WTC: Rate of Fall (rate of crush)

it's literally overwhelmed into irrelevance by all the other things that count.
Thank you for your input here. :)

The "body of evidence" versus the "specific instance" is a common theme, isn't it?

Buckling failure has to generate an off-axis force in order to occur.

It isn't likely that a silent cutting thermitic action is able to generate such a force. Is it actually possible to disprove the latter by finding evidence of this lateral force?

Thank you for your input here. :)
You're welcome. I'm guilty of popping up in forums where Szamboti is peddling his wares, which is still better than disappearing from forums when properly challenged.... Because Szamboti has taken to distortions and lies to promote his cause in recent times, I'm no longer content to live and let live. There's no reason the debate needs to start all over from the beginning in every location where it occurs.

The "body of evidence" versus the "specific instance" is a common theme, isn't it?
Yes. And the body of evidence versus scenarios concocted in Szamboti's mind.

Buckling failure has to generate an off-axis force in order to occur.
Sure enough.

The animation is taken from a simulation done by Gregory Szuladzinski, an associate of Szamboti's (both last names begin with Sz; what are the chances?).

The irony meter is pegging hard. This simple buckling simulation demonstrates the expectation of plumb and alignment in the section above is a pipe dream, even without including eccentricity due to tilt. The attached elements above and below are undoubtedly constrained against horizontal movement by the simulation environment.

It is plainly obvious there is more than enough horizontal force generated in buckling alone to displace the upper section over the descent of one story. It takes less than 1% of peak axial force of intact columns over that distance to cause severe misalignment and have capacity drop below static demand.

As an aside, if Szuladzinski were here, he'd mop the floor with all of us when it comes to engineering mechanics. So why does he indulge in this nonsense? No idea. I suspect he hasn't examined video evidence in any detail and is relying on Szamboti to fill him in, including kinematics of the upper section. If one is told the top maintained alignment through the descent of several stories, working from that "observation" might make some sense. However, when one considers that misalignment sufficient to greatly reduce capacity is represented by much less than a pixel in the best of videos (Sauret), it would seem prudent to ignore any claims of perfect alignment. Really, there's no excuse.

It isn't likely that a silent cutting thermitic action is able to generate such a force.
I wrote some stuff in simple agreement but had to rethink it. The short answer still is you're absolutely correct in terms of application of force directly due to the expenditure of chemical energy.

Clearly, thermal cutting action is not capable of producing significant motion of the upper section by direct application of force, and thermal weakening offers no force at all. Neither can cutter charges displace the upper section since the impulse is short duration and would just cause local deformations (its purpose!).

However, the conditions immediately following global initiation might differ perceptibly depending on whether the failure was caused by angle cuts or by widespread thermal weakening of the type described here. The latter ostensibly being indistinguishable from a natural initiation because it simply ensures the "natural" failure threshold is reached. Progression, of course, proceeds essentially the same in either case.

Theoretically, it might be possible to deduce the originating cause, if it were down to radically disparate failure modes. Doubt it, due to lack of empirical information or large scale simulation which would be essential in guiding interpretation. But I'll leave open the possibility that the observed motion in the early phase might differ enough that, with sufficient resolution measurements, cause could be discriminated to the level of choosing angle cut versus buckling. It might also be possible in theory to qualitatively distinguish (e.g.) floor detachment from primary column buckling as proximate cause.

Again, if it were possible, it would simply come down to the difference in the internal forces mechanically generated due to failure mode, not the forces produced by the liberation of chemical energy. The difference in the very internal forces that Szamboti trying to deny here.

Is it actually possible to disprove the latter by finding evidence of this lateral force?
I think not, for this reason: thermal weakening from fires is the official line. The difference is one is accelerated and targeted, the other semi-random and more diffuse. I believe both cases would give the same end result and be indistinguishable externally, with the caveats of the prior paragraph in mind. Cutting versus weakening matters the most, and both will generate internal force which are ultimately coupled to ground and will cause horizontal displacement of the upper section in reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Szamboti's argument is minimally contingent on these important factors:

1) the upper section acts as a rigid (or fully elastic, no matter) body beyond localized plastic deformation at a "contact interface"
2) the residual capacity of the lower section as a function of the crush displacement is at or near nominal relative to ideally applied purely axial compression
3) the mechanics expected for the actual collapses correspond directly to a 1D model without any correction or even acknowledgement of differences
4) his measurement and analysis methods are adequate to discriminate between actual and expected according to the above

Additional remarks on these four items as time permits.

