The Varginha UFO

RTM

I was browsing Skeptoid during the week and read about the Varginha UFO in Brazil, going by that article it seemed to be a typical overblown case.
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4853

Then today we have this tweet from someone in the UFO community (I think Mick may have interviewed him last year) about an upcoming story and video.

Source: https://twitter.com/PostDisclosure/status/1585304013167546368?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Has anyone else heard of anything significant about this case? It's a big contrast to have something that is supposedly easily explained to now having a video.

Dont get too excited... there is such a thing as easily explained video. Looking at you, Navy.

But yeah, I'm also seeing "coming soon" posts on some boards. Usually accompanied by an exceedingly silly fake still picture that may be from a low budget documentary about the incident.

I guess if/when it gets released, we'll see what they got.

I was browsing Skeptoid during the week and read about the Varginha UFO in Brazil, going by that article it seemed to be a typical overblown case.
The three young women, aged 14, 16, and 22, saw the creature during a blustery rainstorm. The younger two were sisters who ran home and sent their mother to go see; the mother reported nothing but a smell of ammonia. Even though the winds were reported to be quite strong, the UFOlogists still attributed that smell to the creature the girls had seen.

Once this was reported in the local news as an alien, two farmers — a married couple — reported that they'd watched a UFO hovering over their field several days earlier. This was reported as well, and that's when people started taking account of just about anything unusual they'd seen over those days. Some of the most commonly retold events are that a convoy of military trucks went roaring through town; a pair of short alien beings were seen being treated at a local hospital; and also at the same hospital, mysterious trucks delivered a large amount of mechanical equipment or parts, as well as a body in a body bag.

Brazilian UFOlogists wrote and spoke a lot about the incident, but the government itself took no notice. At least, they didn't until the death of a military police officer, Marco Eli Cherese. Only 23 years old, he died some weeks after the incident. It was said that no cause of death could be determined, but that unidentifiable toxins were found in his body. It is reported that after having handled the body of the alien, he became infected with some disease and succumbed to it. Investigators later wanted to exhume his body for study, but were refused by a judge for reasons of national security. With this final straw, public outcry for the truth about the aliens was such that the military opened an official investigation into the reports.

At last the military investigation released its report, called an IPM for Military Police Inquiry. It was 357 pages and managed to track down the original cause of each of the many events reported — none of which had anything to do with each other, and none of which involved aliens or crashed flying saucers.

Time and time again, from the Roswell non-event of 1947 to the Phoenix Lights of 1997, we see UFO stories explained with verified facts down to the last detail with all the evidence presented, yet there are still true believers who scoff at that, dismiss it as fake evidence that proves a coverup conspiracy, and insist upon their preferred "alien visitation" explanation with no evidence at all.
Content from External Source

Has anyone else heard of anything significant about this case?
From your skeptoid article:
The 2022 documentary Moment of Contact interviews a number of the people who were involved, and presents it as a true case of alien visitation.
IMDB list the US release date as October 18th, 2022. Maybe it got delayed?

The 2022 documentary Moment of Contact interviews a number of the people who were involved, and presents it as a true case of alien visitation.
The movie is available for purchase on Amazon Prime. I've watched it, it's witness testimony (a lot of different ones), but no actual footage / pictures of alleged UFO nor creatures.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/10/19/where-to-watch-moment-of-contact-documentary-on-streaming/

From the article:

It was released digitally on Tuesday, October 18th 2022 in the United States and it’s ready to purchase on Amazon for $14.99 (standard definition), whereas the HD is $19.99.

It’s also available to UK viewers on Amazon Video and costs £8.99 (standard definition) or £9.99 (HD). Alternatively, it’s on Vimeo to buy for £19.98.

Thanks for the replies. I took the tweet above to indicate some video evidence, yet whatever evidence is out there currently seems to be very flimsy. I guess I'm just perplexed at the confidence in this and shouldn't be surprised at the quality control, or lack thereof, in the ET hypothesis group.

