Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

Hi all, found my way to this forum via some of the analysis done on the US Navy UFO videos, which I'll look to contribute to. Backround working in IT, do quite a lot of random open source side projects and a hobbyist game developer (wish I made Tony Hawk's).

Hi, I am here to discuss science and ethics and how they collide in numerous situations. Most specifically of course is the current ... um ... 'event'. I really do not know how to name it, as I reckon most claims to knowledge are really just beliefs. My core thesis is in computational astrophysics, which I see as the benchmark of method.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once it has been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png

It's highly recommended that you first read the Posting Guidelines:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/
Hi,thanks for having me
I joined because i've devoted myself to become more proactive in the massive undertaking of fighting the war against misinformation,disinformation, propaganda, conspiracy theories and all around mental chicanery that is so prevalent in our society..and this looks like a great resource in that battle..that is all.. carry on...lol

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once it has been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!

indirectly, Barbara Honegger brought me here

I found this site when I was invesigating the plausability of man (humankind) having the power or ability to influenece or change the natural seasons. I could not belive (humankind) had the arrogance to belive that was possible.

Hi everyone, I found the site via Mick’s “Rabbit Hole” book. Actually I downloaded the audiobook and started listening to it today.
In the distant past I had the pleasure of working with James Randi and am a founder member of the UK group the Association for Skeptical Enquiry (ASKE for short).
I’ve recently become curious about conspiracy theories (and theorists) which seem to have sprouted up in response to the pandemic. Mick’s book will hopefully give me guidance on having more productive visits to Twitter.
Really looking forward to learning more.
Best wishes to all,
Tony

Hello all I’m started out as a chemistry major but went to France when my dad died because my parents were from there. She died when I was still a teenager and so I went searching (both literally for family and figuratively for ... ) as well as to reclam the language of my mother who had taken great pride in teaching in me (people ask me where I’m from in both countries lol) I read a book by Bill Bryson called Mother Tongue which set me on the track I’m on now. I taught English for many years in Montpellier and am now working on my Master’s in linguistics, ... I found this site looking about election fraud because I’m always skeptical about what the media is telling us. I see here that it’s much more evidence based - hard to find that these days. I eventually want to be a researcher so this site looks to have like minded individuals. My name is Justin ... pronounced [ ʒys.tɛ̃] or [Juice-tan] kind of, if you pronounce the j like in jeep the u like you’re sucking a lemon and the tan if you force the sound tan makes up your nose from inside your mouth and don’t say the “N” ... easy... if there’s one thing I truly care about and we don’t have it in France - it’s the absolute right of free speech which seems to be in danger sometimes.

FatPhil here - found this place via some Thunderf00t youtube vid debunking last year's "UFO" release. Maths/science kinda guy, with a high probability of approaching things with a Bayesian perspective, with no patience for illogic, and the throwing out of all the signal in order to join the dots from the noise (to make a 'Q' shape, bizarrely). I spend my leisure time surrounded by hobby coding projects, beer, and music.

Where can I post my virgin hello? Only in the REPLY box?

This is a super-excellent site. Especially so in this age of discredited journalism.

[Off topic material removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I found this forum through reading the book on Escaping the Rabbit Hole and looking for some debunks of 911 CTs. I am military historian with a broad interests in all kinds of global political affairs, especially when they overlap with scientific concerns.

Hi, everyone. I'm a former member, known as Jazzy. I stopped posting because my ego was beginning to outweigh the general interests of this community. (I used to be a werewolf, but I'm much better now-oooooo.) My family and I are doing fine on Tenerife, the lockdown hardly affects old hermits whose friends are mostly dead already. I still swim in the ocean except when it gets below 20 deg C. My only ambition left (Elon Musk took all the others) is to make an electric scooter with very fat tyres which will climb this volcano, which, as you can see in this photo, looks sensational. Cheers.
138030175_3770696602988935_8695657625020430399_n.jpg

Hi, it's me again, with another picture, this time of La Palma. We're getting interesting weather down here:
138044757_246488896869888_5914264667554140582_o.jpg

Hello everyone,
I am a licensed clinical social worker with 28 years of experience in the field. I have been working as a school social worker for 22 years and also have a private practice. My main area of expertise is with adolescents and children though I work with adults. I came across this site in the past few days seeking information debunking "The Fall of the Cabal" and Qanon in general. I am a news and information junkie, and subscribe to The Atlantic, NYT, Slate, New York Magazine, and other publications, so I guess my political leanings are obvious. I never attempt to impose my political views on anyone. I am strongly influenced by William James as well as humanistic psychology in general. I truly value this site and particularly appreciate the focus on respect and compassion as opposed to attacking others.
I play various instruments, love every type of music and literature. My favorite modern writer is Don DeLillo. Favorite classic writer is Dostoevsky.
I am presently reading "Escaping the Rabbit Hole..." and find it fascinating and quite helpful.
I look forward to being a member of this community.
Peace

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

Hi all

Just got the book. Engineering background .needing help with a few friends.

