USS Omaha UFO / UAP Radar Video

Also, worth noting, there is a drone base on San Clemente Island that was built from a derelict airstrip sometime between 2014-2018

https://satellites.pro/USA_map#32.946860,-118.532774,19

1622175334073.png
A really good point. I think this right there is the key to the ufos. See this map from 6 years ago and how much unmanned flight activity is now happening from the island closest to where these sightings were.

2014 image attached.

Attachments

• SanClemente2015.png
    SanClemente2015.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 337
138 knots is actually pretty fast for a drone, and usually can only be accomplished by the higher performance, larger air frame versions. The ones that rival actual aircraft in size. For example, the MQ-1 Predator tops out at 117 knots. The RQ-21 Blackjack, which seems to be the primary US Navy drone, tops out at 90 knots. 138 knots for a drone in a drone swarm would probably warrant a "holy shit", especially when it seems the rest were cruising at 50 knots.
Thank you for the information!

However, in the List of Fastest Military Drones in The World, the Rustam H, with a top speed of 225 kmph has a wingspan of 7m.

Rustom - H

The Camcopter S-100, with a max speed of 120 kn(220 km/h) has a wingspan of 3.11 m. Also, 18 of these were purchased by China in 2010.

Camcopter S-100

As you said, there are also drones with wingspan of 16.6m, 20m and 40m.

Apparently, drone racing is a thing. As of April 2019, the world speed record for a non-military drone was over 160 mph, and in short bursts speeds of up to 180 mph were possible. Still, 138 knots is indeed pretty fast, if it was not a radar glitch or a misreading of the data on screen.
Weren't there also very strong 40 knots winds during the event. A light drone moving at around 100 knots, at the right angle, could accelerate up to 138 knots. Do we have the wind direction available anywhere ?

Last edited:
Thank you for the information!

However, in the List of Fastest Military Drones in The World, the Rustam H, with a top speed of 225 kmph has a wingspan of 7m.

Rustom - H

The Camcopter S-100, with a max speed of 120 kn(220 km/h) has a wingspan of 3.11 m. Also, 18 of these were purchased by China in 2010.

Camcopter S-100

As you said, there are also drones with wingspan of 16.6m, 20m and 40m.

Got to remember as per the Omaha Sphere video, winds were gusting that day to 40knt. So not sure if the radar data is from the same day. Was that confirmed?

Got to remember as per the Omaha Sphere video, winds were gusting that day to 40knt. So not sure if the radar data is from the same day. Was that confirmed?
No, I don't think we have confirmation for dates or collaboration with other events. However, if the wind speed was 40 kn, then a contact flying at a speed of around 100,105 kn may have been accelerated up to 138 kn if the wind was at the right angle. Also, do we know if the speeds the officer throws out are relative to the ground or the ship ?

Sorry for the delay, folks. I had to go down a few rabbit holes to figure out how to assemble and process KML files. Attached is a zip file containing a KML file with the following data:

• Position data for all ships between the date/times 2019-07-16 00:00:00 UTC and 2019-07-16 12:00:00 UTC. This is approximately four hours before to eight hours after the calculated times when the videos were taken, based on what we know about the location of the Sea Ace relative to the Omaha. The data is limited to a 60 NM radius circle around an arbitrary point I chose that seems to be close to the center of the action. I can easily expand that circle by request, since one of the rabbit holes I went down was to figure out how to do spatial queries in a database ;)
Event center - Copy.png
  • Note: all timestamps are in UTC. The position data comes in samples one minute apart but, for size and performance reasons, the samples in the KML are reduced to the first sample found every five minutes (no position averaging is performed). If there are less than 10 samples in an entire track for a ship, the entire dataset is included (e.g. the vessel 'Variable' (see more below))
  • The position data is setup so that each placemarker in the KML appears for a timespan starting at it's actual starting time and ending at the beginning of the next (sampled) event. I.e.: if we take every fifth record then the placemarker is correct the first time it appears but even though the ship is moving for the next 5 minutes the placemarker will remain stationary. If needed I can produce a KML with the raw one minute increments but that'll probably bring your computer to its knees :)
    • Basically this means you can use the time slider in Google Earth to animate the ships as they sail through the area. Instructions on how to do this below
timespan - Copy.png
  • Military ships are shown as a red triangle. Civilian ships are shown as green circle. There is no reliable indication in the data for what is a military ship (I think) so this is a guess based on the name and a little side research
ship types - Copy.png
  • Full vectors showing the path of every ship for the duration of the time window. Again, red for military and green for civilians.
vectors - Copy.png
  • A circle showing the projected outer ring of the Omaha's radar console as shown in the video, based on a best guess of her location inferred from the video content. This is the union of the 10 NM outer ring from all four clips in the video
omaha radar ring - Copy.png

