Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

Greetings,

I hope you are all well. Looking forward to the many topics and input. Especially interested in all manner of conspiracy theories, ancient aliens, (aquatic) cryptids and paranormal claims which I love to investigate, time permitting. May you all have a great day!

Hi Everyone! Found this site while researching some of the newest claims circling again about the portal over the White House as claimed by many. I know it is easy to debunk the photos and videos but what would be the cause to be able to see it with the natural eye? I personally believe there is a solid answer to this that explains this without jumping to the conspiracy theory issues about open portals. I do agree that we should always pray for whomever our President is, regardless of party however. Thank you all for your insight. I appreciate it.

Morning folks.. Insomnia once again, so figured Id introduce myself.

I'm just some old austrian pure blood in Iowa who's become political since the elections after being shadow banned from FB about covid. Deactivated my account and headed over to Gab and now twitter since they support free speech.

I haven't trusted MSM since Bush's WMD lie.

Who's the most trusted unbiased source of news, as I don't know what's true or not anymore?

Who's the most trusted unbiased source of news, as I don't know what's true or not anymore?
Well, you're not going to find it on Gab or Twitter. (Or FOX, for that matter; I hope you've not been spreading the Covid misinformation they've been peddling.)

Here's a source for you to find which sources have been shown to be most trustworthy: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/
Yes, I know the caveat is that you've got to trust the site that tells you who to trust, but it's not the only place for this kind of information, so feel free to browse. If you're mostly getting your info from fringe sites, they can lead you down the rabbit hole so deep that you no longer trust anyone, and that's no way to live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mick, my name is Rob. I am an aerospace engineer turned mathematical/scientific software developer and I just finished listening to you speaking on Steve Hassan's podcast. As an aerospace engineer I have long been interested in the explanations laypeople come up with for why certain things are either real (e.g. UFOs) or not real (e.g. the Apollo lunar landings), and how rarely their reasoning warrants any further investigation. The most difficult part, I find, is when an explanation is obvious to someone trained and experienced in the field but no matter how I try to simplify or analogise, the layperson simply will not accept it.
Earlier this year I got involved in a debate about one of the "newly released" UFO videos and I was using basic aero/thermodynamic theory to explain how the "UFO" could not possibly move through our atmosphere at Mach 20 (or whatever the obvious parallax effect implied) without creating large amounts of heat and sound. No matter what advanced technology the "aliens" possessed, there were still certain unavoidable rules of physics with which they must abide. Even if they had a way of moving the air around their craft without any friction whatsoever, moving air several metres and back again at that speed creates unavoidable shockwaves.
Needless to say, I eventually gave up because I had no answer for the return argument: "they clearly possess a technology that allows them to operate outside any rules of physics you think should apply".
Anyway, it all seemed to fade to nothing after a surprisingly short period of time and so I'd all but forgotten about it until I listened to you and Steve this morning. I look forward to reading about your process of debunking, and possibly even taking part when/if the subject crosses into any of my areas of expertise.

Hello Mick, my name is Rob. I am an aerospace engineer turned mathematical/scientific software developer.
No matter what advanced technology the "aliens" possessed, there were still certain unavoidable rules of physics with which they must abide. Even if they had a way of moving the air around their craft without any friction whatsoever, moving air several metres and back again at that speed creates unavoidable shockwaves.

Oh, my, a warm welcome indeed, and so pleasing to see you bring up that particular thing in your first post: one of our members recently coined the most magnificent phrase for the air that we are familiar with that behaves that way: "Air 1.0", @JMartJr in https://www.metabunk.org/threads/navy-ufo-reports-and-the-laws-of-physics.11773/post-249970 . Use of it is now a handy little shortcut to express the fact that some claims that defy the laws of nature or engineering would necessarily require a cascading set of additional changes to other well-established (version 1.0) laws of physics (with the implication that they have to literally make everything up (create version 2.0) to remain internally consistent).

Hello, Big fan of the Gimbal rotation of a glare demonstration you guys did, pretty conclusive and has bought many literally back down to earth. I then found it very telling that Lou Elizondo seemed to have no clue whatsoever of what a rotating glare even was. Also I was a big fan of the Tony hawks games as kid. So I guess I'm in the right place! I understand I will need to post other places to be fully verified which I will do in due course.
hope you guys had a good xmas & new year.