Last edited:
Numbers 1, 2 and 3 are not necessarily independent of each other in the grand scheme of things. They're different key aspects of embracing an absurdly simplified model as representive of the actual mechanics. As such, they comprise the fatal flaws of the mechanical analysis. Number 4 is a distinct issue, bad process methodology on the empirical side.

Any of the first three items singly has the potential to invalidate Szamboti's argument, likewise the fourth. It's not an all or nothing proposition with the first three; the degree to which these things affect expectations and any mismatch between expectation and result is variable. Szamboti now promotes a superlative scenario where the most optimistic assumptions and estimates are used - even in the face of contradicting direct evidence - and all deleterious influences are ignored, so it's fair to present these points as representative of his stance. He's gone from claiming a measurable deceleration should be present to claiming a huge deceleration should be present, and even suggesting arrest is likely.

The basic thrust of arguments against his stance have never changed. They've only grown by expanding scope and articulating greater detail. By contrast, his claims have evolved to the most extreme scenario which can be gussied up with a superficial technical gloss. None of the truly insightful original objections have been refuted at any stage, so they simply become more glaring as the claims inflate.

As they are stated above, all four of the contingencies can be demonstrated to be false, and have been more than once in more than one location. The response has been a variety of:

- outright denial
- simply ignoring points and entire posts
- hiding behind anonymity of a source to automatically discredit their argument
- disappearing from the discussion permanently (only to appear somewhere else starting from the beginning)

The anonymity card comes out quickly when he's up against the wall, otherwise he'll argue all day with anonymous people without once bringing it up, even if their arguments are lacking. Especially if their arguments are lacking, and many are or are at least lacking rigor; easy prey.

I feel I have to mention this based on past history, it would be foolish not to. My arguments and those of others have been dismissed solely on the basis of anonymity without addressing the objections. I'd like to cover that in advance, rather than let the soap opera play out on Tony's controlled schedule.

Throw the card down NOW if you're planning on doing so, so it can be dispensed with immediately. Don't hold it for when the going gets tough. The going is tough RIGHT NOW.

Edit: it's not economical for me to cover all of your objections in advance (though I could), Tony; I'll deal with whatever passes for an argument as it's dribbled out. The anonymity tactic, however, is particularly odious and needs to be called out predictively and pre-emptively since it's your MO and is a loathsome way of trying to evade a clear argument.

Last edited:
One White Eye the buckling column you show would clearly have a serious impact. Your comments here aren't even worth responding to.

Dodge. That counts as item #1, outright denial. No reasons, no explanation; basically just the word 'no' as if that constituted an argument. Keep sticking to the MO, you'll get to anonymity soon enough. And then disappear from here.

I have done plenty of explaining here as to why a deceleration would be expected in a natural collapse and the Verinage demolitions prove my point.

All I have ever seen you and some of your friends do against those arguments are to come up with fantastic complicated scenarios and then say "see that is why it didn't decelerate" or "you can see the columns missed each other". You have no natural example like the Verinage demolitions to back your opposing claim. It is incredible that when you get ignored you claim people are dodging you.

I have done plenty of explaining here as to why a deceleration would be expected in a natural collapse...
And I've done just the opposite. The difference being I've addressed your argument in detail, point by point, and show why you're wrong. You haven't touched any of that.

...and the Verinage demolitions prove my point.
No, you've compared entirely different structures. I explained your error on the previous page.

All I have ever seen you and some of your friends do against those arguments are to come up with fantastic complicated scenarios and then say "see that is why it didn't decelerate"...
False. I've already linked to this thread which explains your errors without resorting to anything resembling a complicated scenario. The most complex thing in there is application of the equations of motion for constant acceleration. Nothing complicated at all. Very straightforward exposition of your incompetence. (Edit: in fact I use YOUR figures and assumptions to destroy your argument -- the only thing fantastical is your narrative.)

... or "you can see the columns missed each other".
Haha! That's true! You CAN see it. Anyone who cares to look can see it. Nothing complicated about stating the obvious.
You have no natural example like the Verinage demolitions to back your opposing claim. It is incredible that when you get ignored you claim people are dodging you.
Ignoring my argument is a dodge. You have plenty of time and patience for less cogent argumentation. C'mon, start up with the anonymity thing, time's a wastin'.

