When is some concept Real, a Conspiracy or Fantasy?

Mat

I debunk things if I see a mistake in them that's not been clearly addressed. I really don't consider the issues on your list. I usually end up addressing topics that I've got some interest in, or are tangentially related. Often I build upon the debunking efforts of others, but try to make it more accessible.

The key consideration though is if there's some bunk there. i.e. if there's a mistake or a lie - like "contrails always quickly dissipate".

But you also get really bogged down in the petty Mick. It makes you blunter than you are sharp. So rather than debunk facts, you question the poster's motives, experience understanding etc. I hope you strive to improve on this fault:) I think you are better than that:)

Mat

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
But you also get really bogged down in the petty Mick. It makes you blunter than you are sharp. So rather than debunk facts, you question the poster's motives, experience understanding etc. I hope you strive to improve on this fault:) I think you are better than that:)

Mat

I try to avoid doing those things. I think I've been pretty focussed on the facts.

I'm also interested in figuring out how to effectively communicate the facts though, and sometimes one needs to actually discuss the discussion to see what's going on with communication (the "meta" in metabunk).

See here, where I bring you up.
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/784-Debunkers-vs-Debaters-How-can-we-have-constructive-discussions

Last edited:

George B

Extinct but not forgotten Staff Member
I debunk things if I see a mistake in them that's not been clearly addressed. I really don't consider the issues on your list. I usually end up addressing topics that I've got some interest in, or are tangentially related. Often I build upon the debunking efforts of others, but try to make it more accessible.

The key consideration though is if there's some bunk there. i.e. if there's a mistake or a lie - like "contrails always quickly dissipate".

Do you think you would waste your time and effort if the concept with bunk has no importance (gravity) or popularity ??

George B

I like them in principle apart from d which seems utterly without rational requirement.

I included (d) because some of the participants on this Forum seem to point to it as evidence of malicious intent on the part of a promoter who doesn't believe in the concepts he/she is promoting but maintains deception for financial gain . . .

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think you would waste your time and effort if the concept with bunk has no importance (gravity) or popularity ??

I'd be less likely to. But I debunk individuals theories too - if someone states something here that's wrong, then I explain it, even though it might not be at all important or popular.

But for me to hear of a particular theory it does generally have to have got to a certain level of popularity in the first place.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I included (d) because some of the participants on this Forum seem to point to it as evidence of malicious intent on the part of a promoter who doesn't believe in the concepts he/she is promoting but maintains deception for financial gain . . .

Then it's just evidence (and circumstantial at that). It's not a necessary criteria for debunking. Personally I tend to believe that the bunk promoters mostly believe in their bunk, but their profits do provide some disincentive to looking too deeply at contrary evidence.

Of course it can certainly motivate a debunker, as if someone is charging for something that does not work, then it's harming someone.

Mat

I try to avoid doing those things. I think I've been pretty focussed on the facts.

Often not, I know its hard to draw the line sometimes, especially in text and especially about controversial stuff like on here. All we can do is strive, innit:)

I used to smile loads like :) on forums but people told me they felt it was incinseer and annoying, so I strive to do it less!

I strive not to react to the nonenemy combatants, though sometimes its hard!

I'm also interested in figuring out how to effectively communicate the facts though

Ya! Me too... or at least the fundamental absence of the facts:)

I think as a debunker (which I see as a more passionate kind of skeptic. I would say I am not really one, not a very good one at least) the moment you stop debunking and start proclaiming is the moment you can loose grip reason. Debunking that x is y is very different to proving that x is z. That might be a good strategy to encourage here.

Debunking more like a conversational chess rather than the ego storm of other forums! I have felt more deunked here than anywhere else!:p

As for forums in themselves, my feelings on this get more and more to be that, if you cant say it in your own words in the text box provided by the forum then don't say it in the forum. I think hyperlinking out and big pastes of text are unproductive and stiffling to the debate and the debunking.

So that's just some thoughts!

(the "meta" in metabunk).

OH NO! I thought it was from metta as in the buddhist term for "loving kindness"! Joke!

I just read the link to the other post, ill go there now:)

Mat

George B

Then it's just evidence (and circumstantial at that). It's not a necessary criteria for debunking. Personally I tend to believe that the bunk promoters mostly believe in their bunk, but their profits do provide some disincentive to looking too deeply at contrary evidence.

Of course it can certainly motivate a debunker, as if someone is charging for something that does not work, then it's harming someone.

That is easy . . . I will remove (d) and replace it with (e) which will be the new (d) . . .