To load the data, just open the KML file in Google Earth. Then go get a coffee and pray your computer is beefy enough to handle the data while the program chugs away. As soon as it's finished loading, do this using the time range control that should pop up in the top-left of the window:

time range full - Copy.png

1. Scroll the right side time marker (end time) to the middle of the time range
time range middle - Copy.png

2. Scroll the left side time marker (beginning time) to snug it right up against the right marker
time range union - Copy.png

3. Scroll the right marker all the way to the beginning of the time range
time range left - Copy.png

This should tell Google Earth that you want to show an instant in time, not a time range. Then you can move the right marker around in the time range and watch all the ships zipping about :) You may want to follow this guide to turn off un-needed features and speed up Google Earth to make it a bit easier to work with the data.

So is this useful? I'm not sure. It's certainly interesting and maybe someone will be able to find some insights from it, or maybe we'll find other data that we can correlate with this stuff. Honestly I was hoping to see tracks for a bunch of speedboats or rigid inflatables zipping around a few nautical miles from the Omaha but alas it was not to be ;) Still, at least it excludes that. One thing that is interesting is the vessel 'Variable'. It and the Sea Ace appear to be the only two vessels that pass through the Omaha's radar circle (albeit a few hours after we think that clips 1, 2 and 3 of the video were recorded). For some reason though its AIS has only three records for the entire time period even though it obviously traverses the entire area of interest. I looked at the complete record for the three days and its AIS reports very intermittently and almost randomly. It might be interesting to see if its position relative to the Omaha matches up with any of the surface contacts shown on the screens, although of course it's not really a vessel that can do 138 knots ;)

variable.png

On a humorous side note, someone seems to have moored the Variable in the marina and then walked away with the AIS transmitter, dropped their friend off in a suburban neighborhood and then driven to LAX to fly out of the city :) Either that or it's an AIS transmitter attached to A DRONE. (LOL, kidding. Is he kidding?) I'll double check the data but it looks legit to me so far.

variable path - Copy.png

Attachments

• Omaha Event.zip
    145.6 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
As for the vessel Variable, all i can find is that it is a pleasure craft registered under the USA. It keeps its AIS transistor off most of the time. The last position received was 18 days ago ( May 2, 17:37 UTC, docked at the Marina Del Ray). It spends lot times in the dock, and seems to go out for short forays, returning the next day. It does not have a call sign or IMO no. Does any one have more information about this ship ?

Got to remember that the fleet encountered drones from at least the 14th to at least the 30th. ie over two weeks

So if it were a foreign ship launching these drones. The NAVY must be run by the most inept people in the world to let it go on for literally weeks.

I lean towards it being a US test of drone tech, or to test Fleet reaction or both. Possibly to define/refine tactics on dealing with drones and note how the drone tech fared.

According to the article below, the drones kept appearing even after the investigation led to classified briefings

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...us-drones-off-california-over-numerous-nights

The Drive article says that the drone activity started again from 25th to 30th July. What were the ships within a 100nm radius of San Clemente Island during that time ?

