Why don't the conspiracy websites ever cover the Koch Brothers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical Thinker

Senior Member.
My various news feeds regularly have a story about the Koch brothers and how they conspire to hide their political contributions, fund climate change denial studies, front groups that they fund anonymously... I thought it odd that I had not seen any such stories covered on the various conspiracy profiteering websites, so I did a google search of the terms "koch brothers" conspiracy and none of the major players (Infowars, Prisonplanet, NaturalNews, Breitbart....) have a single story covering these actual conspiracies to obfuscate, misinform, and buy politicians, although I had seen stories where they defend the Koch brothers. Why is that? WHY WHY WHY???

Sarcastro

Why would the conspiracy sites care about the left vs. right antics? They're concerned with the "big picture." The illuminati and free masons manipulating everything through the New World Order.

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's a little odd to read Infowars debunking quite plausible conspiracy theories.

http://www.infowars.com/nut-job-oba...ov-disaster-is-part-of-right-wing-conspiracy/

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
I think Koch brothers are seen to be part of the libertarian movement, the founded the Cato institute.
As most of the market of conspiracy theory consumers self-identify as libertarians, they wouldn't feel the need to scrutinise or criticise them.

J

Joe

My various news feeds regularly have a story about the Koch brothers and how they conspire to hide their political contributions, fund climate change denial studies, front groups that they fund anonymously... I thought it odd that I had not seen any such stories covered on the various conspiracy profiteering websites, so I did a google search of the terms "koch brothers" conspiracy and none of the major players (Infowars, Prisonplanet, NaturalNews, Breitbart....) have a single story covering these actual conspiracies to obfuscate, misinform, and buy politicians, although I had seen stories where they defend the Koch brothers. Why is that? WHY WHY WHY???
What are your News feeds ? Iv never heard of them until a bunch of leftist said the tea party was being funded by them I never got a check . George Soros now there is someone to be worried about

Critical Thinker

Senior Member.
What are your News feeds ? Iv never heard of them until a bunch of leftist said the tea party was being funded by them I never got a check . George Soros now there is someone to be worried about

You may want to actually question how balanced the coverage is on your news feeds if you had not heard of the Koch Brothers activities until you happened upon something "a bunch of leftist said".

J

Joe

You may want to actually question how balanced the coverage is on your news feeds if you had not heard of the Koch Brothers activities until you happened upon something "a bunch of leftist said".

Sure and Soros funds the Center for American Progress the Tides foundation which funds many other things . Media Matters . Think Progress . Its the same left or right . Politicians on both sides for sale . Some are better at hiding their crap than others . Influence peddling . Koch Brothers: $2.58 million
George Soros: $1.74 million Well you have two brothers and One Soros .http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2010/09/opensecrets-battle---koch-brothers.html

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Joe

VERDICT: Soros rules this category, having poured more than $34.2 million into political channels, compared to $4.06 million for the Koch brothers

Mark Barrington

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...9296-7661-11e3-b1c5-739e63e9c9a7_graphic.html

There's a good graphic at the link which shows the organizations and the connections between them.

Sarcastro

I think Koch brothers are seen to be part of the libertarian movement, the founded the Cato institute.
As most of the market of conspiracy theory consumers self-identify as libertarians, they wouldn't feel the need to scrutinise or criticise them.
The Koch brothers do identify as Libertarian, however, in today's hyper-political world, people have adapted the stance of "Oh you're against my position on this topic, therefore you must be a member of the other party." So with Obama in power, and Koch Brothers criticizing him, they are now seen as conservative (yet, those same people were considering them to be neutral when they criticized Bush.)

Critical Thinker

Senior Member.
Sure and Soros funds the Center for American Progress the Tides foundation which funds many other things . Media Matters . Think Progress . Its the same left or right . Politicians on both sides for sale . Some are better at hiding their crap than others . Influence peddling . Koch Brothers: $2.58 million
George Soros: $1.74 million Well you have two brothers and One Soros .http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2010/09/opensecrets-battle---koch-brothers.html

@Joe If you have a topic you want to cover go start your own thread (with links to sources that back up your assertions) rather than introducing logical fallacies and your usual cantankerousness (Trolling) into existing threads which seems to be your usual knee jerk reaction to anything that is at odds to your politics. Debunking is seeking to examine the facts/evidence without regard to our personal views or politics... I am doubtful that you see it that way though.

Oh yeah, I see your next attack coming about the source of the article, instead of addressing the content... that is also a logical fallacy, so to save time.. don't bother.