Last edited:
Let me show you what your argumentation strategy with me looks like when it's turned back on you:

You have nothing to back your claim, only a fantastical scenario where a tilting upper section magically descends in perfect axial alignment to encounter perfect 100% capacity on the ragged ends of columns.

Damn. That actually works in my case!

Last edited:
Yes you are. The point is to use facts not references to the person.

Have you seen the facts I've posted? Did you follow the link I provided - and read any of it? If you did, you'd be quite clear that I'm not fact-averse or lacking in references. What's more, it is also a fact that Szamboti has made false disparaging remarks concerning me and others so, for example, calling Tony Szamboti a liar is also a fact, easily demonstrable. How does that dovetail with the policy? Some facts are more acceptable than others, maybe?

I fail to see how you can remain silent in the face of a barrage of salient facts, then choose to chime in on the basis of a one-liner that seems to offend (very) delicate sensibilities. Is it because you don't understand the facts I've presented, or have you simply not noticed their presence?

Let me rephrase my statement above to be more in accordance with tea-time protocol:

Tony, will you be providing a fact and reference based argument against my points any time soon, or will it be necessary to summon the others who've been slandered by you and offer them an opportunity to confront you with rational argumentation here at your new digs?

That better?

Have you seen the facts I've posted? Did you follow the link I provided - and read any of it? If you did, you'd be quite clear that I'm not fact-averse or lacking in references. What's more, it is also a fact that Szamboti has made false disparaging remarks concerning me and others so, for example, calling Tony Szamboti a liar is also a fact, easily demonstrable. How does that dovetail with the policy? Some facts are more acceptable than others, maybe?

I fail to see how you can remain silent in the face of a barrage of salient facts, then choose to chime in on the basis of a one-liner that seems to offend (very) delicate sensibilities. Is it because you don't understand the facts I've presented, or have you simply not noticed their presence?

Let me rephrase my statement above to be more in accordance with tea-time protocol:

Tony, will you be providing a fact and reference based argument against my points any time soon, or will it be necessary to summon the others who've been slandered by you and offer them an opportunity to confront you with rational argumentation here at your new digs?

That better?

I think Tony is wrong, I think you are impolite.

I am impolite to those richly deserving of it. I do not serve politeness over truth or factual argumentation, and certainly not in the case of extreme oversensitivity.

You never answered any questions posed. Not a one was rhetorical, but let's focus on the last one: was that better? Does it meet acceptable criteria of politeness?

@Tony Szamboti

Before you arrived at this site I could not understand why WTC1 and WTC2 collapsed and why they collapsed symmetrically. But by understanding your argument and then reading the counter-arguments on the 9-11 forum linked to by Mick, I now understand why, once the upper floors started falling, that building had to collapse, through the floors, and hence collapse into itself.

Thank you.

@OneWhiteEye

Your comment was not really impolite by the standards of the forum.

This not withstanding, @Landru

My respect to you for defending the impoliteness policy with respect to someone you disagree with.

Last edited:
@OneWhiteEye

Your comment was not really impolite by the standards of the forum.
Thank you for your assessment. It was not friendly by any stretch, I admit. I'll try to respect the forum and watch my tone. It's not fair to burden others with historical baggage, but it's not like I can pretend this doesn't go back years and ignore it all. If that means I have to leave, I will.

Politeness seems just on the right side of the line for a newcomer. But let's try to keep it to a factual basis. Simply to avoid pointless finger pointing.

Avatars are semi-randomly assigned based on user name. Feel free to change it.
https://www.metabunk.org/account/avatar

What I think we really need to focus on is how to clearly communicate what the disagreement and misunderstandings are in a way that does not simply result in recycling. It's a multi-layered thing, and all the layers (of detail and complexity) need addressing. But it seems a bit silly to be having the same old arguments year after year about something that should be based on verifiable science. It's not like we are discussing the existence of God. It's just "did the buildings fall inexplicably fast?"

Last edited:
Politeness seems just on the right side of the line for a newcomer.
Yes, I agree. I'll drop the goading; I don't want someone walking into my living room and taking a dump, either.

But let's try to keep it to a factual basis. Simply to avoid pointless finger pointing.
Well, I've got a lot of those (facts)... presenting them only occasionally has any effect, and it's not peculiar to my experience. The sad conclusion is that fact-based argumentation generally doesn't accomplish much. Isn't that a drag? After all this time, I still haven't quite grown accustomed to that grim reality.

Avatars are semi-randomly assigned based on user name. Feel free to change it.
https://www.metabunk.org/account/avatar
Ah, no way. Now that I know the story, it's perfect. It's one white eye, assigned by a machine. Beautiful.