The Drive article says that the drone activity started again from 25th to 30th July. What were the ships within a 100nm radius of San Clemente Island during that time ?
I'm done for the day but I should be able to get this and produce KMLs in the next 24 hours.

Got to remember that the fleet encountered drones from at least the 14th to at least the 30th. ie over two weeks
Right. And the USS KIDD, which also reported encounters, was 90 nautical miles away when things got exciting. My guess is also that this was a drone exercise. Send a bunch of drones out to harass a bunch of ships in the middle of an exercise, maybe without telling them ahead of time-- what better way to get a real-world assessment of the readiness of the fleet to deal with such threats?

1622355172939.png

Last edited:
As far as I can gather, all sorts of training exercises!
Here's the USS Gabrielle Giffords running an exercise with an unmanned surface vessel on July 26, for example.
https://www.dvidshub.net/image/5619616/uss-theodore-roosevelt-cvn-71
1622360222972.png
The Independence-varient [SIC] littoral combat ship USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS 10) maneuvers to deter an unmanned vessel during a small boat attack exercise.
Content from External Source
As best as I can gather, the ships in the area were running various training exercises. I do need to make an amendment to my previous posts, which is that I am no longer convinced the crew training aboard the USS Omaha was the gold crew for the USS Montgomery. Judging by the timeline it was possibly a different LCS crew in training.

Right. And the USS KIDD, which also reported encounters, was 90 nautical miles away when things got exciting. My guess is also that this was a done exercise. Send a bunch of drones out to harass a bunch of ships in the middle of an exercise, maybe without telling them ahead of time-- what better way to get a real-world assessment of the readiness of the fleet to deal with such threats?
I am not sure about the drone theory. Let me explain.

There is some circumstantial evidence that there was secret drone testing being conducted, for example the below slide is from a 2017 briefing on upcoming/planned SWATT activities (the training that was being conducted on the USS Omaha prior to July 14).
From https://www.westconference.org/West18/Custom/Handout/Speaker0_Session6209_1.pdf
NSWDC presentation 3.png
...Experiments during SWATT...
2018/2019 – UxS and C-UxS
Unmanned Mine Neutralization Experiment will leverage the combination of USVs and ROVs to alleviate requirements to place human operators in danger areas • End-to-end UxS MCM operations
UAS and UXS . Experimentation to evaluate new UxS systems which help close gaps and validate new variants of MQ-8C Firescout and MQ-4C Triton.
Black Dart Maritime 2018 . Experiment will examine near-term C-UAS capabilities in response to urgent operational needs and current events in the maritime environment: • Validation of C-UAS TTP
From my previous posts, evidence that SWATT (the specific training being mentioned in this briefing) was being conducted on the USS Omaha around the time of the July events has been shown. I also showed evidence that such training was filmed for debrief purposes.

However, we don't know if the specific drone testing mentioned here took place (and if it was, that's not something we could expect to know as they are referring to testing "new variants" which would presumably be at a higher classification level). This presentation is also from two years before July 2019.

As a hypothesis, drone testing does seem to fit some of the established facts. However, speedboats also fit some of the established facts of the radar video. I think we need some more information.

Thanks for the great analysis !

While I saw that there are several speed boats capable of approaching speeds of =<250 kmph, would they be able to maneuver in stormy conditions ?
The evidence of 138kn speed comes from the speaker - the readout we see doesn't seem to agree. I highlighted that here:
I'm deeply curious as to where the speaker gets the 138 knots measurement from. The UI as posted by Mick and as seen in the video has two places where SOG (Speed over ground) is displayed in knots.

sog highlight mick ui.png
sog highlight corbell radar.png

During all other clips where speed is given by the speaker, the SOG is displayed on the right hand panel and seems (to my naked eye, having slowed down and attempted to sharpen the footage the best I can make out are how many digits there are) to align with what is said. However, during the "138 knots" clip, the SOG is not being displayed on the right hand panel. The upper left panel where it would be displayed appears to show a two digit number (with one decimal place).
sog highlight 138 claim.png

So it doesn't seem like the speaker can be getting the 138 knots figure from any of the displayed instrumentation. Would they have been able to get that figure from elsewhere, perhaps a different display tracking something else? Is it possibly a mistake in relaying the COG (course over ground), which is measured in degrees and does appear to be a three digit number?