I came to this site hoping to find people who can help me with some anti-vax bullying on a different site I am not here to scoop members but I have run out of options and am so tired of being harassed mocked and ridiculed by anti-vax jerks

I came to this site hoping to find people who can help me with some anti-vax bullying on a different site I am not here to scoop members but I have run out of options and am so tired of being harassed mocked and ridiculed by anti-vax jerks

Sorry I can't help you there. I'm tuckered out these days and trying to work on projects which require my brain to be calmer than what many on-line places allow. Good luck! :)

Hi everyone,
I'm Branko, I live in North Macedonia, MD, neuropsychiatrist,
Thank`s to Mick (admin) for the explanation about "Go Fast".
I am a new member.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png

It's highly recommended that you first read the Posting Guidelines:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/
How do I post in the welcome thread?

Hiya,
I'm John J.,
I've been interested in 'the paranormal' for as long as I remember- loved (and was sometimes frightened by) my Usborne "World of the Unknown" illustrated books- "Ghosts", "UFOs" and "Monsters"- as a child. Back then pretty much believed everything, now a lot older and a little more worldly-wise I'm broadly skeptical, while accepting that people sometimes experience things that they find hard to explain in terms of our day-to-day reality. I remain interested in reports of strange phenomena, their lore, and the cultural context in which they occur.
I'm concerned, and saddened, at what I feel is the promotion of clearly irrational beliefs (and the associated denial of facts) by some politicians, 'influencers' and sections of the media in recent years. Equally concerned at the growth of conspiratorial thought narratives amongst (chiefly) on-line communities which sometimes seem to have less to do with concern for 'the people' (or a desire to seek truth) than the promulgation of highly questionable -and sometimes harmful- views.
Sometime registered nurse (inc. neuro ICU), sometime reserve military police NCO, cognitive science graduate. SF fan (books more than films). Favourite biscuit: McVitie's Chocolate Digestive.

I remain interested in reports of strange phenomena, their lore, and the cultural context in which they occur.
I'm concerned, and saddened, at what I feel is the promotion of clearly irrational beliefs (and the associated denial of facts) by some politicians, 'influencers' and sections of the media in recent years. Equally concerned at the growth of conspiratorial thought narratives
Welcome, John J. I share your concern. It's complicated by the difficulty of distinguishing between those who hold an irrational belief and those who cynically exploit the believers. They're the ones who promote or exaggerate a story to get attention — and sometimes just invent the whole thing. Sensible voices are appreciated here, even though not everyone wants to hear them.

Hi, folks! Dan W here (aka TokenEyes). I just discovered this community today (sorry to have missed the first nine years) after Mick referenced it while answering my question on Twitter. Thanks, looking forward to the collaboration here. My interest is UFO/UAP or perhaps The Phenomenon more broadly. I like facts and am against misinformation, disinformation, and flawed logic, but at the same time, I would not want to deny anyone's personal experience. So I would like to pursue the facts in a collegial manner. Thanks!

Hello, Metabunk!

This forum was recommended to me on a Flat Earth discussion group (not a flat-earth echo chamber, obviously). I particularly love your Politeness Policy. It fits not only my character but also everything that I've learned about helping victims of conspiracy scams to get out.

My personal experience:
  • As a teenager, long before the internet had been invented, I read a conspiracy book about the Illuminati. I was lucky; I discussed it with my father, and he rapidly disabused me of the idea, pointing out how unlikely the idea was. That experience helped me learn to be sceptical of wild claims.
  • I have been fascinated by the flat-earth scam for some time. I originally thought that the flat-earth leaders were terribly mistaken, but having seen the extent of their doctored images and videos, out-of-context memes, blatant lies, echo chambers, rapid banning of people who ask genuine questions, and more, I realised that they are in it for the money (and maybe the fame). Netflix's documentary Behind The Curve was instructive.
  • A close friend was sucked into the covid vaccination conspiracy scam. She nearly lost all of her friends and family through the nonsense. She was brought out not by showing her facts and evidence, which merely angered her and thrust her deeper into the hole, but by a gentle combination of listening, love, and support, and only then by gently providing debunking information. That taught me a lot!
I hope to learn more while here. Thank you for creating this forum.

Hi Everyone,
Thought I'd join as someone who bought into the JFK stuff for a short time as a teen in the 80s and then after working with Structural Steel in the 90s and early 2000s I thought I could shed some light early on to the 9/11 folks only to find out they weren't interested in anything other than theories. Around 2005 or so it finally occurred it's all about a conpiracy mindset, a worldview and facts and evidence really mean nothing to the conspiracy obsessed. I'm more interested in the psychological aspects of the conspiracy mind now.

Hello everyone. I hope I can be a useful contributor, I’m already a lurker learning new things with every visit. Computers, physics and photography are areas I might be able to be helpful with.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!

