The Anti Media, makes bogus claim that "CDC admits Ebola could be airborne"

So basically, if you are within three feet of someone, they could infect you "over the air" by spitting, sneezing, coughing, or anything else that projects drops a short distance.
Good call Mick. Viruses and pathogens frequently mutate and adjust and adapt to the hosts gene coding, in microbiology. I'll soon post an article I found stating that scientists have currently discovered up to 395 genetic mutations of Ebola. Please standby.

The real sad part is that it's in New York now, why did they let yet another person back with ebola?? And the guy goes and rides a subway and goes bowling... Now that's sad!
(USA TODAY) Friday oct 24

The fear-mongering conspiracy website called 'The Anti Media'

Yes. This plays on many levels. Certainly historical, documented outbreaks and plagues of various sorts over the centuries contribute to this irrational "fear", but also from the book (later produced into a movie) called "The Andromeda Strain".

(Though, thinking about this movie from over 40 years ago? I wonder how relevant it is, in peoples' psyches? Given that it IS somewhat unknown perhaps, by a certain set of a younger generation of folks).

I don't see where I said anything about mutating to survive airborne transmission, please do not falsely indicate such unless it's in my reply, further to enlighten you, when it was altered for airborne transmission, it made the virus unable to kill.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ebolaalready-mutated-more-300-182300353.html
It's mutated to survive airborne transmission? Evidence for that please.
That viruses mutate is not in dispute, so stop telling us about it.

Yes. This plays on many levels. Certainly historical, documented outbreaks and plagues of various sorts over the centuries contribute to this irrational "fear", but also from the book (later produced into a movie) called "The Andromeda Strain".

(Though, thinking about this movie from over 40 years ago? I wonder how relevant it is, in peoples' psyches? Given that it IS somewhat unknown perhaps, by a certain set of a younger generation of folks).
You kidding me I love all books written by Michael Crichton. Fantastic book, movie not so much.

I'll stop telling you stuff period tar peter
The title of the article from Yahoo is "How Ebola's 300+ mutations could make it even scarier". The key word in there is "HOW". It's inferring something could happen in the future, well heck anything could happen in the future. The rabies virus could mutate and become airborne too if we use that logic, since it regularly undergoes mutations. I too was somewhat worried about this a few weeks ago, but the odds of a mutation on this level happening are so remote that it's not worth worrying over. All organisms and the cells that make up those organisms are constantly mutating and adapting. So I wouldn't worry about it. Now if the CDC or WHO came out and discovered an airborne strain then that would be a totally different story

Did you read the article or just the title ? Read on friend.
researchers analyzed 99 ebola virus genomes...they were able to track 395 different mutations.
Content from External Source
Again to all, I'm not inferring, just reading an article, and not picking out every little petty invitation for dispute, such as a title saying how ebolas 300+ mutations could make it...yadayadayada

I don't see where I said anything about mutating to survive airborne transmission, please do not falsely indicate such unless it's in my reply, further to enlighten you, when it was altered for airborne transmission, it made the virus unable to kill.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ebolaalready-mutated-more-300-182300353.html
Then when the topic is the claim that ebola is currently airborne, not whether it mutates or not, it's just random trivia.
And yes, clearly if ebola *were* airborne it would not be a good thing.
Could you quote where it says the airborne version is impossible unable to kill? The link doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:
Then when the topic is the claim that ebola is currently airborne, not whether it mutates or not, it's just random trivia.
And yes, clearly if ebola *were* airborne it would not be a good thing.
Could you quote where it says the airborne version is impossible to kill? The link doesn't work anymore.

this looks like it.
395 Mutations And Counting
First, to get this out of the way: though it's theoretically possible that the virus could mutate to become airborne, we don't even know if it's physically possible. In the more than 100 years that we've studied viruses, we've never seen a human virus change its mode of transmission.
"That's a genetic leap in the realm of science fiction," Council on Foreign Relations senior fellow Laurie Garrett explains in the Washington Post.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebola...lYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDUzN18x

Thanks, that's the article, I think this was the quote I was after though -

An airborne mutation would require more than a few random changes coming together. Even when researchers have tried to genetically engineer an already deadly virus to go airborne, making those changes also made the virus unable to kill.
I read 'unable to kill' as 'unable to be killed', so 'impossible to kill' was my misquote.