Excluding the 138 knot outlier, the other mentioned speeds are 46, 50, and 55 knots.

The evidence of 138kn speed comes from the speaker - the readout we see doesn't seem to agree. I highlighted that here:
One possibility is that the radar was displaying the ground speed while the speaker says the relative speed, since that particular contact seems to be moving head on towards the ship. We have so little context for the clips, it's hard to say anything

The Navy base on San Clemente Island would be an obvious source for drones (fixed wing or copter) but it would be surprising if that was the whole story. Even if the drone operations were secret at the time, would the Navy really let media speculation about 'drone incursions' run riot if they knew all along that the mystery objects were their own drones? Surely they would issue some general statement about 'training exercises' to reassure the public.

The Navy base on San Clemente Island would be an obvious source for drones (fixed wing or copter) but it would be surprising if that was the whole story. Even if the drone operations were secret at the time, would the Navy really let media speculation about 'drone incursions' run riot if they knew all along that the mystery objects were their own drones? Surely they would issue some general statement about 'training exercises' to reassure the public.
Like they did with the Tic Tac happenings including the Radar stuff, and also how they did with the Gimbal stuff?

Yeah, the military don't give a shizen about the media and what people speculate. Look at all the sightings of the SR-71 and more recently the stealth triangular aircraft that people thought were UFO's. If it's classified or secret, they ain't saying anything

Just for geographic reference

This is where the Skunkworks and Plant 42 are . ie where they develop advanced aerospace/aircraft technology / black projects. All the usual suspects are there .

I wonder where they would test new aircraft tech, drones etc, geez I wonder . Hmmmmm

1622379041158.png

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but according to this document, the INP's budget decreased from 2018 to 2019 due to the completion of project Nemesis. I'm sorry if this is off-topic.

FY 2018 to FY 2019 Increase/Decrease Statement:The FY18 to FY19 decrease is due primarily to the completion of Nemesis, a distributed EW systems project.

Just for geographic reference

This is where the Skunkworks and Plant 42 are . ie where they develop advanced aerospace/aircraft technology / black projects. All the usual suspects are there .

I wonder where they would test new aircraft tech, drones etc, geez I wonder . Hmmmmm
Doesn't make sense. Unless we think a private company is testing advanced tech without the US govmt involvement.

Lockheed however is deep within the industrial militar complex. If they are working on this the US government knows about it and is probably paying for it.

Maybe other companies such as Space X but why hide it? What's the secret?

The conspiracy about the government purposefully lying about a black project while simultaneously releasing videos, statements, reports and running investigations just doesn't make any sense.

Or, at least, they thought they were encountering drones to at least the 30th. Once a flap starts, whether a "traditional" UFO flap or a more modrn drone flap (or even an evil clown lurking in the woods flap!) folks tend to see UFOS, drone (or clowns) until the hyseria dies down -- whether they are there or not.

Case in point:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/my...er-colorado-and-nebraska-chasing-venus.11048/

Unclassified ? I wonder what that's referring to

1622177181872.png
Corbell's website says, "This footage is unclassified."

https://www.extraordinarybeliefs.com/news4/navy-ufo-radar-data

APPROXIMATE LOCATION OF SHIP / USS OMAHA
32°29'21.9”N 119°21'53.0”W (Warning area off of San Diego)

APPROXIMATE DATE & TIME OF EVENT SERIES
Monday July 15th, between the hours of 9pm - 11pm PST