Greetings. I have spent far too many years looking into the UFO (now UAP) saga, and I'm no further forward! Why? No hard evidence - a true classic in studying facts being the Chilean 'UFO' - blatantly an aircraft, and it was looking at how Mick West dealt with this that led me to Metabunk.

Tell me you like Terry Pratchett and I'll be your friend forever... and welcome!
Now there was man who could put 'Headology' into simple words, and make it funny, to boot! No new discoveries on Discworld now...

I don't know you guys, our little local theater put on a production of Hogfather for the Holidays. It takes place in Discworld and Death has to take the place of the Hogfather (Santa?). I can see where maybe Burton used that idea for the Nightmare Before Christmas, but I will confess it didn't make me want to run out and buy a Terry Pratchett book. Of course I don't get the whole Dr. Who thing either, so....

Thanks. This is a superb site and seems to deal in reality.

I guess I should say a bit more about me. I'm a 90 year old retired physicist/engineer with a full career in aerospace/missiles and commercial electronics. I worked one year in The Netherlands on a government program but the rest of my career was here in the USA. I ended the last 12 years as the owner of a computer systems house.

I guess I should say a bit more about me. I'm a 90 year old retired physicist/engineer with a full career in aerospace/missiles and commercial electronics. I worked one year in The Netherlands on a government program but the rest of my career was here in the USA. I ended the last 12 years as the owner of a computer systems house.
Good Lord! I assume if I make it till 90, my mind will be such a confused jumble of confabulations I'll end up believing everything that has been debunked here. Welcome!

Good Lord! I assume if I make it till 90, my mind will be such a confused jumble of confabulations I'll end up believing everything that has been debunked here. Welcome!
Thanks, it was nice to find this group and I am sad to be leaving it because a moderator says that personal incredulity is insufficient to launch a query. I believe she will disenroll me.

I got a similar response from a doctor at the VA hospital on Thursday. "Did you drive here yourself?" Yes I did and I just replaced some leaking hydraulic seals on my old car, so why not drive here?

Thanks, it was nice to find this group and I am sad to be leaving it because a moderator says that personal incredulity is insufficient to launch a query. I believe she will disenroll me.

I got a similar response from a doctor at the VA hospital on Thursday. "Did you drive here yourself?" Yes I did and I just replaced some leaking hydraulic seals on my old car, so why not drive here?
I suggest you stick around, take any criticism that comes your way, and get more familiar with the way things work. I'm convinced there isn't a soul here who doesn't get things wrong sometimes. And perhaps you just need to think about your question and reword it.

I suggest you stick around, take any criticism that comes your way, and get more familiar with the way things work. I'm convinced there isn't a soul here who doesn't get things wrong sometimes. And perhaps you just need to think about your question and reword it.
Thanks but it's clear I don't belong here. What I need is a copy of the downloaded telemetry from the balloon. If anyone has it and can't decode it I will try. I assume that the data contains GPS coordinates and the atmospheric and any other data it is sending. Does anyone here have access to any downloads. My problem is that, even back here in Oklahoma, I no longer have any RF equipment. I do have my museum Cubitape which I developed in the 1970's but it's completely optical. Just as a side comment I have one of possibly two Cubitapes in existence. The other one is in the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History but not currently on display as of my last check.

Anyone here have any downloaded data?

A lurking member here for many years, was inspired today to post a 'debunking humor' item in service of potential guffaws!

Of late, particularly enjoying the fantastic analysis by NorCal Dave in the 'Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot film is a hoax?' thread, amongst many choice topics.

Tip of the hat and thanx to Mick West for all that you do here in creating, facilitating and maintaining this wonderful website and the healthy, worthwhile interactions in forums.

Yay!

Very glad to be here. My name is Collin, but I’ve always used “Borkna” which is the first 6 letters of the band Borknagar, which is an anagram of “Ragnarok” with a B added for good measure.
With the new wave of UAP activity, I figured it’s time I join Metabunk.
Frankly, it upsets me that most people refuse Occam’s Razor in most situations. I believe they are reaching because they don’t want to accept their reality. I believe there is enough wonder in our empirical reality. No need to yearn for anything more to be fulfilled. Of course, everyone wants there to be alien contact. But until there’s evidence for it, there’s no reason to believe it has happened. Most people don’t understand what evidence means, unfortunately.
I’ve been a fan of Mick for a couple of years now and have read his book. Looking forward to the next one.
Thank you everyone. Excited to read your posts here.

Hi, appreciate the work Metabunk does in solving a lot of UFO reports. That being said, I've had my own UFO sighting and would like to find some common ground solving this mystery.

Back