read too much into any individual example.

Article:
“It’s not me being disrespectful,” said Veziel, 51, who is originally from Montreal but became an American citizen in 2002. “To me, it’s just an American flag with a cool thing on it. I think it’s awesome.”

FatPhil

Search for "punisher", a character from Marvel comics.

Thanks. It's definitely closest to a stylised Punisher (rounder, but essentially the same - long "teeth" bits, no crossbones). The guy in question is the one Mendel posted an image upthread on page 7: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/2020-us-election-current-events.11439/post-244088

So it's just a "cartoons are cool" guy, that's fine, rather than a particular movement. I like Asterix. (Yes, that's levity involving litotes.)

JMartJr

Then in 2012, Iraq veteran Chris Kyle published his memoir American Sniper, in which he distorted his war record and bragged about spray-painting the Punisher logo on his unit’s equipment during the 2004 battle of Fallujah. Kyle’s machismo and tall tales about shooting “looters” during Hurricane Katrina made him a hero to the far right. When his book was adapted for film in 2014, the Punisher skull gained increased currency among police unions, gun-loving militiamen, and neo-Nazis. Marvel, who did not respond to requests for comment, told Gizmodo last week that it was “taking seriously” unlicensed use of Punisher imagery while its notoriously litigious parent company Disney has not made any legal challenges.
and
Gerry Conway, the Punisher’s politically progressive co-creator and writer, is launching an unusual fundraiser: his own line of shirts designed by people of colour to take the symbol back from the right, with proceeds to go to Black Lives Matter.
Of possible interest...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...her-skull-make-it-a-black-lives-matter-symbol

obiwanbenobi

Congratulations on your new President, Unites States!
thank you. it has been a rather wild ride hasn't it?

let us hope that things improve. so far i'm happy to see mostly competent people being selected for leadership positions.

p.s. i was going to send this response by PM but i can't so i'll post it here.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
P "Deleted Votes" Claim, 2020 Election, Erie County, New York Election 2020 16
P Claim: Biden campaign short code '30330' is veiled message Election 2020 29
Z.W. Wolf Explained: Red Mirages, Blue Shifts, and Data Dumps in the 2020 Election Election 2020 21
A.G. Explained: Covid-19 research with pre-2020 dates in Google search results Coronavirus COVID-19 4
Mick West 2020 Nashville Christmas RV Bombing Current Events 37
Mick West 2020 Vienna Terror Attacks Current Events 8
Mick West 2020 Wildfires Current Events 25
TEEJ Pentagon to launch task force to investigate UFO sightings - August 14, 2020 CNN Article UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 28
Dingo 2020 Beirut Explosions Current Events 16
Mick West Meteorite over South Papua, Indonesia. May 3 2020 ? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
TEEJ Sunlit contrail, Cambridgeshire, UK causing media flap 15th April 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Getoffthisplanet [Fake] UFO's Casting Shadows On The Moon - "OVNI sur la Lune , 2020-03-26" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 23
Getoffthisplanet International Space Station (ISS) Live Stream from 2/21/2020 - Unidentified Object Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Arugula Apparent Meteor in Southern California - Jan 29 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Taal Volcano Eruption 2020 Current Events 1
Mick West Australia's Unprecedented Fire Season 2019/2020 General Discussion 25
Mendel Post Election Social Media Crackdowns Election 2020 19
Mendel John Lott's Paper on Election Fraud Election 2020 3
Mick West Debunked: Claim that the Electoral College Count On Jan 6 will Change the Election Election 2020 136
Mick West Debunked: Navid Keshavarz-Nia's Claims of "A Sudden Rise in Slope" as Election Fraud Evidence Election 2020 5
Mendel Allegations of Election Irregularities by Gregory Stenstrom of Marque Star Election 2020 41
Mick West Claim: R-Squared Coefficient of Determination as a Election Fraud Signal Election 2020 5
Akton Claim: Ballots in Wayne County were run through the tabulator and counted as many as 4-5 times Election 2020 16
Mick West Claims of Irregularities in NYT's Edison Election Data Election 2020 16
Mick West Election Fact Checking Resources and Tips Election 2020 7
Trailblazer Debunked: French election fraud by damaging Le Pen ballots [sample ballot papers] Conspiracy Theories 1
Willie Explained: NBC Local News Accidentally Posts US Election"Results A Week Early [Test Data for Layout] General Discussion 11
Mick West Debunked: Sarah Palin Calls For Executing Democratic ‘Cheaters’ On Election Day General Discussion 0
AluminumTheory Obama Stole Election with NSA Data Conspiracy Theories 4
Mick West Election Conspiracies Conspiracy Theories 52
MikeC Chemtrails as an election issue in New Zealand Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Arugula COVID-19 Coronavirus current events Coronavirus COVID-19 519
Mick West TFTRH #32 - The Skeptic of the North: Former Conspiracist, Current Skeptic Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 1
Mick West TFTRH 9: Joe - Former Chemtrail Conspiracist, Current New World Order Conspiracist Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 51
Mick West 2017 Westminster attack Current Events 23
Mick West Current Events Forum Guidelines Current Events 0
Bfahome ElectroBOOM debunks "Current Mohan" (History Channel) General Discussion 8
Mick West Debunked: J. Marvin Herndon's "Geoengineering" Articles in Current Science (India) and IJERPH Contrails and Chemtrails 355
Mick West Edward Current: I was a Deluded 9/11 Truther Escaping The Rabbit Hole 3
Mick West Building 7 Explained by Edward Current 9/11 2
Related Articles

Election 2020

Related Articles