Thanks, that's the article, I think this was the quote I was after though -

An airborne mutation would require more than a few random changes coming together. Even when researchers have tried to genetically engineer an already deadly virus to go airborne, making those changes also made the virus unable to kill.
I read 'unable to kill' as 'unable to be killed', so 'impossible to kill' was my misquote.
well, not sure if we are still on topic since this is about the H5n1 not ebola (past or present)- but in fairness it was ferrets (not humans obviously) and from what I'm seeing (its a long read!) it was only 6 ferrets.

I don't understand the 'titer'y science enough to tell if they can see a missing 'fatal' piece to the genetically engineered airborne virus that would make it not fatal in all cases. I'm not seeing any reference to that, but I might have missed it, as its a long article!

One of eight inoculated animals died upon intranasal inoculation (Table 1). In previously published experiments, ferrets inoculated intranasally with WT A/Indonesia/5/2005 virus at a dose of 1 × 106 TCID50 showed neurological disease and/or death (39, 40). It should be noted that inoculation of immunologically naïve ferrets with a dose of 1 × 106 TCID50 of A/H5N1 virus and the subsequent course of disease is not representative of the natural situation in humans.

Importantly, although the six ferrets that became infected via respiratory droplets or aerosol also displayed lethargy, loss of appetite, and ruffled fur, none of these animals died within the course of the experiment. Moreover, previous infections of humans with seasonal influenza viruses are likely to induce heterosubtypic immunity that would offer some protection against the development of severe disease
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/336/6088/1534.full

I found this article intriguing not only because it's from 2006, but the particular place the speech was given- Texas. About two years ago San Diego( my home town so I still read news on occasion) and Canada received funding to make a drug for Ebola specifically. And here we are today, those same two private laboratories have came up with the experimental drug ZMAPP, which was tested on the first missionaries whom contracted Ebola months back. A pattern? Or a debunking topic? Note the 2006 article 'claims' it's airborne...
www.prisonplanet.com/articles/April/2006.ebola
Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones/Prison Planet.com | April 3 2006. A top scientist ...Ebola victims suffer the most tortuous deaths imaginable as the virus kills by liquefying the internal organs. The body ...

Huh. So they were talking about a H5n1 experiment not ebola. Missed that.
When the yahoo article said -
Even when researchers have tried to genetically engineer an already deadly virus to go airborne, making those changes also made the virus unable to kill.
they neglect to mention what 'already deadly virus' they're talking about.

Some scientists recently attempted to genetically engineer a supervirus in a lab, trying to take the H5N1 bird flu and make it airborne — this is a terrifying experiment, and one where a mistake could cause a devastating pandemic.

But even though they could genetically engineer the virus so it could be transmitted through the air, that altered other important things about the virus as well. As Racaniello explains, it lost the ability to kill.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/will-ebola-go-airborne-2014-10
And yes, scanning that study is hard on the brain, congratulations on finding what is the most likely reference amid all that.

That was a good read!
Huh. So they were talking about a H5n1 experiment not ebola. Missed that.
When the yahoo article said -
Even when researchers have tried to genetically engineer an already deadly virus to go airborne, making those changes also made the virus unable to kill.
they neglect to mention what 'already deadly virus' they're talking about.

Some scientists recently attempted to genetically engineer a supervirus in a lab, trying to take the H5N1 bird flu and make it airborne — this is a terrifying experiment, and one where a mistake could cause a devastating pandemic.

But even though they could genetically engineer the virus so it could be transmitted through the air, that altered other important things about the virus as well. As Racaniello explains, it lost the ability to kill.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/will-ebola-go-airborne-2014-10
And yes, scanning that study is hard on the brain, congratulations on finding what is the most likely reference amid all that.

I found this article intriguing not only because it's from 2006, but the particular place the speech was given- Texas. About two years ago San Diego( my home town so I still read news on occasion) and Canada received funding to make a drug for Ebola specifically. And here we are today, those same two private laboratories have came up with the experimental drug ZMAPP, which was tested on the first missionaries whom contracted Ebola months back. A pattern? Or a debunking topic? Note the 2006 article 'claims' it's airborne...
www.prisonplanet.com/articles/April/2006.ebola
Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones/Prison Planet.com | April 3 2006. A top scientist ...Ebola victims suffer the most tortuous deaths imaginable as the virus kills by liquefying the internal organs. The body ...
we've gotta ask Mick why none of your links work. but thankyou for quotes! at least I can search the text.

