Twitter's October Outage

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Twitter has been broken for about 30 minutes.

https://downdetector.com/status/twitter/map/
Metabunk 2020-10-15 15-02-35.jpg

Metabunk 2020-10-15 15-01-58.jpg

Normally this would be chalked up to random failure, and quite possibly it is. But it comes at a time where the role of Social Media in the public discourse, and in particular the election, is increasingly contentious. Twitter suspended the Trump Campaign's twitter account for posting a link to a dispute New York Post article regarding Joe and Hunter Bider, and the conservatives have been highly critical. Possibly someone has decided this is the right time for a cyber-attack.

Or maybe just someone messed up. We'll see. But the atmosphere is certainly going to lead to a variety of speculation.

Twitter describes it as "Irregularity with Twitter APIs" - but also say everything is working.

Metabunk 2020-10-15 15-07-39.jpg
Thousands of more people have reported issues since I last checked a few minutes ago, which means that millions are affected.

Metabunk 2020-10-15 15-09-27.jpg

CNBC noting the connection:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/15/twitter-is-down.html
The outage comes one day after Twitter and rival Facebook made the unprecedented editorial decision to limit the reach of a New York Post story that claims to show “smoking gun” emails related to Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and his son.
Content from External Source

Attachments

• Metabunk 2020-10-15 16-52-44.jpg
    Metabunk 2020-10-15 16-52-44.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 423
Twitter suspended the Trump Campaign's twitter account for posting a link to a dispute New York Post article regarding Joe and Hunter Bider,
Dorsey said its because there is doxxing in the article (which there is) and the documents were got by hacking. and allegedly posting links to hacked stuff is illegal on Twitter.

Facebook is the one who said they need to "fact check" it first.

Trump retweeted a satire story about it. I guess he can later claim he was just joking. But it looks kind of silly, and many of his followers will think it's true.

Metabunk 2020-10-16 08-27-45.jpg

(source)

No most of his supporters know what the Babylon Bee is a satire site . Like CNN MSNBC CBS ect. Most belive it was shutdown because James Woods got #CorruptJoeBiden to trend for too long . "
@RealJamesWoods

We did it once and broke Twitter. Try it again. Gets this trending, my friends: #ChinaBitchBiden "

No most of his supporters know what the Babylon Bee is a satire site . Like CNN MSNBC CBS ect. Most belive it was shutdown because James Woods got #CorruptJoeBiden to trend for too long . "
@RealJamesWoods
Do you believe that? Technically it makes no sense - if Twitter wanted to suppress a hashtag they could just do that.

Are you still listening to NPR?

Do you believe that? Technically it makes no sense - if Twitter wanted to suppress a hashtag they could just do that.

Are you still listening to NPR?
Yes I listen everyday to NPR National Propaganda Radio . I have yet to hear 1 positive story about Trump . The Bias among the media and social media is so bad you wonder why people go to alternative sources for their news . Yea Twitter can easily just make the trending go away . Which it does all the time . What is you opinion on the New York Post being censored for their Email story ? Is that the world you want to live in ?

If you're ever going to make that thread...
Source: https://www.thedailybeast.com/giuli...nt-accurate-americans-are-entitled-to-know-it

The attitude strikes me as similar to the one conspiracy theorists take: "it could be true, therefore it's important to share and publicise the claims", be it UFOs or the 9/11 collapse. Like the headline says, it doesn't matter if it's true, what matters is that it could be true. Rumors have always been that way, but news reporting didn't use to.
Im waiting for the facts to come in . daily beast :) Tony Bobulinski will attend Thursday night's debate as guest of President Trump. Hunters Business partner. The term conspiracy theory is used to shut down debate . Like the Race card it is a sign of desperation.

Back