Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

Hello! I've arrived here from a reddit post on r/UFOs. Writer and skeptic with a lifelong interest in the strange and unusual.

Hello! I actually have a history with this site, as I've visited it numerous times over the past decade, and have escaped from at least two rabbit holes myself! However, I made this account just to ask two questions (one of which I've posted, the other I'll post after this) and I don't expect myself to post alot on here outside of today. I appreciate the work everyone on this site does, and it's so sad what conspiracism, pseudo-science, and so-fourth have done to the world!

Been following Metabunk since Mick‘s take on ticky tackys going fast and flipping their gimbals. Can’t stand the believers who demand “proof” of every detail that could possibly conflict with their narrative. If a possible explanation for something COULD happen it doesn’t need to be proven true to merit consideration.

Using my Rabbit Hole / Podcast exemption I came here today looking for a thread on the Randall Carlson / Malcolm Bendall fiasco that Joe Rogan recorded but refuses to air. I don’t see any mention of Bendall or his Plasmoid Generator that is supposedly going to save the world. I’ve followed Randall Carlson for years and find his geology / ice age flood / Younger Dryas / Mega Fauna extinction stuff to be evidence based & interesting. Sacred Geometry, Atlantis, & astrological stuff not so much. His current associations & outputs are making him sound like a grifter, and causing me to question the stuff he does sound competent on. Maybe he’s just getting old & exploited? I thought there might be folks here with thoughts, at least on this Malcolm Bendall / Plasmoid Generator guy. He has a cult like following, but mostly gets lumped in with the biggest scammers of all time.

Last edited:
Hello Metabunk community! I'm excited to join this forum and contribute to the discussions. A bit about myself: I am a lawyer with a passion for critical thinking and debunking misinformation. Looking forward to engaging with you all!

Hi everyone! I'm a software / AI entrepreneur from the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been immersed in the UAP topic for almost a year now, since learning about the New York Times article. I'm looking forward to contributing to this site (which seems like the best place for well-reasoned discussion on the topic).

Hi, I'm here for similar reasons to @JohnHoward . I have information that I would like to add to the debunking of the Plasmoid Unification Model "developed" by Malcolm Bendall. He's somehow managed to get big names onboard like Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson. How have I never heard of Metabunk before, this place is great!!!

Hi, I'm here for similar reasons to @JohnHoward . I have information that I would like to add to the debunking of the Plasmoid Unification Model "developed" by Malcolm Bendall. He's somehow managed to get big names onboard like Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson. How have I never heard of Metabunk before, this place is great!!!
I don't know anything about Carlson, but Graham Hancock is currently getting a LOT of critical debunking from people with sound backgrounds in geology, archaeology, and history, not to mention rebutting his "they're ALL wrong and I'm right" whining persecution nonsense. I think everyone producing videos with a scientific bent is pointing the finger at his incompetence, poor scholarship, and downright falsehoods. I hate to recommend the "University of YouTube" to you, but if you choose your sites critically, there are a lot of refreshing antidotes to his baloney.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png

It's highly recommended that you first read the Posting Guidelines:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/
Hi there from Sweden/Great Britain.

Hi, I seem to have breached the politeness guideline, but please give me some time to learn appropriate behavior.

I am a translator working on Mick's book Escaping the Rabbit Hole to create a Japanese version. I am a former archaeologist, skeptic writer, mother of two grownup ladies, and a cat lover. Any question about Japan is more than welcome.

I hope to know you all and have a meaningful discussion here.

Thanks!

(I wrote a mail to Mick a few days ago, hoping it would not go into the junk mail folder.)

Hello everyone. I have been coming to the forum for the past few years to read your conversations about 9/11. I have become more and more interested in the events of that day almost to the point of obsession. Well, I don't think it's an obsession. However a friend has used that word directed at me in relation to my 9/11 interest. I would like to point out that one of the things that has really stood out to me is the patience shown by "debunkers" dealing with the repeating of things debunked being brought up again and again. Especially Mick's patience in trying to get people to understand facts vs a person's own feelings or conclusion of what happened based on lies/half truths.