Thanks for the replies. I took the tweet above to indicate some video evidence, yet whatever evidence is out there currently seems to be very flimsy. I guess I'm just perplexed at the confidence in this and shouldn't be surprised at the quality control, or lack thereof, in the ET hypothesis group.

This story is nothing new to almost everyone here in my country (Brasil), it's just because of James Fox's "Moment of Contact" premiere that it regained traction. And also because now a video footage & photos were added to sound like a groundbreaking new episode to this almost two decades old, long wore out story of Alien creatures w/ their spacecraft crashed in the city of Varginha.

Therefore, whether the existence of that footage is a true fact or not doesn't actually matter at all, since the responsible for releasing it to the press, Mr. Vitorio Pacaccini, stated a couple days ago that he's waiting authorisation from the Military for releasing the footage to the press. Therefore, I suggest to the people who advocate for the veracity of this story to take a very good and long sit to more comfortably wait for the footage (err, better saying, the miserable 45 second video!) to be released to the public.

Anyway, maybe it's worth of note checking out the anatomical description of those "ETs de Varginha" given by the physician and UFO researcher Dr. Roger Leir to Art Bell (2004-08-29). The actual fact though is that he got that medical testimony from a Brasilian doctor at the Humanitas hospital, who agreed to meet with Leir for an interview:

Source: https://youtu.be/lIWk9ZGXxts

But, on the other hand, its also suspiciously interesting to note the very strong resemblance of these "ETs de Varginha" with those described as "Nazcar Mumies" from another old story that curiously also recently regained traction throughout the UFO Community thanks to an tweet by Robert Salas:

ADDED 07/20/22: Robert Salas on Twitter tweeted the following youtube video titled [English translation] “A MUMMY OF NAZCA FROM THE INSIDE – FIRST , recorded in Spanish. It appears to show the inside of one of the mummies, which they conclude bolsters the authenticity of the mummies. Following is a Google translation of the summary:
Thanks to the Channel of @Yosef ben Leví NEW CONSCIENCE we were able to access images of the interior of one of the small #Mummies of Nazca that came to the hands of an anonymous researcher, due to being poorly transported, the small and fragile body it broke. Inside, it has been possible to find structures of the neck and, in addition, numerous necrophagous insect larvae that found a habitat rich in nutrients, perhaps because there was a delay in the desiccation process. It is unfortunate that these valuable bodies are leaving Peru due to the inaction of the #Ministry of Culture, however the fortuitousness of what happened brings the advantage of showing the interior of one of these beings and will allow new independent investigations.
https://liveyourlight.wordpress.com...of-the-nazca-mummies-deserves-a-fair-hearing/

EDIT:
In the first five to ten minutes of the video that I posted there's a bit more detailed description of the anatomy of those supposed Aliens found in the city of Varginha, Brasil.

Last edited:
Anyway, maybe it's worth of note checking out the anatomical description of those "ETs de Varginha" given by the physician and UFO researcher Dr. Roger Leir to Art Bell (2004-08-29).
why dont you just tell us, instead of making us watch an hour long video?

Mr. Vitorio Pacaccini, stated a couple days ago that he's waiting authorisation from the Military for releasing the footage to the press.
I believe I watched the same interview you watched, he mentioned there are 2 films:
The first one is with the military, longer length, higher quality.
The other one is shorter, and is in the hands of civilians.

Pacaccini said that the military would gauge the reaction of the public to seeing the civilian film, then determine whether they release theirs or not.

James C. Fox (Moment of Contact producer/director) said today that $200K was offered for the civilian footage:

james.PNG

Link to thread:
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ye3rq4/this_is_james_fox_im_a_filmmaker_and_ufologist/

I believe I watched the same interview you watched, he mentioned there are 2 films:

Pacaccini said that the military would gauge the reaction of the public to seeing the civilian film, then determine whether they release theirs or not.

James C. Fox (Moment of Contact producer/director) said today that $200K was offered for the civilian footage:

Right on, that was the interview. Now that you mentioned it, I'll try to find it out on YouTube, in order to post it here.