Hi all, I found this site through the great book 'Escaping the Rabbit Hole' and have long been drawn to my own version of conspiracy stories. I consider myself almost dry now and like an alcoholic would say " I haven't researched a conspiracy story today" - if you get my meaning.

It was so easy to follow the likes of David Icke (go look at his tax returns and you'll see who really benefits) to a million and one other players all with a vested interest in having them join their own particular club! But no more, for the first time I am able to look at the world with my own eyes and formulate opinions with my mind and it is very liberating indeed. Now I consider myself standing outside the 'Rabbit Hole' looking in I can see what I have been missing, common sense and logic.

The next step is to help my stepfather, a hopeless addict to conspiracies who like a brainwashed religious cult member, will require a lot of 'deprogramming', everything in his life is a conspiracy and he point blank refuses to listen to any form of sensible, calm rational debate - but I'll never give up.

Thanks for a great forum and helping an old fart finally escape the Rabbit Hole.

Hey fellas! I recently found this site thanks to a bit of a wormhole starting at an AronRa video. After a bit of scrolling to figure out what this site entailed, I decided to join it.
I'm a college student from Mississippi in the U.S. and I often need help combating the misinformation that much of my family constantly shares on the likes of facebook.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once that post, and a few posts in another sub-forum, have been approved.

Hi! I'm new to the group. I found my way here researching Qanon bc my sister is down that rabbit hole. Her behavior is unusual and concerning so I'm trying to get informed. I read a Psychology Today article (in 3 parts) that named this site as a good source for debunking Qanon claims. Thanks!

Hello, I stumbled across this site a few years ago and it has become a favorite of mine. As I have been an avid skywatcher for most of my life I have an interest in atmospheric phenomena that makes me bristle against conspiracy theories or just plain unfounded or idle speculation of natural or man made occurrences. SpaceX launch from Nov. 2020 viewed from my neighborhood._DSC0231r.jpg

Hi there, completely new to this group. I joined because I have a loved one who has completely gone down the rabbit hole and has changed from a compassionate, kind and loving person into a paranoid and obsessed Q believer. I need help.

first timer - looking for detailed QAnon debunking help. Thanks
Hi there, I am as well. I feel a bit overwhelmed as I am not used to this type of format. Have you found anything that debunks any of the theories? I have a loved one who has gone DEEP down the rabbit hole.

Hi there, I am as well. I feel a bit overwhelmed as I am not used to this type of format. Have you found anything that debunks any of the theories? I have a loved one who has gone DEEP down the rabbit hole.
if you use google (or any search engine maybe) you can type site:metabunk.org theory keywords

this will give you hits only from the metabunk site.

if you use google (or any search engine maybe) you can type site:metabunk.org theory keywords

this will give you hits only from the metabunk site.
Thank you! I appreciate it. This is so scary to see this person completely shift gears and do a 180. I can use all the help I can get at this point.

Thank you! I appreciate it. This is so scary to see this person completely shift gears and do a 180. I can use all the help I can get at this point.
if you click "Forums" on top of page and scroll there is a section called "escaping the rabbit hole", there are stories that people who have escaped the rabbit hole share. These stories might give you some insights on how best to approach your loved one.
Escaping The Rabbit Hole | Metabunk

edit add: quick advice, as a conservative - the biggest issue i see is that concerns are just dismissed out of hand. Dont do that. :) its likely they are seeing information that you are not aware of, aside from just "alt-right" sources. I would ask what sources they use and maybe spend some time reading or watching those sources yourself to get a general idea of what information they are consuming.

Hello, hoping I have the right spot to say Hi and do an introduction. Sorry I'm not using even a bit of my real name because of 'debates' elsewhere with some of the less rational folks on line. I work in a University School of Science as a technician. (On all sorts of stuff, there aren't many of us and we serve many masters.)

I first ran into a Mick West YouTube post on the Tic Tac and other videos. Awesome analysis and debunk. (And I REALLY need to study that 'stay cool logical and rational' bit he has mastered, maybe I could start using my real name again ;-)

Decided to pop over here from YouTube and when I got here I scanned the splash page and found THIS, from Nov 16. I needed an account, if only just to say SPOT ON! :

Edit: Regards the "External Source" flag below. The quote is from one of Mick West's posts linked
on the home page:
This one
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/a-skeptical-call-to-arms.11454/

I regret not leaving the link, but I thought everyone would likely get it from the text of what I wrote, if not the text of the quote itself.

"A Skeptical Call To Arms
Content from External Source

I am deeply concerned by the direction that Donald Trump is taking the country with his refusal to admit his clear defeat and his promotion of disinformation regarding election fraud. I am taking action.

While Trump's claims have been largely rebutted by bipartisan election officials, and his lawsuits are being rejected by a bipartisan judiciary, millions of people believe in his incendiary Tweets claiming victory and alleging widespread evidence of interference in the election.