The question was about why conspiracy websites (the ones that devote themselves to stories about conspiracies) fail to have stories about the Koch brothers. Trying to hide the extent of their political activity, funding a scientist to publish a study refuting the scientific consensus of climate change and to distract the public from the very real issue of climate change, and their lobbying to prevent any legislation that would attempt to rein in the biggest polluters, are activities along the lines of a conspiracy. The article below covers some of the very real conspiracies that have been tied to the Koch Brothers companies.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Koch_Industries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...rs#Fossil_fuel_and_chemical_industry_lobbying

Last edited:
J

Joe

@Joe If you have a topic you want to cover go start your own thread (with links to sources that back up your assertions) rather than introducing logical fallacies and your usual cantankerousness (Trolling) into existing threads which seems to be your usual knee jerk reaction to anything that is at odd to your politics. Debunking is seeking to examine the facts/evidence without regard to our personal views or politics... I am doubtful that you see it that way though.

Oh yeah, I see your next attack coming about the source of the article, instead of addressing the content... that is also a logical fallacy, so to save time.. don't bother.

The question was about why conspiracy websites (the ones that devote themselves to stories about conspiracies) fail to have stories about the Koch brothers. Trying to hide the extent of their political activity, funding a scientist to publish a study refuting the scientific consensus of climate change and to distract the public from the very real issue of climate change, and their lobbying to prevent any legislation that would attempt to rein in the biggest polluters, are activities along the lines of a conspiracy. The article below covers some of the very real conspiracies that have been tied to the Koch Brothers companies.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Koch_Industries
No I made my point and that was it doesnt matter what side they are all the same . I would not start a thread on it because its political . This is not a political site . So if you going to put up political crap expect a opposing view .

J

Joe

The subject of this thread is why conspiracy sites don't cover the Kochs. And "Because Soros" is not an answer.
well it looks like a political thread . If you put up a post that says 2 people give more than one it is not only misleading it is a lie and propaganda . Can I put up a thread about Malik Obama and his terrorist connections ? The connections to the Muslim Brotherhood and the Muslim brotherhood at the Whitehouse this week ?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
well it looks like a political thread . If you put up a post that says 2 people give more than one it is not only misleading it is a lie and propaganda . Can I put up a thread about Malik Obama and his terrorist connections ? The connections to the Muslim Brotherhood and the Muslim brotherhood at the Whitehouse this week ?

Read the posting guidelines.

Let's focus on the question at hand though. Ignoring everyone else, why do you think that conspiracy sites don't report on the Kochs conspiracies?

George B

Extinct but not forgotten Staff Member
The implication is: there is a conflict of interest . . . is it possible that some $ comes to the conspiracy sites from the Koch brothers? If so how would we find out? And if a connection was found . . . what are the ramifications? Don't think there is a legal issue . . . just an ethical obligation to be transparent . . . like our politicians, corporations, etc strive to be . . . :confused:

Sarcastro

The implication is: there is a conflict of interest . . . is it possible that some $ comes to the conspiracy sites from the Koch brothers? If so how would we find out? And if a connection was found . . . what are the ramifications? Don't think there is a legal issue . . . just an ethical obligation to be transparent . . . like our politicians, corporations, etc strive to be . . . :confused:
Not sure why the Koch brothers would need to fund a conspiracy site. Seems to be plenty of [people] that are willing to run one for free.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The implication is: there is a conflict of interest . . . is it possible that some $ comes to the conspiracy sites from the Koch brothers?

Well, we know for a fact that conspiracy theories get deliberately pushed by Roger Ailes on his Fox News. I does not seem entirely impossible that there's more

However I've not seen any evidence that the conspiracy sites are funded in this way. Alex Jones seems to be doing just fine by selling ads and freedom coffee. It would be very interesting if anything came out - so it would likely be rather indirect.

But it seems more likely that discussing the Koch is avoided because they are seen as having a similar anti-government world view.

George B

Not sure why the Koch brothers would need to fund a conspiracy site. Seems to be plenty of [people] that are willing to run one for free.
That is the question . . . how many people are capable or willing to support marginal causes out of their own pocket? The effort is many times very significant . . .

George B

Well, we know for a fact that conspiracy theories get deliberately pushed by Roger Ailes on his Fox News. I does not seem entirely impossible that there's more

However I've not seen any evidence that the conspiracy sites are funded in this way. Alex Jones seems to be doing just fine by selling ads and freedom coffee. It would be very interesting if anything came out - so it would likely be rather indirect.

But it seems more likely that discussing the Koch is avoided because they are seen as having a similar anti-government world view.
Reasonable . . . like birds flock together as they say . . .

J

Joe

Read the posting guidelines.