I'm not sure we're allowed to use known conspiracy sites as 'sources' ;)

couldn't find it on prisonplanet but is this the same article here? on Before its News?
based on 'typical' 'kill off the population' conspiracy stuff, I think the 'scientist' here means they can weaponize and/or make ebola airborne TO kill off the population. I don't think he means ebola is already airborne. But I can see how it would read that way to some.

Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones/Prison Planet.com | April 3 2006
A top scientist gave a speech to the Texas Academy
of Science last month in which he advocated the need to exterminate 90%
of the population through the airborne ebola virus. Dr. Eric R. Pianka’s
chilling comments, and their enthusiastic reception again underscore the
elite’s agenda to enact horrifying measures of population control.

Pianka’s speech was ordered to be kept off the record
before it began as cameras were turned away and hundreds of students, scientists
and professors sat in attendance.

Saying the public was not ready to hear the information
presented, Pianka began by exclaiming, “We’re no better than bacteria!”,
as he jumped into a doomsday malthusian rant about overpopulation destroying
the earth.

Standing in front of a slide of human skulls, Pianka
gleefully advocated airborne ebola as his preferred method of exterminating
the necessary 90% of humans, choosing it over AIDS because of its faster
kill period. Ebola victims suffer the most tortuous deaths imaginable as
the virus kills by liquefying the internal organs
. The body literally dissolves
as the victim writhes in pain bleeding from every orifice.

Later, the scientist welcomed the potential devastation
of bird flu and spoke glowingly of China’s enforced one child policy, before
zestfully commenting, “We need to sterilize everybody on the Earth.”

At the end of Pianka’s speech the audience erupted
not to a chorus of boos and hisses but to a raucous reception of applause
and cheers as audience members clammered to get close to the scientist to
ask him follow up questions. Pianka was later presented with a distinguished
scientist award by the Academy. Pianka is no crackpot. He has given lectures
to prestigious universities worldwide.

One horrified observer was able to make notes on the
speech and our gratitude goes to Forrest M. Mims for bringing this sickening display to the attention
of the world.
http://beforeitsnews.com/politics/2...s-culling-90-of-human-population-2642310.html

Wow you found the same article elsewhere, that's cool. To be honest, I'm unaware of conspiracy sites. Earlier this month I was just researching the history of Ebola and that came up, but I guess it's known of since you found it elsewhere. I mainly thought the time related to the place and present was sort of coincidental. Texas. Currently the state where the most people have moved to in 2013-14 @ 345,something. Thanks for your link also, I will check it out.
we've gotta ask Mick why none of your links work. but thankyou for quotes! at least I can search the text.

I'm not sure we're allowed to use known conspiracy sites as 'sources' ;)

couldn't find it on prisonplanet but is this the same article here? on Before its News?
based on 'typical' 'kill off the population' conspiracy stuff, I think the 'scientist' here means they can weaponize and/or make ebola airborne TO kill off the population. I don't think he means ebola is already airborne. But I can see how it would read that way to some.

Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones/Prison Planet.com | April 3 2006
A top scientist gave a speech to the Texas Academy
of Science last month in which he advocated the need to exterminate 90%
of the population through the airborne ebola virus. Dr. Eric R. Pianka’s
chilling comments, and their enthusiastic reception again underscore the
elite’s agenda to enact horrifying measures of population control.

Pianka’s speech was ordered to be kept off the record
before it began as cameras were turned away and hundreds of students, scientists
and professors sat in attendance.

Saying the public was not ready to hear the information
presented, Pianka began by exclaiming, “We’re no better than bacteria!”,
as he jumped into a doomsday malthusian rant about overpopulation destroying
the earth.

Standing in front of a slide of human skulls, Pianka
gleefully advocated airborne ebola as his preferred method of exterminating
the necessary 90% of humans, choosing it over AIDS because of its faster
kill period. Ebola victims suffer the most tortuous deaths imaginable as
the virus kills by liquefying the internal organs
. The body literally dissolves
as the victim writhes in pain bleeding from every orifice.

Later, the scientist welcomed the potential devastation
of bird flu and spoke glowingly of China’s enforced one child policy, before
zestfully commenting, “We need to sterilize everybody on the Earth.”

At the end of Pianka’s speech the audience erupted
not to a chorus of boos and hisses but to a raucous reception of applause
and cheers as audience members clammered to get close to the scientist to
ask him follow up questions. Pianka was later presented with a distinguished
scientist award by the Academy. Pianka is no crackpot. He has given lectures
to prestigious universities worldwide.