I think the criteria for confronting a concept/conspiracy are the following once a threshold has been reached:

a. The concept/conspiracy has reached a significant level of popularity
b. People recognize the name of the concept/conspiracy and recognize a generalized definition
c. There is significant disagreement regarding the fact base or error in the logic of the concept's adherents/promoters
d. Some damage may result if the concept/conspiracy is not challenged

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Gary Cook Concerned about dismissing the concept of flase flags in general. Site Feedback & News 33
CbIncus The Concept of Precipitable Water (PW) Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Arugula Claim: Only 6% of COVID deaths are "real" - the rest died due to comorbidities Coronavirus COVID-19 12
Jesse3959 Being seen from space - methods to demonstrate that sats are real and provide live video? Flat Earth 6
Mick West Are the Navy UFOs "Real," or just in the Low Information Zone? UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 31
Stefan Leahu How atmospheric tunelling and refraction really look like in real life. Flat Earth 0
Stefan Leahu A real-life 2D curvature analogy and a few thoughts regarding scale Flat Earth 2
Mick West How to test if Satellites are real Flat Earth 2
derwoodii Claim Melania Trump has a double, will the real 1st lady please stand up Conspiracy Theories 11
Mick West How to Prove Satellite Images are Real - Ground Truth Flat Earth 16
MikeG Debunked: Air Force Verifies Chemtrails are Real Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Sandor Szekely Lake Balaton Laser experiment to determine the curvature of the Earth, if any. Flat Earth 1027
Jonathan Evans "The Real Venus" Shimmering circle of light Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
Georgie G Debunked: SpaceX Rocket Crash Landing Anomalies General Discussion 21
MikeC Aircraft weight and balance in the real world Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Trailspotter Fake photo with real looking EXIF Data Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Leifer Erin Brokovich does not believe in chemtrails. Contrails and Chemtrails 64
MikeC Ukraine has no real borders? General Discussion 51
J Latoya Ammons - A Real Life Demonic Possession? General Discussion 91
scombrid Is any crisis real? Yes, even the mall attacks in Kenya were fake. Conspiracy Theories 6
Cairenn Fake on line journals with Real names Practical Debunking 0
dan theman Gallbladder Flush Real or Fake Health and Quackery 13
Alchemist Real Life Wolverine? Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 6
S Is the Saphonian bladeless wind turbine for real or a scam? Science and Pseudoscience 40
FreiZeitGeist FB: Airline Pilots Who Believe that Chemtrails are Real Contrails and Chemtrails 28
Mick West Real Names Site Feedback & News 30
sunyatajon If Chemtrails were real, they would affect the perpetrators Contrails and Chemtrails 24
JRBids Real Photo? Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Queue Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs (Ukraine Serial Killers), Real? or Internet Hoax? General Discussion 12
TheCorruptOnes Chemtrails are Real Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Spongebob Introducing The Real Charlie Veitch... People Debunked 2
George B Solar Maximum Doom. Hype or real? HAARP 17
Juror No. 8 Obama kills Osama: What if real reporters were allowed White House press passes? General Discussion 0
U INDENIABLE PROOF chemtrails is real Contrails and Chemtrails 66
Farganne Anyone care to apply REAL science to explain THIS? Part II Science and Pseudoscience 6
Farganne Anyone care to apply REAL science to explain THIS? Science and Pseudoscience 16
Bunkerbuster I think chemtrails are real breaking news Contrails and Chemtrails 234
PCWilliams Video: Are Chemtrails Real? Contrails and Chemtrails 13
firepilot Any real degree for Ilya Sandra Perlingieri? Contrails and Chemtrails 19
Mick West David Icke: The moon is not real. Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 44
L Is there an updated or expanded version of the conspiracy theory spectrum? Practical Debunking 2
Rory "Escaping the anti-vax conspiracy rabbit hole" Escaping The Rabbit Hole 0
Rory TFTRH #50 - raised by conspiracy theorists Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 1
Mendel Poll Finds Many Believe QAnon And Other Conspiracy Theories General Discussion 13
Mick West Conspiracy Theories about Senator Kelly Loeffler's Campaign Staffer, 20, Killed in Car Crash. Election 2020 2
Mick West Burst Pipe Conspiracy Theories, Fulton County's State Farm Arena, Georgia Election 2020 20
Mick West Debunks: The Dominion-Venezuela-Smartmatic Vote Theft Conspiracy Theory Election 2020 4
JFDee New York Times: Talking to family members fallen for conspiracy beliefs Practical Debunking 5
T Is it less rational to believe in several conspiracy theories than only one? Conspiracy Theories 31
C Iran promotes anti-semetic conspiracy theories via American Herald Tribune Conspiracy Theories 0
Related Articles

Related Articles