"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" Mark Twain

HoaxEye

Many "historical fact" or picture accounts on Twitter claim that Mark Twain said this, but no source is given e.g. Source: https://twitter.com/oldpicsarchive/status/849581411036168192

According to Wikiquote https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Mark_Twain this quote is unsourced or possible fake.
Example of a book "The Book of Uncommon Quips and Quotations", 2003: https://books.google.fi/books?isbn=8122308406 - attributed to Mark Twain but no source is given
upload_2017-4-6_6-53-41.png
quote link

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
After searching high and low I, also, cannot find a source to Mark Twain ever stating this.

I did find a reference to Alfonse de Lamartine, making a similar statement to a "Count D'orsey"
book/D'orsey's letters published 1852 link here

translation:
Lamartine told me yesterday: The more I see of the representatives of the people, the more I admire my dogs

This is the earliest actual source I could, find although there are also claims that a
Madame de Staël 1766-july 1817 said:
'The more I see of men the more I like dogs'.
Plus je vois l'homme, plus j'aimie chiens

I haven't been able to verify that yet. She would obviously predate Lamartine.

Either way, although Twain seems he would have shared the sentiment at times and he might have uttered it at a garden party at one time or other, it seems Lamartine would have predated him, as far as possible origins, as Twain would have been only 14 years old at that time.

There was also a similar usage published 1868.
A. Toussenel: L'esprit des bêtes: Mammifères de France
which translates to
"Rabies, which makes beasts resemble men of religious fanaticism, is not a dog, but a wolf. One will speak in his place. Let us summarize our opinion on the Dog:
The more one learns to know the man, the more one learns to estimate (value, respect) the dog."
*most quotes of him online translate it to "admire the dog".

Marianne

Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote The Chronicles of Avonlea, published in 1912. In Chapter VIII, The Quarantine at Alexander Abraham's, the "narrator" of the story state, "The more I saw of men, the more I liked cats."

This is the closest I have every read to the Mark Twain quote. Did LMM create this herself or was it an expression of the times?

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1354/1354-h/1354-h.htm

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
H Need Debunking: Hernando County platforms from more than 10 miles Flat Earth 9
Mick West KML Tool For Visualizing Google Earth Cameras, and More Tools for Investigating and Debunking 5
Rory Debunked: The Lunar Cycle affects birth rates Health and Quackery 33
Mick West Explained: A Dozen Or More Southern Valley UFOs UFOs and Aliens 0
John85 How could the interior collapse in WTC7 Move West Without More Visible Exterior Damage 9/11 63
Clouds Givemethewillies Why do inner contrails spread more than outer contrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Marin B Garrett Graff : "Bungling" is a more likely explanation for government conspiracy theories Conspiracy Theories 7
Mick West Debunked: 1 Hour on this Bike Can Power Your Home For 24 hours [More like 5 minutes] Science and Pseudoscience 18
Leifer 2 more [some holistic] MD’s found dead, total 8 Health and Quackery 19
Efftup more ISS UFO footage Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
O More on debunking "no persistent contrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Critical Thinker More scare-mongering, now about GMOs in beer, from Organics.org Health and Quackery 10
Balance Look-Up "No more lies" campaign Contrails and Chemtrails 79
MikeC World's biggest jet engine about to get bigger, quieter .......and make more contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Rusty Far Eye More information videos here. Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Libertarian Needs Debunking: More Guns = More Crime General Discussion 156
Dylmar Are there more persistent contrails these days? Contrails and Chemtrails 49
Mick West Debunked: High Bypass Turbofans do not make Contrails [actually they make more] Contrails and Chemtrails 150
Chew Debunked: "Fukushima released up to 100,000 times more cesium-137 than Chernobyl or nuclear weapons" Conspiracy Theories 1
Jarmey 657 More Strange lights in the Sky! [Short Sunlit Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 58
jvnk08 "More proof" video - guy dumping powder from bag Boston Marathon Bombings 5
Mick West Boston: Three more detained Boston Marathon Bombings 8
MikeC More analysis of "rainwater" - New Zealand Contrails and Chemtrails 89
Leifer Vaccinated children have up to 500% more disease than unvaccinated Health and Quackery 11
Mick West Debunking: "Is healthy food really more expensive?" Health and Quackery 2
Z seen this one? more chemtrail silliness Contrails and Chemtrails 5
scombrid Debunked: Plumes erupt from New Madrid Seismic Zone =2.9M quake follows. more coming? HAARP 159
MikeC HAARP causing more earthquakes? Conspiracy Theories 18
SR1419 Does more dust equal more contrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 9
J A lot to learn about contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Related Articles

Related Articles