Hello everyone,

I am a student of Aeronautics & Precision and live in the Benelux.
I decided to join this community in case I need help in explaining certain phenomenas because I'm making a documentary that will be ready within few weeks. The documentary is not directly about conspiracy theories, but more describing real science and debunking those conspiracies in context.

I found this forum while navigating flatearth.ws

Last edited:
Hello! I joined Metabunk several months ago but only started posting today. I appreciate the spectrum of skepticism here which helps me ground my own speculative tendencies.

Hi, I decided new to Mick West work and his website but I got guided here by his book Which has helped me alot with deconverting as a conspiracy theorist.

Hi everyone!

New member chiming in. I do know that jet fuel doesn’t melt steel beams but instead fires over multiple floors can!

Hello!
Welcome! And remember that "melting" is irrelevant. Non-structural aluminium of course melts, and even copper is toast (not a technical term) in a blazing brazier. But soft steel ain't structurally sound, even when it's not liquid.

New member chiming in. I do know that jet fuel doesn’t melt steel beams but instead fires over multiple floors can!
Welcome, AD!

Here on metabunk, you can find several threads that debunk the notion that WTC fires melted steel, and debunk that there was evidence for molten steel from the collapse.

Heat can soften steel so that it loses strength and buckles or sags more easily. Heat can also elongate steel beams, putting stress on surrounding structures, upsetting the seating of the beams, and shifting the load distribution in the structure. These effects can bring down damaged steel-frame buildings. Explore our 9/11 forums to find out more, and to discuss these issues more in-depth if you're so inclined!

Welcome, AD!

Here on metabunk, you can find several threads that debunk the notion that WTC fires melted steel, and debunk that there was evidence for molten steel from the collapse.

Heat can soften steel so that it loses strength and buckles or sags more easily. Heat can also elongate steel beams, putting stress on surrounding structures, upsetting the seating of the beams, and shifting the load distribution in the structure. These effects can bring down damaged steel-frame buildings. Explore our 9/11 forums to find out more, and to discuss these issues more in-depth if you're so inclined!
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, I’m xtects, I’ve come here after getting fed up with people promoting CT’s like Miles Mathis but spouts stories about us “all dying painful deaths in FEMA death camps” sometime in the near future. Wondering if anyone is familiar with him? Also, this site helped with my studying on 9/11 trutherism so thank you!

Hi everyone, I’m xtects, I’ve come here after getting fed up with people promoting CT’s like Miles Mathis but spouts stories about us “all dying painful deaths in FEMA death camps” sometime in the near future. Wondering if anyone is familiar with him? Also, this site helped with my studying on 9/11 trutherism so thank you!
Not heard of Mathis. "Here I solve Goldbach's Conjecture" -- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265433227_THE_SIMPLE_PROOF_OF_GOLDBACH'S_CONJECTURE , tells me he's a crank. I used to help Professor Caldwell handle supposed Goldbach proofs which he was frequently sent as the guy running /The Prime Pages/ website. Most "proofs" fell into only very few general categories, the most common one being "becomes vanishingly improbable -> impossible" or its ever-so-slightly more sophisticated big brother "expected number of counter-examples is vanishingly small -> impossible", both of which are of course bogus. However, I can't get access to his paper to see which of the traps he's fallen into.
His web site seems like it probably contains a lot of potential stuff to debunk, but I've not delved into it much - he seems to want to debunk the validity of calculus by insisting that the difference between two numbers is intrinsically of a different type (a property which he never defines) than that of the two numbers themselves. I'm sure if he could add any rigor to that argument, then he would equally destroy all of his own mathematical work, but I'm not sure that he could actually add any rigor to it, as it superficially looks like mathematical nonsense (he keeps trying to map mathematical concepts onto real world ones, which is always a warning sign).

I was introduced to this website through a Zoom presentation hosted by the Skeptical Inquirer. I bailed from the presentation when I decided I didn't want to bother with so much abstract math -- I've been avoiding math for sixty years now and not going to yield now. The presentation did lead me to checking out the "Rabbit Hole" BOOK from the local library.