Twenty bucks!!? That currently buys me a 1.75 of Tanqueray at Costco (it's a 2fer sale). And for a rehash of an old case. I'll stick to the Sceptoid episode and a G&T.
I'm a Paddy guy myself, but point taken.

The economics of things like this fascinate me. I suppose, in the long run, they make money, otherwise they wouldn't be producted. It a niche market, however. The average family isn't going to sit down with a big bowl of popcorn and watch it on family movie night.

@Rick Robson
How does one define "the UFO community" to which the speaker refers in the video? Would it be too harsh to call them unskeptical true believers, or gullible conspiracy theorists? There would seem to be an overlap of those categories, but one thing I don't see is any rigorous examination that might belie their deep conviction in interstellar aviation and alien creatures.

I'm a Paddy guy myself, but point taken.

The economics of things like this fascinate me. I suppose, in the long run, they make money, otherwise they wouldn't be producted. It a niche market, however. The average family isn't going to sit down with a big bowl of popcorn and watch it on family movie night.
Fox is a true believer though, his motive is proselytising, not profiteering. Although I guess the studio would like to turn a buck.

Fox is a true believer though, his motive is proselytising, not profiteering. Although I guess the studio would like to turn a buck.
He might be a true believer, but he has to eat. Unless he's independently wealthy, he has to make a living. My guess is he's incorporated and pays himself a salary.

Might be interesting to contact him as a potential investor in a future documentary and ask for the fiscal lowdown on previous projects. Ok if I use your name?:cool:

Last edited:
@Rick Robson
How does one define "the UFO community" to which the speaker refers in the video? Would it be too harsh to call them unskeptical true believers, or gullible conspiracy theorists? There would seem to be an overlap of those categories, but one thing I don't see is any rigorous examination that might belie their deep conviction in interstellar aviation and alien creatures.

Good question. I think not even the Ufologists are unanimous about the right answer to it. And, in fact, FYI I never belonged in any of the UFO communities nor ever participated in any of them.

Last edited:
The three young women, aged 14, 16, and 22, saw the creature during a blustery rainstorm. The younger two were sisters who ran home and sent their mother to go see; the mother reported nothing but a smell of ammonia. Even though the winds were reported to be quite strong, the UFOlogists still attributed that smell to the creature the girls had seen.
No mention what time this part of the saga occurred, but sounds like a story a couple underage sisters might concoct if they were out later than allowed and/or somewhere they shouldn't have been.

Last edited:
No mention what time this part of the saga occurred, but sounds like a story a couple underage sisters might concoct if they were out later than allowed and/or somewhere they shouldn't have been.
The link in the OP gives a pretty good overall of the incident and what was made of it. While Skeptoid episodes are short, ~10 minutes or so, @Brian Dunning does a good job of explaining things like this, at least superficially. One can always dig deeper.

For those who have followed the UFO (and conspiracy community at large) over the years, we know that "coming soon" usually never materializes into anything interesting. Expecting the same here.

I could find only an excerpt of the interview we referred to, but anyway it contains the main highlights of what concerns Pacaccini's statements about the releasing of those two footages, and it has subtitles in English. The highlights are in the timestamp that ranges from 1:41 up to the end of this video (5:06 mins.):

Source: https://youtu.be/34_IP_IiTnI

"The photos and videos that are in Military hands, I was already informed, and I agree, it has a whole Military strategy. .... so there is an agreement."

"Whether or not they will disclose, it will be the Military medium that will release it, ... what is in their hands we already know since 2012 ... the Military will decide, these great warriors of ours will decide when will be the time for them to bring to the public if they understand that will be the case. That's the deal I made with them."

" ... I already told them I will do the exhibition of the civil stuff whenever they allow it, but this material is already in our hands, let's say to be revealed 26 years ago."

"So I would say, this material exists, in civilian hands, this one we are working to bring to the public. Now the military, gentlemen, it's absolutely screaming, it's definitive, and much more sharp and much more better done, and of longer duration than that civil one, because the civil one was taken inside the hospitals, ..."