What I think we really need to focus on is how to clearly communicate what the disagreement and misunderstandings are in a way that does not simply result in recycling. It's a multi-layered thing, and all the layers (of detail and complexity) need addressing. But it seems a bit silly to be having the same old arguments year after year about something that should be based on verifiable science. It's not like we are discussing the existence of God. It's just "did the buildings fall inexplicably fast?"
Here, here. I don't want to dilute it by commenting on it. A solution to this situation has eluded me so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here, here. I don't want to dilute it by commenting on it. A solution to this situation has eluded me so far.

I think it has to be something other than the forum or blog format, more even than a wiki format. Some kind of large scale interactive collaborative infographic. Something that both makes the data accessible, and makes the arguments clear and proximate.

Blue sky. But something I'm interested in doing in general.

One aspect of the problem is how do you distill the actual useful information out of an 825 post thread like this one (or the 10,000 post threads on JREF, or the more efficient, but still long threads on The 9/11 Forum?

You have to build upon things that people agree upon. You need to have the base, and then very clearly identify the points of disagreement. Here, for example, with Tony, the points of disagreement initially seem to be high level, but really we need to go back, and find the common ground before we can even start to identify the base disagreement - which seems to hover somewhere around how much the column ends would line up, but might be even more fundamental than that.

The argument needs refining, reducing, not expanded upon.

Then @qed raises a great point - a lot of people don't really understand even the lower levels of the argument, like why the building fell. So you also need a structured, layered approach to explaining both the facts, and the competing theories, in a way that's accessible at multiple levels.

One aspect of the problem is how do you distill the actual useful information out of an 825 post thread like this one (or the 10,000 post threads on JREF, or the more efficient, but still long threads on The 9/11 Forum?
Many times summary threads were planned at the 911 forum, but only some ever came to fruition. For that matter, there's one started specifically to address Tony Szamboti, but it languishes with only the OP. Why? Mainly because something irritating happens and it inspires making a compilation of all the issues into one handy reference. Then time fades the irritation and no one has time for that activity, nor should they. Get out and enjoy life! Tony Szamboti disappears when you step away from the computer...

I have no excuse this time. Someone followed the links you posted, and I followed it back to here. There were no disparaging comments by Tony before I showed up. I saw a group of intelligent people here starting down a well-trodden path. Ugh. Flashbacks. I hesitated a couple of days. I should've never come back.

This subject doesn't need to be argued again for the sake of determining correctness. However, it may need to be argued for the sake of satisfaction - yours, jazzy, others. I have no business denying members of this forum the pleasure of deconstructing and refuting the arguments. It certainly is the best way to learn the subject matter. Maybe the purpose is not to simply shoot down the argument once and for all, but shoot it down every time it emerges. Every one gets a turn.

The argument needs refining, reducing, not expanded upon.
That was the purpose of the Szamboti thread. Maybe I should show femr2 Tony's latest comments and it'll rekindle the fire.

Actually, I looked back on the link I provided earlier, and I absolutely destroy Tony's argument in a handful of posts. If anyone can do it in a more compact or elegant fashion, I'm all ears.

It starts with Tony's own assumptions and figures in five simple bullets, not some "fantastic complicated scenario"; then shows what immediately proceeds from the foundation of these bullets, which themselves are undisputed. Afterward, the ashes of the argument are stomped by many more posts, but these are superfluous.

Obviously, I'm also interested in any errors discovered.

Obviously, I'm also interested in any errors discovered.
Eh, caught one myself.

I said:
This example HALVES the force and DOUBLES the duration to achieve the same energy dissipation during the jolt...
That would only be true at a constant velocity, which it is not. The duration and acceleration are both small enough to justify this as an approximation, and it does nothing to erode the argument, but it's not true as it stands. This and subsequent posts utilizing the same approximation will be amended shortly with a correction.

Edit: Please note this is well beyond refutation of the idea that a deceleration is expected. And one step beyond showing the Chandler/Szamboti data acquistion and post-processing could miss a 3g deceleration lasting 67ms.

Edit2: The error in this approximation is less than 8%, and errs on the side of dissipating more energy than the prior example, not less.

Last edited:
Actually, I looked back on the link I provided earlier, and I absolutely destroy Tony's argument in a handful of posts. If anyone can do it in a more compact or elegant fashion, I'm all ears.