I've been avoiding math for sixty years now and not going to yield now.

I was just corresponding with a fellow member here about how "math and I had a falling out somewhere in Jr. High". I can function, but don't ask me about negative integers. Of course, as you saw a lot of debunking involves math. Fortunately, there are a lot of great math (or maths as the UK folks say) people on this site to differ too.

If there's a claim out there involving math, there are folks here that can handle it and most of them are happy to explain something if you ask.

Welcome!

Hi! My name is Larisa. I followed the link from the UFOs subreddit. I think I'll find a lot of interesting and useful things here.

In fact, I don't use various social networks actively and I'm not very sociable. I am attracted to riddles, and I have also seen UFOs, but I am not a fanatic of some conspiracy theory, and I am not a religious person. A little earlier, the user mentioned the book UFOs and monsters, if this is a book with a dark cover and a ghost, then I also read it. But even more interesting were two books from Reader's Digest, a collection of mysterious stories, and of course the series The X-Files. However, at that time I didn't know that it was called a Rabbit hole, and that it was possible to dive there. Basically, I just read, watched the finished product and didn't investigate it.

About a couple of years ago, I discovered some artwork, a commercial product. That's how I learned about Reddit, about extensive conspiracy theory, about the world conspiracy, Freemasons and so on. I even began to communicate a little there, in the thematic section about the artwork, but unfortunately, this subreddit had a more turbulent life earlier, and is now fading as a serious discussion.

Various real scientific discoveries and theories, well-known and little-known myths, philosophical currents and much more are hidden in this work of fiction. So I began to dive into these rabbit holes. In fact, in addition to conspiracy, I have discovered many cognitive things, read various popular science articles. It is more difficult with the fact that I cannot find answers to some of my questions: for example, what exactly this metofara or this parable hides. The lack of answers rather pushes me to the topic of esotericism and Freemasonry, about the government's concealment of the x-Men, about the theory of simulation, but I don't want to get both feet on this train and leave on it.

welcome, if there is one thing that history teaches us about humanity is that there are some things that we can create in our heads that should never actually be created, yet we will do it anyways.

In the middle of listening to Escaping the Rabbit Hole and finding it very interesting, i am in nature a very scientific person anyway so thought this site would be a good place to be.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!

Hello. I grew up with "UFOs". My father was S California State Director of MUFON in the 1970s and our house was often the location of meetings of early MUFON investigators. Not surprisingly, I have always had a fascination with the subject but, unlike my father, I am a skeptic. It seems EXTREMELY unlikely to me that we are being visited from beyond our solar system. Mundane explanations of anomalies are much more satisfying.
That said, my sister claims to have had a rather spectacular encounter with a UFO back in the 1980s. I would love to tell that story to someone here who might be able to offer an explanation that is more rational.
Happy to be a part of Metabunk!

I'm pleased to have found metabunk.com, as it contains a wealth of information from a vast array of credible sources. I have read a number of articles written by Mr. Mick West, and I have found the content to be based on reason, and each topic is covered in a very comprehensive manner. I'm looking forward to taking a look at the trending threads and getting to know the community.
First and foremost, I am a seeker of truth. To be very clear, when I use the word "truth", I am simply referring to "a narrative that accurately describes an object, subject, or event in a manner that aligns perfectly with reality" This requires that I abandon any type of bias or expectation, as preconceived notions only serve to skew a researcher's ability to accept facts, which may lead to an unexpected conclusion.
The term "conspiracy theory" is almost always associated with viewpoints that oppose a currently accepted "mainstream" narrative. This is why "debunking" for the sole purpose of "debunking" is rooted in either academic arrogance, or a desire to ensure the "official" narrative is not questioned. I believe it goes without saying that there are more than a few "crazies" out there who lack the ability to think in a rational and logical manner. That's quite obvious. From a utilitarian standpoint, the only acceptable motivation for debunking alternate (possibly incorrect) theories is to ensure that truth prevails in the presence of ignorance or deceit. I am not implying that the "popular" narrative cannot be correct, because in many cases, it is.
We live in an era dominated by a monopolized, corporatized media and an economy characterized by greed, deceit, and manipulation. We MUST vigilantly search for the truth in an effort to foster individual sovereignty and autonomy. This can only be done by debunking ALL untruth: "conspiracy theories" AND mainstream lies. You can be the judge of which is more dangerous to a "free" society. I truly hope the intentions of everyone here go beyond self gratification. That being said, let's debunk ALL untruth, especially that which is designed to mislead and deceive common people in order to undermine personal liberties. If we fail at this, we will find that everything else is quite trivial. This shouldn't be a radical idea for anyone who has a deep knowledge and understanding of world history. Deceit is the most powerful weapon in a tyrant's arsenal.