Then today we have this tweet from someone in the UFO community (I think Mick may have interviewed him last year) about an upcoming story and video.

Source: https://twitter.com/PostDisclosure/status/1585304013167546368?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Has anyone else heard of anything significant about this case? It's a big contrast to have something that is supposedly easily explained to now having a video.

Apparently James Fox has claimed that something big was due to occur prior to end of October. At least that's what the well known 'UFO Jesus' says on his web site. But I can recall similar 'something big' claims from James Fox where nothing happened. In fact I find it all rather tiresome the way supposed UFO disclosure is strung out like some 50s ' don't miss next week's exciting installment' sci-fi show.

Apparently James Fox has claimed that something big was due to occur prior to end of October. At least that's what the well known 'UFO Jesus' says on his web site. But I can recall similar 'something big' claims from James Fox where nothing happened. In fact I find it all rather tiresome the way supposed UFO disclosure is strung out like some 50s ' don't miss next week's exciting installment' sci-fi show.

That's kind of what I don't get, these days everything is all over social media and as the saying goes "the internet is forever": but yet it persists and people keep coming back for more.

That's kind of what I don't get, these days everything is all over social media and as the saying goes "the internet is forever": but yet it persists and people keep coming back for more.

It's what the kids on the internet called "Hopium", similar to people buying lottery tickets each week for a super small chance of winning, these kind of things put people in a better mood because there's something for them to look forward to, so they keep going back for more.

Does anyone know the exact location of the alleged UFO crash cited in Jame Fox's 'Moment Of Contact' ? I've tried to establish it from the film itself, and a brief overhead view, but have been unable to determine it. Apparently it is some 6 miles or so from Varginha....though even on that I am not certain.

The reason I ask is...the question of how any alleged alien gets from the supposed crash site in the country to a location in the middle of a town. There do not appear to be any routes an alien might take to get there, without being seen by most of the town. If one can pin down the exact ( alleged ) crash location, one can make that case even more strongly.

Does anyone know the exact location of the alleged UFO crash cited in Jame Fox's 'Moment Of Contact' ? I've tried to establish it from the film itself, and a brief overhead view, but have been unable to determine it
can you provide some quote and screengrabs? for those of us that don't want to pay 20$ to help you.

and a brief overhead view
assuming that is a modern day view in the film does it look like anything familiar on google maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jardim+Andere,+Varginha+-+State+of+Minas+Gerais,+Brazil/@-21.5679348,-45.43503,556m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x94ca92be8215ae89:0x973f2714f3142fb!8m2!3d-21.5693816!4d-45.4362724!16s/g/1ymwbp0m6

i'm taking location from this article (no idea if info is correct)
https://g1.globo.com/mg/sul-de-mina...afirmam-aparicao-conhecida-mundialmente.ghtml

crossing a piece of land in the Jardim Andere neighborhood.

Rua Benevenuto Braz Vieira – the same one where the girls would have seen the ET

A couple reported seeing an unidentified flying object on a farm 2 km from where the creature is said to have appeared. [1.24 miles]
add:
i get the girls location about here. they are in a walled garden (and google car only has so many years to choose from) but i think this field matches the National Geographic film. if 2 km is accurate it makes your search to match your film easier.
1677211133926.png
https://www.google.com/maps/@-21.56...ePEuGGmA!2e0!5s20110801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
Does anyone know the exact location of the alleged UFO crash cited in Jame Fox's 'Moment Of Contact' ? I've tried to establish it from the film itself, and a brief overhead view, but have been unable to determine it. Apparently it is some 6 miles or so from Varginha....though even on that I am not certain.

The reason I ask is...the question of how any alleged alien gets from the supposed crash site in the country to a location in the middle of a town. There do not appear to be any routes an alien might take to get there, without being seen by most of the town. If one can pin down the exact ( alleged ) crash location, one can make that case even more strongly
can you provide some quote and screengrabs? for those of us that don't want to pay 20$ to help you.