One horrified observer was able to make notes on the
speech and our gratitude goes to Forrest M. Mims for bringing this sickening display to the attention
of the world.
http://beforeitsnews.com/politics/2...s-culling-90-of-human-population-2642310.html

Isn't it a bit unfair to say that this disease hasn't been studied?

Ebola has been around for decades and a great deal of effort has been put into understanding how it works, how it's spread, treatment protocols, etc.

It certainly isn't a "well" studied virus, not compared to things like influenza or HIV at least. But we do know things about it. All of the research and news is currently freely available from Science.

http://www.sciencemag.org/site/extra/ebola/?intcmp=HP-COLLECTION-PROMO-EBOLA

I've seen mentions of the recent transmission of Ebola from pigs to simians, but has anyone here mentioned the Ebola virus in 1989 in Reston, Virginia that was airborne and was transmitted from simian to simian? This was not from pigs. It was also what the movie, Outbreak, based a scene on. It even infected human workers at the site, but they were asymptomatic, only showing antibodies for it in their blood. It was lethal to the monkeys, but not the human beings. Even so, this shows that there is a form of this virus that goes from primate to primate in an airborne transmission. Fortunately, it hadn't mutated into a form that was lethal to human beings.

I've seen mentions of the recent transmission of Ebola from pigs to simians, but has anyone here mentioned the Ebola virus in 1989 in Reston, Virginia that was airborne and was transmitted from simian to simian? This was not from pigs. It was also what the movie, Outbreak, based a scene on. It even infected human workers at the site, but they were asymptomatic, only showing antibodies for it in their blood. It was lethal to the monkeys, but not the human beings. Even so, this shows that there is a form of this virus that goes from primate to primate in an airborne transmission. Fortunately, it hadn't mutated into a form that was lethal to human beings.

Can you provide any evidence of any of this?

Can you provide any evidence of any of this?
Here's an account of the occurrence from USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/10/ebola-1989-outbreak/13860929/

RESTON, Va. (AP) — It had all the makings of a public-health horror story: an outbreak of a wildly deadly virus on the doorstep of the nation's capital, with dozens of lab monkeys dead, multiple people testing positive, and no precedent in this country on how to contain it.

Americans' introduction to the Ebola virus came 25 years ago in an office park near Washington Dulles International Airport, a covert crisis that captivated the public only years later when it formed the basis of a bestselling book.

Initially thought to be the same hyper-deadly strain as the current Ebola outbreak that has killed hundreds in Africa, the previously unknown Reston variant turned out to be nonlethal to humans. But the story of what might have been illustrates how far U.S. scientists have come in their understanding of a virus whose very name strikes fear, even in a country where no one has fatally contracted it.
...a little further in:

Initial testing revealed something much worse: Ebola, specifically the Zaire strain, which had a 90 percent fatality rate in humans. Four workers at the quarantine facility tested positive for exposure to the virus.

Amazingly, they never even got sick.

Researchers eventually realized they were dealing with a different strain, one now known as Ebola-Reston. Though its appearance under a microscope is similar to the Zaire strain, Ebola-Reston is the only one of the five forms of Ebola not harmful to humans.
Info on Reston virus.

ETA: there's nothing about it being airborne.

Reston ebolavirus is transmitted through bodily fluids and is not airborne. The close quarters and cleaning/ handling of the monkeys cause the transmission, a good description here
Richard Preston‘s remarkable book, "The Hot Zone," chronicled an Ebola Reston virus outbreak at a primate quarantine facility just outside Washington. The monkeys didn’t have direct contact with each other. CDC and military experts had to consider the possibility that Ebola Reston virus might be airborne. But feces thrown about the room, aerosols used in pressure washing the monkey cages or contaminated gloves used to handle the animals could also have transmitted the virus.
http://www.newsmax.com/US/Ebola-droplets-Africa-air/2014/10/14/id/600727/

Wow you found the same article elsewhere, that's cool. To be honest, I'm unaware of conspiracy sites. Earlier this month I was just researching the history of Ebola and that came up, but I guess it's known of since you found it elsewhere. I mainly thought the time related to the place and present was sort of coincidental. Texas. Currently the state where the most people have moved to in 2013-14 @ 345,something. Thanks for your link also, I will check it out.
I'll be honest, I have a problem with stuff like the content of the Pianka speech being misrepresented (out of context).