It seems probable that he will leave the Whitehouse on January 20th, 2021, but he is not going quietly, and the damage that his rhetoric is both causing and enabling will last for many years, perhaps decades to come."
[...]
Content from External Source

This looks like the one of the most needed sites on the internet right now.

Last edited:
Hi all!

Not really "new", but old and came back, i guess? Was here a long time ago, loved the atmosphere, the debates and insight you people offered. But life happened and I drifted away. With the current climate on social media, (fake) news and the conspiracies, I decided to come back to one of my favorites places on the internet.

Glad to see the forum is still active.

Hi all , just joined today. I'm Iain and only discovered this site thanks to Mick's book I just bought for my sister ,who has been down the rabbit hole for years to the point it's as if she's a religious extremist / cult member . Hope everything is going well for you guys , hopefully chat at some point :)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Reid, and I'm a US citizen and lover of science and philosophy. I'm also a Christian theist, and classically liberal. A friend let me know about this forum after I expressed concern about the growing conspiracism in the US. Looking forward to future interactions.

Hi all.
Found this site through Mick’s ‘Escaping the Rabbit Hole’ book, after hearing about the book via BBC’s Marianna Spring.
I’m 54, from the UK.
I’ve been debating various conspiracy theories for a few years with a close friend, whose belief in the theories has spiralled over the last couple of years to the point that I’ve began to think I need a bit more knowledge to help get him back out of the hole.
I’ve only had the book a couple of days but finding it very interesting and helpful.
Looking forward to trawling through the info on this site.

Hi all,

I found my way here from Mick's book, which I read because my girlfriend is pretty deeply embedded in conspiracy theories (thankfully not QAnon). I can already tell there are lots of useful resources here. I'm sad and angry that charlatans have taken advantage of her genuine concern for making the world a better place for all people. As I'm sure many here have experienced, I feel hopeless (and helpless) because any source of factual information is deemed part of the "corporate media" or otherwise clearly a dupe of the oligarchs. It's good, although also a bit sad, to see there's a community of folks in similar situations.

Hi! I'm new to the group. I found my way here researching Qanon bc my sister is down that rabbit hole. Her behavior is unusual and concerning so I'm trying to get informed. I read a Psychology Today article (in 3 parts) that named this site as a good source for debunking Qanon claims. Thanks!
Hi! I’m new too and I’m also here looking for support and resources to help a loved one. Nice to meet you!

Hi there!
I'm reading Mick's excellent book and am trying to help my husband who is deeply entrenched down the rabbit hole. This seems to be a great site and I'm looking forward to gleaning some good debunking information and skills.
Hi! I’m here for more or less the same reason. How are things going for you and your husband?

Hi all,

I found my way here from Mick's book, which I read because my girlfriend is pretty deeply embedded in conspiracy theories (thankfully not QAnon). I can already tell there are lots of useful resources here. I'm sad and angry that charlatans have taken advantage of her genuine concern for making the world a better place for all people. As I'm sure many here have experienced, I feel hopeless (and helpless) because any source of factual information is deemed part of the "corporate media" or otherwise clearly a dupe of the oligarchs. It's good, although also a bit sad, to see there's a community of folks in similar situations.
Hi, in new here but this is also happening at my house. I know it’s felt very isolating for me, maybe it has for you too. I just wanted to reach out and say hi.

Hi there, completely new to this group. I joined because I have a loved one who has completely gone down the rabbit hole and has changed from a compassionate, kind and loving person into a paranoid and obsessed Q believer. I need help.
Hi! I came because of the same thing. For me, the person is my husband. If you ever need to talk to someone who is also going through this, please feel free to reach out. For me this has been really isolating and maybe it feels that way to you to.

Hi guys!

You can call me Raza. I found this place when I was reading about different conspiracies. I really like this place because it has a lot of meaningful discussions. I have been lurking for a few months and I thought I should finally make an account.

Not sure why I'm still tagged a new member, I joint back in Jan '19 and made several post since.

My journey into the rabbit hole is different than most. A year or so after the Fukushima nuclear disaster in March 2011, I read a main stream article, which included a video about research studying radiation found in dust particles from a home in Japan. I looked to see if the video was on YouTube, and it was like I stepped into a room where everyone was under a spell, and I was the only one not affected. Nearly all the videos were outrageous conspiracies like how the US west coast should have been evacuated, and Fukushima radiation was killing all life in the Pacific ocean. After my very first YouTube comment, I was called a shill and told to go eat Pacific tuna. I spent the next several years debunking these claims, with the help of other Youtube channels. One of the best channels GoddardsJournal is researched based, and featured some of Mick's work. That's how I came to know Metabunk.

The best tool used against the Fukushima fear mongers was math. By converting the enormous radiation numbers into mass, it was obvious that a few kilograms of radioactive material could never kill the entire ocean, especially when much more radioactivity was introduced during the atomic bomb testing, and all the man made material is a tiny fraction compared to the earths natural radioactivity.

I've since moved on to debunking flat earth, which believe it or not is a friendlier topic, but still is used as a wedge that separated otherwise normal intelligent people form reality.

Last edited:
Back