It is not possible to get screen grabs....it just comes up black. Must be something preventing it. Even tried recording a short bit in VLC and getting a grab off that...but even that doesn't work. In any case, the film really doesn't show much....just 'crash site' overlaying a drone view that can't be more that 300 metres wide. I suspect with a lot of searching on Google Earth one could eventually find it. It seems almost deliberately vague about where this 'crash site' is.

assuming that is a modern day view in the film does it look like anything familiar on google maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jardim+Andere,+Varginha+-+State+of+Minas+Gerais,+Brazil/@-21.5679348,-45.43503,556m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x94ca92be8215ae89:0x973f2714f3142fb!8m2!3d-21.5693816!4d-45.4362724!16s/g/1ymwbp0m6

i'm taking location from this article (no idea if info is correct)
https://g1.globo.com/mg/sul-de-mina...afirmam-aparicao-conhecida-mundialmente.ghtml

crossing a piece of land in the Jardim Andere neighborhood.

Rua Benevenuto Braz Vieira – the same one where the girls would have seen the ET

A couple reported seeing an unidentified flying object on a farm 2 km from where the creature is said to have appeared. [1.24 miles]
add:
i get the girls location about here. they are in a walled garden (and google car only has so many years to choose from) but i think this field matches the National Geographic film. if 2 km is accurate it makes your search to match your film easier.
1677211133926.png
https://www.google.com/maps/@-21.56...ePEuGGmA!2e0!5s20110801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

What the documentary doesn't tell you...but all this info is in Dr Roger Leir's original article ( one of the first, he interviewed the witnesses ) on the incident...which James Fox clearly never read. I read his article and finally pieced this together....

1) The location of the place where the farm couple see the UFO is 6 miles to the north west of Varginha

2) The location where Marco de Sousa claims to have seen the UFO crash is stated as 7 miles from the army base at Tres Coracoes....which would place it at least 8 miles south east of Varginha

In other words the two locations are at least 14 miles apart on opposite sides of Varginha. What is more, the farm couple saw the alleged crashing object no later than 5am...whereas De Sousa supposedly saw this crashing object 3 hours later. That's a mighty long crash....and the poor struggling UFO clearly managed another 14 miles distance. James Fox tries to give the impression these events are simultaneous and at a similar location. They are not !

I take Leir's article with a pinch of salt....but the point is, this is what the witnesses originally said, and it is not what Fox conveys. In fact even the odd 'smell' of the creatures is originally denied by the girls. And it was not the girls who brought the mother to the scene but a another relative. Basic facts...that have mysteriously changed over the years...

https://avalonlibrary.net/ebooks/Dr. Roger K. Leir - UFO Crash in Brazil - A Genuine UFO Crash with Surviving ETs.pdf

Last edited:
Basic facts...that have mysteriously changed over the years...
yea i read several older articles about it then watched the syfy doc and the ufo guys were giving all different facts from what i had previously read. Nick Pope (all young!) was the skeptic! <that was the best part of the show.

one thing i had to look up too, regarding the soldier who died, the show claimed:
28:28 "showed that his blood contained 8% of unknown toxic substances."

8% is a really really big amount.
anyway i translated the lab test in the vid

Presenca de vacuolos citoplasmaticoa.
Presenca de granulacoes toxicas finas em 8%
neutrfilos. Discrete poiquilocitose.

Presence of cytoplasmic vacuoles.
Presence of fine toxic granulations in 8%
neutrophils. Mild poikilocytosis.

none of those things seem unknown from my reading. and its not 8% of his blood, it was 8% of neutrophils (which apparently are the main type of white blood cells)

White blood cells protect the body from infection. They are much fewer in number than red blood cells, accounting for about 1 percent of your blood.
Patients - Blood Basics - American Society of Hematology https://www.hematology.org

Poikilocytosis itself is not a fatal condition, but it indicates an underlying medical condition. Its presence can result in doctors diagnosing some underlying conditions before complications occur.