DETAILS
  • Minimum 14 targets (estimate).
  • Minimum 6ft in diameter - solid mass (estimate).
  • Varying speeds from 40 kts - 138 kts (46 mph - 158 mph +).
  • Flight lasting longer than an hour.
  • Unknowns were self-illuminated.
  • Neither origin, nor launch or landing points were able to be determined.
  • Unknown vehicles picked up on more than two types of RADAR.
  • Still images of this footage were included in the May 1st, 2020 UAPTF intelligence briefing that I have previously reported on.
  • It is noted in intelligence reports that the “spherical” craft appeared to be transmedium capable, and were observed descending into the water without destruction.
  • It is noted in intelligence reports that the “spherical” craft could not be found upon entry to the water - that a submarine was used in the search - and recovered nothing.
  • This footage is unclassified.
  • Craft remain unidentified - officially.

“The most impressive evidence we witnessed was their endurance. The event lasted over an hour with all contacts just disappearing. We were never able to discern where they departed to.” - Crewman, USS Omaha

Corbell's website says, "This footage is unclassified."
I'm clearly no expert in this area but I think the green square on the display saying 'Unclassified' more likely is saying that the currently selected contact is unclassified. I.e.: the system has not automatically identified it (using AIS for starters I suppose) and the operator has not specified its classification.

Doesn't seem intuitively right that the secure operations area on a warship would have a button or telltale to let everyone know that the data on the screen is unclassified

I don't know how much weight we can give Corbell's list of points, which may be just his interpretations of the data or what he has been told at second or third hand, but I note he states that 'unknowns were self-illuminated'. If they were drones this would imply that they had display lights of some kind, which is not uncommon for recreational drones. If they had lights, then there ought to be video or photographic evidence in existence. This might clear a lot of mysteries up.
As to the 'Unclassified' marking, I like Heavytread's interpretation. It's difficult to see how a security classification could be applied in advance of knowing what is on the screen! It might turn out to be something highly sensitive. In any case, I doubt that even an 'Unclassified' security marking would give service personnel carte blanche to leak it. Military/naval discipline would still apply, though it does not seem to be applied very strictly these days. Is it normal for sailors to use terms like 'holy crap' in the presence of officers?

Regarding the speed of these contacts, I think the operator is reading and narrating them correctly and they correlate with what we see on the screen. In clip 2, the operator says '781 just sped up to [...] fifty knots'. There's a target on the screen that seems to correlate with that behavior, seems to be tagged with '78[something]' and has extra chevrons around it probably indicating that it's selected. In the data panel on the right hand side you can see that 'Target 781' is designated and the SOG appears to be 52.1 KN (this screen shot isn't perfect but if you scrub back and forth through the video it's more apparent) and just before this screenshot the SOG changes from 40 something to 50 something. (48 to 51 I think)

1622394912388.png

I have a hunch that the dotted line from each target is a projected path, and the length of the line denotes speed (actually to be accurate it probably denotes the projected path of the target over some pre-defined period like a minute or 30 seconds or whatever). So, if we overlay two shots of the video, being very careful to line up the range rings to make sure the scales are similar, we get this:

1622394972915.png

The 282 px line is from target 781 in the second clip in the video (from the screenshot above). The 369 px line is from the next clip where the operator seems to be talking about something going '138 knots'. Maybe the indicator for the speed goes way off screen and the operator is reading from some other display, but I don't see anywhere he could be seeing that info since it's not a selected target. Maybe there's another radar screen they're looking at and that target is selected? Maybe in this part of the video we aren't even focused on the screen the operators are talking about?

(BTW he isn't talking about target 781 going 138 knots here. You can see that its predicted path is much shorter and (you can't see it in the video because of the overlay) he has changed tab for the data readout on the right so that SOG is no longer shown for the selected target)

We can do the same trick for all the targets in the last clip of the video. We don't see anything going 138 kn but we do see a few going to plaid at ~90 or ~112 knots. Curiouser and curiouser.