Long time lurker; first time posting as new member. Critical thinking is something we are losing as a society and it scares me. I've experienced seeing something I couldn't explain and have yet to find a valid answer. Looking directly up in the sky on July 4th 1992 in South Carolina myself and severals other were lying on our backs at night waiting for fireworks celebration. We witnessed a light in the sky which matched the brightness of the surrounding stars. It was slowly moving when we spotted it. A few seconds after spotting it it stopped moving a few seconds and then began to move slowly in a different direction only to stop a few seconds later and remain.

Hi, i am Tony, worked for 25 years in the IT field and project management discipline, i like to read about various subject matters that the metabunk community and Mick West investigate with such thoroughness and dedication to apply facts to interesting incidents/subject matters, look forward to actively participating after viewing content for so long.

Hello hello folks, I have been lurking for like 4 years (I just wanted to see the attachments with no commitments...ironic). But this place has been amazing for my personal growth. I have learned a lot about investigative thinking and being analytical and Mick's tools have been excellent in visualizing a lot of the events (globe curve, refraction have been so helpful).

Hello everyone. I ran across this website through the mention of FE youtuber DITRH. Just looking for a good place to gain knowledge and share information regarding the knowledge the world elites are hiding from us. ~ Jason

Hello everyone. I ran across this website through the mention of FE youtuber DITRH. Just looking for a good place to gain knowledge and share information regarding the knowledge the world elites are hiding from us. ~ Jason
Hint, Jason - I hope that's tongue-in-cheek, but if not, don't go all conspiracy theorist on us about the "world elites". It's a bad start, for a site that tries to determine the truth using facts, not just parrot what's called "truth" by YouTubers.

My name is Mike, and I have been admiring metabunk at a distance for several months now. I value the intellectual rigor and standards of discourse on evidence here. I probably won't have much to contribute for a while, apart from questions, but I am looking forward to learning from the participants in this forum.

Hi, Mick. I'm Listening to your book "Escaping The Rabbit Hole" as I heard you on a podcast lately about debunking conspiracies. I'm a Skeptical truck driver here in Ireland and listen to many podcasts at night, especially anything on skepticism and atheism. Thanks for letting me onto your Metabunk

Hi I found the Aguadilla uap video last week and was blown away, especially after the scientific uap groups's 180 page analysis. But what I wanted to see was what Mick did in his Aguadilla video (which very conveniently came out just a couple weeks ago) - see if theres a path for a balloon type object and movement that would fit. And it did. Then it led me to here and found more analysis, essentially showing how those pentagon uap videos could be simply explained with camera effects and glare, etc. So Im grateful to have found this site. However it makes me wonder how many more of those unsolved uaps could be solved if opened up to the public, and it also makes me feel like many involved want it to be true so bad they can't look at the facts objectively.

Hi there I'm an aged rocker and real ale drinker from north east England. No qualifications to speak of, well apart from being a James Randi, George Carlin fan and being banned a few times from David Icke forums, something about rocket engines not working in a vacuum or something, or doing battle with the homeopaths, I can't remember.

'There's an unceasing wind that blows through this night
And there's dust in my eyes, that blinds my sight
And silence that speaks so much louder than words
Of promises broken.'

Back