Neutrophilia: Neutrophilia, also known as neutrophilic leukocytosis, occurs when your neutrophil count is too high, which is often the result of a bacterial infection. To combat the infection, immature neutrophils leave your bone marrow too soon and enter into your bloodstream
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/body/22313-neutrophils#:~:text=Neutrophilia: Neutrophilia, also known as,and enter into your bloodstream.

Toxic granulations are darker-coloured granules that can be seen under a microscope in neutrophils, the most abundant class of white blood cells. These granules are often larger and more abundant than normal granules. Their presence is non-specific and usually signals a bacterial infection or inflammation.
https://www.biron.com/en/glossary/toxic-granulation/#:~:text=Toxic granulations are darker-coloured,a bacterial infection or inflammation.

Source: https://youtu.be/KMyiH-dFqfs?t=1693

add oh and military pic of the guy they think the girls saw
mudinho.jpg

Last edited:
yea i read several older articles about it then watched the syfy doc and the ufo guys were giving all different facts from what i had previously read. Nick Pope (all young!) was the skeptic! <that was the best part of the show.

one thing i had to look up too, regarding the soldier who died, the show claimed:
28:28 "showed that his blood contained 8% of unknown toxic substances."

8% is a really really big amount.
anyway i translated the lab test in the vid

Presenca de vacuolos citoplasmaticoa.
Presenca de granulacoes toxicas finas em 8%
neutrfilos. Discrete poiquilocitose.

Presence of cytoplasmic vacuoles.
Presence of fine toxic granulations in 8%
neutrophils. Mild poikilocytosis.

none of those things seem unknown from my reading. and its not 8% of his blood, it was 8% of neutrophils (which apparently are the main type of white blood cells)

White blood cells protect the body from infection. They are much fewer in number than red blood cells, accounting for about 1 percent of your blood.
Patients - Blood Basics - American Society of Hematology https://www.hematology.org

Poikilocytosis itself is not a fatal condition, but it indicates an underlying medical condition. Its presence can result in doctors diagnosing some underlying conditions before complications occur.

Neutrophilia: Neutrophilia, also known as neutrophilic leukocytosis, occurs when your neutrophil count is too high, which is often the result of a bacterial infection. To combat the infection, immature neutrophils leave your bone marrow too soon and enter into your bloodstream
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/body/22313-neutrophils#:~:text=Neutrophilia: Neutrophilia, also known as,and enter into your bloodstream.

Toxic granulations are darker-coloured granules that can be seen under a microscope in neutrophils, the most abundant class of white blood cells. These granules are often larger and more abundant than normal granules. Their presence is non-specific and usually signals a bacterial infection or inflammation.
https://www.biron.com/en/glossary/toxic-granulation/#:~:text=Toxic granulations are darker-coloured,a bacterial infection or inflammation.

Source: https://youtu.be/KMyiH-dFqfs?t=1693

add oh and military pic of the guy they think the girls saw
mudinho.jpg

Skeptic Brian Dunning points out that the soldier who died had a cyst that was due to be removed and he actually died from infection following its removal. Tragic case....but actually nothing to do with any UFO.....

Skeptic Brian Dunning points out that the soldier who died had a cyst that was due to be removed and he actually died from infection following its removal.
does he ssay in the episode how he found that out?

edit add: i see the episode link also has text
Article:
Cherese, the young military police officer who died, did indeed die. The IPM report was not even necessary to tell us this, as there was nothing secret or strange about his death, which was reported in the newspapers. Cherese had had, for some time, a cyst under his left armpit, and had been scheduled for an operation to remove it even before the incident. Later, in the hospital, the surgical site became infected and he died — tragic, but neither unusual nor unexplained — and certainly insufficient to grant UFOlogists permission to exhume his body. The one thing the IPM report did add was that Cherese had not been involved with any events on January 20 — despite any number of people coming out in the decades since to claim that he had been. An easy claim to make, since Cherese was no longer around to defend himself.

Back