1622395022659.png

Last edited:
I need to get on with other stuff for the day but one last thought: if the Omaha is seeing this stuff on commercial rather than military radar, and the Sea Ace is a big expensive car hauler with no doubt some very expensive radar to make sure that the ocean floor isn't littered with Toyotas, shouldn't they have at least seen the thing zipping around on radar just about two nautical miles away? Given that a ship that size turns with the approximate handling and braking characteristics of a planet-sized block of lead, wouldn't their radar need to reach out way past a few nautical miles? And so wouldn't they have seen this entire thing unfolding?

I wonder if it's possible to track down who would have been on the bridge at that time and interview them. Another possible line of inquiry I guess.

I'm clearly no expert in this area but I think the green square on the display saying 'Unclassified' more likely is saying that the currently selected contact is unclassified. I.e.: the system has not automatically identified it (using AIS for starters I suppose) and the operator has not specified its classification.

Doesn't seem intuitively right that the secure operations area on a warship would have a button or telltale to let everyone know that the data on the screen is unclassified

You may be right about the first part, but classification level has to be marked appropriately, and Unclassified is typically color-coded green while Secret is red.

For example, Elizondo's CDs
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/my-chat-with-luis-elizondo.11660/post-246501

As to the 'Unclassified' marking, I like Heavytread's interpretation. It's difficult to see how a security classification could be applied in advance of knowing what is on the screen! It might turn out to be something highly sensitive. In any case, I doubt that even an 'Unclassified' security marking would give service personnel carte blanche to leak it.

Security classification could depend on the maximum range, for example.
Pentagon spokeswoman Susan Gough made it clear that the leak wasn't authorized: “I can’t comment on what we may doing about these unauthorized releases at this time.”

Security classification could depend on the maximum range, for example.
Pentagon spokeswoman Susan Gough made it clear that the leak wasn't authorized: “I can’t comment on what we may doing about these unauthorized releases at this time.”
Even unclassified material still requires authorization for release, so it doesn't need to be classified to be an unauthorized release.

I need to get on with other stuff for the day but one last thought: if the Omaha is seeing this stuff on commercial rather than military radar, and the Sea Ace is a big expensive car hauler with no doubt some very expensive radar to make sure that the ocean floor isn't littered with Toyotas, shouldn't they have at least seen the thing zipping around on radar just about two nautical miles away? Given that a ship that size turns with the approximate handling and braking characteristics of a planet-sized block of lead, wouldn't their radar need to reach out way past a few nautical miles? And so wouldn't they have seen this entire thing unfolding?

I wonder if it's possible to track down who would have been on the bridge at that time and interview them. Another possible line of inquiry I guess.

They have a facebook group ... https://www.facebook.com/sailors.swanace/

Re the 138 knot thing, as re my previous post there's a cut here:

:24 “Track 781 just sped up to 46 knots. 50 knots. Closing in.”

CUT 2?, tracks move slightly and VV changes direction and camera jumps again.

:33 “138 knots. Holy s***. They’re going fast. Oh, it’s turning around.”

I assume here the easy assumption (that we would expect people to take from a cursory glance at the video) is that track 781 goes 46 knots, 50 knots, then 138 knots a good acceleration.

But when he says directly after with no cut

:36 “That one’s pretty much perfectly zero zero zero relative, right?”
:39 “Yeah.”

You can see track 781 is the boxed track near the cursor there's no speed given on the RADAR screen.

There is a different track almost exactly on the line inside the cone which I think is the directly forward of the ship (0,0,0) with a long velocity vector line.

The target ID would be on the right, under Selected Target, like where the image below says CLARA MAERSK. This image doesn't have the UNCLASSIFIED marking. UNCLASSIFIED in green looks like a security classification, and a different term would be used for unrecognized targets.

Re the 138 knot thing, as re my previous post there's a cut here:

:24 “Track 781 just sped up to 46 knots. 50 knots. Closing in.”