Let's focus on the question at hand though. Ignoring everyone else, why do you think that conspiracy sites don't report on the Kochs conspiracies?
Because they're is no conspiracy at all . Its quite obvious The Koch brothers use their money to benefit them as with most of the super wealthy . It whether or not they're anti American is what makes the conspiracy sites . Are they Globalist ? Are the pro capitalist or anti capitalist . Im pretty sure they are pro American and pro capitalist even if its in their own self interest .

J

Joe

Have any evidence they are anti government or just against big Government ?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Have any evidence they are anti government or just against big Government ?

Now you are just getting semantic. "Anti-government" is generally used to indicate anti-big government. Not anarchism.

Because they're is no conspiracy at all . Its quite obvious The Koch brothers use their money to benefit them as with most of the super wealthy . It whether or not they're anti American is what makes the conspiracy sites . Are they Globalist ? Are the pro capitalist or anti capitalist . Im pretty sure they are pro American and pro capitalist even if its in their own self interest .

I'm not sure what you mean here? You think conspiracy sites only cover "anti-American" or "anti-capitalist" conspiracies?

Sarcastro

That is the question . . . how many people are capable or willing to support marginal causes out of their own pocket? The effort is many times very significant . . .
A fair amount I think. Websites don't cost all that much to run these days. I see someone running a website about conspiracy theories no different that someone running a website about their favorite beer or funny cat videos. It's what they are passionate about. They don't care if it costs them a few bucks to run. I'm sure they would be happy if they could make money off it, but that's not their goal.

Critical Thinker

Senior Member.
Conspiracy websites cover conspiracies. I have not seen any definition or claim that the conspiracy websites are about "whether or not they're anti American" . I think you just make stuff up as you go along.

It whether or not they're anti American is what makes the conspiracy sites

Conspiracy definition

These are known conspiracies related to the Koch brothers and their companies, so why do the conspiracy sites fail to make any mention of them other than to come to their defense, in much the same way you do.

On a side note, the issues that the Koch brothers are most involved in exerting their considerable influence, are not particularly for betterment of mankind... just about enriching themselves (which is their right).

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Sarcastro

Conspiracy websites cover conspiracies. I have not seen any definition or claim that the conspiracy websites are about "whether or not they're anti American" . I think you just make stuff up as you go along.

Conspiracy definition

Using that definition of conspiracy, they should also be covering the scammer on the sidewalk doing 3 card Monte.

Sarcastro

It would be a good thing if they did cover/expose the con games that scammers play, so people could avoid those.
So why do you think they don't? The answer seems to be pretty obvious and it applies to your original question. It's not fantastical enough. A person swindling a guy out $50 on the street or a person donating lots of money to political groups isn't very interesting. Free masons flying airplanes that were reversed engineered from alien spacecrafts to spray chemicals in the stratosphere making the atmosphere more hospitable to the lizard people, that's interesting.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I cant think of one thing there that I wouldnt support myself . God Bless them

It's not about if you agree with their politics. It's about why conspiracy sites don't cover allegations of Koch conspiracies.

Josh Heuer

It's not about if you agree with their politics. It's about why conspiracy sites don't cover allegations of Koch conspiracies.
Should conspiracy websites attempt to cover every single conspiracy out there?
Or, as you put it, allegations of conspiracies?

Sarcastro

Given that we've seen coverage of the Koch "conspiracies" in mainstream media (several examples in this very thread), is it really still a conspiracy? The conspiracy sites seem to be more interested in talking about stuff that isn't covered in the news.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Given that we've seen coverage of the Koch "conspiracies" in mainstream media (several examples in this very thread), is it really still a conspiracy? The conspiracy sites seem to be more interested in talking about stuff that isn't covered in the news.

Just because it's been in the news does not make it not a conspiracy.

There's a lot of interest in the Koch brothers on the infowars forum, just almost nothing on the site itself. Yet Alex is constantly going after Soros. It seems like his fans are very interested in the Kochs.

I don't really think there's much evidence of the Kochs funding conspiracy sites. I think it's far more likely that it's just ideology. But it's still interesting.

NoParty

Senior Member.
I think that much of the allure of the conspiracy theories is that they can make uneducated people
feel like they are smarter than others. This usually keeps the conspiracy kind of shadowy.