Eric Pianka says--with no equivocation--that his views are being misrepresented.

Yes, the distinguished scientist does believe that for humans to survive in the long run,
they will need to be in much smaller numbers, and he did explain that as he accepted the
"Distinguished Texas Scientist" award from the Texas Academy of Science in 2006.
Of course, he never advocated any plan to do so, and anyone who implies otherwise in 2014 is being dishonest.

The best part, is that there's nothing mysterious here: Pianka is still around...the decorated scientist
is quick to correct any who jumped to the wrong conclusion. So, since Pianka made clear his actual position
way back in 2006, how does this crazy meme survive 8 years later?
To believe the CT, one would have to believe that Pianka is lying now...but that for some mysterious reason,
he--on probably the most public day of his life--accidentally let his secret de-population plan out of the bag. :rolleyes:

There is no record of the exact text of his speech. Only interpretations. The two minority interpretations
that led to this being a "Prison Planet" kind of CT were from two non-scientist creationists
(Forrest Mims & Bill Dembski) who chose to be alarmed. Evidently the hundreds of others in attendance were not.

The Pentagon in July awarded an $8.5 million grant to a pharmaceutical company to develop a vaccine against an aerosol version of Ebola, highlighting once again government fear the virus could go airborne.

The grant was awarded to Baltimore-based Profectus BioSciences Inc. by the Department of Defense through the Medical Countermeasure Systems-Joint Vaccine Acquisition Program, or DOD/JAP.

An Oct. 31 press release on another matter, a more recent $9.5-million grant for an Ebola vaccine, contained information about the July grant for a vaccine for aerosolized Ebola and Marburg viruses.

Reads the release: “In July 2014, Profectus BioSciences and the GNL were awarded a 3 year $8.5M grant from the DOD/JVAP to support development of a lyophilized trivalent VesiculoVax™-vectored vaccine to protect against all major strains of Ebola and Marburg viruses delivered as aerosols.”

The release said the “lyophilized trivalent vaccine is being tested in both pre-exposure and post-exposure studies to confirm protection of non-human primates from aerosol exposure to Ebola and Marburg viruses.”

Profectus BioSciences did not return WND phone and email queries seeking comment on the vaccine development.

The firm’s president, Jeffrey Meshulam, further did not reply to an email seeking comment.

An extensive search of the Profectus BioSciences website could not find any further information about the program to vaccinate against an aerosol version of Ebola.

It’s just the latest indication the government is concerned about Ebola going airborne.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2014/11/pentagon-spent-millions-for-airborne-ebola-vaccine/#p55RcVtw3C5M5SFg.99
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...86179fe1388a4c395d0d0527b5e&tab=core&_cview=0

One thing I noticed in the link above I gave to wikipedia's article on Reston-Ebola virus. In the 'Notes' section there's this:

Ebola virus has not been confirmed to spread naturally by airborne means with the exception of experiments conducted by USAMRIID and the Soviet Union. Since Reston virus is closely related to Ebola virus, it was inferred that it could not spread by airborne means.[16]
The link does not work for me; is anyone else able to access it?

I'm curious as to what experiments were done and what 'exceptions' they are referring to.

I am certain that it has been said before but there is a difference between airborne and aerosolized.

Airborne: The "germ" is able to survive in dry air on its own and still be viable. Examples measles and TB.

Aerosolised: It needs to be carried in medium, like mucus, through the air to be viable. Example a sneeze and influenza.

Also you need a certain number of viable cells to contract the disease and Ebola has a low contagion rate (2 people but I will check).

Also 8.5million is not that much in medical research terms.

Actually, I remember a NOVA video (which I showed the biology class I taught in the early 2000's) that mentioned that they suspected that it traveled through the air vents at the place the monkeys were held, but another site that I recently saw on the internet says a different view. It says, "It is likely that the Room H monkeys were sub-clinically harboring EBO on arrival." Apparently, some people don't mention what they suspected back in 1990, when I think NOVA released the video. I'm not sure what to think now. A Fox News article says, "It may have been the first time the infection spread through the air – they think it was through the air ducts – because it infected monkeys that weren’t in the same room. This is the basis for today’s debate over whether Ebola can be transmitted through the lungs, a discussion that has never been fully resolved, Murphy said."

Back