CUT 2?, tracks move slightly and VV changes direction and camera jumps again.

:33 “138 knots. Holy s***. They’re going fast. Oh, it’s turning around.”

I assume here the easy assumption (that we would expect people to take from a cursory glance at the video) is that track 781 goes 46 knots, 50 knots, then 138 knots a good acceleration.

But when he says directly after with no cut

:36 “That one’s pretty much perfectly zero zero zero relative, right?”
:39 “Yeah.”

You can see track 781 is the boxed track near the cursor there's no speed given on the RADAR screen.

There is a different track almost exactly on the line inside the cone which I think is the directly forward of the ship (0,0,0) with a long velocity vector line.

This is all correct. There is a cut at 31s, which begins the part of the video where they are talking about something going 138 kn. It's clearly taken at a different time from the previous cut. Target 781 is still selected but the data pane on the right hand side of the screen has been set to a different tab so its data isn't visible. I think this is all covered by my analysis a few posts up where we infer the speed of the targets by measuring them against target 781's known speed. The track you're referring to is the one I think they are talking about, but it apparent speed it 68 knots.

The target ID would be on the right, under Selected Target, like where the image below says CLARA MAERSK. This image doesn't have the UNCLASSIFIED marking. UNCLASSIFIED in green looks like a security classification, and a different term would be used for unrecognized targets.

Looking at it another way, it would sort of make sense if you are in the habit of recording screens, to have a mode for your instruments that clearly demonstrated from a quick scan of the video that it's not showing any classified info. Hrm. Either answer seems plausible to me at this point.

Would recording the screens inside the CIC/ICC happen often enough to warrant including that as a feature though? Most Navy members who have commented on the video have remarked on how unusual it would be to have a phone out recording anything inside that area. I think the "target not identified" idea makes a little more sense given the context.

This is all correct. There is a cut at 31s, which begins the part of the video where they are talking about something going 138 kn. It's clearly taken at a different time from the previous cut. Target 781 is still selected but the data pane on the right hand side of the screen has been set to a different tab so its data isn't visible. I think this is all covered by my analysis a few posts up where we infer the speed of the targets by measuring them against target 781's known speed. The track you're referring to is the one I think they are talking about, but it apparent speed it 68 knots.

It seems to me we can't actually know the apparent speed of the object mentioned at ~33 seconds based on the measurements you've made, because the dotted line indicating it's bearing/speed might be getting cut off by the edge of the radar display, and therefore it's total length would not be able to be measured.

Support below.

I'm using Mick's stabilized and brightened video.

Here is my best approximation of the dialogue in this clip (3rd clip that runs from ~31-39 seconds):

Speaker 1 says: “138 knots. Holy s***. They’re going fast. Oh, it’s turning around.”

Speaker 2 says (apparently in direct reply to speaker 1): “That one’s pretty much perfectly zero zero zero relative, right?”

Speaker 1 says (apparently in direct reply to speaker 2's question: "Yeah"

I'm assuming the object (and bearing/speed) the two speakers are discussing is the one I've circled in red. This is largely because the dialogue mentions the object being discussed is "pretty much perfectly zero zero zero relative," which I'm assuming would place it right along the dotted blue line below.

This frame is from ~33 seconds (when the dialogue begins):

1622418659200.png

We can can see the bearing of this red circled object changes throughout the clip that runs from ~31-39 seconds. It starts bearing towards about 255 degrees; it ends bearing towards about 285 degrees.

I've added a green bar over the top of the radar image at different points in time to show how the length of the dotted bearing/speed line changes in length. The green bar is the same length on both screenshots.

At ~31 seconds, here is what that looks like. The green bar covers the entire dotted speed/trajectory line on the radar image.

1622418851828.png

At ~39 seconds, the same length green bar does not cover the whole dotted bearing/speed line.

1622418962089.png

Edit: Clarity.

Last edited:
Back