The big problem with the Koch story as a conspiracy, is that--though there's enough financial power there
to keep documentaries about them off PBS--anyone with an internet connection can trace all
kinds of Koch money, designed to push the political center to the right.
Hell, the Daily Show featured easily verifiable Koch bad behavior just last night!
While there's undoubtedly unethical Koch behavior that we don't yet know about,
the massive amount of ugly behavior that is already well known undermines the conspiracy potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Critical Thinker Fareed Zakaria: An angry victim of the Internet misinformation websites, speaks out Practical Debunking 11
Lode Claim: "The Conspiracy Theory Is True: Agents Infiltrate Websites" General Discussion 12
L Is there an updated or expanded version of the conspiracy theory spectrum? Practical Debunking 2
Rory "Escaping the anti-vax conspiracy rabbit hole" Escaping The Rabbit Hole 0
Rory TFTRH #50 - raised by conspiracy theorists Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 1
Mendel Poll Finds Many Believe QAnon And Other Conspiracy Theories General Discussion 13
Mick West Conspiracy Theories about Senator Kelly Loeffler's Campaign Staffer, 20, Killed in Car Crash. Election 2020 2
Mick West Burst Pipe Conspiracy Theories, Fulton County's State Farm Arena, Georgia Election 2020 20
Mick West Debunks: The Dominion-Venezuela-Smartmatic Vote Theft Conspiracy Theory Election 2020 4
JFDee New York Times: Talking to family members fallen for conspiracy beliefs Practical Debunking 5
T Is it less rational to believe in several conspiracy theories than only one? Conspiracy Theories 31
C Iran promotes anti-semetic conspiracy theories via American Herald Tribune Conspiracy Theories 0
GeorginaB Twitter is banning accounts linked to QAnon conspiracy Conspiracy Theories 1
Agent K Ghislaine Maxwell was arrested in New Hampshire Current Events 11
A Why 9/11 Truthers Are Wrong About The Facts | (Part 1 w/ Mick West) 9/11 1
Mick West Discussing 5G EMF Concerns, Theories, and Conspiracy Theories 5G and Other EMF Health Concerns 15
JFDee 9/11 Conspiracy Idea Slipped into Academic Course Material (France) 9/11 8
Mick West TFTRH #33 – Anthony Magnabosco: Street Epistemology and Conspiracy Theories Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
Mick West TFTRH #31: Professor Elizabeth Loftus – Memory and Conspiracy Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 6
Mick West TFTRH #15: Brad - Math vs. Conspiracy Theories Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 21
Mick West TFTRH #13: Professor David Keith – Geoengineering Research and the Chemtrails Conspiracy Theory Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
Marin B Facebook moderators believing in conspiracy theories Conspiracy Theories 4
Critical Thinker Russia's role in promoting conspiracy theories General Discussion 20
Rory The Conspiracy Theory Spectrum Practical Debunking 16
Mick West Conspiracy Theory or "Devil Theory" of Politics Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Alex Jones Deplatforming and Related Conspiracy Theories Current Events 49
Mick West Paper: How paranoid are conspiracy believers? Practical Debunking 21
Mick West Eruption of Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii – Conspiracies and Science Current Events 34
Mick West Perspective on the popularity of conspiracy theories. Practical Debunking 23
Leifer The Where's Waldo game, and the Conspiracy version. General Discussion 15
qed Roy Moore yearbook signature faked? Conspiracy Theories 111
M Bornong Can Belief in Chemtrails and/or other Conspiracy Theories Lead to Violence? Contrails and Chemtrails 4
G Applications of Game Theory to Assessing the Plausibility of Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 1
skephu Solar geoengineering and the chemtrails conspiracy on social media Contrails and Chemtrails 3
DannyBoy2k Are There Any Professional Groups Rebutting 9/11 Conspiracy Theories? 9/11 13
Mick West Explained: Unburned trees next to burned down structures as evidence of secret "energy weapons" Wildfires 122
Cube Radio What British Muslims think about 9/11 Conspiracy Theories 9/11 26
ZoomBubba Las Vegas Massacre - Surveillance Footage? Conspiracy Theories 115
Mick West Debunked: Hurricane Harvey, Project Stormfury, Conspiracy Theories Current Events 40
Mick West Dylan Avery - Director of the 9/11 Conspiracy Film "Loose Change" Escaping The Rabbit Hole 2
Mick West Hurricane Harvey. Cat 4. Major flooding. Conspiracy Theories. Current Events 10
Mick West Consensus Messaging vs. Message Targeting in Science Communication Practical Debunking 16
Mick West 2016 Berlin Truck Attack Conspiracy Theories Current Events 13
Mick West Current Events Forum Guidelines Current Events 0
skephu Changing Conspiracy Beliefs through Rationality and Ridiculing Practical Debunking 25
Marin B Garrett Graff : "Bungling" is a more likely explanation for government conspiracy theories Conspiracy Theories 7
Dick Holman How many people follow multiple conspiracy theories? Practical Debunking 12
Jay Reynolds New Dutch paper Analyzes how Conspiracy Theorists see themselves Conspiracy Theories 3
Mick West Conspiracy? Trump Repeating Falsely Attributed Quote from Russian Media. Conspiracy Theories 26
txt29 Conspiracy Theory: No blood on truck in Nice Conspiracy Theories 34
Related Articles

Related Articles