I think you destroy the "missing jolt" argument with one very succinct observation:
http://the911forum.freeforums.org/n...boti-and-graeme-macqueen-t119-315.html#p21945
The impacts could not be simultaneous if 1 degree tilt is assumed.
Content from External Source
(and of course the tilt increases quite significantly after a few floors)

This subject doesn't need to be argued again for the sake of determining correctness. However, it may need to be argued for the sake of satisfaction - yours, jazzy, others. I have no business denying members of this forum the pleasure of deconstructing and refuting the arguments. It certainly is the best way to learn the subject matter. Maybe the purpose is not to simply shoot down the argument once and for all, but shoot it down every time it emerges. .

That's very much the purpose. Collections of bunk are like weeds. If you chop them down then they will return, even if you get some great tools to do the chopping, even if you get lots of people to help. What's needed is the discovery and cultivation of the antibunk - the collection of factual observations and reasoning that will annihilate the bunk on contact. Plant the antibunk near the bunk, or at least keep it handy.

Diagrams are an important part of antibunk. They take longer to grow, but they work a lot better than walls of text - wall are always full of holes.

The reason we don't have much high quality antibunk is the work required and the lack of motivation. It's fun to swing the machete of reason. It's fun (for a while) to play whack-a-mole. It's rewarding to free some lost soul tangled in the weeds. It's less fun, and more work, to carefully cultivate appropriate antibunk that will render those temporary measures unnecessary.

It is my current understanding that WTC1 and WTC2 looked something like this.

The building had a very strong central core of steel columns (girders?), and a single steel column at the edge, but with only a floor between.

|--------------------------------||||||----------------------------------|

So once a falling mass can smash through the floor (--------------) it will continue through all the floors.

• Surely there were other vertical supports between the floors? Were these concrete?
Any diagrams and numbers would be appreciated.

Maybe a little more like this:

|-------------------------|---|---|---|---|---|---------------------------|

Still, I agree with you. Long span beams express non-redundancy.

The building had a very strong central core of steel columns (girders?), and a single steel column at the edge, but with only a floor between.

So once a falling mass can smash through the floor (--------------) it will continue through all the floors.

• Surely there were other vertical supports between the floors? Were these concrete?
Any diagrams and numbers would be appreciated.

You diagram exaggerates the size of the floors relative to the core. Here's a view from above:

(The four large lattice "columns" are just cranes)

The grey slabs are the concrete floors. There is nothing holding them up other than the columns at their ends.

From a distance the columns look like gossamer. The solid portions you see below are the enclosed elevator shafts.

Last edited:
Maybe a little more like this:

I agree with that.

But was there no other vertical supports? Say

|-----#------#-------#-------|---|---|---|---|---|------#-------#------#--------|
|-----#------#-------#-------|---|---|---|---|---|------#-------#------#--------|

were # are just concrete?

No, there were no other supports. Only partition walls.

Here's a couple of useful (and accurate) visualizations:

This more detailed one shows the partition walls and contents. Not supporting anything, but it makes it looks a lot denser.

Here's a similar image from higher up. The higher things got, the thinner the core columns got:

Here's a great detailed photo (unknown floor) where you can see the different thicknesses of the columns. Note the corner column is by far the strongst.

Heres the interior. No other supports:

Last edited:
You are correct. It is
where the ----------- are obviously strong (E1 in NIST?).

But then if I placed a sufficiently heavy object █ on one of the floors,

.............█

it could break that floor, fall through the floor, smash the next floor, on and on, until the bottom?

|---------- -----------|---|---|---|---|---|---------------------------|
.............█

• Are you sure there were no other vertical supports?

Last edited:
You are correct. It is

where the ----------- are obviously strong (E1 in NIST).

But then if I placed a sufficiently heavy object * on one of the floors,

.............*

it could break that floor, fall through the floor, smash the next floor, on and on, until the bottom?

|---------- ------------|---|---|---|---|---|---------------------------|
..............*

• Are you sure there were no other vertical supports?

I'm sure. This is from an original pre-construction brochure.

Your "heavy object" could concievable fall though the floors if it was sufficiently dense, small, and fast. But what more likely happened was a vast mass of rubble hit those floors, basically ripping them away from the columns (and not neatly).

Last edited:
But what more likely happened was a vast mass of rubble hit those floors, basically ripping them away from the columns (and not neatly).

I have to agree with you on this one.

If any of my co-skeptics can counter argue this with me, please feel free.

Last edited:
Back